ADVERTISEMENT

One positive I saw

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
One positive thing overlooked from last night's game.

I thought Deandre Buford played a very solid game at RT. He was physical and held up solid for most of game on the edge rush. I still contend 4 of those sacks were solely on Sheron for his stupid back pedal after being in shotgun......you can't do that to the tackles. You have to stay within 5 yards of LOS and stay/step up in pocket.

I watched Buford in spring game and i thought he was solid. Then August hits and Wohlbaugh has the job. But after watching Wohlbaugh get abused in opener and then looked like slow footed molasses in the Ole Miss strip sack to end the game....I wonder what in the hell Yenser saw to keep Buford out? He's not amazing...but he's a ton quicker feet and stronger than Wohlbaugh.

I'd love to see Buford get some rotation snaps in relief of Flax and Horsey to get back to how teh Oline used to stay fresh.

I thought Deandre Buford played a very solid game at RT. He was physical and held up solid for most of game on the edge rush. I still contend 4 of those sacks were solely on Sheron for his stupid back pedal after being in shotgun......you can't do that to the tackles. You have to stay within 5 yards of LOS and stay/step up in pocket.

I watched Buford in spring game and i thought he was solid. Then August hits and Wohlbaugh has the job. But after watching Wohlbaugh get abused in opener and then looked like slow footed molasses in the Ole Miss strip sack to end the game....I wonder what in the hell Yenser saw to keep Buford out? He's not amazing...but he's a ton quicker feet and stronger than Wohlbaugh.

I'd love to see Buford get some rotation snaps in relief of Flax and Horsey to get back to how teh Oline used to stay fresh.
Buford is probably utterly confused like the rest of the OL with whateverinthehell blocking scheme we're doing. I'm sure that's why Goodwin hasn't sniffed the field. Skank and his sidekick are teaching trigonometry techniques on something that was perfectly fine before they got here. Now they are the worst OL in P5.

Solid post, actually.

Buford is probably utterly confused like the rest of the OL with whateverinthehell blocking scheme we're doing. I'm sure that's why Goodwin hasn't sniffed the field. Skank and his sidekick are teaching trigonometry techniques on something that was perfectly fine before they got here. Now they are the worst OL in P5.
Scang and Yenser's offense reminds me of another " build back better" project.

Just put it back like you found it and we will be way better off than we are now.

P.S. This IS NOT a political post, so please don't make it one. Sometimes the best thing you can do in taking over for someone successful is just try to maintain their work.

Liam Coen was light years ahead of this guy.

Just put it back like you found it and we will be way better off than we are now.

P.S. This IS NOT a political post, so please don't make it one. Sometimes the best thing you can do in taking over for someone successful is just try to maintain their work.
Makes a very political post

“- GuYs ThIs IsNt PoLiTiCaL”

I actually thought the run blocking vs USC was improved compared to previous games. Pass protection still needs work, but agree with K-TIME and others than Sheron had the deer in the headlights mentality for much of the game. Some of the sacks in prior games are on Levis for playing hero ball instead of throwing it away.

I thought ol blocked pretty decent considering we were running into a stacked box.

The presnap stuff was very disappointing especially considering they had to know we couldn't afford any presnap penalties. It absolutely killed us.

I actually thought the run blocking vs USC was improved compared to previous games. Pass protection still needs work, but agree with K-TIME and others than Sheron had the deer in the headlights mentality for much of the game. Some of the sacks in prior games are on Levis for playing hero ball instead of throwing it away.
Well USC has the 101st ranked rushing defense so it’s hard to tell . Which makes our total of 25 actually rushes even more infuriating.

I thought ol blocked pretty decent considering we were running into a stacked box.

The presnap stuff was very disappointing especially considering they had to know we couldn't afford any presnap penalties. It absolutely killed us.
And it was just about all Manning. I don't want to pile on a guy so early in his stent...but Yenser looks like a total bust of a hire. His unit is single handily killing a very good year.

- D is playing strong
- QB is finally a guy to play thru instead of around
- WR threesome are top notch
- Solid TE talent
- And of course CRod to put cherry on top

But this Oline has us scoring way less points than last year and it's all OLine related. Now they are a group with penalties (which is nothing but discipline and attention). Goodwin is nowhere to be found....it would be different if we were good OLine but we're not and the highest rated OLine we've ever had can't see the field.

Yenser is the one who decided to move Cox and Horsey to new spots and they were good guards and now they are not good at their new spots while the guards replacing them aren't doing very well....especially Burton.

I really don't see how Yenser sticks after this nightmare.

Reactions: entropy13
And it was just about all Manning. I don't want to pile on a guy so early in his stent...but Yenser looks like a total bust of a hire. His unit is single handily killing a very good year.

- D is playing strong
- QB is finally a guy to play thru instead of around
- WR threesome are top notch
- Solid TE talent
- And of course CRod to put cherry on top

But this Oline has us scoring way less points than last year and it's all OLine related. Now they are a group with penalties (which is nothing but discipline and attention). Goodwin is nowhere to be found....it would be different if we were good OLine but we're not and the highest rated OLine we've ever had can't see the field.

Yenser is the one who decided to move Cox and Horsey to new spots and they were good guards and now they are not good at their new spots while the guards replacing them aren't doing very well....especially Burton.

I really don't see how Yenser sticks after this nightmare.

Yep two false starts in a row.

As it goes on, I'm not sure yenser stays either. I think he's a good coach with a bright future, but you can tell in everything he says that he's absolutely married to wide zone. I think we're once again finding out what we found out last year - wide zone just isn't the answer. Our inside zone and pin/pull game is just soooo much better.

So like last year I think we're really close to stoops putting his foot down and us going back to inside zone. I think that will end up with yenser leaving. If he's that married to wide zone, I won't be sad to see him go. It just isn't working and we tried it twice under two different good ocs

Reactions: The-Hack

Liam Coen was light years ahead of this guy.
I suggest we storm the Kentucky Football headquarters and beat the damn windows out and demand change.

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack
Well USC has the 101st ranked rushing defense so it’s hard to tell . Which makes our total of 25 actually rushes even more infuriating.
Well the last 2 game the rush game has come back....they have no control over how good or bad the D they play are. If you take out QB sacks (which is dumb to compute them in rushing stats)

Ole Miss 28 rushes for 134 yards for 4.7 yards per carry
USC 25 rushes for 154 yards for 6.1 yards per carry

CRod back has fixed the rushing game. I don't see any reason for that not to continue as the season plays out. We are controlling the ball on LOS and doing it rather efficiently with a rihgt at 5 yards per carry the last 2 games.

Reactions: westerncat
Yep two false starts in a row.

As it goes on, I'm not sure yenser stays either. I think he's a good coach with a bright future, but you can tell in everything he says that he's absolutely married to wide zone. I think we're once again finding out what we found out last year - wide zone just isn't the answer. Our inside zone and pin/pull game is just soooo much better.

So like last year I think we're really close to stoops putting his foot down and us going back to inside zone. I think that will end up with yenser leaving. If he's that married to wide zone, I won't be sad to see him go. It just isn't working and we tried it twice under two different good ocs
Gran could straighten out the run blocking in one week's practice.

Time for Stoops to pull the pin on that and get the run game fixed.

Re the change in blocking scheme, remember what Drake Jackson said about the scheme last year? "It's like learning to wipe your ass with your other hand."

Gran could straighten out the run blocking in one week's practice.

Time for Stoops to pull the pin on that and get the run game fixed.

Wouldn't even take that. We block extremely well on inside zone and pin and pull plays. Especially the latter. So the ability is there. We just need to modify to eliminate wide zone or the blocking concept that comes with it.
Re the change in blocking scheme, remember what Drake Jackson said about the scheme last year? "It's like learning to wipe your ass with your other hand."

He was being reporter friendly giving some insight while being quote worthy. I'm not sure this translate though to casual fans.

Let's talk the difference. Wide zone isn't a fire off the ball, create a new los approach. It's a more lateral approach but also in this system the OL doesn't fire off the ball like normal. That's why it's so valuable in play action, because lbrs and secondary can't read run/pass because the initial action is the same where the OL really isn't firing off the ball in the traditional way at least imo

Inside zone and pin/pull gap scheme is the opposite. OL fire off the ball and drive block. Very physical and much different imo.

That's why I don't think yenser stays. If you watch their interviews they're saying two totally different things to the trained ear. Yenser keeps saying he's seen the scheme work and knows it works and it's a mentality of running it over and over until they get it. Yet stoops keeps talking about wanting to be physical which is saying something different if you know what you're listening to. So I think there is a definite friction there at least in terms of how we're approaching it.

The solution is to let the OL fire off the ball and be physical. That's what they're made to do and who they want to be. The aiming point really doesn't matter if we just get back to the physical nasty style that's a trademark of stoops football

Wouldn't even take that. We block extremely well on inside zone and pin and pull plays. Especially the latter. So the ability is there. We just need to modify to eliminate wide zone or the blocking concept that comes with it.

He was being reporter friendly giving some insight while being quote worthy. I'm not sure this translate though to casual fans.

Let's talk the difference. Wide zone isn't a fire off the ball, create a new los approach. It's a more lateral approach but also in this system the OL doesn't fire off the ball like normal. That's why it's so valuable in play action, because lbrs and secondary can't read run/pass because the initial action is the same where the OL really isn't firing off the ball in the traditional way at least imo

Inside zone and pin/pull gap scheme is the opposite. OL fire off the ball and drive block. Very physical and much different imo.

That's why I don't think yenser stays. If you watch their interviews they're saying two totally different things to the trained ear. Yenser keeps saying he's seen the scheme work and knows it works and it's a mentality of running it over and over until they get it. Yet stoops keeps talking about wanting to be physical which is saying something different if you know what you're listening to. So I think there is a definite friction there at least in terms of how we're approaching it.

The solution is to let the OL fire off the ball and be physical. That's what they're made to do and who they want to be. The aiming point really doesn't matter if we just get back to the physical nasty style that's a trademark of stoops football
Then Stoops/Yenser need to have a closed-door "come to Jesus meeting."

I'm not sophisticated enough to grasp the differences in the schemes but Sat night the SECN talking heads said UK seemed to "Drift back and forth with the blocking schemes instead of sticking with one or the other." FWIW.

My biggest issue with all of this is if it's too complicated for college kids to learn then scrap it. We have wasted this season and a golden opportunity while we try to reinvent the wheel, when there was nothing wrong with the old wheel. all we needed was a competent passing game to compliment our power run game. We have lost our identity and look worse than the 2012 OL.

Then Stoops/Yenser need to have a closed-door "come to Jesus meeting."

I'm not sophisticated enough to grasp the differences in the schemes but Sat night the SECN talking heads said UK seemed to "Drift back and forth with the blocking schemes instead of sticking with one or the other." FWIW.

I think that happened last year following the miss st debacle where we completely laid an offensive egg. I'm curious if this year it will be the SC game that causes the change.

Last year after we changed back, we looked great from there on. It showed the modified scheme can absolutely work. I get why the wide zone concept is so effective for play action but we just leave way too much on the table by using it.

My biggest issue with all of this is if it's too complicated for college kids to learn then scrap it. We have wasted this season and a golden opportunity while we try to reinvent the wheel, when there was nothing wrong with the old wheel. all we needed was a competent passing game to compliment our power run game. We have lost our identity and look worse than the 2012 OL.
I think this is the crux of the decision....can you effectively teach wide zone to college vs. NFL players? I find it interesting Coen scrapped it last year as we were not built for it and now this year it is even worse.

Is there another team in college that runs wide zone concepts and doing it effectively.

Is there another team in college that runs wide zone concepts and doing it effectively.

Can't think of any. At least none that block it like we do. I'd say it's analogous to an option scheme in that it's such a different approach.

It absolutely works in the NFL we see that for sure. After seeing it not work here, I think it's because in the NFL the talent gap is minute and every schematic advantage is needed to gain yards. By blocking this way and keeping lbrs from getting good reads, you create plays in the passing game that otherwise are much tougher to make. In a league where teams fight for every inch, that's huge.

In college that talent gap is wider (nowadays often times in our favor) and we are limited in practice time. Time to do what we do and be who we are. If yenser can't embrace that then be can move on. It's understandable if he can't because from day 1 he's talked about how it's a mindset to run it over and over. Plus if he wants to get back to the NFL, and I'm sure he does, this is the scheme everyone uses

Reactions: Padsfs07
I believe he got beat on a speed rush, besides that he played very well. Imo he will only get better! Why he hasn't been in the rotation from day one is beyond me. Also they finally ran more gap schemes and it finally allowed these guys to play to there strength!!

Reactions: K_TIME
I believe he got beat on a speed rush, besides that he played very well. Imo he will only get better! Why he hasn't been in the rotation from day one is beyond me. Also they finally ran more gap schemes and it finally allowed these guys to play to there strength!!
Yeah. I’m still pissed T Yenser for playing Wohlbaugh over him. If we’d have subbed him for Flax at Ole Miss game no way he gives up that pressure so easy to cause the fumbles

Great call for real. He played very well last night.

They have to be close to the worst. At the very least.
Yes, that would be a bit awkward. But at the least you would hope no one would be watching.

How many yards would CRod gain this year with some of the OLs we have had? In a full season, of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT