ADVERTISEMENT

One Recruit/Transfer you wish we didn’t miss on

All-time? Dirk Nowitzki

Guy that chose another college? Hmm, Ray Allen as a dream recruit. In-state? Chris Lofton. Would've gladly taken him over Ramel Bradley.

IIRC we didn’t take him over Bradley. We took Brandon Stockton over Lofton. Not gonna go back and look but I remember it that way.

Missing on Lofton sealed Tubby’s fate unlike any other. I’ll never understand some of these coaches and their obsession with seeing a lights out shooter as something to pass on. Just makes absolutely no sense.

Calipari was the worst at this. Guy would pass on Ray Allen for a bouncing pogo stick. Pope seems to get it.

IIRC we didn’t take him over Bradley. We took Brandon Stockton over Lofton. Not gonna go back and look but I remember it that way.

Missing on Lofton sealed Tubby’s fate unlike any other. I’ll never understand some of these coaches and their obsession with seeing a lights out shooter as something to pass on. Just makes absolutely no sense.

Calipari was the worst.
Nah Stockton was already there. He graduated high school in 2002 and was on the 03 team who got beat by Marquette.

Lofton would've been in the recruiting class that had Morris, Rondo, Crawford, and Bradley for the 04/05 season.

Nah Stockton was already there. He graduated high school in 2002 and was on the 03 team who got beat by Marquette.

Lofton would've been in the recruiting class that had Morris, Rondo, Crawford, and Bradley for the 04/05 season.

Okay I guess what I’m remembering is that Tubby offered Stockton as Mr. KBB but then passed on Lofton soon after. Unreal screw up.
Stockton - yes please
Lofton - no thanks

Reactions: chroix
Okay I guess what I’m remembering is that Tubby offered Stockton as Mr. KBB but then passed on Lofton soon after. Unreal screw up.
Stockton - yes please
Lofton - no thanks
To be fair, the three previous Mr. KBBs were Ross Neltner, Brandon Stockton, and Josh Carrier. Tubby was probably tired of getting burned on Mr. KBBs. Ramel Bradley was a top 100 player out of New York who played at IMG Academy. That's a much better resume.

To be fair, the three previous Mr. KBBs were Ross Neltner, Brandon Stockton, and Josh Carrier. Tubby was probably tired of getting burned on Mr. KBBs. Ramel Bradley was a top 100 player out of New York who played at IMG Academy. That's a much better resume.

That’s why I would consider each class and player different as to not make bad decisions based on trends that really don’t exist. I get it but at the same time as a coach you want to evaluate based on each player individually. Lofton was obviously known before his college days. Plus you have to think if tennesse is willing to offer them obviously he’s a good talent / your conference rival wants him to suit up. If he’s from your state and high profile teams want him you better be more careful, others are evaluating a player in your backyard as important. Just like with Allen Houston, no way you pass that up when programs like Tennessee, Arkansas, Indiana are willing to offer. IIRC Houston was courted by all 3. I just think if you’ve got room and they want to commit you take them and let the chips fall.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
The biggest recent one is either Zion or Anthony Edwards.

I'm going with Zion though since Cal thought he had that in the bag. And I think that was the true down turn for the Cal Era. I think had we landed Zion we were still the cool school and probably get a second title with Cal. There's footage somewhere when Cal found out and you can see the shock in his face. That was the beginning of the end. Duke paid for Zion....we all know it. And while now that's nothing, at the time that was still pretty crappy.

The biggest recent one is either Zion or Anthony Edwards.

I'm going with Zion though since Cal thought he had that in the bag. And I think that was the true down turn for the Cal Era. I think had we landed Zion we were still the cool school and probably get a second title with Cal. There's footage somewhere when Cal found out and you can see the shock in his face. That was the beginning of the end. Duke paid for Zion....we all know it. And while now that's nothing, at the time that was still pretty crappy.
I think UK was just a "hat on the table" for Zion.

Man PP for his senior year would have been great. But he was already a Cat so we didn't "miss" on him. Same with Meeks.
Sampson
McGrady
Jaylon Brown
James Wiseman

One I haven’t seen mentioned was Jayson Tatum. Think he makes 2017 not only champion, but possibly undefeated champion. Rob UNC of a title in the process.
Probably gives us the extra firepower to be immune to getting screwed. But we were damn good enough to win that title with what we had. The fix was in that year and you'll NEVER convince me otherwise (that bastard won Ref of the Year that year too, even after universally agreed upon bad called games against us and against Arkansas).

Greg Starrick. Had he not transferred he would have really possibly got us past Casey’s broken leg and got us to that national championship in 1970.

VJ Edgecombe
Kyrie Irving
Brandan Wright
Zion Williamson
Tyler Zeller
Jai Lucas

I'd actually throw Deandre Jordan on the list..... Gillispie refused to recruit him, but history might've been different if he attempted to poach TAMU recruits / players.

VJ Edgecombe
Kyrie Irving
Brandan Wright
Zion Williamson
Tyler Zeller
Jai Lucas

I'd actually throw Deandre Jordan on the list..... Gillispie refused to recruit him, but history might've been different if he attempted to poach TAMU recruits / players.
Wait my memory must be going to sht. I could have swore Gillispie recruited him to TAMU

Edit now I remember. Back in the ole no poaching days.

Not sure how people say we missed on Shawn Kemp. We signed him and he was a punk that stole his teammates stuff. We didn't "miss" on him, he was just like Charles Shackleford, too big of a punk to play college basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT