ADVERTISEMENT

People who have biting dogs...

hmt5000

All-American
Aug 29, 2009
What should be the law on this? What if someones dog bites a one person?... But then lets say it bites multiple people and some have to go to the dr for treatment???

Should the owners be liable? Obviously if a death or dismemberment I think we'd all agree the owner should have to pay.

I saw where 2 pitbulls attacked a horse and no one stopped it. The video cut out because it became so gruesome... I don't think just the dogs are to blame for these situations.

I couldn't watch that video.

I think it should be on a case-by-case. For example, if you come on my property uninvited and one of my dogs takes a bite out of you, your fault. You entered their territory without permission from the owner. (I have two old cockers and a lazy old beagle, so this is purely hypothetical)

If I let my dogs roam loose around the neighborhood and they bite other people or kill someone else's pet, my fault. I am being negligenct in caring for my pet and endangering the saftey of my neighbors.

I've had to sue a neighbor for vet bills in the past. About 8 years ago we lived in rental house in a rural area with each house about 100 yards apart. Backyard fence was a 4-foot livestock wire fence with the squares that a dog's head could easily fit through.

The neighbors to my left had two pitbull/mastiff mixes that they let roam loose to the point they were pretty much feral. These damn dogs were massive. I'd run them out of my driveway many times. They were afraid of humans but showed signs of extreme aggression if they saw our dogs in our fenced back yard.

One day my beagle was baying his head off and it sounded like he was injured or something. I thankfully happened to be messing around in the back yard when I heard one of my other dogs "scream" and took off running to the fence baseball bat in hand. Those dogs were on the other side of the fence (still on my property) and they'd pulled one of my cockers head through the fence. One of them had him by the ear and the other one was going for his throat. I hopped the fence without hesitation and hit the one that still had my dog's ear in its mouth in its face with the bat (felt good at the time, felt guilty about it later). It ran off and my dog pulled his head back through the fence, bleeding heavily. My dog ended up needing 16 stitches in his jaw/throat and it cost me close to $2,000. I filed a police report the next morning with pictures of the injuries, copies of my vet bills, pictures of the attacking dogs on my property and pictures of damage to the fence. Neighbors refused to pay my bills when I politely asked. So, I sued them for vet bills and fence repair. Judge ruled in my favor and ordered them to surrender the dogs to the county or face criminal charges because, unbeknowst to me, this wasn't the first time they'd maimed a neighbor's pet. We never spoke another word to each other and we moved shortly therafter.

Havent looked at it in a long time but most states used to have the one bite rule. Basically meant if the incident is the dogs first time biting, the owner isnt liable. However anything after, the owner is liable because now they know the dog bites.

Maybe later some states added rules in for particular breeds since they were at least thought to be naturally more vicious. Animal rights people go to the mat for breeds like pitbulls, swearing they arent inherently dangerous. I don't know enough about it, but i do know the undeniable problem is when a particular pitbull is violent, they are extremely dangerous which presents a problem.

I think you should control your animals and should be liable if you do not. However, if someone else is doing something they should not to me or family, all bets are off. I have 4 dogs and walk 2 of them daily. 1 of them that I walk (just around the house now) is 13 1/2 years old and on her last leg. In her youth she was very protective but not aggressive. She would not let people touch her and would verbally let you know if you tried. Never bitten anyone but I believe she would have had they pushed the issue.

When my boys (twins) were younger (around 4) I had a malamute that was protective and bit a boy (11 or 12) who was purposely hitting them with a big stick and cut one of their faces. The dog took over and bit the boy on the arm that had the stick. Once bitten, the boy gave up and ran to his parents. That kid wound up with a few stitches from the bite. The parents chocked it up to their son learning a valuable lesson so...

Havent looked at it in a long time but most states used to have the one bite rule. Basically meant if the incident is the dogs first time biting, the owner isnt liable. However anything after, the owner is liable because now they know the dog bites.

Maybe later some states added rules in for particular breeds since they were at least thought to be naturally more vicious. Animal rights people go to the mat for breeds like pitbulls, swearing they arent inherently dangerous. I don't know enough about it, but i do know the undeniable problem is when a particular pitbull is violent, they are extremely dangerous which presents a problem.
I believe that most regardless of the breed if raised properly are not dangerous. Wife had a pit when we met that would lick you to death maybe, but she would not harm a fly. She was a bruiser though weighing in at around 90lbs so was intimidating when she was on a walk. One of our dogs now is a pit mix (rescue dog) and is wired for sound. She is not aggressive unless you try to do something to my daughter. She has bitten me twice (early on) when I was messing jokingly around with my daughter. The bites were not bad, just warnings, but I have since trained her that that is not acceptable. Now she just gets in between us and growls/whines to let me know not to hurt my daughter.

All dogs will bite when provoked, and yes, there are breeds that are more susceptible to inflicting severe injury or worse.....and yes, there are exceptions to the rule within those breeds. There are also some dogs within those breeds that will attack if you blink at them for no reason.

There are the families who say their pit/chow/etc would never harm a flea, and this may be true, but why risk it around children or other pets. There are numerous stories about those who turned on a whim and had to be put down after a tragic incident.

This has went on for generations, but it seems to be worse than ever now. It is difficult to manage from a law enforcement POV.

I think it should be on a case-by-case. For example, if you come on my property uninvited and one of my dogs takes a bite out of you, your fault. You entered their territory without permission from the owner.
Unless your property is fenced in with a stay out, dogs inside, etc. sign, that's ridiculous. Private property doesn't mean no trespassing. People should expect to be able to approach your door unless warned.

Liable? Absolutely!

My experience. 10 years ago, we were at a small Super Bowl get-together, and the family's inside-pet-dog (mid-size) was there. And apparently the dog had a shot earlier that day. So the kids (7, 11, 11) were upstairs with the dog, when all of the sudden we heard screaming. The dog attacked my 7yo, and my 11yo pulled it off him. With blood gushing out, we rushed him to the ER, where he had 120 stitches, below and above the left eye and at the left hairline. AND then the next morning we had to have him at Duke at 6am for surgery to repair the tear duct which a bite had severed.
On a follow-up visit at Duke a couple weeks later there was a little girl there with the same eye patch as my son, and she had the exact same thing happen to her. We were told it's common, and that dogs naturally go for the eyes when they attack/bite, and that they don't like anyone to get in their face.
They (that family) covered what our insurance did not (about $2K).
As for the dog, they had to quarantine it in their home for 1 week (didn't sound like much, and if it had ever bit again it would have been put-down).

Unless your property is fenced in with a stay out, dogs inside, etc. sign, that's ridiculous. Private property doesn't mean no trespassing. People should expect to be able to approach your door unless warned.

According to Kentucky law, a person commits criminal trespass when they “knowingly enter another person’s land or property without permission.”

It’s a just low level misdemeanor and is often not pursued, but I was always taught growing up to stay off property I wasn’t invited onto. Good rule of thumb. I know I won’t be shot or bitten because I won’t be entering land I wasn’t invited onto.

In my case, I have posted no trespassing signage in the back and front, a posted (and often ignored) no solicitation sign by my doorbell, and a half joking unwelcome mat on the front porch that says “Welcome-ish: Depends on who you are and what you want.” I am pretty sure my messaging is clear.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Dogs should be put down for causing injuries that require serious medical intervention.

Don't understand the appeal of pitbulls either, not only are they ugly, but they kill more people and pets every year than every other dog breed combined.

According to Kentucky law, a person commits criminal trespass when they “knowingly enter another person’s land or property without permission.”
OK, but does that mean any dog that comes up to that person is permitted to bite said person? Or be shot? Not.

We have a 30 pound terrier mix got from the pound. She is very aggressive with other dogs, and doesn't like many people either, definitely do not let strangers or their kids come up to pet her, no telling what she would do. She has nipped a few folks here and there, but with one exception, has never caused any real damage (bit a neighbor's leg which drew blood)

She is almost 12, but still going pretty strong, although has chilled out somewhat. We use dog sitters when we are out of town and they have never reported a problem with her. Still, we have a "Beware of Dog" sign on the back yard gate, and when we have company, we put her outside or in the basement until she calms down and can be around people. For the most part, I tell our friends to just ignore her and she will leave you alone.

She does love our family, and was great around my 2 year old grandson when he visited over Christmas. But we were told long ago by a trainer that these kind of terriers and especially her can never be fully trusted so we are as careful as can be.

You DEFINITELY would not want to enter our house without first letting us do something with the dog, guarantee you she will try to bite.

TBH, was not my idea to get a dog in the first place, and when she passes, I am going to do my best to see that we don't get another, just don't want the hassle and responsibility.

Liable? Absolutely!

My experience. 10 years ago, we were at a small Super Bowl get-together, and the family's inside-pet-dog (mid-size) was there. And apparently the dog had a shot earlier that day. So the kids (7, 11, 11) were upstairs with the dog, when all of the sudden we heard screaming. The dog attacked my 7yo, and my 11yo pulled it off him. With blood gushing out, we rushed him to the ER, where he had 120 stitches, below and above the left eye and at the left hairline. AND then the next morning we had to have him at Duke at 6am for surgery to repair the tear duct which a bite had severed.
On a follow-up visit at Duke a couple weeks later there was a little girl there with the same eye patch as my son, and she had the exact same thing happen to her. We were told it's common, and that dogs naturally go for the eyes when they attack/bite, and that they don't like anyone to get in their face.
They (that family) covered what our insurance did not (about $2K).
As for the dog, they had to quarantine it in their home for 1 week (didn't sound like much, and if it had ever bit again it would have been put-down).
---
In Kentucky the quarantine period (rabies control) is 10 days by the local health department. Beyond rabies control, however, they have no other regulatory/legal authority.

OTOH, I'm sure you could sue. Hell, if recent history is any indication, you can sue or prosecute anybody for anything.

If you want a dog, read this book. I've been around dogs all of my 77 years. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have read several books and trained a few dogs for my personal use. This is the best dog book you will find.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
We're bigtime dog lovers. We lost our boy Sam 3 months ago, and we're still not over it. Sam was very protective of us and the grandkids, but never threatened to bite anyone. That said, yes, owners should absolutely be held responsible if their dog bites someone, unless that someone is breaking in or trying to harm them on OR off their property.

I have 100 lb yellow lab. I'm really shocked at how many people ask if he bites. This is an admittance to complete stupidity. If you ask if a yellow lab bites, you are an idiot. I'm shocked at how stupid people are. Your biggest fear around a yellow lab is to be slammed to the ground and licked to death.

Last edited:
I have 100 lb yellow lab. I'm really shocked at how many people ask if he bites. This is an admittance to complete stupidity. If you ask if a yellow lab bites, you are an idiot.

I'm shocked at how stupid people are. Your biggest fear around a yellow lab is to be slammed to the ground and licked to death.
Add Golden Retrievers to the list of overly friendly dogs. Cue the people with a bad experience.

Current dog looks like an American Dingo. Sweet dog until he sees another dog on a leash then he becomes the Tasmanian Devil from the Looney Tunes cartoons. Uncontrollable. As long as I'm able I'll have a dog as part of my family.

It’s a just low level misdemeanor and is often not pursued, but I was always taught growing up to stay off property I wasn’t invited onto. Good rule of thumb. I know I won’t be shot or bitten because I won’t be entering land I wasn’t invited onto.

In my case, I have posted no trespassing signage in the back and front, a posted (and often ignored) no solicitation sign by my doorbell, and a half joking unwelcome mat on the front porch that says “Welcome-ish: Depends on who you are and what you want.” I am pretty sure my messaging is clear.
Where did the quoted definition come from?

---
In Kentucky the quarantine period (rabies control) is 10 days by the local health department. Beyond rabies control, however, they have no other regulatory/legal authority.

OTOH, I'm sure you could sue. Hell, if recent history is any indication, you can sue or prosecute anybody for anything.
This was in NC.
Wasn’t going to sue, they were sort of friends, their son and our 11yo were friends. But they might have had that concern since my now Ex-wife worked for a legal association for trial lawyers and knew well many of the big lawyers in the state.

I think you should control your animals and should be liable if you do not. However, if someone else is doing something they should not to me or family, all bets are off. I have 4 dogs and walk 2 of them daily. 1 of them that I walk (just around the house now) is 13 1/2 years old and on her last leg. In her youth she was very protective but not aggressive. She would not let people touch her and would verbally let you know if you tried. Never bitten anyone but I believe she would have had they pushed the issue.

When my boys (twins) were younger (around 4) I had a malamute that was protective and bit a boy (11 or 12) who was purposely hitting them with a big stick and cut one of their faces. The dog took over and bit the boy on the arm that had the stick. Once bitten, the boy gave up and ran to his parents. That kid wound up with a few stitches from the bite. The parents chocked it up to their son learning a valuable lesson so...
I have 2 pyrenees. Working with them on just running the fence lines and leave the chickens alone. They have the noise/vibration/shock collars. Property is fenced and a gate to get in, with warnings.

They are gentle playful giants to us that stay outside. If someone crosses that gate that I am unaware of, what happens is on them.

They have never shown aggression. Never had a reason to. Just trying to work with them on what critters to chase and which ones not to. They will definitely get your attention if pull in to the gate.

If you look at the way tons of children act today, I think it's obvious many dog owners shouldn't have larger dogs. I think we have to start charging people when their dogs become a public threat. Some of the dogs may need to be put down but the owner should also be held accountable for their negligence.

If you are a POS owner then don't get a dog that can seriously harm someone. Beagles make good pets and can't seriously hurt anyone.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I couldn't watch that video.

I think it should be on a case-by-case. For example, if you come on my property uninvited and one of my dogs takes a bite out of you, your fault. You entered their territory without permission from the owner. (I have two old cockers and a lazy old beagle, so this is purely hypothetical)

If I let my dogs roam loose around the neighborhood and they bite other people or kill someone else's pet, my fault. I am being negligenct in caring for my pet and endangering the saftey of my neighbors.

I've had to sue a neighbor for vet bills in the past. About 8 years ago we lived in rental house in a rural area with each house about 100 yards apart. Backyard fence was a 4-foot livestock wire fence with the squares that a dog's head could easily fit through.

The neighbors to my left had two pitbull/mastiff mixes that they let roam loose to the point they were pretty much feral. These damn dogs were massive. I'd run them out of my driveway many times. They were afraid of humans but showed signs of extreme aggression if they saw our dogs in our fenced back yard.

One day my beagle was baying his head off and it sounded like he was injured or something. I thankfully happened to be messing around in the back yard when I heard one of my other dogs "scream" and took off running to the fence baseball bat in hand. Those dogs were on the other side of the fence (still on my property) and they'd pulled one of my cockers head through the fence. One of them had him by the ear and the other one was going for his throat. I hopped the fence without hesitation and hit the one that still had my dog's ear in its mouth in its face with the bat (felt good at the time, felt guilty about it later) check website dedicated to Chow Chows. It ran off and my dog pulled his head back through the fence, bleeding heavily. My dog ended up needing 16 stitches in his jaw/throat and it cost me close to $2,000. I filed a police report the next morning with pictures of the injuries, copies of my vet bills, pictures of the attacking dogs on my property and pictures of damage to the fence. Neighbors refused to pay my bills when I politely asked. So, I sued them for vet bills and fence repair. Judge ruled in my favor and ordered them to surrender the dogs to the county or face criminal charges because, unbeknowst to me, this wasn't the first time they'd maimed a neighbor's pet. We never spoke another word to each other and we moved shortly therafter.
Hi,

I was in my back garden with both of my dogs and a delivery man opened my gate and shouted up the garden to me. Before I knew it, one of my dogs (5 year old cockapoo) started barking. The delivery guy had a chance to get out of my garden, but froze. Unfortunately, my dog bit him on the leg. Once he had he backed off and went back up to the top of the garden. I apologised to the man and explained that my dog clearly thought he was an intruder (he's never bitten anyone before, although is a barker if the door goes). He was in a lot of pain and said he was going to sort out his leg.

If he reports him, will I need to have my dog put down? We were both in shock as it happened so fast!.

• Sad
Reactions: J_Dee
Hi,

I was in my back garden with both of my dogs and a delivery man opened my gate and shouted up the garden to me. Before I knew it, one of my dogs (5 year old cockapoo) started barking. The delivery guy had a chance to get out of my garden, but froze. Unfortunately, my dog bit him on the leg. Once he had he backed off and went back up to the top of the garden. I apologised to the man and explained that my dog clearly thought he was an intruder (he's never bitten anyone before, although is a barker if the door goes). He was in a lot of pain and said he was going to sort out his leg.

If he reports him, will I need to have my dog put down? We were both in shock as it happened so fast!.
Private property... for an uninvited visitor... No especially if not a serious medical injury. If your dog ran across the street and did that to a neighbor... Yea.... Bye. But a cockapoo... No way that actually hurt someone right? We are talking about dogs that seriously hurt people or other animals.

I'd let this cat watch as this dog was put down.

We had a man in our parish that was former 75th special forces his wife had passed and lived the rest of his days alone. There was always a problem with stray cats and dogs in the area until they mysteriously became less and less in numbers and the animal complaints went to zero. Years later I found out at his funeral mass that he built a .177 pellet gun with a suppressor and a scope that was fitted for night vision and only a handful of the people knew he was the one eliminating the problem and he was sought out to take care of more than the difficult strays without a word ever being said. One of his beer buddies told me he always shot from the inside of his house thru the big French backdoors and always at night. And the amount of pet owners that let them run around loose never saw theirs again either.
In the end we had animal free neighborhood and people knew not to let their pets outside unless leashed or fenced in. I miss that guy 🍺🇺🇸

I have 2 pyrenees. Working with them on just running the fence lines and leave the chickens alone. They have the noise/vibration/shock collars. Property is fenced and a gate to get in, with warnings.

They are gentle playful giants to us that stay outside. If someone crosses that gate that I am unaware of, what happens is on them.

They have never shown aggression. Never had a reason to. Just trying to work with them on what critters to chase and which ones not to. They will definitely get your attention if pull in to the gate.
3 of the 4 dogs I have are Pyrenees mixes with 1 mentioned above showing to be not aggressive but very protective. She is the one 13 1/2 years old. I have another 1 that is an Anatolian Shepherd/Pyrenees mix (pictured below) who is just a monster (size wise 140 plus pounds) but very gentle and has not shown any aggression except to 1 man 4 houses down. Something about him she does not like. She growled at him when he walked up upon us. All other people in the neighborhood she lets pet her especially children so...I trust dogs feelings when it comes to people.

Resized-20211208-162523.jpg

20211119-123055.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT