ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cat fans that are Reds fans how we feel this spring?

I’m more excited this year than I have been in a few. Should be able to score a lot of runs but I’m pretty skeptical of the rotation. Too many guys have to have great seasons to compete in the best division in baseball.

Sonny Gray might be the key. If he can win 15 games I think that means we’ll be right in the thick of a wild card race.

I’m more excited this year than I have been in a few. Should be able to score a lot of runs but I’m pretty skeptical of the rotation. Too many guys have to have great seasons to compete in the best division in baseball.

Sonny Gray might be the key. If he can win 15 games I think that means we’ll be right in the thick of a wild card race.
I see a very big improvement this year but we won’t compete in this division. I like us in 2-3 years once our core has matured and we get some consistency in the rotation.

I am optimistic as I have been in a very long time. We did just lose Scooter but if this staff can be middle of the pack in era we are competing for a playoff spot. Schebler votto Suarez winker/kemp Puig peraza Iglesias tucker is a damn potent lineup

Love going to reds games and seeing some UK blue spread throughout the stadium. How we feel about this years team and the future?
giphy.gif

MLB Opening Day should be a National Holiday. Injury bug has already visited the Reds, hopefully this will not be a sign of things to come for the season. As a Reds fan since '67, I just want them to get back to being competitive and play ,500 ball. I am looking for a big year from Puig as this is a contract year for him. Also excited to have Sonny Gray and Tanner Roark. They should be able to score runs and play solid defense but once again how good is the pitching.

MLB Opening Day should be a National Holiday. Injury bug has already visited the Reds, hopefully this will not be a sign of things to come for the season. As a Reds fan since '67, I just want them to get back to being competitive and play ,500 ball. I am looking for a big year from Puig as this is a contract year for him. Also excited to have Sonny Gray and Tanner Roark. They should be able to score runs and play solid defense but once again how good is the pitching.
Day after super bowl too

I like the newly acquired Alex Wood, Yasiel Puig, and Matt Kemp to go along with a couple of all stars on the roster. The Reds should be better than last year, but still, a few short-comings with the pitching staff and a couple of other positions will leave the Reds in the middle of the pack in the NL Central, far out of first place. An improvement over past years, but still lots of work to do.

I hope I'm wrong and the Reds surprise me with a strong season.

I’m excited for the first time in years. We are set up perfect. Kemp will probably be the first one traded. Depending on what we’re doing puig May end up being traded unless the reds can get him to sign a deal for 3-4 years. I think we can sign Roark as he had played great this spring. Alex wood needs to get healthy so we see what we have. I think the reds will end up trading scooter eventually to make Senzel the second basemen. Suarez and peraza aren’t going anywhere. Same can be said for winner. Trammel is also in waiting, so is Irvin. I think they will also move schebler for the right deal. A lot will determine how the season is going, but I would love for them to find a way to keep puig around. I think the reds will also be looking for more pitching throughout the season.

I was pretty down after last year but the Kemp/Puig/Wood trade for Bailey raised my interest. I can't stand another sub-70 win season, though, but I don't think the pitching is there to truly contend.

Cautiously optimistic.
This. Love the moves they made. Shows they are at least trying to win. I really like the coaches we added as well. I am going to Opening Day on Thursday, can't wait!!

Here’s my thoughts on the NL Central

Pirates - not a contender but honestly could finish 2nd if they were in the AL Central. They’re talented and won’t be a pushover like say the Marlins in the NL east. 70 wins in a tough Central

Brewers - I expect they come down to earth. There biggest weapon is their bullpen and they’ve already got 2 of the big 3 battling injuries. Aguilar isn’t going to repeat his 2018 and I expect Yelich to come back to earth. Rotation doesn’t wow me either. 81 wins

Cardinals - they’re going to be fine, they’ll do cardinal things and hang around. I don’t think Mikolas repeats his 2018 and some of the other guys are question marks in the rotation. But, they’ll be a quality team, addition of Goldy is obviously big. 84 wins

Cubs - I expect Kris Bryant and Contreras to have bounceback years. Their rotation is very good when healthy so that’s obviously the key to them. Will other guys take the next step? Happ, Schwarber? I’ll say they’ll slug their way to a division title with a solid, healthy rotation. 89 wins

Reds - my reds, I love the moves they’ve mad. I think there’s an energy with the team. Puig is going to have a monster year, Senzel is my ROY and I expect the rotation to be solid. Luis Castillo is going to finish top 5 CY Young. But, I think the bullpen is going to hurt us. Hughes and Hernandez will regress. We’ll see if Amir Garett can figure out for a whole season and how the young pitchers fit it this year. Scooter going down hurts but I’m not a big Scooter guy and thought he’d regress anyway. Dietrich and Iglesias will be fine. Idk about Votto, I love the guy but he did not look good last year. Was it back troubles or is it something more? He dribbled weakly to 2B over and over and rarely drove the ball, love the walks but he needs to hit .310 with 20+ bombs to make this team extremely good. I also hate Scott Schebler, everyone should know that. I think we win the second wildcard and finish a game behind the cubs.

Super excited until the Gennett and Senzel injuries. Was hoping to see what the Reds at 100% could do but that’s too much to ask

Tickets for opening day are on a clip magnet on the refrigerator. Was a Reds fan ten years before I ever saw the UK campus. My years at UK were in the Reds glory years of the 70's. Loved rubbing salt in the wounds of Reds and Pete Rose haters.

Must agree, cautiously optimistic. We played .500 ball after that God awful start, and five years of dead ass last. On paper we're much better than last year or any year since 2013. I think we'll know by Memorial day.

Here’s my thoughts on the NL Central

Pirates - not a contender but honestly could finish 2nd if they were in the AL Central. They’re talented and won’t be a pushover like say the Marlins in the NL east. 70 wins in a tough Central

Brewers - I expect they come down to earth. There biggest weapon is their bullpen and they’ve already got 2 of the big 3 battling injuries. Aguilar isn’t going to repeat his 2018 and I expect Yelich to come back to earth. Rotation doesn’t wow me either. 81 wins

Cardinals - they’re going to be fine, they’ll do cardinal things and hang around. I don’t think Mikolas repeats his 2018 and some of the other guys are question marks in the rotation. But, they’ll be a quality team, addition of Goldy is obviously big. 84 wins

Cubs - I expect Kris Bryant and Contreras to have bounceback years. Their rotation is very good when healthy so that’s obviously the key to them. Will other guys take the next step? Happ, Schwarber? I’ll say they’ll slug their way to a division title with a solid, healthy rotation. 89 wins

Reds - my reds, I love the moves they’ve mad. I think there’s an energy with the team. Puig is going to have a monster year, Senzel is my ROY and I expect the rotation to be solid. Luis Castillo is going to finish top 5 CY Young. But, I think the bullpen is going to hurt us. Hughes and Hernandez will regress. We’ll see if Amir Garett can figure out for a whole season and how the young pitchers fit it this year. Scooter going down hurts but I’m not a big Scooter guy and thought he’d regress anyway. Dietrich and Iglesias will be fine. Idk about Votto, I love the guy but he did not look good last year. Was it back troubles or is it something more? He dribbled weakly to 2B over and over and rarely drove the ball, love the walks but he needs to hit .310 with 20+ bombs to make this team extremely good. I also hate Scott Schebler, everyone should know that. I think we win the second wildcard and finish a game behind the cubs.
I think Castillo can be a great player but are you for real with a top 5 CY Young?? You’re saying he’s a bumgarner, kershaw, deGromm caliber player??he brings heat and cut but he’s far away from a cy young contender

Nick Senzel can't catch a damn break. This most recent injury ought to be enough reason for the Reds to keep him down for the entire season. Jose Iglesias is a poor man's version of a Zack Cozart which isn't saying a lot. Dietrich should be nothing more than a reserve utility man but unfortunate circumstances are going to press those 2 into more playing time than they need. Peraza needs to stay put and not mess with him at SS. Hoping to see him build onto his breakout season last year. We have a real prize at 3B with Suarez. Who knows, should the Reds be in contention this season he could find himself higher than last place among the NL MVP candidates receiving votes.

Our pitching staff is built on a prayer. Hoping for a recovered Sonny Gray with Derek Johnson, his Vanderbilt pitching coach and less use of the slider he blames NYY for insisting he uses. Do we get the 2017 Alex Wood, the version with an ERA around 4.00 or somewhere in between? DeSclafani is a ticking time bomb until his next injury. Not a matter of if, but when.

Joey Votto is going to be 36 in September. I only wish the Reds had remained serious about winning instead of all but 3 years of Joey's career has been spent on losing seasons. Last year was an injury plagued year and showed some regression for the first time. He had early season slumps that prolonged awhile before last year but would always managed to find himself by the 2nd half. Ryan Madson's dirty HBP didn't do Votto much favors last season.

Don't know why I let the Reds hoodwink me into thinking they were front runners for the game's most coveted catcher at one point before Realmuto went to the Phillies. I see this team hovering around 5 games of the .500 mark best case scenario. It resembles a lot of the tempered excitement that came from the 2006 season (Castellini/Krisvky's 1st year) in which some were excited to see them still in contention that September only to finish below .500.

Last edited:
I’ve been a Reds fan since I was 8, and baseball was my first love. I know the Reds have made some changes, but haven’t followed it closely. I’m a Rockies fan to, yea it’s confusing, sort of like loving two women at the same time, and they should have another shot at dethroning the Dodgers in the NL West. I’m not optimistic about the Reds, just hope for improvement. That should be doable given last years results.

Nick Senzel can't catch a damn break. This most recent injury ought to be enough reason for the Reds to keep him down for the entire season. Jose Iglesias is a poor man's version of a Zack Cozart which isn't saying a lot. Dietrich should be nothing more than a reserve utility man but unfortunate circumstances are going to press those 2 into more playing time than they need.

Our pitching staff is built on a prayer. Hoping for a recovered Sonny Gray with Derek Johnson, his Vanderbilt pitching coach and less use of the slider he blames NYY for insisting he uses. Do we get the 2017 Alex Wood, the version with an ERA around 4.00 or somewhere in between? DeSclafani is a ticking time bomb until his next injury. Not a matter of if, but when.

Don't know why I let the Reds hoodwink me into thinking they were front runners for the game's most coveted catcher at one point before Realmuto went to the Phillies. I see this team hovering around 5 games of the .500 mark best case scenario. It resembles a lot of the false excitement that came from the 2006 season (Castellini/Krisvky's 1st year) in which some were excited to see them still in contention that September only to finish below .500.
Tucker Barnhart is a steal for what we pay him. He’s one of the most consistent catchers in the league. Reds need that money for pitching more than they do another catcher

Reactions: CB3UK and CGblue
Tucker Barnhart is a steal for what we pay him. He’s one of the most consistent catchers in the league. Reds need that money for pitching more than they do another catcher

Yeah well the Reds did not spend that money on a pitcher. With all the smoke and mirrors we were fed in the offseason about Dallas Keuchel, he's still out there. We have two pitchers with question marks, Gray and Wood. The Reds answer was to extend a reclamation project and Wood can still walk at season's end. Roark is a solid 4th starter on a top tier rotation. Besides Luis Castillo at his peak potential, not sure there is much separation among the rest of our starters. Tucker may be a top defensive catcher, that's it. Quite the opposite offensively. Our pitchers overall have not been significantly improving with him as the signal caller either. If there's an opportunity to improve the team, you do it and don't pass it up. Time after time, the Reds do and we have these nonstop fire sales.

Last edited:
Not a good feeling.
  1. Best hitter injured, Gennett
  2. Best starting pitcher injured, Wood
  3. Best prospect injured, Senzel
  4. Rookie manager

I bought the season package for MLB.TV yesterday. Keep up with all the other games for fantasy and because Id much rsther watch baseball than whatever garbage is on TV.

I feel good about the Reds. I say 85-90 wins. Weve got the bats. Defense should be solid. Weve upgraded the pitching, just how much remains to be seen.

Recall last year we had a MASH unit out there to start the season during that horrendous start. If we had our actual full roster then, we probably win 75-80 games instead of 69.

Nick Senzel can't catch a damn break. This most recent injury ought to be enough reason for the Reds to keep him down for the entire season. Jose Iglesias is a poor man's version of a Zack Cozart which isn't saying a lot. Dietrich should be nothing more than a reserve utility man but unfortunate circumstances are going to press those 2 into more playing time than they need. Peraza needs to stay put and not mess with him at SS. Hoping to see him build onto his breakout season last year. We have a real prize at 3B with Suarez. Who knows, should the Reds be in contention this season he could find himself higher than last place among the NL MVP candidates receiving votes.

Joey Votto is going to be 36 in September. I only wish the Reds had remained serious about winning instead of all but 3 years of Joey's career has been spent on losing seasons. Last year was an injury plagued year and showed some regression for the first time. He had early season slumps that prolonged awhile before last year but would always managed to find himself by the 2nd half. Ryan Madson's dirty HBP didn't do Votto much favors last season.

Don't know why I let the Reds hoodwink me into thinking they were front runners for the game's most coveted catcher at one point before Realmuto went to the Phillies. I see this team hovering around 5 games of the .500 mark best case scenario. It resembles a lot of the tempered excitement that came from the 2006 season (Castellini/Krisvky's 1st year) in which some were excited to see them still in contention that September only to finish below .500.
The way we've pissed away Joey Votto's career is downright criminal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT