ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Joel Embiid

Now making $64 million PER SEASON.

This stuff is nuts. He wouldn’t be close to worth that even if he was a legitimate MVP, which he wasn’t. Sixers are a garbage franchise and I know Maxey just signed an extension but I hope he gets out of there soon.
Absolutely crazy money. Gonna be making a hundred million a year in no time.

Reactions: chroix and ORCAT
PartnerAnnual Cost (Before)Annual Cost (2025-)TV Package
ESPN/ABCPartner$2.8 billionNBA Finals, WNBA, primetime games
NBCN/A$2.6 billion2 playoff series, primetime games
AmazonN/A$2 billionIn-Season Tournament, Play-In, WNBA
Turner Sports$1.2 billionN/APrimetime games, NBA playoffs

https://sportsnaut.com/where-does-nba-revenue-come-from/

TeamRevenueTeamRevenue
Golden State Warriors$765 millionAtlanta Hawks$323 million
Los Angeles Lakers$516 millionWashington Wizards$323million
New York Knicks$504 millionSan Antonio Spurs$319 million
Boston Celtics$443 millionToronto Raptors$305 million
Dallas Mavericks$429 millionPortland Trail Blazers$300 million
Los Angeles Clippers$425 millionSacramento Kings$289 million
Houston Rockets$381 millionUtah Jazz$274 million
Chicago Bulls$372 millionDetroit Pistons$274 million
Miami Heat$371 millionCharlotte Hornets$269 million
Philadelphia 76ers$371 millionOklahoma City Thunder$267 million
Brooklyn Nets$367 millionIndiana Pacers$263 million
Phoenix Suns$366 millionNew Orleans Pelicans$262 million
Denver Nuggets$348 millionOrlando Magic$261 million
Cleveland Cavaliers$348 millionMinnesota Timberwolves$259 million
Milwaukee Bucks$329 millionMemphis Grizzlies$258 million

Absolutely crazy money. Gonna be making a hundred million a year in no time.
The salaries of athletes has gotten beyond the realm of being ridiculous and the pricing for fans has gone up and up. Maybe it will finally catch up to all of them when the fans starting tuning out because of the cost of supporting these athletes and leagues. Now college is starting to follow in the same line.

Nope and Embiid should have one of Joker's 2 MVP's. Joker is on a better squad with better coaching. Don't mix up post season with success with what goes on in the regular season.
Both Joker and Embiid have been the 2 best players in the world for the last 3 years imo.
No way Joker is the most valuable player in the league easy. He almost beat the USA single handily. He makes everyone on the court better.

The salaries of athletes has gotten beyond the realm of being ridiculous and the pricing for fans has gone up and up. Maybe it will finally catch up to all of them when the fans starting tuning out because of the cost of supporting these athletes and leagues. Now college is starting to follow in the same line.
It’s gonna be the top 10% in the world who can afford anything remotely cool very soon, even basic nessecaties are getting out of control for people who make six figures. I used to be like one day I’ll make $20 a hour and be doing well. Now that is McDonald’s pay in some areas. Even 40 hours making that wage will get you nothing. In the early 2000’s a 100k a year job was a very nice living. Now you will live paycheck to paycheck unless your spouse makes that much too. That’s with a moderately priced house and car and maybe 2 kids.

It’s gonna be the top 10% in the world who can afford anything remotely cool very soon, even basic nessecaties are getting out of control for people who make six figures. I used to be like one day I’ll make $20 a hour and be doing well. Now that is McDonald’s pay in some areas. Even 40 hours making that wage will get you nothing. In the early 2000’s a 100k a year job was a very nice living. Now you will live paycheck to paycheck unless your spouse makes that much too. That’s with a moderately priced house and car and maybe 2 kids.
Hard recession inbound. Too much wealth has been siphoned from the middle class. Life is too expensive.

Nope and Embiid should have one of Joker's 2 MVP's. Joker is on a better squad with better coaching. Don't mix up post season with success with what goes on in the regular season.
Both Joker and Embiid have been the 2 best players in the world for the last 3 years imo.
Which MVP would you take from Joker and give to Embiid?

1. MVP are regular season awards...which works only to Embiid's favor as Joker thrives in post season and Embiid is way less efficient in post season (and less effective overall). Joker plays essentially 95-100% of games each year. Embiid has played 60 or more games 4 times....

2. How is Joker on a better squad? Murray, Gordon, Porter, Caldwell-Pope....none have been all stars for Jokic. Embiid....Harden (not an all star with Embiid), Ben Simmons...3 time all star with Embiid, Jimmy Butler for a year, Maxey made all star last year....then guys like Tobias Harris, etc...

I just don't see how you can argue Joker has been on better teams that built him up.....if anything, he builds up journey men (like Gordon) into much better players that they've ever shown. I can't name a player that with Embiid played the best ball of his career (maybe Reddick is all I can come up with )

3. Coaching....I can see Mike Malone is better than Doc RIvers.....but Nick Nurse did a job at Toronto. So I'm not sure I 100% on coaching.

Embiid got one MVP and I was fine with the one he got (although in that post season he withered as he always adn Joker one a title)....but to argue he deserves any of Joker's is silly.....unless your Kendrick Perkins.

Agree 100% with you. It's a different world with different standards than what most of us grew up in. Once it was just a dream or very big goal to maybe become a millionaire some day. Now there are many in that category and it just isn't the same type of American dream any more. Money, no matter how much or how little you have, doesn't take you as far these days. We're not rich, by any means, but are OK in our household and still have to tighten the belt quite a bit.

I'm fine with that money, but not for Embiid. Dude probably has like 2 years left playing a this level before he drastically falls off as his body crumbles. They also have done some analytics that show he really doesn't make the 76ers that much better. He's a bit of a stat stuffer.

Reactions: chroix and Wonky

Embiid has not had a MVP worthy season since he’s been in the NBA in my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. 😎

Embiid hasn’t been the best Center any of the past 3 years, let alone best player in the league.

No way Joker is the most valuable player in the league easy. He almost beat the USA single handily. He makes everyone on the court better.
What Joker did in the Olympics has nothing to do with the MVP race. Are you saying Embiid makes everyone on the court worse? Also I love how everyone ignores how much greater Embiid is on the defensive end. Joker is not in his galaxy on that side of the floor but I doubt anyone on here will admit that.

The last live sporting event I attended was when I took the fam to the LSU game in Rupp Arena in 2022. I paid over $250 for three tickets, plus gas for the drive from Louisville, plus $20 to park in the Rupp lot. Over $300 for a two hour ballgame. To say we can get far more value out of our entertainment dollar is the understatement of the century. One warning though. Be careful if you stop going to these games. You might be surprised at how little you miss it.

Hard recession inbound. Too much wealth has been siphoned from the middle class. Life is too expensive.
Been hearing this constantly for like 10 years now. I'll believe it when I see it. Reminds me of the quote "Economists have correctly predicted 15 of the last 3 recessions."

Reactions: wardlow and 1war
PartnerAnnual Cost (Before)Annual Cost (2025-)TV Package
ESPN/ABCPartner$2.8 billionNBA Finals, WNBA, primetime games
NBCN/A$2.6 billion2 playoff series, primetime games
AmazonN/A$2 billionIn-Season Tournament, Play-In, WNBA
Turner Sports$1.2 billionN/APrimetime games, NBA playoffs

https://sportsnaut.com/where-does-nba-revenue-come-from/

TeamRevenueTeamRevenue
Golden State Warriors$765 millionAtlanta Hawks$323 million
Los Angeles Lakers$516 millionWashington Wizards$323million
New York Knicks$504 millionSan Antonio Spurs$319 million
Boston Celtics$443 millionToronto Raptors$305 million
Dallas Mavericks$429 millionPortland Trail Blazers$300 million
Los Angeles Clippers$425 millionSacramento Kings$289 million
Houston Rockets$381 millionUtah Jazz$274 million
Chicago Bulls$372 millionDetroit Pistons$274 million
Miami Heat$371 millionCharlotte Hornets$269 million
Philadelphia 76ers$371 millionOklahoma City Thunder$267 million
Brooklyn Nets$367 millionIndiana Pacers$263 million
Phoenix Suns$366 millionNew Orleans Pelicans$262 million
Denver Nuggets$348 millionOrlando Magic$261 million
Cleveland Cavaliers$348 millionMinnesota Timberwolves$259 million
Milwaukee Bucks$329 millionMemphis Grizzlies$258 million
Wild. And we have roads falling apart, teachers being underpaid, mental health being underfunded, etc.

I know this is private sector dollars, but it just shows, money is there.....we just choose to fund bread and circuses.

Which MVP would you take from Joker and give to Embiid?

1. MVP are regular season awards...which works only to Embiid's favor as Joker thrives in post season and Embiid is way less efficient in post season (and less effective overall). Joker plays essentially 95-100% of games each year. Embiid has played 60 or more games 4 times....

2. How is Joker on a better squad? Murray, Gordon, Porter, Caldwell-Pope....none have been all stars for Jokic. Embiid....Harden (not an all star with Embiid), Ben Simmons...3 time all star with Embiid, Jimmy Butler for a year, Maxey made all star last year....then guys like Tobias Harris, etc...

I just don't see how you can argue Joker has been on better teams that built him up.....if anything, he builds up journey men (like Gordon) into much better players that they've ever shown. I can't name a player that with Embiid played the best ball of his career (maybe Reddick is all I can come up with )

3. Coaching....I can see Mike Malone is better than Doc RIvers.....but Nick Nurse did a job at Toronto. So I'm not sure I 100% on coaching.

Embiid got one MVP and I was fine with the one he got (although in that post season he withered as he always adn Joker one a title)....but to argue he deserves any of Joker's is silly.....unless your Kendrick Perkins.
So you are going to lead an arguement with Ben Simmons being as an example of Embiid having the same type of supporting cast. Ben Simmons is hot garbage and is afraid of pressure more than any player that has ever played in the NBA. Harden was a good get for the sixers but don't act like it was 10 years ago Harden. Maxey is on the way to super stardom. The others for the Sixers leave a lot to be desired especially when we are talking playoff basketball.
As for the Nuggets supporting cast, Aaron Gordon does all the things on defense that Embiid does allowing Joker to not have to focus on defense as much. That is one of the main reasons Embiid struggles to make it through the season because he plays with disregard for his body. When he's on the floor he is all out all the time.

Embiid has not had a MVP worthy season since he’s been in the NBA in my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. 😎

Embiid hasn’t been the best Center any of the past 3 years, let alone best player in the league.
So 33 and 10 and 31 and 12 are not MVP worth seasons?
Yea we are done talking about this my guy.

I have
I have no idea how a lot of people/families live life because of the cost anymore- & who watches the NBA for the TV stations to pay them that kind of $$$$

Sports is part of the entertainment industry and there is just big money there; movie stars and musicians are also making huge money. Personally I'd rather the players make big bucks than the already multi-billionaire owners keeping all of it. Don't say lower ticket prices instead since few if any of the owners would ever do that.

Reactions: chroix
Six one way, half a dozen another with those two. Both have a case to be made.

I will say this, SGA's supporting cast is objectively worse than Luka's. Give SGA some better pieces, and he's busting out of the western conference playoffs and into the NBA finals.

Six one way, half a dozen another with those two. Both have a case to be made.

I will say this, SGA's supporting cast is objectively worse than Luka's. Give SGA some better pieces, and he's busting out of the western conference playoffs and into the NBA finals.
That is ridiculous. SGA’s supporting cast is MUCH better than Luka’s. The Thunder have the deepest roster in the league.

Reactions: nptb and ukcatz12
The last live sporting event I attended was when I took the fam to the LSU game in Rupp Arena in 2022. I paid over $250 for three tickets, plus gas for the drive from Louisville, plus $20 to park in the Rupp lot. Over $300 for a two hour ballgame. To say we can get far more value out of our entertainment dollar is the understatement of the century. One warning though. Be careful if you stop going to these games. You might be surprised at how little you miss it.
I don’t go to many games but I used to love going to the Louisville game every year. I sound about like you. I maybe will go to one or 2 a year because the cost just can’t be justified.

Reactions: gojvc
So you are going to lead an arguement with Ben Simmons being as an example of Embiid having the same type of supporting cast. Ben Simmons is hot garbage and is afraid of pressure more than any player that has ever played in the NBA. Harden was a good get for the sixers but don't act like it was 10 years ago Harden. Maxey is on the way to super stardom. The others for the Sixers leave a lot to be desired especially when we are talking playoff basketball.
As for the Nuggets supporting cast, Aaron Gordon does all the things on defense that Embiid does allowing Joker to not have to focus on defense as much. That is one of the main reasons Embiid struggles to make it through the season because he plays with disregard for his body. When he's on the floor he is all out all the time.
I agree that Simmons was just a weird fit and ended up being a disaster after he got that contract.....but the fact is still remains...Simmons was a 3 time all star....warts and all.

Joker has literally never played with a guy that made the all star. Maybe Gordon should have made it....but he never has.

I agree that Simmons was just a weird fit and ended up being a disaster after he got that contract.....but the fact is still remains...Simmons was a 3 time all star....warts and all.

Joker has literally never played with a guy that made the all star. Maybe Gordon should have made it....but he never has.
Murray is an all star level player it’s just the West is stacked. But that is about it. Aaron Gordon is very good but Jokic is the best

I like Gordon but I don’t think there has ever been a time that he was snubbed . So like you said Jokic has never had a clear cut all star teammate unlike everyone else outside of SGA(since he’s become the man)

Reactions: K_TIME
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT