ADVERTISEMENT

Partial solution to the current era: limit transfers

Imafan4evr_

Junior
Jul 31, 2004
It’s crazy that we can refresh a Twitter feed every few minutes and see a new high-level transfer in the portal. Not just guys worried about getting more time like years past, but major contributors on great teams. This is a totally unsustainable model in its current form.

My proposed (and possibly poor) solution:

Allow for one-time immediate eligibility transfers. You want more money, PT, just move for the sake of moving? That’s cool once. You want to do it twice? You sit a year like the ‘old’ days.

Exceptions to the above given for certain circumstances, like a coach leaving, extenuating family situation, etc. In those cases, immediate eligibility remains, even if the player has already transferred once before.

This gives guys the freedom to chase the almighty dollar once and move again on a case-by-case basis. I see guys entering the portal that have hopped schools every year of their eligibility and while I understand free markets and such, it just doesn’t seem like a suitable model for the sport long-term.

Way off base with any / all of the above?

I believe a court ruling made it so that you can’t make them sit a year. I don’t see any ruling that would stop the NCAA from saying you get one transfer and after that you are just ineligible to play if you transfer a second time.

But they can’t make them sit. That’s done.

Reactions: johngault66
I believe a court ruling made it so that you can’t make them sit a year. I don’t see any ruling that would stop the NCAA from saying you get one transfer and after that you are just ineligible to play if you transfer a second time.

But they can’t make them sit. That’s done.
Mid season transfers (with immediate play) is just around the corner.

The NILs will have to be more like 2 year employee contracts to stop this.

Reactions: ukwazoo
What legal reason would you have for limiting transfers? Are you limited on changing jobs? Is a student limited from transferring to other schools?

Reactions: Bluegrassking
At some point, if we consider every technicality and legality, then we should probably quit with the “student athlete” moniker and move toward a contract employee model in which they’re given one year contracts vs four year scholarships. At current rate, that’s where this form of college athletics is heading. It shouldn’t be amateur sports at that point, it’s professional-lite.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
What legal reason would you have for limiting transfers? Are you limited on changing jobs? Is a student limited from transferring to other schools?
Do you have the right to play basketball?

I don’t disagree with your logic, but let me ask you this. Why can’t someone play in the NBA and return to college and play basketball? It’s not functionally different than what you are arguing. The only reason players can’t do that is because the NCAA says they aren’t eligible. So, same thing. After you play for two schools you lose future eligibility if you transfer again.

Why not pay players for 6 months October to April. No going to bogus classes just have University sponsored teams which buy fresh faces every year. Budget 20-25 million a year for players that represent the schools. No control whatsoever by the NCAA.

Yes, contracts are the only way to fix it. Lock someone in for 2-3 years and have some stability. Of course, they can get out of the contract if they choose to go pro.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT