ADVERTISEMENT

Penny: No better OAD coaches than me and Mike Miller

Actually, now that I think about it, he may be right.

There's no one better to coach OAD players than Penny because he typically bails for the next gig soon after. He was a middle school coach while some of these guys were in high school. Put your lottery ticket in his hands just because he was good in the 90s.

That is, if Chris Mullin doesn't offer you first.

I don't blame the dude. He's doing exactly what he should do. He needs recruits. He's speaking directly to them. Now let's see if he can convert the cockiness into top-level 5-start talent. I think he will. At least to begin with.

Reactions: Elijah55
What do you expect him to say?
"If you think you might be a OAD, you shouldn't come play for me since I have no college coaching experience."

Reactions: Mossip
I anticipate someone's village getting burned down soon.

I also predict series with Memphis in the works.

The best at coaching O&D’s... yet hasn’t coached a one and done ? Unless middle school kids count?

It’s grest to have confidence but Penny and Memphis fans in general need to remember they have proven NOTHING yet. Absolutely nothing.

UM fans and even Penny himself is acting like he’s Lebron or KD lol...

Slow the roll kid

I had posted in the Wiseman thread that this has been his mojo.
Penny has good relationships and connections. But he has to overcome some significant resume shortcomings. So, he is falling back on his nba experience (and that of Miller) to make a case that he is as capable — if not more — as anyone in moving kids to the league.
It is a battle that’s been brought to him on the trail, and he has been super aggressive - maybe absurdly so, in this tweet - in counter acting.
His confidence has resonated with some players, including wiseman.

Well... I wouldn’t have expected him to say he couldn’t coach one and dones. To say that none are better is kind of hilarious though.

Reactions: 59coop
Even if that were true, Penny, that advantage is only lasting you about one more year or so. Because the one and done rule is soon going away.

And then what are you gonna do?

Even if that were true, Penny, that advantage is only lasting you about one more year or so. Because the one and done rule is soon going away.

And then what are you gonna do?

Not to mention he's about two years from having none of the "I coached you" influence either. If he isn't successful with elite talent in a hurry, he's not going to get any more of it.

Penny's just doing what he has to do. He and Mike Miller could very well do a great job. Thing is, until you actually do it, it's all talk. Think the ability is there to be a strong coaching staff and program but like any profession, you have to prove it first. Timing for them is perfect considering the top prospect in class is a guy he built a relationship with, but again this isn't like Wiseman grew up in Memphis his entire life and played AAU for him. Wiseman played less then a full EYBL season and then played at Memphis East. His sister will be a SR at Memphis this year, so that angle is being overplayed as well.

To this point, the level of recruit Memphis is bringing in is exactly what you expect from Memphis. That won't make a dent nationally. Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin did far more in their NBA careers then Penny and recruiting hasn't been easy for them. The hype machine is insane right now for them, but no fault of them--they are doing their jobs.

Reactions: Jazzycat
I'm not sure that tweet wasn't from Little Penny.:D

That message is directed toward Wiseman and any other kids he is familiar with through his former coaching gigs. He is in a battle for his top recruit with the master of the OAD, so he has to use his NBA experience as a counter to Cal.

It will be interesting to see if he can convince the parents and players he is ready for this.

I haven't read it but I'm sure its taken out of context, I mean it has to be right? No one could be that arrogant before they have even coached a college game yet.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Ive never coached a college game in my life but the best at coaching one and dones?!?!?!

Do middle Schools practice OAD? “This 6th grader is so awesome he’s declared for high school”[roll]

Wall, Cousins, AD, KAT, Booker, Randal, Monk, fox and others say hi!!

I’m talking about those who truly had a real chance of being one and done.

How far is he willing to go to bring in “the best of the best”? Will he push as far as abiding by the rules? He doesn’t have a lot to lose like someone established like Cal does. If things don’t work out for Penny he can always go back to coaching aau or high school, where as Cal is at the mountain top and it’s a long fall from there.

Penny was definitely very good in the nba , but again... Penny himself along with Memphis fans, Memphis media etc are all acting like he was some hall of fame player.

Had he not had the shoes and that stupid little Penny commercials, he wouldn’t be nearly as “known” as he is now.

Being legitimately honest, before all the Penny to Memphis drama started I couldn’t tell you the last time I thought of him.

You think all these random 15-17 year olds are as familiar with Penny as he thinks they are?

Penny won't be at Memphis in 3 years... either due to violations or because he's basically Josh Pastner 2.0

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Penny was definitely very good in the nba , but again... Penny himself along with Memphis fans, Memphis media etc are all acting like he was some hall of fame player.

Had he not had the shoes and that stupid little Penny commercials, he wouldn’t be nearly as “known” as he is now.

Being legitimately honest, before all the Penny to Memphis drama started I couldn’t tell you the last time I thought of him.

You think all these random 15-17 year olds are as familiar with Penny as he thinks they are?
I wish Penny was a Hall of Famer I have his rookie card as does 3 to 4 million other people which apparently makes it worth about $0.02

Penny knows this isn't true, and the players know this isn't true. He's selling confidence/cockiness. 17 and 18 year old kids like that from a coach/mentor.

I expect he would keep his big mouth shut until he has done something! Why open yourself up for criticism especially from his own fans., Yeah that could come back and bite him in the ass!
This. I hope he understands that everything he now says will be brought back up at every turn, good or bad.
Dude has no college head coaching experience and no experience with coaching a group of talented college freshmen. He'll learn, but sadly it could be at the expense of a kids NBA career.

Reactions: kat57
I liked Lil Penny tbh
Penny is going to get some top recruits because he played in the NBA and is a known name
The novelty and perception will be strong factors

Remains to be seen if he can coach them

Reactions: awf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT