ADVERTISEMENT

Personal Tomato Crop

UK82

All-American
Feb 27, 2015
Weather has been excellent so far for tomatoes in my neck of the woods. Having a banner year. Hopefully it stays the course. Approaching August and I'm just curious if other growers are having similar results.

Last edited:
I've got early and late season tomatoes 🍅 San Marzanos are my favorite. Those went in late because I like them for August and September. As of now though I have mostly small types, Sunset Torch 🍅 also I got Sun Dripper🍅, and Super Sweet 100s. Cherokee Purples are still few weeks out, not canning this summer so if my San Marzanos do good I'll cook them down and make sauce for macaroni and tomatoes.

Getting some good indeterminates. Last year was a struggle for me; but I am new at this. Plenty of cherries. I grow cherries and some dwarfs in a Greenstalk. Been a pretty good year.

Reactions: 55wildcat and UK82
It's been a battle for mine. My big boys are cracking from the rain this summer. I've got one big boy plant that is stunted. I've also been battling early blight but I hope I have it under control.

This year I've trying to use a string trellis and so far so good. They are at about 6 feet so far with 8 feet being the top of the trellis.

The husky cherry is going good if I can just keep the deer out of them.

It's been a fairly mild Summer here in Louisville. Tomatoes grow best in temperatures between 70 and 85 degrees. So far we've only had a handful of days in the 90s but that's about to change beginning with today. I planted mostly heirlooms and have had only mild cracking from the Cherokee Purples. Other than that no blossom end rot which usually is a problem. Of course the critters have helped themselves to a few but that's to be expected.

Reactions: 55wildcat
poster-4-pdm2.jpg

It's been a battle for mine. My big boys are cracking from the rain this summer. I've got one big boy plant that is stunted. I've also been battling early blight but I hope I have it under control.

This year I've trying to use a string trellis and so far so good. They are at about 6 feet so far with 8 feet being the top of the trellis.

The husky cherry is going good if I can just keep the deer out of them.
Mine cracked early, but the rest of the crop seems better. Made a cheese omelette today and sliced one up on top. So good.

Weather has been excellent so far for tomatoes in my neck of the woods. Having a banner year. Hopefully it stays the course. Approaching August and I'm just curious if other growers are having similar results.
---
A wilting disease of some sort, or maybe blight whacked about four of my 'mater plants & a couple of pepper plants, too. Other than that I've got a really good crop.

Reactions: UK82
It's been a fairly mild Summer here in Louisville. Tomatoes grow best in temperatures between 70 and 85 degrees. So far we've only had a handful of days in the 90s but that's about to change beginning with today. I planted mostly heirlooms and have had only mild cracking from the Cherokee Purples. Other than that no blossom end rot which usually is a problem. Of course the critters have helped themselves to a few but that's to be expected.
My wife has been getting a bumper crop of heirloom tomatoes here in Louisville. Maybe it is just the varieties that she chose (Rose, Pink Delicious and Brandywine). I am just the happy beneficiary.

---
A wilting disease of some sort, or maybe blight whacked about four of my 'mater plants & a couple of pepper plants, too. Other than that I've got a really good crop.
Yeah I've had troubles with it also. They say keep plants separated that slow spread but it doesn't help. I always plant enough for me my neighbors, bugs and blight. I've lost 10 and still have 30

My wife has been getting a bumper crop of heirloom tomatoes here in Louisville. Maybe it is just the varieties that she chose (Rose, Pink Delicious and Brandywine). I am just the happy beneficiary.
---
I've settled on Carmello, Early Girls & Ramapo. The Early Girls have been fantastic this year.

Reactions: UK82 and DSmith21
Do y’all water your tomato plants daily?
I do especially now that the temps will be blazing for the next several days. I also have several plants in EarthBoxes. I have to keep the reservoir from going dry so that means 2-3 times per day. In-ground plants just once in the morning.

Reactions: Wesley91581
World's largest tomato variety. The Steakhouse tomato. Up to 3 pounds. Must be hell to stake.

05433.jpg

Mine are doing well this year. Last year was awful.
How do you all eat your's? If you haven't tried a tomato pie, I suggest making and trying it.

Got this from the Courier Journal years ago. Crust makes it, don't use store bought.
Also good with bacon.

Crust
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t pepper (freshly ground best)
1 t salt
2 t baking powder
1/2 cup buter
2/3 cup milk

Filling
2 to 3 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and sliced
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
2/3 cup mayo

Combine flour, pepper, salt and baking powder. Using 2 knives or pastry
blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture to make a mealy looking
mixture.

dd milk and stir gently to blend well. Dough should be soft and just a
little sticky. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead the dough by
folding over a few times.

Chill for 10 minutes. Divide the dough in half and roll out to fit a
10-inch deep-dish pie plate.

Heat oven to 400.

To peel tomatoes, dip in boiling water for 10 seconds, core them with small
knife, then slip the peels off. Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally.
Scoop the seeds out of hte seed pockets with your finger. Slice the
tomatoes thickly and place a layer in the pie. Sprinkle with a little salt
and some basil, then layer with more tomatoes, repeating the process until
all the tomatoes are gone.

Top with cheese then spread mayo over the top. Use enough tomatoes to fill
generously.

Roll out remaining dough and cover pie, crimp the edges to seal them. Cut
several slits in the top of the pie and brush with milk (topping
idea..sprinkle with kosher salt or Paresan cheese).

Bake 25 min, let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Definitely gonna be a fresh salsa weekend. Anyone have a tip for keeping the tomatoes from getting sunburned from the heat and sun this week?

Mine are doing well this year. Last year was awful.
How do you all eat your's? If you haven't tried a tomato pie, I suggest making and trying it.

Got this from the Courier Journal years ago. Crust makes it, don't use store bought.
Also good with bacon.

Crust
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t pepper (freshly ground best)
1 t salt
2 t baking powder
1/2 cup buter
2/3 cup milk

Filling
2 to 3 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and sliced
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
2/3 cup mayo

Combine flour, pepper, salt and baking powder. Using 2 knives or pastry
blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture to make a mealy looking
mixture.

dd milk and stir gently to blend well. Dough should be soft and just a
little sticky. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead the dough by
folding over a few times.

Chill for 10 minutes. Divide the dough in half and roll out to fit a
10-inch deep-dish pie plate.

Heat oven to 400.

To peel tomatoes, dip in boiling water for 10 seconds, core them with small
knife, then slip the peels off. Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally.
Scoop the seeds out of hte seed pockets with your finger. Slice the
tomatoes thickly and place a layer in the pie. Sprinkle with a little salt
and some basil, then layer with more tomatoes, repeating the process until
all the tomatoes are gone.

Top with cheese then spread mayo over the top. Use enough tomatoes to fill
generously.

Roll out remaining dough and cover pie, crimp the edges to seal them. Cut
several slits in the top of the pie and brush with milk (topping
idea..sprinkle with kosher salt or Paresan cheese).

Bake 25 min, let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.
My wife makes a rustic tomato pie that is awesome. I love slices as a side with corn on the cob, or a sandwich with pimento cheese, or sliced over scrambled eggs. It’s all good! Had some last night with some quiche.

Reactions: Ollie and UK82
Mine are doing good. Vines are loaded and still getting blooms. Beans as well this year. Picked a bushel this week and not done yet.

Reactions: blubo
Made this couple of years ago. very good.

I have 24 tomato plants. And I just made the above with 6 different varieties of tomatoes from Cherokee purple to sun gold cherry and black cherry. Also made this and had a killer meal. Together or alone they’re both amazing.

Reactions: Ollie and blubo
I have 24 tomato plants. And I just made the above with 6 different varieties of tomatoes from Cherokee purple to sun gold cherry and black cherry. Also made this and had a killer meal. Together or alone they’re both amazing.

I just bookmarked that mushroom pasta recipe. anything mushrooms i’m all in.

Gonna try one of these recipes next, or maybe a combination of the two.

Reactions: Ollie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT