ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Academy Awards/Oscars

point1zero

Sophomore
Apr 9, 2009
Anyone planning to watch? Us film fans have a good thread going over on the Paddock Forum called Greatest Films. Come join us!

I’ve only seen 3 of the 8 nominees so far - Nomadland, Mank and The Trial of the Chicago Seven. I definitely like Nomadland best overall. Gary Oldman is very good in Mank about the writing of the screenplay for Citizen Kane.

I hope the acceptance speeches are tolerable. Main reason I’ve avoided Oscar night lately. Still a fan of great movies though!

Here’s the link to the Greatest Films discussion on the Paddock forum:

Don't care because they never nominate the best movies. I'm an animation fan and they should get the recognition they deserve. Just because it's animated doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by adults.
They finally added a category a few years ago to recognize the contributions of animated films. Some have even been nominated for best picture. I can think of several including Up and Hugo off the top of my head.

I used to like the Oscars because for many years a lot of the winners for the main categories were deserving or not ridiculously wrong, but I haven't watched them in several years because movies in general are awful, the politics and agendas involved, and more nominees and winners are not worthy than ever before. Moonlight in 2016 was the last deserving Best Picture. Sone terrible movies have won in recent years: The Artist, Spotlight, Green Book, The Shape of Water and Parasite are not good movies.

I used to like the Oscars because for many years a lot of the winners for the main categories were deserving or not ridiculously wrong, but I haven't watched them in several years because movies in general are awful, the politics and agendas involved, and more nominees and winners are not worthy than ever before. Moonlight in 2016 was the last deserving Best Picture. Sone terrible movies have won in recent years: The Artist, Spotlight, Green Book, The Shape of Water and Parasite are not good movies.

To each their own as I Personally really enjoyed Parasite. Dug the dark comedy and found the characters pretty engaging.
The others I haven't watched as they don't really catch my interest/come off as typical Oscar-bait.

Seems like it would be a particularly uninspiring list of nominees this year given the state of the world the last year, theater shutdowns killing a lot of the buzz a movie may have had.

Remember back in like 2015 of 2016 where there weren’t any black actors or major black movies nominated (because literally no one was thinking about race) and then a bunch of people complained so the following year every black movie and actor was nominated 😂

Read an article that to even be up for eligibility the cast has to be like 30 of 40% minority now 😂

Wouldn’t watch an award show of any kind if you paid me. And it has nothing to do with likely political statements during acceptance speeches. I just find it to be extremely boring TV. I’ll read about winners the morning after.
im sorry...did you say something? I had to leave for a moment after seeing your avatar

how did "the shape of water" make it? completely beyond be, one of the worst movies Ive ever seen

I THOUGHT I had seen none of the nominated movies. Actually, channel surfing and desperate for something to watch a while back my wife and I landed on "Promising Young Woman." I'm not going to say it was a total piece of crap. It was more like a lightweight bumped-up-with-curse-words made for TV movie. Watched it, would have rated it C-plus and instantly forgot about it. Then I hear it is nominated for "Best Picture" among other categories, and favored for "best original screenplay."

Honestly, I've seen lots of straight-to-Video fare as well written. The only possible explanation for it being considered a well-crafted movie is its overtly political, "Me Too" all men are predators and violent a-holes message.

Reactions: UK till Death
Anyone planning to watch? Us film fans have a good thread going over on the Paddock Forum called Greatest Films. Come join us!

I’ve only seen 3 of the 8 nominees so far - Nomadland, Mank and The Trial of the Chicago Seven. I definitely like Nomadland best overall. Gary Oldman is very good in Mank about the writing of the screenplay for Citizen Kane.

I hope the acceptance speeches are tolerable. Main reason I’ve avoided Oscar night lately. Still a fan of great movies though!
I would rather eat a dog crap burger than watch that stupid crap

Here’s the link to the Greatest Films discussion on the Paddock forum:

Yea, I will check it out.......not

Reactions: warrior-cat
To each their own as I Personally really enjoyed Parasite. Dug the dark comedy and found the characters pretty engaging.
The others I haven't watched as they don't really catch my interest/come off as typical Oscar-bait.

Seems like it would be a particularly uninspiring list of nominees this year given the state of the world the last year, theater shutdowns killing a lot of the buzz a movie may have had.
I agree. Parasite is really good.

Nomadland is a lock for best picture. Any movie that can make Frances McDormand floating in a creek look doable is worthy of an Oscar.

Respectfully disagree on parasite. Really liked that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT