ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cable cutter update

St.PatterSoN-54-

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Since the season is nearly over, I wanted to give an update from the perspective of a cable cutter.

I can honestly say that I haven't missed it nearly as badly as I thought I would.

First, let me preface with my previous total internet/tv cost ($200/mo) vs my current setup and cost:

a) Time Warner (now spectrum) cable internet: 50MB download, $50/mo (yes, this is still cable, so I'm not fully cut, but this necessary evil represents a DRAMATIC reduction in total cost).
b) Sling TV + Sports Package. ($25/mo). This has been great. I get most of the channels I enjoyed from my previous cable package at a fraction of the cost. The main drawback here is the lack of DVR recording, but I've seen recently that they've added a 'cloud based' DVR option, so I may check that out. I run this off a ROKU (Device came free with the sling service at the time). ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, SECTV, TNT, TBS, History, HGTV, plus many others. Plenty for what I need.
c) Leaf Antenna (one time cost of $80). This has been great. I split the signal near my main floor TV and sent 1/2 of the signal into the existing house coax network (simple as plugging it in). As a result, we have 'live' HD channels on 3 TVs in the house. ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc are crystal clear. Very nice.
d) Amazon Firestick, jailbroken to include KODI. (One time fee of $100 from a friend). This was completely optional. Some call it illegal, but that's a slippery slope that I won't navigate in this post. Despite needing some occasional light maintenance (reprogramming but simple), this device allows us to find ANY movie or TV show that was ever aired, for free. Amazing.

So basically after the initial investments (ROKU/Firestick/Leaf Antenna), I am paying about $75/mo for great internet and TV, and I am completely happy with my viewing content. I have watched EVERY SINGLE UK game this season, and I was able to watch most every NFL game I wanted to watch.

Overall, once you get past the feeling of missing 'live TV' for all channels (remember the antenna still gives you live TV for the basics), I think this has been a great solution, and one that I recommend to any other interested parties.

Happy to share more info as desired.

Since the season is nearly over, I wanted to give an update from the perspective of a cable cutter.

I can honestly say that I haven't missed it nearly as badly as I thought I would.

First, let me preface with my previous total internet/tv cost ($200/mo) vs my current setup and cost:

a) Time Warner (now spectrum) cable internet: 50MB download, $50/mo (yes, this is still cable, so I'm not fully cut, but this necessary evil represents a DRAMATIC reduction in total cost).
b) Sling TV + Sports Package. ($25/mo). This has been great. I get most of the channels I enjoyed from my previous cable package at a fraction of the cost. The main drawback here is the lack of DVR recording, but I've seen recently that they've added a 'cloud based' DVR option, so I may check that out. I run this off a ROKU (Device came free with the sling service at the time). ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, SECTV, TNT, TBS, History, HGTV, plus many others. Plenty for what I need.
c) Leaf Antenna (one time cost of $80). This has been great. I split the signal near my main floor TV and sent 1/2 of the signal into the existing house coax network (simple as plugging it in). As a result, we have 'live' HD channels on 3 TVs in the house. ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc are crystal clear. Very nice.
d) Amazon Firestick, jailbroken to include KODI. (One time fee of $100 from a friend). This was completely optional. Some call it illegal, but that's a slippery slope that I won't navigate in this post. Despite needing some occasional light maintenance (reprogramming but simple), this device allows us to find ANY movie or TV show that was ever aired, for free. Amazing.

So basically after the initial investments (ROKU/Firestick/Leaf Antenna), I am paying about $75/mo for great internet and TV, and I am completely happy with my viewing content. I have watched EVERY SINGLE UK game this season, and I was able to watch most every NFL game I wanted to watch.

Overall, once you get past the feeling of missing 'live TV' for all channels (remember the antenna still gives you live TV for the basics), I think this has been a great solution, and one that I recommend to any other interested parties.

Happy to share more info as desired.
Just bought my first house and I was looking into cable options. I was thinking Sling TV, but I thought if you wanted all of the sports channels it was 40 dollars? Do ESPN and ESPN 2 and everything come with the 25 dollar package?

For those paying for internet: dooooo nottttt continue to use the modem/router they provide you. They charge you $10 a month and $4.95 for "wifi access," which is a completely made up charge.

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html this will tell you the models you can buy. Get a modem and a router, or a combo device.

I got my modem off ebay for $11 and a router from ebay from $12. I've practically already recouped the investment.

Ive been using slingtv on my xbox one, roku, and android devices for a little over a year. Quite happy with it even though ESPN tends to freeze and requires me to relaunch the stream from time to time.

I also just did a free trial of Playstation Vue (another streaming competitor) on my PS4, computer and roku and found it to be an overall much better package and interface. Even includes a cloud DVR. It is I believe 5 to 10 dollars more a month. I'm not sure on pricing since I just did the demo.

At any rate there are plenty of solutions out there.

Reactions: uky8unc5
This is really interesting, Not. Can we start a thread like this everyday and call it Talk About Dumb@ss Stuff Nobody Give's a Poop About. I really don't give a rats @ss about this guys cable bill or how much he has not missed having cable or Spectrum, etc. Next thing you know we will have threads talking about How to Poop Properly, How to Ask Your Cousin Out on a Date, Afterbirth, How to Wipe Your Butt Properly, Marrying Your Cousin can result in having Babies that Look Funny, How to Pick Your Nose and Not be Noticed, etc. Well? I will hang up and listen to your answer.

This is really interesting, Not. Can we start a thread like this everyday and call it Talk About Dumb@ss Stuff Nobody Give's a Poop About. I really don't give a rats @ss about this guys cable bill or how much he has not missed having cable or Spectrum, etc. Next thing you know we will have threads talking about How to Poop Properly, How to Ask Your Cousin Out on a Date, Afterbirth, How to Wipe Your Butt Properly, Marrying Your Cousin can result in having Babies that Look Funny, How to Pick Your Nose and Not be Noticed, etc. Well? I will hang up and listen to your answer.

Don't worry man, we'll be off your lawn soon.

I could never give up DirecTV. I bought the second half of the NBA season ticket for just 100 bucks and last nights Pelicans game was worth that $ 100 by itself. The NFL Sunday ticket is also a must-have for me.

Lt9a-e.gif

For it not to be interesting you took the time to read the post, AND respond. Other option was to just click right over to a different post more suitable to your likings. I think the OP's main point was that he hasn't missed a U.K. Game yet while switching His television options (correct me if I'm wrong OP)

Calm down buddy........I have four or five routers and modems that I have bought trying to fix problems. I was hoping the discussion would help me. I agree this should be over on the general discussion area.........but it is here......so......relax.

I love Cable and have zero interest in cutting the cord.

But shut up. I read this thread and found it 100% interesting and educational. Sheesh...what's it like to live in your little world?

Living the life huh? The OP is a friend of mine and has been around for a long time. You have tried most situations in your post and I see you live in the Queen City. In your case if you don't like something move On. You what to be an A** read your post. Thank goodness for the ignore button witch is my next move on the board.

Just bought my first house and I was looking into cable options. I was thinking Sling TV, but I thought if you wanted all of the sports channels it was 40 dollars? Do ESPN and ESPN 2 and everything come with the 25 dollar package?
Hmmm, maybe the pricing has changed, but I believe it's still 20$ for the basic orange package, including ESPN and ESPN2, plus another 5 bones for the sports package (includes SECTV).

Ive been using slingtv on my xbox one, roku, and android devices for a little over a year. Quite happy with it even though ESPN tends to freeze and requires me to relaunch the stream from time to time.

I also just did a free trial of Playstation Vue (another streaming competitor) on my PS4, computer and roku and found it to be an overall much better package and interface. Even includes a cloud DVR. It is I believe 5 to 10 dollars more a month. I'm not sure on pricing since I just did the demo.

At any rate there are plenty of solutions out there.
Interesting info, thanks. FYI my ESPN used to freeze before I upgraded by internet package FWIW (25MB vs 50MB).

I had my cable turned off when I got back from the final four in 2015. Haven't missed it at all! This year I download the CBS live app for the early round march madness games, You get one week free and it's 6 bucks a month afterwards totally worth it for the best month in sports!

Feel free to go start another thread about Wenyen coming back, or Ball's dad. When I was considering cutting the cord, I had several fine people on here giving me advice. I'm just paying it forward.

LIGHTEN UP, FRANCIS! [pfftt]

You put in a lot of effort to complain about the subject of OP's post. Are you wound too tight?

I also use sling tv. I bought a new 4K tv with a roku built in so I used the free roku that came with sling for another tv in the house. I don't miss cable one bit as most of the channels I watched I get with sling.

I haven't missed a game yet and I don't have the sports package. Most of our games are on ESPN or CBS. The few that aren't, I just stream on my iPad and mirror to the tv. Completely worth it for $20 a month.

The other great thing is using sling on iPads and such. I travel often and get plenty of use from it on the road.

No telling how many thousands of dollars I have saved by cutting the cord.

The other great thing is using sling on iPads and such. I travel often and get plenty of use from it on the road.
Great point! I've travelled a bunch on business this year as well, and found myself watching SECTV games on my ipad when stuck in a hotel a couple times.

OP, I'm right there with you. Cut the cord after the UL game. I use Amazon FireTV with Kodi as well, indoor antennae for just the main tv ($20), and then I did Playstation Vue instead of Sling due to DVR capabilities and streaming on multiple tv/devices at the same time ($45/mo). Still have internet and will always have it, but locked in at $57/mo. So was paying $110 for Directtv and the $57 for internet. Cut the tv cost in half and haven't missed it a bit. I was actually worried about March Madness, but no issues there either CBS on the antennae and the other channels on PVue. I'm interested in how you split the antennae for all the tv's though.

OP, I'm right there with you. Cut the cord after the UL game. I use Amazon FireTV with Kodi as well, indoor antennae for just the main tv ($20), and then I did Playstation Vue instead of Sling due to DVR capabilities and streaming on multiple tv/devices at the same time ($45/mo). Still have internet and will always have it, but locked in at $57/mo. So was paying $110 for Directtv and the $57 for internet. Cut the tv cost in half and haven't missed it a bit. I was actually worried about March Madness, but no issues there either CBS on the antennae and the other channels on PVue. I'm interested in how you split the antennae for all the tv's though.

I also use firestick with kodi. Was using Slingtv because Directv Now had a lot of issues at launch. Just switched back to Directv Now as it has a better interface and they fixed the bugs. Also I get 100 channels for $30 compared to like 50 channels for $45 with Sling. FYI, the Sling cloud based DVR won't like you record sports. So it was a waste for me.

I could never give up DirecTV. I bought the second half of the NBA season ticket for just 100 bucks and last nights Pelicans game was worth that $ 100 by itself. The NFL Sunday ticket is also a must-have for me.

Duck firecttv. Overpriced junk that's dying a slow death. If it weren't for the merge they would have died already.

But most older people don't need to change. Tried it with my dad and it went south in a hurry.

Younger, smarter, better looking people = cord cutters

Older, stubborn to a fault, uglier people just stick to direct TV.

That moron is just a troll.
Notice how he included every possible Kentucky stereotype, slur, put-down possible?
Sad. He must be living in a lot of pain.
I bet he's mad because his mom made him clean his room...

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
OP, I'm interested in how you split the antennae for all the tv's though.
It was an interesting experiment for me. I actually had purchased an indoor antenna for each TV (3x), but it occurred to me that I could possibly just feed the antenna signal into the existing coax network and draw each TV off that 'network'. Basically I hung the antenna in a good spot (as verified on one TV), then connected the output of the antenna into a 2 way splitter (2 bucks, walmart). One end went into the nearby TV, and one end connected to the wall (i.e. the port where the cable used to come out of the wall to the TV). At that point, I connected two other TVs to their normal coax wall outlets (same as if they were connected to cable) and they worked fine also. Quite a nice solution! Returned the other two antennas to Best Buy.

One thing to note, feasibility may depend on the signal strength you are getting. The leaf antenna has a built in amplifier, which is what was actually plugged into the splitter. Good luck!

I cut the cord a few months ago also and love it for the most part. My Sling is a little buggy at times, wants to cut out every now and then. Have a great internet connection and a Roku box so I'm pretty sure it's the Sling. Never have a problem running anything else on the Roku or anything on my Firestick. Can't you believe you paid $100 to jailbreak your Firestick, there are tons of videos on the internet on how to do it in about 10 minutes.

Good for you. I cut the cord (or disconnected the dish in my case) 7 years ago, and have never looked back. I only paid $20 for my "doctored" Firestick though. I to have problems with Sling at times, it just quits and I find myself at the home menu. There are always glitches in the early years, but make no mistake streaming is the future of TV. Oh, and btw I'll be 60 here in a few weeks and I'm a cord cutter. Of course my career was as a software engineer.

Cut the cord probably 5-6 years ago. Why pay that kind of money on channels you never watch, lousy TV shows, and constant commercials. Have never missed it. Have several 'smart blu-rays' and 3 Rokus for my HD TVs, plus large outdoor antennae for local stations. Haven't missed a game.

Duck firecttv. Overpriced junk that's dying a slow death. If it weren't for the merge they would have died already.

But most older people don't need to change. Tried it with my dad and it went south in a hurry.

Younger, smarter, better looking people = cord cutters

Older, stubborn to a fault, uglier people just stick to direct TV.

I'm in my 30's, fit, athetic and tan with a girlfriend you'd slobber yourself over and I LOVE DirecTV. Have a great day.

Maybe it seems ridiculous but one of the biggest things I didn't like from my short experience with streaming TV was the lack of convenience in switching channels. It drove me crazy having to exit the game to a menu and then switch to another game, have it load...repeat.

Maybe it seems ridiculous but one of the biggest things I didn't like from my short experience with streaming TV was the lack of convenience in switching channels. It drove me crazy having to exit the game to a menu and then switch to another game, have it load...repeat.

Most, not all but most cord cutters are short on money and looking for ways to cut costs. They can package why they are cutting the cord any way they want, but that's the reason why most of the time. Nothing wrong with that, but also no reason to tell people they are old, fat and stupid for having DirecTV like the guy did to me. LOL..strange. I'm guessing he's a cost cutter/cord cutter.

Seriously, folks...don't pay for a "jailbroken" fire stick. Kodi is just an app. If you can install the Downloader app (in the app store for free), you can install Kodi in about 3 minutes on your own onto any Amazon Fire Stick. There's nothing fancy or techie about it. it's just an app.

Not that I advocate doing that or anything...:D

But people charging for a "jailbroken" Fire Stick are scamming you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT