ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kobe's wife files lawsuit against helicopter outfit

Not talking about this situation, but I abhor America's "sue culture." Even I was around 12 the neighborhood kids were playing on my court. A kid breaks his ankle and they tried to sue us like it was our fault. Thank God it was thrown out.

I'll give another example that was legit. My father fell 9 feet onto a ladder. The emergency room doctor said he was fine and tried to get my dad discharged cause he refused to leave, knowing something was bad wrong. Another doctor just looked at him and knew something was wrong. Turns out he had severed his spleen and was bleeding internally. If that doctor had not walked by in the emergency waiting room, where my dad was, refusing to leave, he would've died in an hour. We sued and won so many hundreds of thousands of dollars. Im not sure the amount. The doctor who tried to send him home was fired. I think that's a legitimate reason to sue.

You just gave two perfect examples of the system working.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
As you said court of public opinion is different than actual court and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. My opinion is I prefer to wait until the FAA comes out with their findings to see if it shows the pilot and company were negligent before saying then they should be held accountable. If they are then yes they should be sued for their action. However, not everything in life is negligence... sometimes bad things happen that are just out of our control and I reserve judgement on which this is until the facts come out.

But litigation itself provides for discovery and the ability to test theories against facts. So there's literally no need to wait until a third-party comes out with a report (which is not available in 99% of cases), nor is there a need to tie your entire lawsuit to the outcome of that report (people and agencies are imperfect). And there's considerable risk in waiting, including defenses (statutes of limitation, laches), practical considerations (witness memory degradation, litigation takes a lot of time), and financial (time value of money, need for upfront payment). So while it's nice to wait for a report before forming your public opinion, it's a horrible litigation strategy.

Even for Rafters, I gotta admit it's shocking to see people on the side of the coffee and helicopter.

I guess I am just a believer in being responsible for your actions and not blaming someone else for everything that goes wrong in your life. If you have ever drank coffee and buy coffee that isn't iced coffee you should expect it to be hot. You should also know that if you spill it on yourself then it could result in harm.

Just like if my eye doctor tells me to avoid welding without a helmet, I do it anyway and go blind then it isn't his fault and I shouldn't be allowed to sue him or the maker of the welder for my mistakes/stupidity. Now if he told me it wouldn't hurt anything for me to weld helmet-less and I did it causing damage to my eyes then that's a different story.

Last edited:
I guess I am just a believer in being responsible for your actions and not blaming someone else for everything that goes wrong in your life. If you have ever drank coffee and buy coffee that isn't iced coffee you should expect it to be hot. You should also know that if you spill it on yourself then it could result in harm.

How hot, though? How much harm? Would you accept a cup of coffee that was 500 degrees (ignore the state of matter part)? 1000 degrees? There's a line somewhere, isn't there? Great, so now that we've all agreed it's a line-drawing exercise, let's see where that line is:
  • McDonalds required that its coffee be kept at 180-190 degrees (freedom units, obv.). But other competitors, from fast food joints to sit down restaurants, served it at least 20 degrees cooler (and often more).
  • Why does that matter? Because at 190 degrees it takes 3 seconds for a third-degree burn (requiring skin grafting). 160 degree coffee takes about 20 seconds.
So we have all the information we need here. There's a vast difference between 160 degrees and 190 degrees, each of which are "hot." And "you should expect" that the hot coffee you are being served is approximately the same temperature as the hot coffee you have been served by other establishments, right?* Your prior experiences, after all, are why "you should expect" anything at all. So a cup of coffee that is unreasonably (can't drink it at 190 degrees) and unexpectedly (McDonalds was the outlier) "hot" is not the same as a cup of coffee that is "hot."

* Most people prefer around 140 degrees, which is still hot but much, much less dangerous than the 190 degree coffee at issue in the McDonalds case.

Some other interesting stuff that most don't know:
  • McDonalds proffered reason for 190 degree coffee was that drivers typically waited to drink their coffee until they arrived, meaning that the coffee would cool. But McDonald's own research stated that many customers consumed coffee immediately.
  • From 1982 until 1992, McDonalds had received 700 reports of people being burned by their coffee, and those were settled for over $500,000 in the aggregate.
  • The plaintiff suffered third-degree burns on 6% of her body (skin grafts!), and second-degree burns on another 16%. She was permanently disfigured and partially disabled for two years.
  • The plaintiff initially sought $20,000, which would have covered her past ($10,500) and future ($2,500) medical expenses, plus lost wages for her daughter (who missed work to care for her). McDonalds offered $800. The plaintiff then hired an attorney.
  • The attorney offered to settle for $90k. A mediator later suggested $225k just before trial. McDonalds refused both offers.
  • The jury awarded $200k in compensatory damages (reduced to $160k) and $2.7m in punitive damages (based on 2 days of McDonalds coffee revenue, which is not tethered to compensatory damages as required by due process, and later reduced to $480k, 4x compensatory).
  • The parties ultimately settled for an undisclosed amount less than $600k in exchange for dropping appeals.
So what we have is a perfect storm of (i) ridiculously and needlessly hot coffee, (ii) a corporate failure to identify its own liabilities and evaluate its own information, (iii) bad litigation strategy by McDonalds, and (iv) a good lesson in how punitive damages work. It's sad that the "lesson" that most people derived from this case was "litigation bad!"

Just like if my eye doctor tells me to avoid welding without a helmet, I do it anyway and go blind then it isn't his fault and I shouldn't be allowed to sue him or the maker of the welder for my mistakes/stupidity. Now if he told me it wouldn't hurt anything for me to weld helmet-less and I did it causing damage to my eyes then that's a different story.

No way I’ll judge someone that lost a child AND a spouse, two weeks later. I’m sure she’s an emotional disaster.

Last edited:
You're making some awfully big, and awfully wrong, assumptions about my legal career. I work in NYC in what is colloquially known as "big law." In your food industry hypothetical my clients would be the chefs and owners of the Michelin restaurants (although I did represent the National Restaurant Association on behalf of clients like McDonalds and other fast food corporate parents once). Frankly, a case like this is not big enough to end up with a "big law" firm. It looks like Bryant hired Munger (an elite firm, but smaller than most big law firms with less than 200 attorneys) as counsel, although co-counsel (a KC firm specializing in helicopter crashes) is likely doing the real work.
Then you should have had zero problem understanding that it would not be unreasonable for the state of Illinois to become a named defendant, nor how it is plausible that any maintenance negligence when the aircraft was under their ownership may already be discovered, and also how the most strategic way to approach those coffers would be action against the current owner / operator first. Yet you were all over how too poo-poo all of that, simply because of a rhetorical musing of liquidation and relocation to Europe's posh-most tax Haven.

Then you should have had zero problem understanding that it would not be unreasonable for the state of Illinois to become a named defendant, nor how it is plausible that any maintenance negligence when the aircraft was under their ownership may already be discovered, and also how the most strategic way to approach those coffers would be action against the current owner / operator first. Yet you were all over how too poo-poo all of that, simply because of a rhetorical musing of liquidation and relocation to Europe's posh-most tax Haven.

No, your non-liquidation/Switzerland arguments fare no better. First of all, all defendants are named with the exceedingly rare (and I mean exceedingly rare) exception of a defendant class action. They're just defendants. And anyone can be named as a defendant simply by the filing of a complaint.

Getting past that, your theory is that the state of Illinois, which owned the helicopter until 2015, would somehow be liable for the crash due to "any maintenance negligence when the aircraft was under their ownership?" I would bet $bajillion that they're never even considered as a defendant because the concept of proximate cause is a bedrock principle of tort law. The theory would have to be that Illinois, sometime before the end of 2015, owed a duty to passengers travelling on a trip in 2020 from a different owner that had its own maintenance obligations in the intervening time period. And this would allow, somehow, Vanessa et al to go after the "coffers" of Illinois. I mean, anything is possible post-CERN, but this would be mind blowing.

Of course, none of that attenuated theory of liability gets to the idea of... collusion between competing firms (at least one of which is fantastically respected - Munger - and would never jeopardize their well-earned reputation for what amounts to a trivially small lawsuit for an elite firm) to rack up fees sufficient to make an obscenely wealthy widow flee "to Europe's post-most tax Haven" (I guess that's Switzerland?).

Sorry I am not going to read a novel. If I were it would be something with substance like War and Peace not a message on a message board telling me how wrong I am and how right you are.

How hot, though? How much harm? Would you accept a cup of coffee that was 500 degrees (ignore the state of matter part)? 1000 degrees? There's a line somewhere, isn't there? Great, so now that we've all agreed it's a line-drawing exercise, let's see where that line is:
  • McDonalds required that its coffee be kept at 180-190 degrees (freedom units, obv.). But other competitors, from fast food joints to sit down restaurants, served it at least 20 degrees cooler (and often more).
  • Why does that matter? Because at 190 degrees it takes 3 seconds for a third-degree burn (requiring skin grafting). 160 degree coffee takes about 20 seconds.
So we have all the information we need here. There's a vast difference between 160 degrees and 190 degrees, each of which are "hot." And "you should expect" that the hot coffee you are being served is approximately the same temperature as the hot coffee you have been served by other establishments, right?* Your prior experiences, after all, are why "you should expect" anything at all. So a cup of coffee that is unreasonably (can't drink it at 190 degrees) and unexpectedly (McDonalds was the outlier) "hot" is not the same as a cup of coffee that is "hot."

* Most people prefer around 140 degrees, which is still hot but much, much less dangerous than the 190 degree coffee at issue in the McDonalds case.

Some other interesting stuff that most don't know:
  • McDonalds proffered reason for 190 degree coffee was that drivers typically waited to drink their coffee until they arrived, meaning that the coffee would cool. But McDonald's own research stated that many customers consumed coffee immediately.
  • From 1982 until 1992, McDonalds had received 700 reports of people being burned by their coffee, and those were settled for over $500,000 in the aggregate.
  • The plaintiff suffered third-degree burns on 6% of her body (skin grafts!), and second-degree burns on another 16%. She was permanently disfigured and partially disabled for two years.
  • The plaintiff initially sought $20,000, which would have covered her past ($10,500) and future ($2,500) medical expenses, plus lost wages for her daughter (who missed work to care for her). McDonalds offered $800. The plaintiff then hired an attorney.
  • The attorney offered to settle for $90k. A mediator later suggested $225k just before trial. McDonalds refused both offers.
  • The jury awarded $200k in compensatory damages (reduced to $160k) and $2.7m in punitive damages (based on 2 days of McDonalds coffee revenue, which is not tethered to compensatory damages as required by due process, and later reduced to $480k, 4x compensatory).
  • The parties ultimately settled for an undisclosed amount less than $600k in exchange for dropping appeals.
So what we have is a perfect storm of (i) ridiculously and needlessly hot coffee, (ii) a corporate failure to identify its own liabilities and evaluate its own information, (iii) bad litigation strategy by McDonalds, and (iv) a good lesson in how punitive damages work. It's sad that the "lesson" that most people derived from this case was "litigation bad!"

If you're going to talk about it, you might as well be informed about it. Otherwise, you look like a fool.

I think if anything it has been proven it's that a message board is full of people giving their opinions on stuff they are not informed about. You do realize that right? I didn't know we had to become a scholar about a subject before we were allowed to have an opinion.

Now I admit I have not had a class on the temperatures of coffee but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn before and know when something says "Hot" on the cup that there is a chance it could burn me. So I feel I know all I need to know about the subject without reading his book/post by simply having comprehension skills and common sense.

I think if anything it has been proven it's that a message board is full of people giving their opinions on stuff they are not informed about. You do realize that right? I didn't know we had to become a scholar about a subject before we were allowed to have an opinion.

Now I admit I have not had a class on the temperatures of coffee but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn before and know when something says "Hot" on the cup that there is a chance it could burn me. So I feel I know all I need to know about the subject without reading his book/post by simply having comprehension skills and common sense.
Creed, I generally like your takes. But that's a very weak response. It's ok to say that you didn't know that much about the topic at hand. And then concede the point.

Creed, I generally like your takes. But that's a very weak response. It's ok to say that you didn't know that much about the topic at hand. And then concede the point.

How much is there to know about hot coffee? It's hot and will burn you if you spill it on you.

If you are talking about the helicopter crash then yes I will readily admit I don't know a lot about it but then again who does until all the facts come out?

You're sounding real dumb right now.

How much is there to know about hot coffee? It's hot and will burn you if you spill it on you.

If you are talking about the helicopter crash then yes I will readily admit I don't know a lot about it but then again who does until all the facts come out?
Stay

I'll never understand willful ignorance

Reactions: mustnotsleepnow
Me either because coffee is hot and evidently some people don't know that. :joy:

However I am done with this whole thread. Have fun discussing it further.
There's really nothing else to discuss on it, if you won't become educated on the facts of that case. Another member even laid it out to you. Creed, you're still good people, and I look forward to more from you, albeit on a different topic, as you say.

I will always wonder if the pilot felt pressure from Kobe to fly no matter what or if he demanded that the pilot get them there. We will never know. It just is silly that they would be flying in those conditions with 9 people to go to a 13 year old basketball game.

I had the same question but my girlfriend brought up a counter point. If he was as good a father to GiGi as everyone is making him out to be, I don't think he would have ever let her get on that helicopter unless he was confident that it was safe. I don't think he would have pressured anyone to take off in that situation. If he was flying by himself, then maybe but I don't think he would do that with GiGi and the other families on board.

I will always wonder if the pilot felt pressure from Kobe to fly no matter what or if he demanded that the pilot get them there. We will never know. It just is silly that they would be flying in those conditions with 9 people to go to a 13 year old basketball game.

Even if (and I stress if, because we'll never know)Kobe did urge/demand that he get them there, that doesn't relieve the pilot of responsibility. If I hail a cab and then tell him I need to be at the airport in 20 minutes, and it's normally a 40 minute drive, and he takes off like a bat out of Hell, hits and kills a pedestrian, he is going to be charged with something like vehicular homicide (and other charges). He was under no obligation to do what I asked/told him I needed him to do.

How much is there to know about hot coffee? It's hot and will burn you if you spill it on you?

Well there's certainly more to know than that. 190 degrees = "hot" and will cause 3rd degree burns within 3 seconds. 160 degrees also = "hot" and will take up to 20 seconds to cause similar burns. 140 degrees also = "hot" and will take even longer to cause burns. Your oversimplification of "hot" is misleading.

FYI my last post takes less than 2 minutes to read. Leaded gasoline really did a number on this country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT