ADVERTISEMENT

Our WRs are extremely overrated

PensacolaBlue

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 26, 2022
Maybe they get better but Brown and Key have not improved from last year. We have other areas of the team that suck as well, like the OL, but our receivers were supposed to be some of the best we’ve ever had. Glad to see out RBs and TEs playing well to compensate tonight.

Last edited:
Some are questioning whether they are being taught correct technique. They do not run crisp , effective patterns and they have no idea how to get open against tight man to man coverage. Wandale and Robinson already had it when they got here . Who else has been developed?
Yep. At this level, you get open with crisp route running and changing pace to set up DBs in the route. BB and Key are still running rounded off sloppy routes that worked in HS bc they were far superior athletes. Not a lot of dudes can just our athlete the best athletes in the world. Not many Randy Moss types out there

Some are questioning whether they are being taught correct technique. They do not run crisp , effective patterns and they have no idea how to get open against tight man to man coverage. Wandale and Robinson already had it when they got here . Who else has been developed?
Our O development as a whole has been pretty iffy forever now. I'm not a super big fan of woody, he's too buddy buddy when he has a few in his room that give half hearted effort, can't run routes worth a crap and some more issues. Woody either isn't teaching them how to be a effective WR or he's too big of a buddy and he doesn't get the best out of his guys either one isn't good for the future. We need guys like BB and Dane to go silly this years so we can use them as examples to recruit their replacements.

Even then, Dane is dropping wide open passes, on brown we should get him the ball in space more

Our recievers are a huge improvement athletically of any we have had in a while. Unfortunately their technique is terrible.Poor route running, poor footwork, and the mechanics of catching ball are also poor. These kids better stop spending time worring about how they will spend NFL money, and learning their craft. Coaching must be questioned here. Who is tecievers coach

BB is the deep threat, and a burner. The thing you have to remember about those types is you’ll often find them doubled on a streak. That means your QB has to be able to drop a dot on them, or at least out the ball in space where only their WR can make a play on it. We’ve got both the QB and WR to do just that. It will happen.

Reactions: catben
Tayvion isn't overrated....he's killing it so far.
Brown/Key have not impressed thus far yet.
Route Running is so important in the aspect of being a good receiver. Tayvion is a 5th year Senior and I think that is helping him. I like the QB, but not sold on him yet as well. Brown and Key might need to get someone to tell them that WR isn't just about speed but it is about precise routes and getting open with your footwork, etc.

Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost

Key definitely does, just not consistently. Key is definitely having a disappointing year so far. Several drops and loses attention to detail on routes. Both of which were his forte.

Brown is really good but needs to stop swinging for the fences every time. Nothing wrong with taking a single or double and lining up again. Plus teams are really focusing brown to take him away which is why we see them use him in reverse, etc to get touches.

Iirc wandale was ok when he got here but took several steps up after getting on campus. He still spent time at RB at Nebraska. UK made him a pro.

Both have been pampered and put on a pestle to the point they don't put in the effort to do the little things it takes to be good.

Purely jmo but I think coen coddles players a bit whereas scang held them to much higher standards (pro standards almost). I think that was a big source of the problem when scang followed such a laid back approach, causing a clash.

Seems to me both would benefit from moving towards the middle a bit. Key's lack of focus just isn't acceptable, yet it continues.

Pestle:
  1. a heavy tool with a rounded end, used for crushing and grinding substances such as spices or drugs, typically in a mortar.
"It used to be we thought that people who went around correcting other people’s grammar were just plain annoying. Now there’s evidence they are actually ill, suffering from a type of obsessive-compulsive disorder/oppositional defiant disorder (OCD/ODD). Researchers are calling it Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome, or GPS."

I’d like to see Brown line up in the backfield or even in the Wildcat. His main problem seems to be catching the ball. Once he has it, he can do some special things ala Bowden.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
"It used to be we thought that people who went around correcting other people’s grammar were just plain annoying. Now there’s evidence they are actually ill, suffering from a type of obsessive-compulsive disorder/oppositional defiant disorder (OCD/ODD). Researchers are calling it Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome, or GPS."

Stop saying grammar doesn’t matter.​

(And quit making excuses for your lazy writing.)​

Key definitely does, just not consistently. Key is definitely having a disappointing year so far. Several drops and loses attention to detail on routes. Both of which were his forte.

Brown is really good but needs to stop swinging for the fences every time. Nothing wrong with taking a single or double and lining up again. Plus teams are really focusing brown to take him away which is why we see them use him in reverse, etc to get touches.

Iirc wandale was ok when he got here but took several steps up after getting on campus. He still spent time at RB at Nebraska. UK made him a pro.
Keep in mind , I was repeating what Van Hiles has been saying lately. There is so much happening during the game that I can’t really tell . But Van analyzes that stuff . He is also not a critic or a homer . Just a straight shooter .

Oh God! Is there a cure for that?

Maybe they get better but Brown and Key have not improved from last year. We have other areas of the team that suck as well, like the OL, but our receivers were supposed to be some of the best we’ve ever had. Glad to see out RBs and TEs playing well to compensate tonight.

On the incompletion over the middle to Key, he gave up on the route in anticipation of getting hit...quite the opposite from say a Dicky Lyons...just sayin'

And here before the season I heard talk that this group might be our best ever WRs.

On the incompletion over the middle to Key, he gave up on the route in anticipation of getting hit...quite the opposite from say a Dicky Lyons...just sayin'
My biggest issue so far is Dane and to a lesser extent Brown giving up on plays. If you give up, and the pass gets picked, you need to be there to make the tackle. You can’t quit as soon as you see the ball isn’t catchable. You also can’t sulk and not commit fully to your blocking. See Tevions block that sprung Davis for a long TD even though he was on the complete other side of the field as an example of why continuing to play matters.

Keep in mind , I was repeating what Van Hiles has been saying lately. There is so much happening during the game that I can’t really tell . But Van analyzes that stuff . He is also not a critic or a homer . Just a straight shooter .
Where is he active nowadays? Couldn't find recent updates on Youtube or Twitter so figured I was looking in the wrong places.

Thank you.

Reactions: yoshukai
Heck I think the Akron game, game plan was to get the TE involved more. If you watch some of the routes the WR were running they sort of ran a route but cut them off a bunch (like the INT). We got the ball to Davis and to Robinson along with the TE position. I think we will actually see more of what our offense will look like this Saturday (but not everything). Then the UF game will know for sure if we have major line problems or not. We played many guys against Akron on both sides of the ball. It was a game were we covered, did not give up a TD, made mistakes still but showed some signs of improved play in spots. Lets hope we show more life this week. We owe Vandy for last year. Lets see if this team can go take the Nashville kids lunch money or not.

We had 2 major holes in our OLINE, Center and Right Tackle when Ford was playing. Not Fords talent issue but trying to move from Left Tackle to Right Tackle is not as easy as it sounds. Ford on pass plays still goes to the left first step (like a left tackle). That is huge problems. Lost a step against the wrong guy and it is too late. Burton (maybe not ready for the C position). Not sure if Bowles could do any better. Cox surely did not play the position well last year. If we can get horsey back we might be able to hid the issues a bit and give Burton time to grow into the position.

Talking heads mentioned Sat that Leary and T. Robinson watch a lot of film together. It shows. But no question that if the offense is going to be what we all want Key and B. Brown are going to have to step up their game.

Reactions: entropy13
Very disappointed in BB (aside from ST) and Key . Many passes have went right through the hands of Dane. BB has dropped his fair share too. I think they got the big head and are getting a little dose of humble pie.
That could be the case. They may have been reading their own headlines. Both are good football players, but they have not been playing like it. I look for improvement, but I think this is a test for Woody. If Woody is a legitimate SEC coach, he will light them up and get their attention with a plan for better production.

They are able to get some separation, but can't catch the pigskin. I mean, if it hits u in the hands, u got to catch that.

Reactions: EliteBlue
They are able to get some separation, but can't catch the pigskin. I mean, if it hits u in the hands, u got to catch that.
Yep. Back to back drops that would have kept the drive alive. Directly contributing to this sloppy second half start

Reactions: howercat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT