ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Downside to Alabama Making The Playoffs

Huge loss for Bama today. Maybe the best player in college football leaving.

Oh yeah, for sure. Except it looks like he is headed to Ohio St who I hate more than Bama

It does? Anything is possible I guess. I read the OSU update and they sound hopeful. I think we know where he is heading pretty quick, by Friday at the latest.

Last edited:
In other portal news, I’ve noticed UT has three players heading to Louisville and two of the three were committed to Ole Sis then jump ship. That NIL paper must be okay up there 🍺

Last year I would know UT meant Tennessee, but in these changing times it cold mean Texas too. Both have strong NIL programs.

Reactions: TM2013
Oh yeah, for sure. Except it looks like he is headed to Ohio St who I hate more than Bama
These idiots up here in Ohio will NOT, no matter how much the SEC has beat their butts over the years, admit or even entertain the thought that the SEC has been/is the better conference.

They'll convince themselves that this is better than winning the Big2.

It does? Anything is possible I guess. I read the OSU update and they sound hopeful. I think we know where he is heading pretty quick, by Friday at the latest.

Likely Ohio State or Georgia. Ohio State was runner up in his original recruitment. However, his former position coach from AL just went to Georgia so I’m sure they will be involved too.

Likely Ohio State or Georgia. Ohio State was runner up in his original recruitment. However, his former position coach from AL just went to Georgia so I’m sure they will be involved too.

Involved? Kirby just hard his lead recruiter and position coach from Bama. So yeah UGA is involved for certain.

In other portal news, I’ve noticed UT has three players heading to Louisville and two of the three were committed to Ole Sis then jump ship. That NIL paper must be okay up there 🍺
Louisville puts athletics above its students. Jurich and Ramsey almost bankrupted their foundation money building the Yum and expanding Cardinal stadium. You know…. The stadium that has never been filled except for Ky this year. To think they won’t pay athletes is crazy.

Reactions: Docpath1972
Sounds a lot like what I just said. 🤷‍♂️

Other than you weren't sure UGA would recruitbhim, most definitely are, as hard as they have anyone. Bama's starting LT also hit the portal today and rumors of a more by Friday, UGA hasn't showed any interest in the OL, likey headed to Iowa or Iowa St.

Other than you weren't sure UGA would recruitbhim, most definitely are, as hard as they have anyone. Bama's starting LT also hit the portal today and rumors of a more by Friday, UGA hasn't showed any interest in the OL, likey headed to Iowa or Iowa St.
Not sure where I said I didn’t know if UGA would recruit him. 🤷‍♂️ I said he would likely land at either OSU or Georgia and Georgia just hired his position coach from AL. Seems pretty obvious that they would be recruiting him.

Don’t know if it’s true but I’ve read that there is/was some friction between UGA and the Downs family, which may have been why he didn’t go to UGA from high school, even though he’s from the state of Georgia. If true, then that would be Georgia’s biggest hurdle in landing him. Hiring his former position coach can only help with that.

Last edited:
So sick of hearing about Alabama....let them struggle. And cry me a river over the transfer portal. Same for everyone. Alabama is going to struggle compared to the past. It is not the plug and play job where you just pick the hottest coach on the market and keep truckin. It takes a lot of crap to go right at even a top program.

Reactions: hmt5000
Saban knew what would happen to Alabama, he should have announced his retirement sooner! It’s hard for me to feel sorry for Bama, they’ve stacked 4-5 star players up down there for years. That’s why Saban got out of Dodge! Can’t stack em 4 deep anymore. Guys want money and playing time.

Reactions: FltDoc
“Weaseling?” Hell, it appears from the play on the field that Bama was better at the end of the season than Texas or Washington. Losing one game and beating the No. 1 team in the country is “weaseling?”

Bad take.

Reactions: grevey35
He isn't wrong.

When a coach leaves, the portal opens for that school's players for 30 days.

It's not a big deal if the portal, for everyone, is still open.

However, the timing of this, it wasn't.

Thus, Bama can only lose players right now, unless they want players from Washington, or Arizona, or any other cascade effect of other schools with players allowed to transfer.

He isn't wrong.

When a coach leaves, the portal opens for that school's players for 30 days.

It's not a big deal if the portal, for everyone, is still open.

However, the timing of this, it wasn't.

Thus, Bama can only lose players right now, unless they want players from Washington, or Arizona, or any other cascade effect of other schools with players allowed to transfer.

2 more 4 star OL hitting the [portal...UK interest? Chances?

Teams and programs really need to focus on culture imo if they want to avoid portal roulette every year. It won't be perfect, but recruiting the right culture will bring back most of your team. I think UK and stoops does that fairly well, because we rarely lose anyone we want to keep.

Rumor is also that many Bama players were "on the payroll for cheaper than average" because of Saban.

And now that has been opened up...
Players signed for the coach not the brand. Bama didn't have the incentive to get their NIL structure efficient relative to their competitors because they had an edge with Saban.

A lesson for UK basketball after Cal retires, me thinks.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
This is what has the Bama fans whining so much. Saban retired, won't be Bama's coach next fall. This opens a 30 day window for Bama players to leave after the normal portal closed, same for all teams that lost coaches. So the only players Bama can recruit are Arizona and Washington players, and of course their own, while every school in the country can come after their players. Unless the rules are changed for Bama, the 2nd portal after spring practice, Bama can't go after players from other SEC teams which is where quite a few of their transfers are heading. Yesterday on Paul Legend was boasting that Bama was going to come after your players. Apparently he doesn't know SEC rules, unless it's changed Bama can't come after SEC players. Now I won't be surprised if the SEC office doesn't change the rule to protect Bama, but if not, going to be a tough year with about 55 SEC lvl players. No room for an injury

The QB Bama just signed, 5* J Sayin is hitting the portal a week after starting classes. Really classy of Bama and Saban to wait until the kids attended class to announce his retirement forcing them to use the portal. Likely to OSU or USC.

Georgia people are even more optimistic they will land him. Makes sense since he is from Georgia and Kirby just took his old position coach at Bama.

Georgia people are even more optimistic they will land him. Makes sense since he is from Georgia and Kirby just took his old position coach at Bama.

I don't know anything other than what I read. Yesche is from about 45 minutes away depending on traffic, mother has a degree from UGA, Kirby just hired Bama's DB coach, yes UGA is after him hard.

Watch the portal today, have read going to be some more exits from Bama. So either all these kids signed up for Saban and are checking out now that he is retired, or they can't stand the new staff. If Bama has a down season, won shock me if the send Debore packing and name Saban coach again. They are down to below 60 players and have had about 10 FB leave either through portal or draft.

Bama fans are finding its not near as exciting when other teams are coming in stealing their players as it was when they were raiding other team's roster.

I don't know anything other than what I read. Yesche is from about 45 minutes away depending on traffic, mother has a degree from UGA, Kirby just hired Bama's DB coach, yes UGA is after him hard.

Watch the portal today, have read going to be some more exits from Bama. So either all these kids signed up for Saban and are checking out now that he is retired, or they can't stand the new staff. If Bama has a down season, won shock me if the send Debore packing and name Saban coach again. They are down to below 60 players and have had about 10 FB leave either through portal or draft.

Bama fans are finding its not near as exciting when other teams are coming in stealing their players as it was when they were raiding other team's roster.
I take it you don't like Alabama? So you wouldn't be surprised if they can DeBoer after one down year, thus eating an astronomical contract and bring back Saban, who will decide to come out a retirement that he chose in the first place, to right things? Also, my understanding of the recent and post-portal period of success that Alabama has had a lot more to do with recruits than transfers, much like Georgia has.

The scheduling and logistics of recruiting, portal, and coaching carousel are just all out of control.

A group of coaches, athletic directors, NCAA, BCS, and conference officials just need to get together and hammer out a more organized schedule of things.

The season and post season need to be respected and given wide birth. That's the money maker and most important thing...obviously.

Then it would be logical that there's a "carousel season" first. Meaning after the post season, all the turnover/hiring/firing goes down. Once all that is done, portal season can begin. After everyone has found a home, then you go to high school recruiting.

Now that players can earn money, contracts are going to have to be a thing inevitably, and that will bring more stability.

I would argue that the burden of recruiting should also go down due to pay/NIL. Essentially, like the NFL, there's no reason for coaches to go to the talent anymore.

There's a draft. Then there's free agency, players are invited to try out. No one is going to anybody's home to impress momma, pops, the crew, and/or handlers. Do you want this opportunity to play and get paid or not? If so, you show up here at this time and we'll squeeze ya in with all the other talent that wants it.

Occasionally, in free agency there's a big whopper of a player that the coach and owner will go fly out to see but those guys have earned it. They've racked up stats, pro bowls, been to a super bowl, etc...

I take it you don't like Alabama? So you wouldn't be surprised if they can DeBoer after one down year, thus eating an astronomical contract and bring back Saban, who will decide to come out a retirement that he chose in the first place, to right things? Also, my understanding of the recent and post-portal period of success that Alabama has had a lot more to do with recruits than transfers, much like Georgia has.

Up until the last 2-3 years. They have had multiple starters from different programs come in and be major contributors. When UT got in trouble and Pruitt fired, Toa'Toa went to Bama, immediate starter, their leading receiver in 21, Williams was a transfer, 22, they brought in a starting OL, a starting RB, Starting LB and starting WR. 23 had another starting WR and starting LB. They probably had a higher percentage of transfer starters than 80% of the conference who were transfers. OM will likely lead the conference from this point on, it's almost like Lane just abandoned HS recruiting.

IF Bama loses 4 games this year, his seat will be as hot an any in the country if he isn't let go. Saban doesn't seem to be able to let go, he has said he will have an office and be giving advice to the new staff. You don't realize how serious Bama people take football, the last person who got them in NCAA trouble was found in a motel room and had to be identified by fingerprints and the ruling was he trip and hit his head. Ordinary fans have shot each other over game results. So yeah, 3 early losses and Saban taking over wouldn't surprise me at all.

Saban waited to announce until after classes started. Pretty sure playing in a regular bowl wouldn't have mattered. Saban planned it to keep kids on campus it backfired on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT