ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon, Washington to Big Ten apparently a done deal.

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007

I think the SEC needs to make a defensive move and lock down Florida State and Clemson before the Big Ten pulls them in. The Pac-12 and the ACC are headed for mid-major status. Better get the good stuff before it is too late -- and football is revenue king. Forget the UNC, Duke arguments.

I think the SEC needs to make a defensive move and lock down Florida State and Clemson before the Big Ten pulls them in. The Pac-12 and the ACC are headed for mid-major status. Better get the good stuff before it is too late -- and football is revenue king. Forget the UNC, Duke arguments.
I think UNC would be a good addition they have a Football program on par with ours historically. Another team would could get a win against too.

But regardless who the SEC chooses to target, the PAC-12 is dead and if they remain it will be filled with the Gonzaga’s and basketball schools.

But regardless who the SEC chooses to target, the PAC-12 is dead and if they remain it will be filled with the Gonzaga’s and basketball schools.
Yup.

Maybe the PAC-12 or whatever hangs on, but it’s not going to be anywhere near the same.

Even if they somehow keep OSU, Stanford, Cal, and Wazzu together, they will basically have to get some Mountain West or WCC teams to join.

it’s basically a mid-major now that all the big dogs have left.

They might keep the same name, but it’s not going to be the PAC-12 ever again.

I think if the SEC were to add more teams, it would make sense to expand to 20. I like the thought of adding Fla St and Clemson. I think they need to grab NC St and VATech as well.

One thing seems nearly certain. Once the dust settles in a couple years we’re going to have the SEC, the Big 10 (20?), and a bunch of small, meaningless conferences that few people care about.

Reactions: Fox2monk and 270Cat
I'm curious about Clemson's high ranking. They've had a strong football program in recent years under their current coach, but what other notable achievements do they have to justify their reputation?

I think if the SEC were to add more teams, it would make sense to expand to 20. I like the thought of adding Fla St and Clemson. I think they need to grab NC St and VATech as well.

One thing seems nearly certain. Once the dust settles in a couple years we’re going to have the SEC, the Big 10 (20?), and a bunch of small, meaningless conferences that few people care about.
A football conference with:
Bama
Georgia
LSU
Clemson
FSU
Florida
Texas
Oklahoma

Ridiculous. The SEC should refuse to play in any national championship playoff, and just allow the conference champ to call themselves national champs too.

I've read reports that ESPN might push the Big 12 to take on Wash. State and Oregon State because they don't like that FOX will have a lock on those West Coast markets.

Bama
Georgia
LSU
Clemson
FSU
Florida
Texas
Oklahoma

Ridiculous. The SEC should refuse to play in any national championship playoff, and just allow the conference champ to call themselves national champs too.

I hope not. This is how college sports die. I'd be shocked if in ten years the NCAA tournament still exists. There will be one tournament for however many "super conferences" there are and then one for everyone else. This sucks.

I hope not. This is how college sports die. I'd be shocked if in ten years the NCAA tournament still exists. There will be one tournament for however many "super conferences" there are and then one for everyone else. This sucks.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the SEC breaks away from the NCAA to do their own thing.

Then the Big Ten follows suit.

Leaving the ACC and Big 12 programs to battle it out for the NCAA football title.

The basketball world won’t really miss the SEC programs other UK.

They’ll still have KU, UNC, Duke, Nova, UConn to carry the tourney.

The only people who will really care are right here on this message board.

BBN is probably the only fan base in the SEC that will be upset to no longer be in the NCAA.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

PAC 12 is dead. The remaining teams need to merge with the Mountain West and get some duct tape on their football.

Yup.

Maybe the PAC-12 or whatever hangs on, but it’s not going to be anywhere near the same.

Even if they somehow keep OSU, Stanford, Cal, and Wazzu together, they will basically have to get some Mountain West or WCC teams to join.

it’s basically a mid-major now that all the big dogs have left.

They might keep the same name, but it’s not going to be the PAC-12 ever again.
Exactly, I think if it stays together that it will be a collection of the best Basketball schools that are left out. It will be the West’s version of the Big East.

Greed is ruining college sports...
May as well have totally new conference names honestly. The regional names make no sense anymore. The SEC is somewhat mostly Southern schools at least but eventually they will get some higher up East Coast and far West Coast schools. The Big 10 is basically running from coast to coast now. Only the South is all they really miss.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if the SEC breaks away from the NCAA to do their own thing.

Leaving the ACC and Big 12 programs to battle it out for the NCAA football title.

BBN is probably the only fan base in the SEC that will be upset to no longer be in the NCAA.
If that happened too much money would flow away and the Conferences would then host their own version of March Madness.

Bama
Georgia
LSU
Clemson
FSU
Florida
Texas
Oklahoma

They wouldn’t have to deny it, they would get 3-4 spots most likely. At least half of every tournament and every huge bowl game would be full of SEC teams just like now. It’s gonna go to 16 teams eventually anyway.

Anybody else remember that the Big Ten, ACC, and Pac 12 responded to Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC by forming "The Alliance"? They talked so much trash about the SEC while acting righteous and smug in forming the ridiculously named "Alliance". Turns out, this was just another example of Big Ten hypocrisy. The Big Ten acted friendly towards the Pac 12 just so they could destroy it for financial benefit. Wonder how Stanford and Cal feel today about their freindly "Alliance" with the Big Ten?

There is a reason P5 conference's have not broke away...

About $600 million reasons why....Yeah the NCAA is shit---I do not disagree---but they're the staw the stirs the drink. The millions they give to schools each year basically pays for ALL NON-REVENUE sports, i.e. Tennis, BASEBALL, Track, Rifle teams, volleyball, softball, WBB, bowling, archery, etc, etc....That $$$ pays for teams uniforms, travel, scholarships, tournament venues, officials, INSURANCE..

Also....
Other resources include marketing and branding opportunities, event management services, sports technology support, legal assistance, insurance coverage for athletes and coaches, as well as more..

All of this because of the millions the NCAA returns to the schools.

I dont care how big a P5 conference gets, no chance they could afford all of this. Not a chance.

As for the NCAAT----Huge cash cow for the NCAA, and well, all membership schools. March Madness is THE straw, that stirs THE drink. A P5 only "NCAAT" wouldn't come close to generating the $$ that the NCAAT does. Not even close. Plus, who's gonna pay for the venues? The officials? Travel? Food? You do realize the NCAA covers a very, very large portion of all this?

And shit I haven't even gotten to the insurance part of things for NON-revenue sports, athletes, and coaches...

Like I said, there is a reason this has not happened----And about $600 million reasons as to why it never will.

If that happened too much money would flow away and the Conferences would then host their own version of March Madness.
And it would be a financial disaster...

People tune in by the bazillions to see the next big upset.....UMBC over UVA, FDU over Purdue, and well.....sorry, but St. Peter's over UK. Its what makes the NCAAT, "MArch Madness..."

Not a bunch of P5 schools beating up on each other.

I will never understand this love affair that some people has for Oregon & Washington. I've been a college basketball fan since 1969. In these 54 years the universities of Oregon & Washington has won a grand total of ZERO national championships in men's basketball. I've been a college football fan since 1971. In these 52 years the universities of Oregon & Washington has won a grand total of ZERO national championships in football. In your 2 major sports ZERO national championships in over a half century. Then throw in the fact that Oregon is a small populated state, less people than Kentucky. I mean what's the attraction here? As a UK/SEC fan if the SEC Oregon & Washington into the conference I would say why, they bring nothing to the table.

There is a reason P5 conference's have not broke away...

About $600 million reasons why....Yeah the NCAA is shit---I do not disagree---but they're the staw the stirs the drink. The millions they give to schools each year basically pays for ALL NON-REVENUE sports, i.e. Tennis, BASEBALL, Track, Rifle teams, volleyball, softball, WBB, bowling, archery, etc, etc....That $$$ pays for teams uniforms, travel, scholarships, tournament venues, officials, INSURANCE..

Also....
Other resources include marketing and branding opportunities, event management services, sports technology support, legal assistance, insurance coverage for athletes and coaches, as well as more..

All of this because of the millions the NCAA returns to the schools.

I dont care how big a P5 conference gets, no chance they could afford all of this. Not a chance.

As for the NCAAT----Huge cash cow for the NCAA, and well, all membership schools. March Madness is THE straw, that stirs THE drink. A P5 only "NCAAT" wouldn't come close to generating the $$ that the NCAAT does. Not even close. Plus, who's gonna pay for the venues? The officials? Travel? Food? You do realize the NCAA covers a very, very large portion of all this?

And shit I haven't even gotten to the insurance part of things for NON-revenue sports, athletes, and coaches...

Like I said, there is a reason this has not happened----And about $600 million reasons as to why it never will.
Good points.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I will never understand this love affair that some people has for Oregon & Washington. I've been a college basketball fan since 1969. In these 54 years the universities of Oregon & Washington has won a grand total of ZERO national championships in men's basketball. I've been a college football fan since 1971. In these 52 years the universities of Oregon & Washington has won a grand total of ZERO national championships in football. In your 2 major sports ZERO national championships in over a half century. Then throw in the fact that Oregon is a small populated state, less people than Kentucky. I mean what's the attraction here? As a UK/SEC fan if the SEC Oregon & Washington into the conference I would say why, they bring nothing to the table.
To be fair, Washington split 1991 National title with Miami(Fla).

I do agree. The "lure" is football prpoganda---getting that West coast market. B10 already has USC and UCLA coming----those were the "big gets"---Washington/Oregon is just adding on.

Why would these teams join the Big Ten to only receive lesser money than the other schools? They are basically saying we know we suck compared to the other league members and willing to ride at the back of the bus. I don’t understand

Because if you stay in a dying conference, when it dies you have nowhere to go, and you’re screwed. Better to get in with stability even for the reduced payout.

The pac-12 actually died when it couldn’t secure a tv contract close to the other conferences. Rather than be left behind, USC and UCLA bolted and it’s just been bleeding heavily since.

To be fair, Washington split 1991 National title with Miami(Fla).

I do agree. The "lure" is football prpoganda---getting that West coast market. B10 already has USC and UCLA coming----those were the "big gets"---Washington/Oregon is just adding on.
Seattle and Portland markets are pretty good markets to get into.

Plus, that’s two teams that UCLA and USC don’t have to fly across the country to play.

Washington did win a title in 1991 in football. It's just as valid as Miamis title that season.

And not every school can win a national title n football or basketball. Doesn't mean they don't bring any value.

I hope the SEC never adds a school outside of the south in. I mean Missouri sure, but the southern half of that state is basically Arkansas. Just hope we never go out and add say a Cal, Utah, etc. Conference pride is about regional pride as much as conference. When we get hyped about the SEC beating Ohio state. We aren't happy because we beat Ohio state. We are happy because the south beat the midwest. That's basically what conference pride boils down too. Regional pride.

And it would be a financial disaster...

People tune in by the bazillions to see the next big upset.....UMBC over UVA, FDU over Purdue, and well.....sorry, but St. Peter's over UK. Its what makes the NCAAT, "MArch Madness..."

Not a bunch of P5 schools beating up on each other.
Yes they do and it sucks when it happens but that’s why it’s great.

Basically every championship team will come out of 3 conferences. The SEC will rack up Football titles and it will be that much harder for a school like TCU to get into the party.

Seattle and Portland markets are pretty good markets to get into.

Plus, that’s two teams that UCLA and USC don’t have to fly across the country to play.
Scheduling basketball will be a nightmare. My guess is, UCLA, Washington, Oregon nor USC will travel during the week, and all games vs those teams, will be Fri/Sat games. Or so I hope. Would be ridiculous for UCLA to travel to Bloomington on a Tuesday night for any type of tip time.

Football an easy schedule.

Baseball as well, really. Most series are Thur-Sat.

Scheduling basketball will be a nightmare. My guess is, UCLA, Washington, Oregon nor USC will travel during the week, and all games vs those teams, will be Fri/Sat games. Or so I hope. Would be ridiculous for UCLA to travel to Bloomington on a Tuesday night for any type of tip time.

Yes. Maybe somehow splitting into divisions might help.

Maybe two 9 team divisions in basketball and only play in your division (16 games) keeps the mileage down a little. Then merge the two divisions for the basketball tourney.

Might be something for them to consider.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Anybody else remember that the Big Ten, ACC, and Pac 12 responded to Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC by forming "The Alliance"? They talked so much trash about the SEC while acting righteous and smug in forming the ridiculously named "Alliance". Turns out, this was just another example of Big Ten hypocrisy. The Big Ten acted friendly towards the Pac 12 just so they could destroy it for financial benefit. Wonder how Stanford and Cal feel today about their freindly "Alliance" with the Big Ten?
Big business there are no friends and the smaller schools and academic ones in any conference would be better off trying to get something for themselves.

Probably do divisional games with only 1 game a year against the other side that alternates home/away and like you said on the weekend.

I’m thinking they will go the PAC12 philosophy in scheduling for basketball. They always had travel partners and played primarily Thursday/Friday-Sunday games. So, UCLA and USC have always been travel partners. If they were playing Arizona and Arizona State, UCLA would play Arizona on either Thursday or Friday ahd Arizona State on Sunday. USC would then play Arizona State on either Thursday or Friday and Arizona on Sunday.

I have to imagine wheh a current Big 10 team travels to USC, they will stay out there and play UCLA 2 days later. Same with Oregon and Washington.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT