ADVERTISEMENT

Pieces ALMOST match 2012

BlueEmpire

Senior
Mar 26, 2009
Teague=Wagner (can get to the rim at will)
Lamb= Reeves (your scoring ace)
Miller=Mitchell (steady, smart experience)
Jones=Thiero (strong, athletic glass cleaner)
MKG= Shep (straight up motor)
Davis*=

This is where Bradshaw has to develop.

So far, I’m feeling good about this. It’s there guys, I’m telling ya.

Davis*=

This team is much deeper than 12. You didnt even mention Dillingham or Edwards.

We are witnessing greatness; the true Fab Five plus the 4 experienced ones.

We are going to butcher teams the rest of the season on our way to the title.

This team is much deeper than 12. You didnt even mention Dillingham or Wagner.

We are witnessing greatness; the true Fab Five plus the 4 experienced ones.

We are going to butcher teams the rest of the season on our way to the title.
Yes, didn’t even mention the bench….and THAT is the scary part for errrrbody else. We got horses and horsepower.

This team is nothing like the 2012 team. Davis, Jones anf MKG were defensive studs. We don’t have a single player that can defend like them.

This team has incredible depth - depth that 2012 couldn’t dream of. This team is closer to 2015 in that they keep coming in waves. If this team can learn to defend, they will be impossible to beat.

the-original-stretch-armstrong.webp

This team is nothing like the 2012 team. Davis, Jones anf MKG were defensive studs. We don’t have a single player that can defend like them.

This team has incredible depth - depth that 2012 couldn’t dream of. This team is closer to 2015 in that they keep coming in waves. If this team can learn to defend, they will be impossible to beat.
I’m not comparing talent or ceiling of individuals. We have what it takes at each position SIMILAR to 2012.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Teague hit some clutch jumpshots in that 2012 tournament. Wagner will have to work on his shot to hit those.
This is correct. Gotta be good from 15-16’. However, Reed, like his daddy has a cold pull up. Although his daddy could come off of a curl with the ball and elevate 40”🤣

Reactions: RunninRichie
Yes. This team does compare with 2012 but I do believe this team is a better shooting team and I love the run and spread of the offense this season!

Reactions: BlueEmpire
Two things stand out to me in this comparison:

1. Thiero's great but he's not Terrence Jones.
2. Bradshaw is also great but he's absolutely not AD. Anthony Davis lives in rarified basketball air that very few can compare to.

Also comparing MKG to Sheppard is weird because they're totally different players. Same with Miller and Mitchell. And yeah, not having Dillingham accounted for is strange.

If the two teams were to go up against each other, I have no idea how our current team would hope to defend 2012. 12 would just abuse them in the post and MKG would drive at will.

2012 UK would walk all over this year's field. 2012 KU/UNC probably would as well.

You guys are comparing a 2012 team by seasons end to this team too. Just remember this team is mostly freshmen and should be leaps and bounds better by March than they are right now. That 2012 team got better and better through the season as well, but they were not crushing people early in the seaaon.

Sorry, but no.

Those player comparison you made are laughable. Do you really believe them?

This team seems to be our deepest, best and most fun to watch in awhile. When they run, play fast and don't have to think about what they are doing, they are going to be tough to beat.

I think we do. I think Ugo has great defensive instincts. Let’s just realize ain’t gonna be nobody that compares to AD’s ability to only jump when he has to. You could not pump fake AD, when he left his feet the ball was leaving hands. I do think we can get good enough on the defensive end to win a title.

Davis*=

I dont think its a terrible comparison , maybe the individual characteristics are a little different , but no big deal . the difference is defense , this team hasnt grown up enough yet to realize the importance of total concentration on D , you cant just have a high motor on O .... but another huge huge difference in this teams favor .. college basketball SUCKS . There are no 15 Wisc teams lurking out there . The game has changed a ton and teams are not as experienced or talented .

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
someone drinking way too much koolaid. Davis made that team into a championship caliber one. Without him they probably don't make FF. Show me a player that is anywhere close to Davis? Wagner could be that type of player IMO but no one is close to filling those shoes rn.

AD was best player to ever put on a UK uniform. 2012 would beat this team by 20.
Love ya, bro. But I have to say that the correct answer for the "Best player ever to wear a Kentucky basketball uniform" was the one, and the ONLY ....

"The Horse"

FIFY

Now, if AD would've stayed 4 years, ok. Now you're in the ballpark, and AD was absolutely special. I'm not dissin' the thought, but Dan Issel will forever be the best in that category for me.

But I'm an old blue hair. What do I know ?

someone drinking way too much koolaid. Davis made that team into a championship caliber one. Without him they probably don't make FF. Show me a player that is anywhere close to Davis? Wagner could be that type of player IMO but no one is close to filling those shoes rn.
Also Darius Miller. He doesn't get near enough credit for what he brought to that team.

Depth makes this team different from some of Cal’s earlier, dominant teams.

Onyenso gets two Holy Crap blocks just about every game and he’s like tenth man? I think Adou would start for 15 other teams in the SEC.

Why would 2012 care about depth when their top 6 is so outstanding?

Depth is among the most overrated qualities of a team.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Davis*=

Meh. I think people forget just HOW good that '12 team was. Generational talent in Davis as your leader trumps everything else you're trying to do ...

Also Darius Miller. He doesn't get near enough credit for what he brought to that team.
true Miller definitely stepped up that year. I think Cats could definitely take it all this year, pieces are there, but some guys need to progress further and learn how to dominate and destroy good teams and take their will to fight from them.

That team didn't need depth. Those guys were good enough to play 35 mpg .... got lucky to NOT have a serious injury.
In a way, a guy like Miller off the bench represents a ton of depth in a single player. He could fill in and play any role 1-4 in a pinch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT