ADVERTISEMENT

Pistol Pete Maravich - The Best I Ever Saw

My daughter just had to have a pink pair. Yep, just a novelty item anymore/

While we're reminiscing about shoes ... the most comfortable pair of athletic shoes that were ever on my feet were Adidas Tobaccos.

I suppose they were just the standard Adidas shoe with suede uppers, but my other Adidas didn't feel as good.

adidas-originals-tobacco-size-exclusive.jpg

good enough to be better than any black player that ever played in college
I'm not buying it. It was a different time. Guys now are 10 times as athletic, can jump out of the gym and blow by you. Those cute little layups would get swatted to half court in todays game. John Wall wouldve dunked on his face and Anthony Davis wouldn't even let him get a shot off.

I wore them in school athletics as well, but with multiple pairs of socks. They had absolutely no cushion and caused some awful blisters. They still make them, maybe Cal can switch back and our players get to appreciate the past. Now I'm sure we can get them in blue/white too.
I have them in UK blue!
$9 a pair white lowcuts when i was in grade school.

My old man acted like I was crazy for wanting a pair of sneakers that cost $8.99. I can still hear him hollering $8.99 for a pair of sneakers! I got a pair, but I had to cut grass for neighbors to get the money.

Reactions: UKvisitor and blubo
I'm not buying it. It was a different time. Guys now are 10 times as athletic, can jump out of the gym and blow by you. Those cute little layups would get swatted to half court in todays game. John Wall wouldve dunked on his face and Anthony Davis wouldn't even let him get a shot off.

You don't have to go out of Maravich's era to find a better shooting guard. Austin Carr averaged 38 ppg and shot 55.6% his junior year. Carr played on a real team with a real coach.

Reactions: UK90
Pete was the most skilled player ever with the basketball. His ball skills, dribbling, passing, all of it. Most skilled player at practice drills ever. NOBODY can outskill Pete with the ball in history. Go watch his YouTube basketball drills video collection made at age 38. You tell me he ain't the best you ever seen. Pete was born with a basketball like tiger woods was with a golf ball. Pistol passed 10,000 hours of ball handling practice at age 16. The most hardcore practice player that ever lived on this planet.
The practice videos will leave you amazed. His drill knowledge is unmatched by anybody who knows the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Levibooty
Pete was the most skilled player ever with the basketball. His ball skills, dribbling, passing, all of it. Most skilled player at practice drills ever. NOBODY can outskill Pete with the ball in history. Go watch his YouTube basketball drills video collection made at age 38. You tell me he ain't the best you ever seen. Pete was born with a basketball like tiger woods was with a golf ball. Pistol passed 10,000 hours of ball handling practice at age 16. The most hardcore practice player that ever lived on this planet.
The practice videos will leave you amazed. His drill knowledge is unmatched by anybody who knows the game.

Are You poking fun? Your not good at... Ya post the Facts to prove your self Wrong.

One thing for sure, Pete could play basketball better than you can comment in a thread on CatsIllus.

Last edited:
You don't have to go out of Maravich's era to find a better shooting guard. Austin Carr averaged 38 ppg and shot 55.6% his junior year. Carr played on a real team with a real coach.

Exactly. Carr scored nearly the same despite taking far fewer shots with a far better shooting percentage and playing far more efficiently. In addition, unlike Maravich, Carr actually played defense and helped his team win and get to the NCAA tournament.

In truth, Maravich might not have even been best guard of his era. When you actually closely examine things like percentages, efficiency and what they did to help their team win, guys like Austin Carr and Rick Mount (who carried Purdue on his back to the 69 national championship game while averaging over 35 and shooting better percentages than Maravich) compare very favorably.

Last edited:
One thing that stands out from the video is that he was able to dribble and pass like player from today's era (maybe better) at a time when the players had to keep their hand on top of the ball. His hand never goes to the back of the ball except on passes. I find that particularly impressive. He must have had Johnny Bench hands (huge hands for those that don't know); the basketball sits perfectly in his hand.

I wonder if a coach would allow a player to make the passes that are shown in that video in today's games. You've seen Cal get on players for trying a fancy pass when a simple one will do.
Great pickup UK3K and the same point I've made over and over. The athletes are better now days no doubt but the single biggest difference in the game today vs any other time is the way they allow you to handle the ball. Crossovers, change of direction, etc are so much easier today because of cupping the ball which was not allowed then. It really changes everything on offense and the speed of the game. Watch his highlight tape and you'll see if is just as quick with his moves as today players because of his anticipation, feel, timing and his hands, all with his hand on top of the ball. Amazing feel.

Reactions: UK3K
BY FAR most overrated player in basketball history.

How old are you 6? Pete set scoring records in college that will never be broken. I mean I could die tonight, come back in 100 years and Pete would still hold the single season scoring average, career scoring average and most career points, all in 3 years and without the 3 point shot. Pete could do things with a basketball that most of us had never seen before. Carr, Mount and Calvin Murphy along with Pete were the best college guards of their era.

Reactions: UKvisitor
Are You poking fun? Your not good at... Ya post the Facts to prove your self Wrong.

One thing for sure, Pete could play basketball better than you can comment in a thread on CatsIllus.
i wasn't poking fun and it was an opinion piece. Sorry to offend you. Pete is the greatest in my book. Watching the instruction videos blew my mind about his skill with the ball.
I wish I was around when he played his prime years.

Reactions: UKvisitor
One of the great guards of the era is the only player to lead the league in points and assists: Tiny Archibald. Proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. Same era. Playing against the same foes, Tiny led the pack.

I'm not talking about just stats, etc. Pete did what he did when the other team only had to stop him, but none could. His passing and getting off a shot was amazing.

Best college basketball player of all time.

you're funny, John Wall never passed or handled the ball as good as Pete, not even close. 10 times as athletic? You are putting out a lot of nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT