ADVERTISEMENT

One Possession Showing Our Defensive Improvement vs. Miss State

I might start making more of these if people like them? No idea, but I am a former coach and also a bit of a UK MBB nerd, so I like this stuff.

Super impressive defensive possession against Miss State!

That was amazing. Thanks for posting. We could have broken down several times but didn't. Imagine if we peek defensively come March.......

Last edited:
We have certainly improved. Early SEC play is almost always a punch in the mouth, and this year was kind of a tough early slate of teams on top of that.

We will figure out the defense. I'm kind of happy Welch had Cal focus on offense first.

There might be glimpses of improved defending, but this game overall was hardly a testament to it. State managed to snag 35% of their misses and shot over 50% from inside the arc. It was our second worse in terms of opponent points per possession. The only game that we allowed more points per possession was in the previous game.

I might start making more of these if people like them? No idea, but I am a former coach and also a bit of a UK MBB nerd, so I like this stuff.

Really impressive man. Great job. Where did you coach? Seriously, good work.

Separately....are you saying Cal and this staff actually coach (tongue firmly in cheek).

Bro this is the single most enjoyable thing I’ve ever seen posted on this forum. That was perfection. The D leading to the O. A thing of beauty and very astutely analyzed.

Really impressive man. Great job. Where did you coach? Seriously, good work.

Separately....are you saying Cal and this staff actually coach (tongue firmly in cheek).
I don't think they actually coached. This is clearly one of Cal's paid shills who made an elaborate video trying to convince us that Cal can actually coach. We all know he can't.

Excellent post and YES I’d like to see more like this. Picking your brain for a minute…do you think the defense has improved the past week or so? Or was this just a great heads-up-solid-effort by the guys on the floor? I’m no way a coach and thoroughly enjoy the analytics from a person that can break a play down in a way that even I can follow/understand.

Reactions: jrpross

I really wish I could give this two heart eyes face emojis. Excellent job! What great play by everyone on that play. If we get more plays like this on the defensive end, it's only going to make us that much harder to beat. I remember seeing Reeves do that live and thinking it was a bit unusual at the time as I don't recall him doing that before.

Super impressive defensive possesession against Miss State!
Great post, video, and analysis. I noticed too that we were not leaving our feet better in this game, a simple fundamental that makes it much more difficult for your opponent to score. Just simply staying between your man and the basket and not jumping out of position can pay big dividends. I do like the improvements seen in our first shot defense, but have to be better rebounding that miss. I enjoy picking through these too, and this clip was an ideal example of what man-to-man defense really is and has to be: well coordinated team defense. Yes, that was great movement by two freshmen, Rob and Reed on their close-outs. Going through this like you did shows the novice really how complex team defense can be.

A couple more things...Reeves did a great job there in that he recognized who the biggest threat was at the time but also knew he was in an area that required protecting the basket. I've seen us not guard the basket in recent years, leaving it exposed and with the opponent able to attack the rim almost at will. I do think against A&M we gave up way to many layups and dunks, also a thing that must be improved. I like our chances for a deep and successful run if we get healthy, stay healthy, and keep improving defensively. There are also still things we can do offensively to get even better on that end...like finishing strong at the basket. We definitely need a much more explosive Justin Edwards.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
There might be glimpses of improved defending, but this game overall was hardly a testament to it. State managed to snag 35% of their misses and shot over 50% from inside the arc. It was our second worse in terms of opponent points per possession. The only game that we allowed more points per possession was in the previous game.
The downside to rim protection is that the big going to shot block leaves the other team’s big hanging around the rim without a block out. The other players have to rotate down to the rim area and try to get the block out and rebound. That is the part that we aren’t quite getting right enough yet. Once we improve in that area, the defensive efficiency and offensive rebounds allowed will improve. Hopefully, we continue to improve in this area.

Excellent post and YES I’d like to see more like this. Picking your brain for a minute…do you think the defense has improved the past week or so? Or was this just a great heads-up-solid-effort by the guys on the floor? I’m no way a coach and thoroughly enjoy the analytics from a person that can break a play down in a way that even I can follow/understand.
Cal said in the postgame that he's been working on beating the PnR defense with the guys. So this seems to be a direct, immediate improvement.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Great breakdown and that was nice. It does show that we are improving. Just have to rebound more, we do generate enough misses, but we give up too many second and third chances sometimes. I like this.

UK’s defensive numbers are gonna be skewed a little no matter what, they basically were just giving Smith layups at the end of the game. The first half defense was excellent!

Haha thanks everybody! I enjoy these, I miss coaching so analyzing stuff from a distance gives me my fix still.

I think the defense improved big time against Miss State- Mitchell and Ugo on the ballscreen coverage alone was lightyears better than what it was against A&M. So let's see! Can't say we've turned a corner yet after just 1 game, but it's encouraging to say they least. String together 2, 3, 4 games in a row with that defensive effort, you suddenly head into the Tennessee game feeling pretty good about your foundation on that end of the floor!

If Kentucky fixes the rebounding and second chance point issue, the defense will be fine. If they can get rid of those 10-15 point teams get off second chance points that will help

Agreed- still way too many offensive rebounds, I could've made a 10-15 minute tape on all of the missed opportunities on the defensive glass (guys standing and watching, not recognizing that typically long shots mean long rebounds, etc.)

Maybe the next video.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23

Thanks. I appreciate basketball strategy posts; more enjoyable for me that watching people sling poop at each other, though that can also be fun sometimes.

Great post, and on a sidenote, having been here for a really really long time, it's GREAT to see someone post a positively framed discussion.

When that play happened, I think I did the same thing as the other poster that shouted out. Great all around defense, and the offensive transition was beautifully done.

Wonderful to see how these young men are progressing this year.

Well beyond their years !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT