ADVERTISEMENT

Our Current Bowl Projection?

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
I was looking at the SEC bowl tie-ins and I think we have a good chance at the Outback or TaxSlayer Bowl.

The SEC gets a team in the Sugar Bowl. It’s the SEC champion if it’s not in the College Football Playoff. Alabama

1. Allstate Sugar Bowl vs. Big 12 Florida
2. Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl vs. Big Ten or ACC Auburn

The SEC will assign teams to the respective bowls in this pool.

– AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl vs. Big 12 Texas A&M
– AutoZone Liberty Bowl vs. Big 12 Tennessee
– Belk Bowl vs. ACC LSU
– Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. ACC or Big Ten Georgia
– Outback Bowl vs. Big Ten Kentucky
– TaxSlayer Bowl vs. ACC or Big Ten USC

Second Tier

– Birmingham Bowl vs. American Athletic Arkansas
– Camping World Independence Bowl vs. ACC Ole Miss ?

These are just guesses with games still to be played and I believe we currently are about 8th or 9th in the order of the tie-ins. It can go up or down a spot or two if they still have the rule that the bowls can take a team within 1 win of each other. So what do you all think of the order and do you all think a win or loss against UL will change it much if at all? If we were to drop down to the Birmingham Bowl I don't think we will sell a ton of tickets with this team, but I think one of the Florida bowls might still draw a bunch of fans just because of location.

CBS has us in Shreveport playing the Independence

I don't anticipate a favorable pick. We will be in Shreveport or Birmingham, but hey, it's a bowl

Saw Arkansas in Liberty, LSU in the MSB. Georgia in Charlotte

We aren't getting picked over them the way we finished

LSU plays Texas am next week. Lose that, they're 6-5 with a lame duck coach that's way below expectations and lost 3 of the past 4. And they worked against the SEC in rescheduling that Florida game. I think SEC gladly teaches the tigers a lesson and makes them go to Shreveport.

And we'll get picked ahead of ole miss and South Carolina.

Reactions: Catfanlou
I was looking at the SEC bowl tie-ins and I think we have a good chance at the Outback or TaxSlayer Bowl.

The SEC gets a team in the Sugar Bowl. It’s the SEC champion if it’s not in the College Football Playoff. Alabama

1. Allstate Sugar Bowl vs. Big 12 Florida
2. Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl vs. Big Ten or ACC Auburn

The SEC will assign teams to the respective bowls in this pool.

– AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl vs. Big 12 Texas A&M
– AutoZone Liberty Bowl vs. Big 12 Tennessee
– Belk Bowl vs. ACC LSU
– Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl vs. ACC or Big Ten Georgia
– Outback Bowl vs. Big Ten Kentucky
– TaxSlayer Bowl vs. ACC or Big Ten USC

Second Tier

– Birmingham Bowl vs. American Athletic Arkansas
– Camping World Independence Bowl vs. ACC Ole Miss ?

These are just guesses with games still to be played and I believe we currently are about 8th or 9th in the order of the tie-ins. It can go up or down a spot or two if they still have the rule that the bowls can take a team within 1 win of each other. So what do you all think of the order and do you all think a win or loss against UL will change it much if at all? If we were to drop down to the Birmingham Bowl I don't think we will sell a ton of tickets with this team, but I think one of the Florida bowls might still draw a bunch of fans just because of location.
tenn to Liberty and KY to Outback?!?! I don't think that's possible.

Reactions: OllieVee
Tennessee wins out and FL loses to FSU and Bama there is no damn way they go to the Sugar over a 9-3 and possible 14th ranked Tennessee. A 6-6 Kentucky in the Outback...how much bourbon has OP been drinking?

Reactions: YourPublicEnemy
Depending on the outcome of tonights' games and next week, UK could be anywhere from Shreveport to Charlotte. Regardless, it is a Bowl game !

We ain't beating UofL they will score on every possession. We will be in Birmingham or Shreveport and be glad to be there

I'm guessing Memphis. Liberty bowl wants us, the basketball team plays at ole miss the day before and a reasonable drive for a lot of fabs

We ain't beating UofL they will score on every possession. We will be in Birmingham or Shreveport and be glad to be there
Only way we could be UL is in a shootout where we would have to score about 50 points.

Reactions: JMGCATS
Sorry was looking at this as the order the bowls are selected and it is why I put the teams where I did. I know they have been moving some bowls around lately and some are better than they used to be. Sorry for the confusion. I am far from an overly positive poster and just screwed up.

Playoff
Sugar
Citrus
Outback
TaxSlayer
Music City
Liberty
Belk
Texas
Birmingham
Independence

This is potentially the right order but it does say everything from the Outback through the Texas Bowl is 2-7 teams in the SEC. So it sounds like those can go in any order so who knows what will happen and what I posted might be possible. I found this from an article about those bowls.

Six other SEC bowls, instead of being ranked in a selection hierarchy, are put into a pool where every bowl has equal selection status. The bowls in this pool—the Outback Bowl, TaxSlayer Bowl, Music City Bowl, Texas Bowl, Belk Bowl and Liberty—are filled by the SEC in conjuncture with the individual bowls and schools.

So maybe I was right after all. Sounds like they draw a bowl out and they pick who they want among the eligible schools.

Let me add to that previous post. There should be 2 teams lower than us on the bowl totem pole and that should eliminate the Birmingham and Independence. Once Alabama is selected to the playoffs, the 2nd best team will go to the Sugar and then the 3rd team to the Citrus. That means the next 6 go in the group I previously mentioned. We should be in that group and means we could get a better bowl location than previously would have happened in past years. So some of you might owe me an apology. :p

Bama, Florida, A&M, UT, LSU, Georgia, Auburn and Arkansas all get picked before UK. No way we are above any of them unless we beat UL. The absolute best we do is the Liberty Bowl if we don't.

Reactions: arbyar2
Bama, Florida, A&M, UT, LSU, Georgia, Auburn and Arkansas all get picked before UK. No way we are above any of them unless we beat UL. The absolute best we do is the Liberty Bowl if we don't.

We were picked over I believe Georgia for the Outback Bowl in the past and they know UK fans have been dying to go to a bowl game and might choose us over others who are having disappointing seasons. I could see some bowls picking us over Arkansas who will have the same SEC record as us with a win next week. LSU with a loss at Texas A&M will also have the same amount of SEC wins and same amount of overall wins. How attractive will they be with them firing their coach and having a disappointing season and possibly might announce their new coach before season is over? Sure normal years there wouldn't be a question of them over us, but this isn't a normal year. If we could upset UL, we definitely should be picked over some usually better teams.

Last edited:
11 bowl slots for the SEC and 10 teams are currently eligible. Two more SEC teams have a chance to get eligible.

Vandy (5-6) whipped Ole Miss tonight by 3 TDs to keep their bowl hopes alive. They host UT next weekend. 5 of Vandy's loses this year have been by 9 or fewer points.

Ole Miss (5-6) must beat Miss. State at home next Saturday to get eligible.

Of the REALITY bowls, I'd rather have Birmingham. Straight shot down 65 for me and five hour drive. I've been three times with the Cats. Twice with Claiborn (when they had an upper level, and the last bowl with The Joker, when the only scoreboard was powered by a gas generator.

Outback: zero chance, Was there with Mumme, sunburned,
Liberty: I made reservations at the Peabody b/c it's what I do but...no chance. Look at Southhaven Mississippi for rooms if it happens. $78/night possible. Peabody $445/night.
I have never been but have no desire to go to Shreveport, LA. NOLA, yes, but no Shreve for me. But I will if it's so.

Bottom line, I'd prefer the MCB. Stay at the Ramada with the guitar-shaped pool and walk from room to game. Two hour drive for me. See friends,

But I'll go wherever the Cats take us. Haven't missed a bowl since 1983. Didn't go to many, but didn't miss any.

CONGRATS CATS and all the FANS who stayed until 00:00 tonight!

I hope it's music city and that the sponsors of the bowl put more weight on the number of fans we have brought in the past and will bring this year. For instance my tailgate crew of 14 mostly say they will go only if it's Nashville because of distance .

We offer Nashville more than most other schools where it is a let down for them to go the MCB but for us a big deal and we'll fill up the place.

Well we got a bowl, now beat ul or Stoops get outta here.

Sick of losing to little city team

Well we got a bowl, now beat ul or Stoops get outta here.

Sick of losing to little city team

Why don't you use your influence with the NCAA, it is their responsibility. Try for the death penalty, it is probably appropriate.

There is a bright side to falling down the bowl list, we are much more likely to win the game, and in a couple of years recruits won't have any idea who we played, they will just see that we got a win and ended up with a winning record.

Why don't you use your influence with the NCAA, it is their responsibility. Try for the death penalty, it is probably appropriate.

There is a bright side to falling down the bowl list, we are much more likely to win the game, and in a couple of years recruits won't have any idea who we played, they will just see that we got a win and ended up with a winning record.

I bet our AD pays you.

I bet our AD pays you.

LOL, how long have you been on here, must not have been very long. Before the fan strike I tried to organize a one game boycott of the Charlotte whatever game on here a year or two before the real fan strike became necessary,, not in protest of the coaches at the time but of the AD's support of football. The thread lasted quite a while and might have inspired the real fan strike. I really don't blame Brooks OR Joker that much for the results they got with the support that mitch gave them. Brooks did an amazing job with the talent he was able to land (with Joker as his best, (maybe only at times) recruiter, but while I think Joker was a good position coach he wasn't the magician Brooks was.

I will bet you I have criticized our AD's abysmal support of football in his first ten years more than any five other fans put together. Everyone is tired of my rants about mitch, and I don't capitalize his name because that might be some sign of respect.

Here is a copy of a small sample of PART of one of my rants, I really don't feel like going through all the very long list of his sins.:

"And there is no reason for a basketball fan to do anything but like mitch, when you get a new "Coal House", a $40,000,000 facility primarily for basketball (think volleyball also uses it), a recruiting budget MORE for four or five recruits in the program that has EVERYTHING than for the program (that WAS responsible for over three times the profit from basketball) that signs 25 or more recruits a year, when the operating budget for the program with EIGHTY FIVE scholarships is about the same as the program with THIRTEEN rides, when the bb program has the BEST facilities in the nation while football has had a "recruiting room" that was a disgrace to a State University, then maybe you can have some love for mitch. I love UK basketball also (follow all the sports) but the discrepancy in the support in mitch's first ten years was unbelievable AND unexplainable..

LOL, how long have you been on here, must not have been very long. Before the fan strike I tried to organize a one game boycott of the Charlotte whatever game on here a year or two before the real fan strike became necessary,, not in protest of the coaches at the time but of the AD's support of football. The thread lasted quite a while and might have inspired the real fan strike. I really don't blame Brooks OR Joker that much for the results they got with the support that mitch gave them. Brooks did an amazing job with the talent he was able to land (with Joker as his best, (maybe only at times) recruiter, but while I think Joker was a good position coach he wasn't the magician Brooks was.

I will bet you I have criticized our AD's abysmal support of football in his first ten years more than any five other fans put together. Everyone is tired of my rants about mitch, and I don't capitalize his name because that might be some sign of respect.

Here is a copy of a small sample of PART of one of my rants, I really don't feel like going through all the very long list of his sins.:

"And there is no reason for a basketball fan to do anything but like mitch, when you get a new "Coal House", a $40,000,000 facility primarily for basketball (think volleyball also uses it), a recruiting budget MORE for four or five recruits in the program that has EVERYTHING than for the program (that WAS responsible for over three times the profit from basketball) that signs 25 or more recruits a year, when the operating budget for the program with EIGHTY FIVE scholarships is about the same as the program with THIRTEEN rides, when the bb program has the BEST facilities in the nation while football has had a "recruiting room" that was a disgrace to a State University, then maybe you can have some love for mitch. I love UK basketball also (follow all the sports) but the discrepancy in the support in mitch's first ten years was unbelievable AND unexplainable..

Then you must understand it's a must win next week for the program. I never thought of one like this. I look at next week game when ul came to town in 2011 and beat us outta no where. They look back on that game and felt it's what got them going again. I think this is where the tables turn!

Then you must understand it's a must win next week for the program. I never thought of one like this. I look at next week game when ul came to town in 2011 and beat us outta no where. They look back on that game and felt it's what got them going again. I think this is where the tables turn!

It is not a "must win", and while I think we can win the odds are big time against it. We do need to not be embarrassed, but you can bet they will be as motivated (or more so) than our players. I have been following the Cats since the forties when I was a kid, and rebuilding a football program is a process, steady progress is what is needed, and we are on that path. The ten years mitch wasted while the rest of the SEC was making hay left us in a big hole talent wise, and it is still our biggest problem IMO. That is why I support Stoops, I do think these coaches are very good recruiters (AND evaluators of talent) and I think even if he fails he will leave us with the talent to attract a very good coach instead of having to have someone like Brooks come out of retirement because mitch couldn't find anyone else dumb enough to work for him at the time.

I am not conceding the game by any means and I do think we probably beat them next year, barring unexpected setbacks.

the CJ said there wasn't a single bowl rep at last night's game. but hey, with the turnout that's prob a good thing. my advice is to not pack the swim trunks just yet.

Since it is going to be a small bowl game, Birmingham seems most appealing among the likely destinations. The kids would get to play at Legion Field, and I expect local "neutrals" would attend the game in fair numbers. It is an old facility, but UK already has bowl history at Legion, so that would be cool. Attended my first UK bowl game at Legion.

As far as rep attendance is concerned, that is a simple thing. Who is going to travel to Lexington to watch us play an FCS team?

Since it is going to be a small bowl game, Birmingham seems most appealing among the likely destinations. The kids would get to play at Legion Field, and I expect local "neutrals" would attend the game in fair numbers. It is an old facility, but UK already has bowl history at Legion, so that would be cool. Attended my first UK bowl game at Legion.

As far as rep attendance is concerned, that is a simple thing. Who is going to travel to Lexington to watch us play an FCS team?

Most projections I seen have Houston as the likely opponent in the Birmingham Bowl. I'd prefer to play someone else.

I think people are really confused. Bowls are no longer really allowed to choose who they want. They are delegated by conference finishes and overall record. UK is going to finish 3rd in the SEC. I think at best beating UL, then UK plays probaly in the Liberty Bowl or Music City. 6-6 and UK is in Shreveport or Birmingham

I did not make the E Carolina Liberty Bowl. Another trip would be cool. I've never hit Beale St.

11 bowl slots for the SEC and 10 teams are currently eligible. Two more SEC teams have a chance to get eligible.

Vandy (5-6) whipped Ole Miss tonight by 3 TDs to keep their bowl hopes alive. They host UT next weekend. 5 of Vandy's loses this year have been by 9 or fewer points.

Ole Miss (5-6) must beat Miss. State at home next Saturday to get eligible.

Mason will keep his job...for another year at least. Going to be tough at Vandy next year for us, same with with at SC and at MSU. The swing games will be on the road next year.

As for 2016, I think Ole Miss beats MSU but Vandy loses to UT. UT will score enough to win.

Mason will keep his job...for another year at least. Going to be tough at Vandy next year for us, same with with at SC and at MSU. The swing games will be on the road next year.

As for 2016, I think Ole Miss beats MSU but Vandy loses to UT. UT will score enough to win.

Vandy is highly likely to get a bowl even if they don't beat UTn. Their APR is fairly close to the top of the list of potential 5-7 team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT