ADVERTISEMENT

Penny: No better OAD coaches than me and Mike Miller

Ill be sick if he gets wiseman. Memphis even with a stud class will struggle like Shaka to make the dance. Cal can’t let this guy win the battle. Penny is garbage, entitled hired on name alone. Penny was a great player but great players rarely make good coaches.

Seriously. He’s lost his mind if he thinks coaching D1 basketball is gonna be a breeze, and that he should announce his success in advance.
His hire reminds me of Notre Dame hiring Gerry Faust, who didn't have one second of college coaching experience.

Ill be sick if he gets wiseman. Memphis even with a stud class will struggle like Shaka to make the dance. Cal can’t let this guy win the battle. Penny is garbage, entitled hired on name alone. Penny was a great player but great players rarely make good coaches.

If he does pick Memphis, it will continue the recent trend of UK locks going elsewhere, and us getting guys we aren't supposed to get. Almost makes you question if there are really any insiders at all.

So is the new trend going to be for schools to hire coaches of highly ranked players, then discard them after the player has been gone for 2-3 years? I can live with that. Let them keep watering down their talent pool while going deeper in debt.

And no home and home with Memphis please. Memphis is the IU fan base, weaponized. Besides, they'll prefer to play Duke, right? Duke is the bestest at OAD's. I been tol' so by ESP, and N..

Yea it’s definitely a shot directly at cal, so Memphis fans will be hype. But Penny, you’ve never coached a one and done sooooo

What do you expect him to say?
"If you think you might be a OAD, you shouldn't come play for me since I have no college coaching experience."

At least that would be honest. How many good athletes have become good coaches?

If I was Cal and the staff I would rake Penny over the coals for a ludicrous statement like this. The man is coming from coaching AAU and Highschool and has never coached a true OAD type talent yet. What a moronic statement.

Actions speak louder than words ! We will see how well he does with his 1st year at Memphis.

If I was Cal and the staff I would rake Penny over the coals for a ludicrous statement like this. The man is coming from coaching AAU and Highschool and has never coached a true OAD type talent yet. What a moronic statement.
Wiseman isn't OAD type talent?

Actually, now that I think about it, he may be right.

There's no one better to coach OAD players than Penny because he typically bails for the next gig soon after. He was a middle school coach while some of these guys were in high school. Put your lottery ticket in his hands just because he was good in the 90s.

That is, if Chris Mullin doesn't offer you first.
Penny Hardaway is the most overrated basketball player of all time. The Spike Lee Lil' Penny stuff blew him up, but his numbers were good, never great.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
hey. let's play a game called "make a wild claim with no evidence". Penny started us off, now I will go....

"There is no one better to run a fortune 500 company than I".

That was fun.

cal-what.gif

Reactions: CatfanMike47
3 years ago Coach K had 5 National titles, along with Olympic Gold medals and was coaching at a top tier blue blood (as much as i hate to say those words)
Not really comparable at all. 3 years ago Penny was coaching 11 year olds, while K was regarded as perhaps the best college coach of all time?
true, but if 3 years ago coach K had said no one was better to coach OADs than him, people would be lining up to tee off on him here. I still believe that Calipari is the best, clearly Zion, Reddish and Barrett did not.

Let's put Memphis in their place as a program:

1. It was rumored Cal and UK were interested in hiring Penny as an AC

2. They go into full panic mode about PR and hire the guy as their HC

3. He hires Mike Miller who sponsored another Memphis area AAU team and all of the sudden CBB is to swoon.

4. They are now set to take over CBB and recruiting according to everyone.

5. All of their commitments are typical Memphis class recruits.

6. Wiseman is a lock to go there because of the connection--which really started last Summer, he's not from Memphis, he didn't play all year last year for Penny on EYBL and was typical ringer Penny benefited from getting via Nike and out of fear of Wiseman leaving Nike for Adidas circuit.

7. Penny is now acting like the Lane Kiffin of CBB--talking up how easy things are and how great he and Mike Miller will be despite having done nothing at the college level as coaches.

8. Media who hate on Calipari and want to see him lose Wiseman to Memphis go insane over these comments and ignore that former great players who are now HC like Danny Manning, Chris Mullin, and Patrick Ewing haven't had immediate success on the recruiting trail and latter 2 are superior to Penny and Miller in any aspect you want to evaluate--players or coaches to this point.

9. Calipari did more for Memphis basketball then Hardaway did as a player. Cal wasn't there long but they were an elite program and showed well in March. He viewed it as a stepping stone job. Penny thinks he's going to turn Memphis into something special and brings in his kid, Alex Lomax, and some other good, but nothing special recruits? He's talking a lot and first lesson in recruiting is to stay quiet and let things happen behind the scenes.

Friend told me that there were a ton of coaches who stated that Penny better win with all the garbage he's spewing about their programs to kids. Recruiting isn't for the meek and Cal's been around a few times. Just a matter of whether Wiseman decides to put his faith in a man/program that has produced not just #1 picks but his favorite player/idol in Anthony Davis or go with the unproven guy who he won a state title with last year and hasn't done anything to support/disclaim his boasts.

Lot of hate here. I can understand your frustration if you lose a player to another school. Memphis needed a coach to revitalize the basketball program....it was near death. Penny has already done that in just a month.

Next basketball season is already better than it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT