ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA Men’s Team

Maybe Tatum was benched because he's a dukie? Lebron made plays in the comeback hard to be critical of him.

Nope
Glad they won, no doubt, but just going thru the motions for 3 quarters is just laughable. Almost as bad as the coaching. Don't really care for Tatum, but he is a scorer, and he needs to play when points are hard to come by. Same with Haliburton, he is a player. Ridiculous to have guys sit an entire game.
They won. 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: stuway
Don't really care for Tatum, but he is a scorer, and he needs to play when points are hard to come by. Same with Haliburton, he is a player. Ridiculous to have guys sit an entire game.
This is dumb. This ain't an all star game where you can guarantee minutes to everyone on the roster. Instead, it's the frickin medal round of the Olympics, where tough decisions have to be made to get to your best rotation. At least a couple guys are gonna have to sit regardless of how talented you are ...because no team has ever played best by playing everyone.

And, fwiw, we've ALREADY seen Team USA give big minutes to Tatum and Halliburton in last year's World Cup. The result was an embarrassing 4th place finish. I like this way better.

Serbia is GOOD. The game was frustrating but that 4th Quarter was exciting. Steph was awesome. Lebron gets a lot of hate, but he was great too and had a Triple Double.

The Gold Medal Game should be fun too.

Reactions: ganner918 and UK90
Nope
Glad they won, no doubt, but just going thru the motions for 3 quarters is just laughable. Almost as bad as the coaching. Don't really care for Tatum, but he is a scorer, and he needs to play when points are hard to come by. Same with Haliburton, he is a player. Ridiculous to have guys sit an entire game.
First off Haliburton has been outclassed this whole Olympics. I don't know if he's dealing with some type of injury, but he is just a body on the floor when he's in the game.

Second, Serbia is actually really good. They are at worst the 3rd best team in the world. I don't know wtf Canada was doing.

Last, I agree with you about coaching. US coaching is the reason Serbia had as big of leads as they did.

First off Haliburton has been outclassed this whole Olympics. I don't know if he's dealing with some type of injury, but he is just a body on the floor when he's in the game.

Haliburton is being asked to play a very different style than he plays in the NBA, he's a ball dominant point guard in the NBA and he's not going to get that sort of role on this team. He's honestly just not a great fit with this team, only thing that makes sense is he's there in case guys get sick/hurt and to develop him for future USA basketball teams.

It is all pretty simple, the players who struggle (Haliburton and a couple others) are used to playing THEIR system and with THEIR teammates. It takes some getting used to with going from being option 1 / 1A on your team, to option 7,8,9. It also takes adjusting to playing with different players / system. The reason Serbia was tough to beat is A. they have played together several years, and B. they are really talented as a UNIT, not just as a individual talent. FIBA basketball is DIFFERENT than the NBA.

Side note : If it was possible (it most of the time not because foreign players play on the team), but Have the NBA champion team compete in the Olympics. IF it was possible, I wonder how they would do, they would be used to playing with each other and the system. But with the big invasion of EURO players and other foreign players, we will never know. For example, take the 2017 Warriors, Curry, Durant, Draymond, Igoudala, Clay Thompson, and the role players, how would they do against Euro teams TODAY ?

Absolutely a great game. Serbs got great looks for 3 quarters and hit them. Moving Lebron to Joker in the 4th made a huge difference. Just wore him down. Curry’s line was insane. He kept the US within reach all game. I can’t stand Lebron, but my goodness he gets it done. Just a fun, fun game.

International basketball has no doubt gotten much better since 92. That said, anyone that thinks this collection is anything close to the Dream Team is just so far off base. That 92 team could’ve beaten an all star team of all the other Olympic teams combined that year. I can’t imagine anyone that has seen both teams play actually think this years team compares. Advancement of international ball or not, this team was down as much as 17 to a Serb team that has maybe three legitimate NBA players.

Reactions: UK90
This is dumb. This ain't an all star game where you can guarantee minutes to everyone on the roster. Instead, it's the frickin medal round of the Olympics, where tough decisions have to be made to get to your best rotation. At least a couple guys are gonna have to sit regardless of how talented you are ...because no team has ever played best by playing everyone.

And, fwiw, we've ALREADY seen Team USA give big minutes to Tatum and Halliburton in last year's World Cup. The result was an embarrassing 4th place finish. I like this way better.

Not only that, but it's a rotation thing. When they run James at point forward so Curry and Booker can play, you can't really play Tatum. Then Durant came back and also plays the same role.

Reactions: ganner918 and UK90
My anti-Lebron friends we're loving them losing yesterday, which while I don't really like Lebron either at this point.. I'm not gonna root against the US.

But anyways, they tried to say that "Jordan would never...".. so I asked them "Who were the best basketball players Jordan faced in the Olympics?".. And we all struggled to answer.

My anti-Lebron friends we're loving them losing yesterday, which while I don't really like Lebron either at this point.. I'm not gonna root against the US.

But anyways, they tried to say that "Jordan would never...".. so I asked them "Who were the best basketball players Jordan faced in the Olympics?".. And we all struggled to answer.
Toni Kukoc would be about the only one that I can remember.

Absolutely a great game. Serbs got great looks for 3 quarters and hit them. Moving Lebron to Joker in the 4th made a huge difference. Just wore him down. Curry’s line was insane. He kept the US within reach all game. I can’t stand Lebron, but my goodness he gets it done. Just a fun, fun game.

International basketball has no doubt gotten much better since 92. That said, anyone that thinks this collection is anything close to the Dream Team is just so far off base. That 92 team could’ve beaten an all star team of all the other Olympic teams combined that year. I can’t imagine anyone that has seen both teams play actually think this years team compares. Advancement of international ball or not, this team was down as much as 17 to a Serb team that has maybe three legitimate NBA players.

Well, of course they could beat a collection of the other teams that year… there were maybe 10 NBA players outside of the US and I doubt any were near all NBA caliber. There are ~70 nba players on non-USA teams this year. Not to mention a couple of MVPs + all stars.

Would the ‘92 team beat this team, maybe? But it’s not fair to make the assessment based on who each team played. This team is more talented (and more athletic) than the ‘92 team with the advancement in 3 pt shooting. It’s the evolution of sport, every generation is better than the last.

In 1992 the best international player was Toni Kukoc who was around the 75th best player in the world at that time.

In 2024 the 4 best players in the world are international: Jokic, Luka, Giannis, and SGA.

It’s not even close. The 2024 team is better than the dream team as they are navigating a FAR tougher tournament.

Steve Kerr looks lost. I guess he is too busy focusing on the next woke initiative instead of coaching.
It's always funny to me the group of people who complain about wanting sports without politics can't watch a single game without bringing politics into the conversation.

In 1992 the best international player was Toni Kukoc who was around the 75th best player in the world at that time.

In 2024 the 4 best players in the world are international: Jokic, Luka, Giannis, and SGA.

It’s not even close. The 2024 team is better than the dream team as they are navigating a FAR tougher tournament.
I know Embiid is playing for the US, but this graphic illustrates how different the competition is fairly well.

wujbd78lxmzc1.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT