ADVERTISEMENT

OT... I need a kidney transplant

Jun 14, 2017
Some of you may know that I have kidney disease. Over time, my kidney disease has gotten worse and now they are not working enough to keep me alive. This is what I’m dealing with now, and my options are limited to dialysis treatments for the rest of my life or a kidney transplant.

Getting dialysis requires me to do it five nights a week for about 3 hours a night. This works well enough to keep someone alive but is not like a working kidney. A transplant would offer me the hopes of living longer, healthier and more normal life. It would also give me more time to do the things I love like spending time with my family and friends.

Getting a kidney transplant is not easy. There are over 100,000 people waiting for a deceased donor. Time is not on our side. Some people wait for many years and others die while waiting. The average wait time for a deceased donor is about 5 years. There is another option: receiving a kidney from a living donor.

Asking friends or family members to consider donating a kidney is difficult, but it greatly improves the chances of getting a transplant and improves my chances of living longer and healthier.

You might not know a lot about living kidney donation-I didn’t before kidney disease hit home. I am sure some are afraid of the surgery and what living with one kidney will mean for them.

Here is some basic information:

Some people can live a healthy life with one only one kidney.
Donor surgery can be done laparoscopically.
The recuperation time is usually quick.
The cost of the evaluation and surgery is covered be the recipient’s insurance.
You get a nurse assigned specifically to you to look out for your best interests.

Thank you for taking time to read this story. If you want to donate or have questions, you may contact the University of Kentucky Transplant Center at (859) 323-2467.

Some of you may know that I have kidney disease. Over time, my kidney disease has gotten worse and now they are not working enough to keep me alive. This is what I’m dealing with now, and my options are limited to dialysis treatments for the rest of my life or a kidney transplant.

Getting dialysis requires me to do it five nights a week for about 3 hours a night. This works well enough to keep someone alive but is not like a working kidney. A transplant would offer me the hopes of living longer, healthier and more normal life. It would also give me more time to do the things I love like spending time with my family and friends.

Getting a kidney transplant is not easy. There are over 100,000 people waiting for a deceased donor. Time is not on our side. Some people wait for many years and others die while waiting. The average wait time for a deceased donor is about 5 years. There is another option: receiving a kidney from a living donor.

Asking friends or family members to consider donating a kidney is difficult, but it greatly improves the chances of getting a transplant and improves my chances of living longer and healthier.

You might not know a lot about living kidney donation-I didn’t before kidney disease hit home. I am sure some are afraid of the surgery and what living with one kidney will mean for them.

You get a nurse assigned specifically to you to look out for your best interests.

Thank you for taking time to read this story. If you want to donate or have questions, you may contact the University of Kentucky Transplant Center at (859) 323-2467.

I hope things work out for you. Unfortunately, the more money you have the faster you will get what you need. Sad but true, the organ black market is alive and kicking. South east Asia my friend. the poorer nations. Where there is a will there is a way. Vice did an episode on it. I encourage watching it. Sad for the those who need them and those who get very little for giving them up. Good luck my friend, hate hearing stories like this, but wish you the best

Reactions: Bigdaddyboo71

Hope you find one soon. Prayers sent.

OP,

Thanks for sharing this info. My dad is actually about to go on a list as well. What's your blood type?

You're actually doing the best thing possible: which is to get the word out to as many people as possible. I'm sorry you're going through this. My dad is having a rough time as well. You'll be in my thoughts this week, sir.

I have considered giving up a kidney. You only need one to survive. I am A+ blood type and I need to contact you so we can discuss. I do need to get with my doctor and find out if my diuretic medicine needs adjusting post-op. Please give your phone number or some way I can get ahold of you so we can discuss. One benefit is that kidney I give up is going to a big blue fan so it will have a happy home.

My wife has struggled with kidney probs on and off...she has had to have three of the procedures where they break up the stones then she has the agony of passing them.

In fact she is currently having some discomfort that I hope doesnt result in another trip to the lithotripsy.

You are in my prayers Big D.

OP,

Thanks for sharing this info. My dad is actually about to go on a list as well. What's your blood type?

You're actually doing the best thing possible: which is to get the word out to as many people as possible. I'm sorry you're going through this. My dad is having a rough time as well. You'll be in my thoughts this week, sir.
The more that people know about kidney transplant the better for everyone. People don’t understand sometimes about transplant. If I help someone get a transplant with this... me or whoever it may be it is worth it. Praying for your dad also!

I have considered giving up a kidney. You only need one to survive. I am A+ blood type and I need to contact you so we can discuss. I do need to get with my doctor and find out if my diuretic medicine needs adjusting post-op. Please give your phone number or some way I can get ahold of you so we can discuss. One benefit is that kidney I give up is going to a big blue fan so it will have a happy home.
Contact by email Lonnie.collins1971@icloud.com. I will give you phone number and everything that way. Thanks you so much for reading and caring. I have A+ also.

Reactions: Cindog28
WildcatHarry and I have talked and are proceeding to the next steps. We are going to be talking more.. he is going to call the UK transplant center and move forward and we will see what happens . This will be bigger story then Billy Clyde and the coaches wife transplant!!!!! Go Cats!

Reactions: TIE543

There is hope. The Pastor of my church needed a transplant. He was going through dialysis and looking for a donor. Come to find out his wife was a perfect match. The transplant took place a couple of months ago and both the donor and the receiver are doing wonderfully. He has been back in the pulpit for two weeks. We will keep you in our church prayer circle. God does wonderful things.

May God bless you. Wish you the best.

I donated my son one of my kidneys exactly 3 years ago as of yesterday. (pictured on my profile pic).We had no idea when we adopted him from Guatemala at 6 months old that he would need a kidney 12 years later and that I would match him almost perfectly. He has been doing great since. Stay positive Bigdaddyboo71 things have a way of working out. Also anyone can donate their kidney through a process called "paired exchange" where someone can donate to someone that they match in exchange for you recieving a match through the kidney network. If you know someone that is willing to donate but is not your blood type. Your Hospital can give you all the info on it. Prayers for a great match and speedy recovery.

There is hope. The Pastor of my church needed a transplant. He was going through dialysis and looking for a donor. Come to find out his wife was a perfect match. The transplant took place a couple of months ago and both the donor and the receiver are doing wonderfully. He has been back in the pulpit for two weeks. We will keep you in our church prayer circle. God does wonderful things.
Thank you! There is always hope in the Lord!

I donated my son one of my kidneys exactly 3 years ago as of yesterday. (pictured on my profile pic).We had no idea when we adopted him from Guatemala at 6 months old that he would need a kidney 12 years later and that I would match him almost perfectly. He has been doing great since. Stay positive Bigdaddyboo71 things have a way of working out. Also anyone can donate their kidney through a process called "paired exchange" where someone can donate to someone that they match in exchange for you recieving a match through the kidney network. If you know someone that is willing to donate but is not your blood type. Your Hospital can give you all the info on it. Prayers for a great match and speedy recovery.
Yes I had a friend receive one though the exchange program. I am going to UK and UC hospitals and on both list!

Reactions: bigblue1971

my mom has had a full and productive life on one kidney for the last 40 years

Hey; Shadowan4 here. Been on these message boards for probably 20 years plus. Your post really touched me to the point I contacted the phone number you posted and left info how they could contact me. My blood type is B+, so while I might not be a blood type for u, maybe I could for another person. Would certainly need to discuss with my family and physician, but I cannot think of a better way of giving back, as I have been so blessed my entire life. Best of luck in finding u a quick match and if not me, then hopefully someone else. God Bless.

Hey; Shadowan4 here. Been on these message boards for probably 20 years plus. Your post really touched me to the point I contacted the phone number you posted and left info how they could contact me. My blood type is B+, so while I might not be a blood type for u, maybe I could for another person. Would certainly need to discuss with my family and physician, but I cannot think of a better way of giving back, as I have been so blessed my entire life. Best of luck in finding u a quick match and if not me, then hopefully someone else. God Bless.
Thank you for considering this life saving gift for someone!!! When they call back give my name Lonnie Collins. Thank you again!!!!

mr. bigdaddyboo1971 and I had a phone conversation this afternoon. We are both doing the best we can to make this work. A lot of extensive testing and examination.
We want to thank BBN for the encouragement and prayers. as we take the next steps on this journey. Also, we'll need for others to lend support in case It is needed tHAT I don't work out. WE'll keep you abreast as to what is going on. BBN really rallies together for a good cause.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT