ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Arizona Coach Miller

Nov 3, 2013
I see that Rawle Alkins added Arizona to his list. Why doesn't he get questioned for not winning the big games with all that talent he gets? It seems like every year they get beat in the sweet 16 or the elite 8.

Thank you to Arizona for the opportunity to play for an outstanding program but I've decided to reopen my recruitment

He does get questioned. Don't know where you've been. No offense.

Jason, your right, cal keeps his kids, heck the only one that comes close is Xavier Henry committed to Memphis under cal, but did not follow him to Kentucky, like Cousin did

Reactions: Federal Cat
I see that Rawle Alkins added Arizona to his list. Why doesn't he get questioned for not winning the big games with all that talent he gets? It seems like every year they get beat in the sweet 16 or the elite 8.
Zona just offered Alkins. First thing I thought is they think they might not get Fultz. We shall see.

Jason, your right, cal keeps his kids, heck the only one that comes close is Xavier Henry committed to Memphis under cal, but did not follow him to Kentucky, like Cousin did

I don't believe Cousins had officially committed to Memphis. They were clearly his leader right before Cal left.

I may be mistaking, but I believe Cousins at one point was committed to UAB. He later decommitted from UAB and committed to Memphis. And as you know, ended up following Cal to UK.

I may be mistaking, but I believe Cousins at one point was committed to UAB. He later decommitted from UAB and committed to Memphis. And as you know, ended up following Cal to UK.

Found this from an article Jim Tirey wrote for CatsIllustrated:

"The five-star forward from Mobile (Ala.) LeFlore High School had committed to Memphis back in March, but has now re-opened the recruiting process with John Calipari taking the Kentucky job. Many in the Cousins camp believe that he will follow the coach to Kentucky".

Looks like you are write.

That is correct. He committed to UAB as a junior in high school. As for Sean Miller, I think he has 5 first round draft picks in his 6 years at Zona. Decent talent, but not over the top talent.

I'd love to have that so-so coach as the next guy at UK. He's gonna break through in a big way pretty soon here.

Averaging 30 wins in the last 5 seasons, with three elite eights and a sweet 16, and most of his tourney losses have been to HOF coaches with really strong rosters.

I don't think there's currently anybody else comparable as a prospect except maybe Marshall or Stevens, but the former is known as a difficult guy (bad for the UK job), and the latter is not going to flop out of the NBA.

His brother Archie has looked really good at Dayton. I was surprised Florida didn't go after him. As far as Sean, I think his teams are hurt by playing on the west coast. The competition out there is pretty weak, so I don't think his teams are as battle tested as others come March.

That is correct. He committed to UAB as a junior in high school. As for Sean Miller, I think he has 5 first round draft picks in his 6 years at Zona. Decent talent, but not over the top talent.
Cousins picked UAB over UK and Billy Clyde.

John Wall was the player that was a Memphis lean (although not yet a commit) that followed Calipari to UK. Sometimes the media messes that up and calls Wall (and even Bledsoe) a Memphis commit.

As for the Morris Twins, my understanding was that Calipari stopped recruiting them when they went to prep school. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

The closest I can think of Calipari losing a recruit would have to be some of the infamous silent-verbal cases. Shabazz Muhammed, Malik Newman, or Jaylen Brown. I don't think those really count. Most kids look at UK as a golden ticket to the NBA. So I don't think we will see too many decommits unless it is because we are signing someone even better.

He's had some tough losses to some really good teams in the later stages of the tournament. No embarrassing losses though.

Kind of off topic, kind of not, listening to KSR the other day they were talking about who would be a good coach after coach cal. Sean Miller's name came up and it was quickly dismissed by multiple people and callers that he would be a good choice but would never come. My question is why would he never come to UK?

Kind of off topic, kind of not, listening to KSR the other day they were talking about who would be a good coach after coach cal. Sean Miller's name came up and it was quickly dismissed by multiple people and callers that he would be a good choice but would never come. My question is why would he never come to UK?
Not everyone is cut out for the microscope that this job puts you under. Miller has a good spot at Arizona. He pretty much has the top pick of the best west coast players, and plenty of other sports teams to distract fans if his team falls short.

I think it also probably goes back to the days when CM Newton thought he had Lute Olsen on board to take over for Sutton only for Lute to turn around and use the offer as leverage for a pay raise.

the Morris twins actually committed to Memphis in 2006, de-committed, re-committed, and then de-committed for good, choosing Kansas.
I was wondering though (and I really can't remember) was Calipari recruiting them hard or was he lukewarm.

My memory of the Morris Twins is that they were more mid-level, project type players. At one point they were trying to get Tubby to offer them. My memory is that they were doing more of the recruiting than the coaches were.

lost 5 star PF TJ Leaf tonight. Also lost Tyler Dorsey previously.

That led me to thinking... has Cal ever lost a commitment while at UK? I can't recall one. Don't think it's happened. I know he lost the Morris twins to Kansas while at Memphis. Dude's really really good at holding onto his commitments.

I think you are correct Jason, not have decommited after they gave a verbal committment, that's pretty impressive

Nolan Dennis also. But I'm not counting those. Cal chose Jon Hood over Nolan Dennis because he didn't wanna deal with the politics of running away a KY kid.

Still say if that team had Henry or Meeks they win the title.

We were missing Meeks that year for sure, couldn't hit a 3 for nothing

We were missing Meeks that year for sure, couldn't hit a 3 for nothing

The crazy thing is Patrick Patterson has actually turned out to be a better NBA three point shooter than Meeks and Henry. I can understand wanting to let your bigs do what they do best on the college level, but Cal might want to let some of our bigs give it a go from deep if they have the ability. I saw a WCS NBA workout video clip where he drained like 10 threes in a row. I was totally shocked because I don't recall seeing Willie take more than a couple of jump shots in games at UK.

No Cal was all over the twins to the end. You gotta remember this was before Cal started really attracting top talent on the level like he did his last couple years at UM and now Ky.

I remember him getting on a plane going west to try to convince the twins to come to UM. It was all about a forward named Garcia if I remember. The twins were not happy Cal brought him in.

But at the time down here it was a big deal and Cal fought to the end. Garcia ended up being a flop. So Cal did mess that one up.

Cousins was all about Davis and UAB. I think something happen with Davis so cuz decommited. Cuz verballed to UM but never committed leaving his options open.

Henry had a Claus in his commitment if Cal left he could get out. Wall and Bledsoe were still on the fence with UM Miami and Bama.

Funny how if you talk to UM fans they say we took their committed class. When in fact the only committed player who left went to Kansas. The other Dodson lasted a year at UK and we all know the rest of the story.

I remember when Cal was getting only 1 really good recruit at a time. The Wagnors and Darius Washington's mixed in with 3 star nothings.

It was not until he landed Rose and went on that run that his recruiting became known. It was really never what he had at UM , it was what was coming. The class he had set to come in after Rose was crazy.

But once he got to UK it went to another world. That's were UM fans gets lost. No matter how great that one class was going to be, Cal would of never been able to recruit at the level he has here had he stayed in Memphis.

Look at his final 4 team at UM. Some really good players and 1 great.

I have always said the one thing UK has done for Cal is help his legacy. Cal recruits kids now legit. At UM the man did what he did and took chances on kids that he just doesn't have to do here. And now his legacy year by year gets more legit. Had he stayed at UM he would be in Browns shoes right now or back in the pros.

Why doesn't he get questioned for not winning the big games with all that talent he gets?

He does. Why do you think McConnell was bitterly weeping for his coach last year after they lost to Wisconsin, repeatedly apologizing that they couldn't get him to a Final Four.

Miller even addressed the criticism for his lack of a Final Four in the postgame presser. He's very aware of the criticism.

2014 and last year are the first time I remember Arizona having the talent to actually do something. Both times they lost to the Wisconsin team that beat us last year.

ADVERTISEMENT