ADVERTISEMENT

Penny to Memphis

Fact 1: He's run it for years and Wiseman just joined this summer for a few months.

Fact 2: Penny has been at East for several years and Wiseman only joined this year.

Fact 3: Definitely, but Memphis is the sketchiest town in America.

Fact 4: Memphis hired Penny to recruit, but if he brings Lomax and Boyce and Lawson from East, that's still what they hired him to do. It doesn't have to be Wiseman. You can't make a head coaching hire for a kid who will play 30 games for you.

Exactly. This was about fans and future recruiting that doesn't necessarily have to do with Wiseman.

Tubby was destroying the local relationships. They wanted him gone regardless. Penny is being brought in for several reasons, the fact that the door is open for Wiseman is just another reason, not the reason.

Cal just the other night on his show said that he has the hardest working staff around and was speaking very highly of them, there is no way he replaces anyone on his staff right just going on what he said. So I'm not buying the penny to kentucky story

There will be changes coming to UK's staff I would think. Whats Cal supposed to say about his staff.

If Kentuxky was not reaching out to Penny, Memphis still believed they were in some form.

When things are down ... my posts reflect it...... when things go good.. my posts reflect it yet yahoos on here only want to remember the negative things. Like I'm expected to be sunshine nut humper when we lose or lose good recruits... I didnt get all my likes by only posting negative sheet...

If I'm Penny I bring in an assistant to help with Xs n Os then another recruiter that knows the ends and ours maybe Antiqua fill our ur staff with a defensive guy and look out. Either way will be interesting to watch.

So basically hire assistants to do most of the work for you since you don't know what you are doing. He better hope he gets great assistants. Would you want to get paid assistant pay when you are basically doing a lot of the head coaches responsibilities?

All that is really known that he brings to the table is connections to the AAU circuit. If this backfires they will have no one to blame but themselves. They should have worked out a deal for him to be HCIW and learn as an assistant for a couple of years. It will be funny if the NCAA makes rule changes to recruiting AAU because of all of the cheating and then they get nothing by this hire.

The way I was giddy about Johnson and Herro coming to UK before they announced busts your little agenda bubble there.

Dont hate me because we've been missing out on top 5 players a lot lately.
Oh please you’ve tried to live up to the surely image your avatar projects. Hey whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: Mr_GG
So, there are people on this thread who think that Jeffries committed to Kentucky THIS WEEK without having any clue of all the rumors of Penny to Memphis that have been swirling for weeks.

And now that Penny has been hired they believe Jeffries will change his mind about a decision he described as the happiest moment of his life, and one he's been sure about for months.

And also that Jeffries committed to Kentucky despite the strong mutual desire between he and Wiseman to play together, without checking with close friend Wiseman about what Wiseman is likely to do, and whether that hinged on Penny going to Memphis.

And that Wiseman is so mesmerized by Penny that he'd ignore all the success Cal has had getting guys like him not only into the NBA but MAKING SURE THEY'D SUCCEED RIGHT AWAY. Sure Wiseman could be drafted playing for a beginner coach. But Cal and Kenny Payne have a track record for making sure he will be prepared to succeed.

I know there is no common sense test to post on this board. Maybe there should be.

Apples and oranges (basketball and football) .... reminds of Gerry Faust being hired as HC at Notre Same after being a HC at a high school. That didn't end well.

So, there are people on this thread who think that Jeffries committed to Kentucky THIS WEEK without having any clue of all the rumors of Penny to Memphis that have been swirling for weeks. And now that Penny has been hired they believe Jeffries will change his mind about a decision he described as the happiest moment of his life, and one he's been sure about for months. And that Wiseman is so mesmerized by Penny that he'd ignore all the success Cal has had getting guys like him not only into the NBA but MAKING SURE THEY'D SUCCEED RIGHT AWAY.

Yes, there are plenty of trolls here. But Jeffries and Wiseman will play for UK.

Reactions: JC43
Oh please you’ve tried to live up to the surely image your avatar projects. Hey whatever floats your boat.

My avatar reflects my sense of humor and like for ATHF. and yes.. I do like to post jokes in that fashion but I'm sure you can tell what are joke posts and what are real...

as for positivity... I posted positive during the SEC T ... was a lot of fun... posted positive during our 4 game win streak and against UL .... posted positive for Herro and Johnson.... and I've yet to post about Jefferies... I like him and think he's a solid 2-3 year player that we need on the team

As for the negative posts........... dude its just not my fault that UK has lost 10 games this year... and we lost out on a lot of great players that we all thought we had a great shot at over the summer.... of course the negative posts will out weigh the positive ones when more goes wrong than goes right.

Some here choose to only post positive things........ thats just not me. Im here to talk about the upsides and downsides of UK basketball.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Jefferies knew that Memphis was going to go after Penny and most likely get him and still committed to UK...

Either 1. this is a massive troll job on their part... or 2. The kid really wants to play for Cal and UK and will stick with us.

I happen to think its 2..

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Not much a leap compared to other former nba players who never coached Highschool or AAU (penny coached both by the way not just AAU)

I don't understand this hire. AAU straight to major college program. That's a big leap. I understand the recruiting piece; but just doesn't seem smart.

Not much a leap compared to other former nba players who never coached Highschool or AAU (penny coached both by the way not just AAU)

Not saying Penny won't be a great coach but not many all star types were great coaches, its usually the guys who played that relied in knowing the game combined with programs, assistants, etc.

So, there are people on this thread who think that Jeffries committed to Kentucky THIS WEEK without having any clue of all the rumors of Penny to Memphis that have been swirling for weeks.

And now that Penny has been hired they believe Jeffries will change his mind about a decision he described as the happiest moment of his life, and one he's been sure about for months.

And also that Jeffries committed to Kentucky despite the strong mutual desire between he and Wiseman to play together, without checking with close friend Wiseman about what Wiseman is likely to do, and whether that hinged on Penny going to Memphis.

And that Wiseman is so mesmerized by Penny that he'd ignore all the success Cal has had getting guys like him not only into the NBA but MAKING SURE THEY'D SUCCEED RIGHT AWAY. Sure Wiseman could be drafted playing for a beginner coach. But Cal and Kenny Payne have a track record for making sure he will be prepared to succeed.

I know there is no common sense test to post on this board. Maybe there should be.

Have we ever lost a verbal commitment under Cal? I don't think we have.

Yea...and we all look forward to your posts.

I don't think you have a clue how close Wisemans are to Penny

Preach it, brother-man!

These optimistic fans are so delusional. Penny has been selling Memphis to Wiseman this whole time. He’s been selling the access to the river (the Memphis-based access areas near the Mississippi River are becoming quite a destination for the upper-middle class); Elvis’ house; and the awe-inspiring historical realities of the Sanitation Workers’ Strike of 1968. I heard that Penny brought in Morgan Freeman to speak to Wiseman about the beautiful aspects of being a “Memphis Man” (Morgan was born there) and that he even quoted a line from Shawshank Redemption. It was the scene with the voice over when Andy plays the record on the loud speakers and Morgan compared Wiseman to Andy’s character and said, “It’s time to free Shawshank, young man! It’s time to let this city soar again!”

I know that fans like you have great proximity to the situation, especially with your very specific posts where you give full details about how close Penny and Wiseman are. Nothing vague about your posts at all, unlike so many fans here who wear their blue tinted glasses and blind optimism.

#Morganfreemansealedthedealaweekago

Last edited:
Reality is, despite all the wishful thinking here, that the point of signing Hardaway is exactly to bring on those recruits. It is not good to count on Wiseman or Jeffries as sure outcomes now. All will have to wait and see.

Wonderful point, cool dude!

I’m told that Jeffries never saw the Tubby-firing happening. If he had had perhaps a few hundred more contacts with the Penny/Tubby/Memphis/UK camps than the hundreds he already had, he might have known before it was too late and he committed to Kentucky!

Now that he knows the situation better, a situation we’ve all known was going to happen for months but that the actual recruit didn’t know about, I know Jeffries is no lock to UK anymore.

Great point, cool dude! Great point!

Fact 1. Penny ran Wiseman's AAU team

Fact 2. Penny got a job in highschool in Memphis... Wiseman followed

Fact 3. strings were pulled in Tenn to allow Wiseman to play when he shouldnt have...

Fact 4. Memphis hired Penny for a reason.... it was to land recruits.

Im sorry to burst your bubbles but the odds of us landing wiseman are really low now.

I think you’re right and the UK coaching staff was caught completely off guard with this news.

No way anyone could have seen Tubby getting fired with all the success he’s had at Memphis. I’m just sad that Cal wasted so much of his time on Wiseman, especially when it became clear after the Penny/Morgan Freeman in-home visit with the Wiseman family.

Reminds me of that time Xavier Henry followed Calipari to Kentucky and when Deandre Jordan followed Billy G to Kentucky.

I think you’re right and the UK coaching staff was caught completely off guard with this news.

No way anyone could have seen Tubby getting fired with all the success he’s had at Memphis. I’m just sad that Cal wasted so much of his time on Wiseman, especially when it became clear after the Penny/Morgan Freeman in-home visit with the Wiseman family.

Reminds me of that time Xavier Henry followed Calipari to Kentucky and when Deandre Jordan followed Billy G to Kentucky.

Didnt Cal waste time on Barrett , Reddish, and Zion? Cal doesnt give up often.......

Didnt Cal waste time on Barrett , Reddish, and Zion? Cal doesnt give up often.......

By that logic, Cal should have stopped wasting his time with Knox and Bam since nobody gave UK a shot of landing either of them. Just because a recruit went elsewhere doesn't mean Cal "wasted his time". He was giving UK a chance to land that recruit, which based off Cal's track record, UK pretty much always has a chance.

Not so fast... Wiseman decided to leave Nashville his senior year in high school which resulted in a full on investigation and almost led to him not even playing just so he could play for Penny. Tubby’s firing was definitely not certain, especially with the Memphis front office, and Wiseman will 100% reconsider his options. This isn’t even considering the local talent of other 4 and 5 star recruits that Memphis will get with Hardaway to urge Wiseman to play for the UofM

Calipari needs to adjust his recuriting a tad. If UK cannot get the TOP TOP TOP players like Wiseman, Zion, Barrett, Bagley and then we have the next tier showing up for like 10 games (vanderbilt, Diallo) and using us for the UK effect and bolting before they can contribute, but mutual success story that Calipari has in the past perfected is starting to become a one way street.

Vanderbilt and Diallo going pro is the most laughable thing in the world. Neither will be first rounders. UK cannot recurit kids that will go pro no matter what for none guaranteed money. It just is not healthy for ANY ONE INVOLVED. I am all for player geting paid ultimately, but non guaranteed money is just stupid.
This take is a little simplistic. Diallo has played this year. I don’t believe Vanderbilt has been faking an injury all year.

Very intriguing move by Memphis. If all of this is to get Wiseman, then it is beyond ridiculous. Especially if he does not reclassify. I suspect he will reclassify either way. However, Memphis will need a lot more than Wiseman to be a competitive next year.
This could be a very risky move that pays off, or a complete trainwreck.

So basically hire assistants to do most of the work for you since you don't know what you are doing. He better hope he gets great assistants. Would you want to get paid assistant pay when you are basically doing a lot of the head coaches responsibilities?

All that is really known that he brings to the table is connections to the AAU circuit. If this backfires they will have no one to blame but themselves. They should have worked out a deal for him to be HCIW and learn as an assistant for a couple of years. It will be funny if the NCAA makes rule changes to recruiting AAU because of all of the cheating and then they get nothing by this hire.
Pretty sure that is how it is. Anyway assistants do the Lions share of the work. They will do it because that is how u move up the coaching ranks

Not so fast... Wiseman decided to leave Nashville his senior year in high school which resulted in a full on investigation and almost led to him not even playing just so he could play for Penny. Tubby’s firing was definitely not certain, especially with the Memphis front office, and Wiseman will 100% reconsider his options. This isn’t even considering the local talent of other 4 and 5 star recruits that Memphis will get with Hardaway to urge Wiseman to play for the UofM

Makes sense.

If my parents knew I was worth future millions, they’d probably send me to play for a coach with zero college experience, too, especially if I liked him.

It would be like my parents sending me to go play for my old Sunday School teacher or something. Would be a very cool experience, and we’ve be able to share lots of fun moments over a few double scoops of ice cream down at the old soda parlor where we could discuss girls and movies.

These top kids will be drafted no matter where they go. Potentially falling 4 or 5 draft spots isn’t worth much these days, just a few million and millions more in future marketing. Plus the whole notion of actual player development is vastly overrated when compared with real meaningful midnight conversations about life with someone you really like hanging out with.

Glad we have you aboard to offer this perspective, with all of your inside knowledge and all.

I was surprised by those choices, especially when one considers how Coach K had zero experience coaching guys like LeBron, Durant, and others.

How K was able to sell elite high school wings on coming to Duke is beyond me, particularly when one considers that K only coached Hill, Deng, Maggette, Parker, Winslow, and Tatum at the small forward position. Plus, Duke is only a top 30 academic institution with only a few guys like Reggie Love tied to the highest political machines in the nation.

Can you imagine if K had coached those dream teams and added all of the aforementioned stuff to the Team USA connection? Wow.

Memphis is a lot like Duke when it comes to that whole package, except that Penny actually has a real history of coaching elite talent.

That last point kind of puts Memphis at an advantage over Duke in the comparison, which makes me nervous about landing Wiseman.

I was surprised by those choices, especially when one considers how Coach K had zero experience coaching guys like LeBron, Durant, and others.

How K was able to sell elite high school wings on coming to Duke is beyond me, particularly when one considers that K only coached Hill, Deng, Maggette, Parker, Winslow, and Tatum at the small forward position. Plus, Duke is only a top 30 academic institution with only a few guys like Reggie Love tied to the highest political machines in the nation.

Can you imagine if K had coached those dream teams and added all of the aforementioned stuff to the Team USA connection? Wow.

Memphis is a lot like Duke when it comes to that whole package, except that Penny actually has a real history of coaching elite talent.

That last point kind of puts Memphis at an advantage over Duke in the comparison, which makes me nervous about landing Wiseman.

If you are so sure Cal will land Wiseman... then you willing to bet $ on it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT