ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cat fans that are Reds fans how we feel this spring?

Feeling great. Could be some really high scoring innings from them this year. Sucks we are going to be without Scooter for a while. All about the pitching though. Can't wait to see Mike Trout in person either.

The way we've pissed away Joey Votto's career is downright criminal.
There's a contingent among the fan base that has wanted him traded for years because of his contract. The Reds issue has been not keeping talent and paying the wrong people, i.e. Homer. To those who think in that rationale, you don't keep a player of Votto's caliber by not paying him and don't win without guys like Votto. Definitely not his fault the franchise decided to have a fire sale in the middle of his prime surrounding himself with young prospects and AAA players. Anyone been paying attention to what Harper, Machado and Trout signed for?

Last edited:
Won’t be better than cubs or Milwaukee or St. Louis for that matter. Still a few years away

Agreed. There's a contingent among the fan base that has wanted him traded for years because of his contract. The Reds issue has been not keeping talent and paying the wrong people, i.e. Homer. To those who think in that rationale, you don't keep a player of Votto's caliber by not paying him. Definitely not his fault the franchise decided to have a fire sale in the middle of his prime surrounding himself with young prospects and AAA players. Anyone been paying attention to what Harper, Machado and Trout signed for?
I guess those fans believe we'll magically knock out another Alfredo Simon for Suarez trade to replace Votto. Votto's probably the best 1st baseman in franchise history. You flippin do what you have to to keep him lol

Just imagine what the payroll would be for the Big Red Machine...sad it will never happen again in such a small market.

MLB is a joke today compared to the way the game was before it was $whored into submission.

Reactions: musrat59
One of the best changeups in the game. Big year coming

I don’t see the Cardinals having bullpen issues this year. We’ve got a ton of young arms and guys like Hicks are only getting better (while throwing 105 MPH). We signed Miller and we’re moving Martinez into the bullpen. We’re deep actually, Jack Flaherty hasn’t even his his stride and he’s gonna be a stud.

With the addition of guys like Robinson, and of course Goldschmit (potential NL MVP) we’re gonna be deep. Not to mention Paul Delong will be healthy this year, and he was nearly Rookie of the year before the injury.

With the leadership of Yadi Wainwright returning, we’re the team to beat in the central.

The Cubs lost their window. They’ll compete but they’ll be the Cubs.

Reds, they just can’t get out of their own way. Dusty Baker, Puig, Phillips, they just always go after guys that organizations like STL or Boston wouldn’t sniff. That might be half their problem.

Reactions: JacksonPurchaseCat
I'd love to be sold for once that the Reds are legit. All these moves that were made were via trades, no actual impact free agent signings or anyone who is a sure fire bet to carry us to a World Series was added to the roster.

I don't want to call it a half ass attempt at trying to contend but they've certainly tried to quiet the noise by brining in a bunch of C-Level talent or expiring contracts to a team that has been atrocious the last 5 years.

I'd love to be wrong and if the Reds win the World Series this year, I will come back to this thread and stream myself eating a live crow!!

Tucker Barnhart is a steal for what we pay him. He’s one of the most consistent catchers in the league. Reds need that money for pitching more than they do another catcher
The Reds are getting what they paid for in Tucker. 2nd to last in WAR offensively among starting catchers in our band box that is GABP that is a slugger's paradise. Only 3 spots above Mesoraco. 2nd overall in defensively last season. He's not perfect but most consistent wouldn't be the description I'd use for such extreme differences in his overall game.

Realmuto 1st in offensive WAR, 8th in defensive. That's consistency with overall production on both sides of the plate. Any trade for him was rumored to have dealt Tucker so it's not like money that should have gone to free agents was being spent wastefully on another catcher. Would have been some of our top prospects getting dealt as the key components to a trade.

Can't wait for new blood in Tyler Stephenson some day. There's only about 3-5 catchers that are worth a shit anyways in MLB right now. If Barnhart really is one, won't he walk anyway if the Reds are paying him so little? He'll get buried like Jason LaRue did on depth charts by the time he leaves town. More recent version would be Martin Maldonado, ranks defensively as a top 5 catcher. Not a franchise catcher, splits duties and got a 1 year deal with Salvador Perez was out. Split time with McCann last year in Houston after LAA traded him.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/year/2018/position/c/sort/WARBR/order/true

Last edited:
I think Castillo can be a great player but are you for real with a top 5 CY Young?? You’re saying he’s a bumgarner, kershaw, deGromm caliber player??he brings heat and cut but he’s far away from a cy young contender

One of the best changeups in the game. Big year coming

Castillo is a brilliant young arm. If he can build on his excellent 2nd half last season, this year being just his 2nd full year, he could have one hell of a season this year. The Reds are banking on him being the Ace of the staff that they can't afford. He's getting the nod for Opening Day and frankly is the choice I would have gone with too.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
I also hate Scott Schebler, everyone should know that. I think we win the second wildcard and finish a game behind the cubs.

Schebler is definitely expendable with our full roster healthy. He has proved nothing but production in small spurts and a significant injury history. I'd prefer to see him dealt.

My preferred OF would be LF Kemp, RF Puig, CF Winker since Senzel is hurt and was reassigned to the minors anyway. Winker has had a slow start but I attribute a lot of that to recovering from the shoulder surgery.

There's still depth in the organization at OF with Ervin, Senzel converting to CF, Dietrich is a utility player with 156 games in the OF with his most starts, 192 at 2nd logging much of that when Dee Gordon was suspended for PEDs.

Last edited:
I will be very happy if they finish .500. They had some nice wins last year but were horribly inconsistent. This pitching staff has to be much better than last year. Offense should be solid as well. It’s at least fun again for me!

I wonder who is going to wind up replacing Marty Brennaman on the radio side next year. Hope it's not Jim Day. I like him and his quirkiness on the TV side.

Honestly, I haven’t paid attention at all this spring.

Once the season starts, I’ll see who’s on the roster, (I know Votto, Suarez, Hamilton, Gennett) and I’ll get back into it.

I know they made a huge trade in the offseason. Hopefully it works out. The Gennett injury doesn’t help.

I think they will surprise some people this year and might make the playoffs, but that's pretty much as far as they will go. Thank God for FC Cincinnati though. If it weren't for them being competition in the summer, then the Reds would absolutely wouldn't have spent as much as they did this past offseason. Castellini is too cheap for that and now hes in a position where he has to stay relevant and I love it

There's no reason that team can't compete for one of the 2 wildcards but at the same time i can see it not working out also. Two eyes on Luis Castillo this year, he's got the stuff to really step it up but he's gotta get his command right and clean up the extra pitches that take you out early.

I'm cautiously optimistic. But I always am until about the middle part of June before I start longing for football season.
Reasons to feel good:
I like the moves they made. They made trades for veterans, some are mainly role players or (Deitrich, Iglesias) At least one is past his prime (Kemp), but they made the moves without giving up too many prospects and they got rid of Homer Bailey in the process which was the best part of it all. I think they made decent moves to shore up the pitching staff. The offense should be stellar, especially when Gennett returns. (betting he's out till mid-late June though) I think there's going to be some long high scoring games this year. hopefully the offense can overcome some pitching deficiencies. I like Puig, he will put fans in the seats, lets just hope he keeps his head on straight. I think Votto will bounce back mainly because the front office gave him a glimmer of hope for his waning years. Suarez is the real deal and I think the heir apparent to Votto as the teams MVP in the coming years. You can tell how he's really relied on Votto to help him with his approach at the plate. Votto should be a hitting coach after he retires.

Reasons to not feel so good:
Injuries. Already. Rookie Manager. While the pitching staff moves were decent, they weren't spectacular. I would have liked them to have made a deal for a guy Corey Kluber who they were rumored to be in the mix for. They got some decent pitchers but no top of the rotation guys. I'll bet Mahle unseats somebody in the rotation before its over. I feel bad for Senzel, dude was a natural 3B and basically because of Suarez, they've bounced him around all over the place. Now he's hurt again and going to get a late start. He can't catch a break. I know it's pre-season and they do a lot of roster tinkering, but they were pretty abysmal in the Cactus League, only winning 8 games. I'm not sure if they really got their starting pitchers adequately stretched out.

If they are in contention or at least close, they at least have some pieces now they can move mid season to hopefully shore up the roster. Kemp, Schebler come to mind. Hopefully they will look for a top of the rotation type guy at the deadline.

Definitely going to be a fun season, hopefully it lasts past mid June.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
Tough loss last night. Giving up the Braun RBI ^9th, and we get guys on in the bottom with the chance to tie it back up or outright win....ugh. Only game 3. Im loving the aggressive moves Bell is making, its at least been interesting to watch us so far. DeSclafani takes the mound tonight, first time weve had him healthy at opening of season in 3 years.

Tough loss last night. Giving up the Braun RBI ^9th, and we get guys on in the bottom with the chance to tie it back up or outright win....ugh. Only game 3. Im loving the aggressive moves Bell is making, its at least been interesting to watch us so far. DeSclafani takes the mound tonight, first time weve had him healthy at opening of season in 3 years.

Not sure this team is going to score a lot with Schebler leading off and Gennett on the IR. Plus unimpressive debuts by Gray and Roark, and poor showing by Stephenson out of the bullpen. So far, not much different, but it is only 3 games . . .

Not sure this team is going to score a lot with Schebler leading off and Gennett on the IR. Plus unimpressive debuts by Gray and Roark, and poor showing by Stephenson out of the bullpen. So far, not much different, but it is only 3 games . . .
Most disappointing guy might be Raisel Iglesias...they may be wishing they traded him or put that $ towards a starter (like Keuchel) instead of keeping him.

Hopefully they start winning bringing more fans in the ballpark. Lowest attendance total in GABP history last night. If not, in for a year long Ric Flair convention at the games with all the "woo-ing" and howling. I kind of think it's funny but it's hated by the masses. It was a brief segment on KSR about it today.

Most disappointing guy might be Raisel Iglesias...they may be wishing they traded him or put that $ towards a starter (like Keuchel) instead of keeping him.
Rumors had it there was a deal in works at one time for Iglesias & Hamilton to the Marlins for Christian Yelich..

Looks like they will be what they've been the last few years......not very good.

Does anyone know what the MLB record for 1 run losses in a season is? Asking for a friend . . . :scream:

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
A 1-0 loss to the Brewers today totally wasting a great pitching start from Castillo. The offense is terrible right now and the Reds are fundamentally still terrible. 3 one run losses in a row.

Schebler and Winker are collectively 0-30. Let that sink in for a minute. How do two major league outfielders go 0-30 in five games?

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Winker & Schebler on the board now. The Reds are getting the starting pitching which was the biggest concern I had with the team. Just waiting on the offense to get rolling. Hopefully Senzel recovers soon and the Reds management get their heads out of each other's asses and call him up.

Last edited:
starting pitching has been really good so far . . . offense has been coached by Bill Curry unfortunately.
Winker and Schebs have gone a combined 0-30 at the plate.....Senzel cant come up soon enough. When we get Scoot back as well, I thinknwe start seeing things gel.

Im not happy about this start, but we KNOW we didnt have pitching and now we do. We KNOW we have bats, and as soon as they liven up, we should be fine. So many close losses....and how many guys have we left on base. Im remaining optimistic.....Nick and Scoot are gonna really help.

Reactions: cats1068
Good grief, veterans the caliber of Jose Iglesias getting caught up in a run down. As Marty just said, this team just can't get out of their own way. One thing for a rookie to do that but Jose Iglesias (7 years experience) is going to be paying up in Kangaroo Court on that one.

Opening Day:
tenor.gif

After tonights 6th straight loss:
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT