ADVERTISEMENT

OT- What Is Adrian Peterson's Deal?

rucker4

Freshman
Dec 8, 2021
This guy was an amazing NFL RB for many years in Minnesota-- one of the best I've ever seen when healthy.

Since he last played for the Vikings in 2016, he has now been with 7, yes 7, other NFL teams. Playing little in every place, meager stats, hanging around.

Then yesterday a domestic violence where he gets arrested.

And he says he still plans to come back and play for someone in 2022.

This guy is turning into the poster child for one of those guys who just doesn't know when to leave the game, and remember his greatness, but instead leaving us to remember his last several years of "mop up duty" and off-the-field crap.

Not sure if he's hanging around because he feels he would be lost without football or has he blown most of the money he's already earned?

Peterson is a joke now. The Titans brought him in and he couldn't do jack but guys I have never heard of came in and did well while Henry was out hurt. Foreman was really good and did solid considering his experience and ran it hard...Peterson looked like he was running in quick sand every time he got the ball in his 3 games with the team.

Reactions: rucker4
Peterson is a joke now. The Titans brought him in and he couldn't do jack but guys I have never heard of came in and did well while Henry was out hurt. Foreman was really good and did solid considering his experience and ran it hard...Peterson looked like he was running in quick sand every time he got the ball in his 3 games with the team.
I borderline feel sorry for him that he's not smart enough and not getting the proper advice to retire-- walk away. The past few years has really lessened an otherwise great career. Like you say, he's now being looked upon as a joke and a guy who has real issues.

My biggest question is WTF is wrong with people causing disturbances on flights? My goal on a flight is to do what I need to do to make the flight go smoothly, and hopefully get a nap in, read or listen to music. Anyone causing a disturbance on any flight should be placed on a nationwide permanent no-fly list. In addition, they should be held financially responsible to the airline and other passengers for expenses incurred due to their stupidity, and of course, felony criminal charges and stiff fines for any physical altercation.

My biggest question is WTF is wrong with people causing disturbances on flights? My goal on a flight is to do what I need to do to make the flight go smoothly, and hopefully get a nap in, read or listen to music. Anyone causing a disturbance on any flight should be placed on a nationwide permanent no-fly list. In addition, they should be held financially responsible to the airline and other passengers for expenses incurred due to their stupidity, and of course, felony criminal charges and stiff fines for any physical altercation.
Could not agree with you more!!!

Reactions: pardaisy
So he didn't invest in the stock market. I wonder how much of his contracts went to his
agent? 20-30%?

For as good as he was, the only thing I’ll remember about him is he fumbled at the one yard line in the NFC championship where they lost in OT to the Saints.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Thanks for this and clarifying. Like holy sh--, can't believe a guy would burn through money this fast.

He will become another Pete Rose or Mickey Mantle and need to do card shows until he dies to keep up with his bad spending habits. Usually guys like him never ever learn.
IIRC, he comes form a very poor background... father in and out of jail... he probably hasn't had people with his best interest helping him... then add in his stupid behavior...

100 mil. Let that sink in for a minute. Even paying his agent 10% or even 15% and the IRS 50% he would still have a cool 30 mil or so to burn. That’s ridiculous that anyone would spend that much money. Im sorry but I don’t feel bad for him at all.

Solid take

How does that work? They get insurance right? And what? A monthly check or something?
It’s a pension, similar to a 401K. The more you put in, the more the team matches. And the longer you work, the higher your yearly pension will be after you retire. Right now it’s about $43,000 a year for a retired NFL player. I’m guessing Peterson doesn’t have a lot of employment opportunities after football, so that 43K/year probably looks good.

He's just old school. Maybe he's trying to be a men. A real one the man's way before the internet and soft people in the world got up in arms about everything. He's a man. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It’s a pension, similar to a 401K. The more you put in, the more the team matches. And the longer you work, the higher your yearly pension will be after you retire. Right now it’s about $43,000 a year for a retired NFL player. I’m guessing Peterson doesn’t have a lot of employment opportunities after football, so that 43K/year probably looks good.
Appreciate it. Do we know for a fact he actually put money in? Or do the players have to?

Appreciate it. Do we know for a fact he actually put money in? Or do the players have to?
Like I said, it works like a 401K. We all have that, or something similar. The more you put in, the more you get back after retirement. You aren’t forced to contribute anything. But you’re an idiot if you don’t.

Reactions: SosaUK87
How does that work? They get insurance right? And what? A monthly check or something?
from my understanding they get more retirement per year they play
from what little i have read it maxes at over 200k if they wait until 55 to take it

not sure if that is accurate without doing some research

i think that is an average based off a lot of guys only playing 5 years and some taking a penalty for cashing out early (like social security)

It sounds like he had a very hard childhood. Most don't know what growing up with parents in prison, extremely poor, and no guidance would be like. I'm sure him being a great football player comes with some misguided adults kissing your butt and not holding you accountable either. I know some mid- d1 talent around my place going in and out of juvenile detention centers, but always seeming to end up back at regular high schools and eligible everytime the fall football season rolled around..

Reactions: JasonRDunn
It sounds like he had a very hard childhood. Most don't know what growing up with parents in prison, extremely poor, and no guidance would be like. I'm sure him being a great football player comes with some misguided adults kissing your butt and not holding you accountable either. I know some mid- d1 talent around my place going in and out of juvenile detention centers, but always seeming to end up back at regular high schools and eligible everytime the fall football season rolled around..
I appreciate the fact he had a bad childhood with no guidance of fatherly direction or counseling or discipline.

However, he's now a grown man at 36. If he is not smart enough to surround himself with smart minded people, even ordinary minded people, who place value on understanding disciplines with your money, then I have no sympathy for him. Out of sheer necessity the guy would be forced to change wouldn't you think?

I have never flown and have a severe fear of heights...but the current job wants us to meet somewhere once a year for payroll team building. I thought I dodged the bullet this year, but now she is asking about June-July to California (which is at the bottom of places I'd like to be at for a second, much less a week)...so if I saw something like that on a plane I would probably kill over lol.

If I have to go, I am going to a doctor and getting the best anxiety medication known to man that will have me knocked out the whole flight.

I have never flown and have a severe fear of heights...but the current job wants us to meet somewhere once a year for payroll team building. I thought I dodged the bullet this year, but now she is asking about June-July to California (which is at the bottom of places I'd like to be at for a second, much less a week)...so if I saw something like that on a plane I would probably kill over lol.

If I have to go, I am going to a doctor and getting the best anxiety medication known to man that will have me knocked out the whole flight.
I’ve flown a bunch when I was a kid and it wasn’t too bad but I had to fly to Houston right before the pandemic started and I was freaking out like crazy before the flights. I’ll probably message my doctor for some meds before my next flight.

Or stop stressing it out and take a couple days PTO in there and take the train. You aren't the first business traveler with fears of flying.

Reactions: Cat06
I get it, there are idiots out there, but this is a new thing. Like as in since COVID.

Fight crews are causing a lot of those disturbances with their heavy handedness. They feel emboldened to be heavy handed now.

I have over 200 flights under my belt. They are treating passengers like crap today.

Video purports to show man being removed from plane over 'Let's Go Brandon' mask​

The airline confirmed the passenger was removed for 'disregarding' crew member instructions​

Last edited:
Reactions: gojvc
I get it, there are idiots out there, but this is a new thing. Like as in since COVID.

Fight crews are causing a lot of those disturbances with their heavy handedness. They feel emboldened to be heavy handed now.

I have over 200 flights under my belt. They are treating passengers like crap today.

Video purports to show man being removed from plane over 'Let's Go Brandon' mask​

The airline confirmed the passenger was removed for 'disregarding' crew member instructions​

You have to put some real effort in to be a big enough asshole to get booted off a flight. It's really easy to not be an asshole and follow the rules set by the airline, thus doing your part to ensure the flight arrives safely, on time, and without incident. Anyone who can't/won't do that needs to be on a no flight list.

From the sound of the update from his wife and witnesses, the arrest was a bit of an overreach. They got into an argument and he removed the ring from her finger and in the process she was scratched. He didn't hit her or anything of that nature.

His history is awful but this instance sounds like a bunch of nothing to me.

I appreciate the fact he had a bad childhood with no guidance of fatherly direction or counseling or discipline.

However, he's now a grown man at 36. If he is not smart enough to surround himself with smart minded people, even ordinary minded people, who place value on understanding disciplines with your money, then I have no sympathy for him. Out of sheer necessity the guy would be forced to change wouldn't you think?
I looked a little further into his childhood (actually looked for the first time, but just assumed it was rough and I was right)

Not making excuses, but childhood trauma probably did play a role. His brother was killed by a drunk driver when he was seven. His father went to prison when he was 13. By all accounts he had a good mom, but he was still traumatized it seems. If you ever do any studies on childhood psychology, traumatic events like this very often shape a life. In no comparison to his crime, every school shooter in the history of the United States except one had endured a traumatic loss or event in their childhood. Making no excuses, but there is a link to childhood trauma and emotional issues throughout many peoples lives.

I looked a little further into his childhood (actually looked for the first time, but just assumed it was rough and I was right)

Not making excuses, but childhood trauma probably did play a role. His brother was killed by a drunk driver when he was seven. His father went to prison when he was 13. By all accounts he had a good mom, but he was still traumatized it seems. If you ever do any studies on childhood psychology, traumatic events like this very often shape a life. In no comparison to his crime, every school shooter in the history of the United States except one had endured a traumatic loss or event in their childhood. Making no excuses, but there is a link to childhood trauma and emotional issues throughout many peoples lives.
appreciate this, BUT:

He's 36 years old now. Needs to be a responsible adult. Needs to simply be smart enough to understand how to manage his money or hire someone to do that for him.

You're right, shouldn't be excuses here.

appreciate this, BUT:

He's 36 years old now. Needs to be a responsible adult. Needs to simply be smart enough to understand how to manage his money or hire someone to do that for him.

You're right, shouldn't be excuses here.
Just putting a little context on why a 36 year old rich guy might do something like this. Childhood trauma damages an individual..

People that stand up when the plane reaches the gate need to be fired into the sun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT