ADVERTISEMENT

Onyenso

wkycatfan

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2002
Even though he might not be a fit for Pope's offense, I hope he stays. I felt his shot blocking and rebounding were valuable. I'm not really expecting it but remain hopeful.

If his heart is here with BBN then I welcome him with open arms. If it is elsewhere then I wish him the best of luck and thank him for his time here.
b7c9b365590d4f0a0e50d4b1d36e0147

I like him. Last spring before his injury, I said I thought he would play over Bradshaw and be an 8pt, 7reb, 3blk guy for us. But his passing is also bad. So he doesn't fit into this offense at all. Now defensively that's different, assuming he can pick up new defenses quickly. But we'd probably be better off with the Drexel kid, or Z, or Aidou, or a number of guys. If he wants to return, I wouldn't say "no". Just that there's a good chance his PT may go down, and would want him to know that upfront.

Only if he's happy coming off the bench for spot mins again. I think he's gone
Onyenso started as many games as he came off the bench, even more so as the season went on. We needed him to block shots, since nobody could stop penetration.

As a body on the bench sure... but he's going to be a Junior.

He needs start and it isn't going to be at UK.

Wish the young man well but he's one player that I had no doubt that would leave.

I like him. Last spring before his injury, I said I thought he would play over Bradshaw and be an 8pt, 7reb, 3blk guy for us. But his passing is also bad. So he doesn't fit into this offense at all. Now defensively that's different, assuming he can pick up new defenses quickly. But we'd probably be better off with the Drexel kid, or Z, or Aidou, or a number of guys. If he wants to return, I wouldn't say "no". Just that there's a good chance his PT may go down, and would want him to know that upfront.
I’d like him to return for a tall body but he couldn’t average 8 a game at morehead. That’s saying he gets 12 as often as he gets 4 .. I’m not seeing it . He has literally zero offensive moves .

I'll trust coach. If his game plan requires 5 guys capable of dropping 3s on the court at all times, let the big man ride.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I’d like him to return for a tall body but he couldn’t average 8 a game at morehead. That’s saying he gets 12 as often as he gets 4 .. I’m not seeing it . He has literally zero offensive moves .
8 isn't that hard to do. A lob-dunk, a rebound put-back, 2 out of 4 FTs, and just one 12' jumper (he has nice form/touch on his jumper, was surprised how bad FT shooter he was this year)

Ugo is a special guy. He works hard and he is hungry. I know he watched Oscar succeed . His blocking shot and rebounding , would work well for us under Pope system.

I feel that he and Zvonimir could held well the 5 next year as they would compliment each other.

Both are on visa so UK would need to work NIL for them overseas, like they did for Oscar.

Also, both need to get stronger. I feel that their friendship could work well for both of them to push each other in practice if Coach Pope wants them.

At BYU Pope played two bigs interchangeably, one more for the inside game and one for the 3 pts shooting/ passing…so we could easily keep both Big Z and Ugo

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I'm sure we will see him in the portal soon. Just hope he does not follow Cal to ArK.

The same folks going on and on about recruiting ranks are now switching their focus to trying to keep as many of Cal's players around as possible. I'm glad the disease is gone.

Hey if they stay they stay if they go then go we have a new system I am more excited about our new system then to keep rehashing our old system let it go

Reactions: jace2012
People keep saying "Pope's offense"

Guys...he's not one dimensional. He can draw up things that works with what he has

The same folks going on and on about recruiting ranks are now switching their focus to trying to keep as many of Cal's players around as possible. I'm glad the disease is gone.
It's not Cal's players I had a problem with, it's the whole One and Done philosophy. I hope our guys succeed after they leave UK, but let's trying to hang some banners while we are here.

Reactions: NociHTTP
It's not Cal's players I had a problem with, it's the whole One and Done philosophy. I hope our guys succeed after they leave UK, but let's trying to hang some banners while we are here.
LOL. Cal's players WERE the OAD philosophy. How in the world did you get to the point that you couldn't conflate the two? Cal was the weeds, they are the ticks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT