ADVERTISEMENT

Our Offense Tonight

Kentucky won 35-3

Tennessee lost 16-29

Mind boggling bitching after a win like this
In fairness, the lack of plays is concerning. Maybe Coen needs to simplify the playbook or maybe the defense just needs to get the heck off the field. Or both. Defense allowing these 7-10 minute drives is harming our offense just as much as the lack of consistency from the offense.

We play a style that will hold most teams under 20. If we can get to 20 we should win most games. Hopefully save the opening up for games we need 27-30.

I’m also still concerned that we don’t seem to be able to get a defensive play call in quickly. Will burn us at an in opportune time most likely.

We play a style that will hold most teams under 20. If we can get to 20 we should win most games. Hopefully save the opening up for games we need 27-30.

I’m also still concerned that we don’t seem to be able to get a defensive play call in quickly. Will burn us at an in opportune time most likely.

20 isn't beating msu, tn, sc, Alabama or UGA IMO. We shall see.

I yelled at the screen a few times tonight telling our defense to get lined up. Absolutely will get us burned.

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
Ran 49 total plays if the stat sheet is right.

TN ran 29 plays.............in the 3rd quarter!!!!!

Simply inexcusable the pace of our offense under CMS.

And no way to win many (if any) SEC games at this pace.
You think having quite a few long plays kinda messed with how many plays we ran? Kinda cuts down on plays when you hit a lot of long ones.

Scored 35. Lost one TD to penalty. Lost a fumble in the end zone. Easily could have put up 45-49.

Line play needs to improve. Other than that, it was probably a little too easy tonight. We didn’t run many plays because we made a lot of big plays.

I mean, the point still stands that a ton of offensive snaps ≠ a victory. Would be happy with fewer plays as long as we're efficient and scoring. Feel like we did that better tonight, but yeah, we need to run more plays some way some how.
That was the point of my post.

We have got to find a way to run more plays on offense.

We are stuck in the mud for some reason.
The only difference is Stoops best is 9 and 3 and getting to 10 wins after a bowl.

We aren't ever winning the sec regardless of coach.
And that makes me really sad......

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Not bitching.

Stating facts. Sometimes the truth is hard to handle.

How’d we do before Stoops took over at UK
About like we are now. Middle of the pack in our good years.

Struggle to beat Vandy in our bad years.

No SEC East banners. No SEC championship games.

Same, same.
lmao. Yeah UK can fire Stoops, snap its fingers and go to SEC championship games with a new coach. And you are flat lying through your teeth saying we are the same. Get back to me with the bowl rundown before Stoops. Some UK fans acting like we should be winning championships or bust are clowns. Complete clowns.

I mean, the point still stands that a ton of offensive snaps ≠ a victory. Would be happy with fewer plays as long as we're efficient and scoring. Feel like we did that better tonight, but yeah, we need to run more plays some way some how.
That was the point of my post.

We have got to find a way to run more plays on offense.

We are stuck in the mud for some reason.

About like we are now. Middle of the pack in our good years.

Struggle to beat Vandy in our bad years.

No SEC East banners. No SEC championship games.

Same, same.
Yeah, no. You have some takes I can agree with, some I won't argue, and some I just can't help but shake my head at.

Stoops, Brooks, and Mumme inherited 2, 1, and 4 win teams, respectively. The best year of UK football in my life prior to 2007 was the 1998 season (one could argue the 2002 season). The best we got in those three seasons was eight wins. Eight. Once.

Couch's dream team in 98, the year that so many Cat fans remember fondly for having the air raid, won seven games. Lorenzen's best year – seven games. Woodson's best year – eight games.

Stoops has won seven or more games every year from 2016 onward (sans the weird COVID year). That means a BAD year for Stoops is equal to what a lot of fans consider the halcyon days of UK football. I firmly believe UK has yet to reach its peak under Stoops, which is great considering what UK football has been.

Just because we play sloppy and sometimes boring ball doesn't mean we aren't leaps and bounds better than our past and certainly doesn't mean we've hit our ceiling with this staff.

I've never seen such hand wringing over snaps per game statistic. Are we scoring points is all that matters...and Ball St and Akron games....we scored fine (even with defensive/special team TDs). EKU was a poor showing.

Another thing that hurts is the D. AKRON got the ball to start the 2nd and held it until like 4-5 min left. So atleast a 10 min drive in which they were pulling a UK and taking every single second off the clock ..
So we had both teams trying their best to run the clock out no wonder possessions were at a premium it was a snails pace. Can't tell me big time kids want to play in that. We can be pro style, and not take every single second every time. The 2 aren't exclusive to each other.

Yeah, no. You have some takes I can agree with, some I won't argue, and some I just can't help but shake my head at.

Stoops, Brooks, and Mumme inherited 2, 1, and 4 win teams, respectively. The best year of UK football in my life prior to 2007 was the 1998 season (one could argue the 2002 season). The best we got in those three seasons was eight wins. Eight. Once.

Couch's dream team in 98, the year that so many Cat fans remember fondly for having the air raid, won seven games. Lorenzen's best year – seven games. Woodson's best year – eight games.

Stoops has won seven or more games every year from 2016 onward (sans the weird COVID year). That means a BAD year for Stoops is equal to what a lot of fans consider the halcyon days of UK football. I firmly believe UK has yet to reach its peak under Stoops, which is great considering what UK football has been.

Just because we play sloppy and sometimes boring ball doesn't mean we aren't leaps and bounds better than our past and certainly doesn't mean we've hit our ceiling with this staff.
Agree with everything but also want to give a shout out to the 2006 team that also got 8 wins. Beating Georgia and tearing down the goalposts for the final time really got momentum going for the Brooks era.

To further the point, prior to Stoops we finished .500 in conference three times since the SEC expanded to divisions (93, 98, 06). We never finished better than tied for third in the East and never had a winning conference record. Stoops has finished .500 or better four times, including two winning conference records and second place finishes in the East

Last edited:
Reactions: JPFisher

That turns should be blowouts into nailbiters. It’s another thing to play a style that deliberately keeps other teams in contention throughout all 4 quarters, especially when your teams are wildly undisciplined and often seem unprepared.

Ran 49 total plays if the stat sheet is right.

TN ran 29 plays.............in the 3rd quarter!!!!!

Simply inexcusable the pace of our offense under CMS.

And no way to win many (if any) SEC games at this pace.
We also scored fast with only 25 minutes of possession. I agree our pace should be better but when you score 5TD’s quickly you won’t run much. Tennessee also only scored what like 14 points?

Last edited:
Reactions: cathouse
Glad we won but would still like to see what Leary can do with a little more tempo. The first drive was scripted, took us four minutes to drive 75 yds and score. CMS has his style and isn’t going to change and that’s okay as long as we’re wining games, biggest concern to me is how we handle the clock at the end of the half or game. Just win, I’d take a 3-0 Claiborne special to beat everyone left on our schedule.

Reactions: cathouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT