ADVERTISEMENT

One example of Cal not accepting blame

BIG BLUE GURU

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2007
Not just a player issue, Calipari believes he could’ve done a better job, too. For instance, late in the first half, he sat Oscar Tshiebwe with a one-point lead, only for Kansas State to immediately go on a 4-0 run in 55 seconds to end the half up three.

Does Calipari regret his handling of the situation? Did he consider a timeout there instead?

“Yes, I did, and I should have, and I told them at halftime I should have,” he replied. “But we came out the second half and got up, so it didn’t hurt us. But, yes, that — to get them back in. I didn’t want Oscar to get a second foul. That’s why I took him out. Then they were shooting. Yeah, I told them I should have called a timeout right then. They come down. We throw it away, and they make that shot. But, again, we got up. We had our chances.”

4 point swing in the game that shouldn’t have happened to give them momentum but hey it didn’t hurt us. The man is so full of bullshit

Check this one out. Man doesn’t care about wins and losses. He thinks his mission is bigger than winning games.

Q. John, you have talked a few times this week about how every job is tough, and they come with their own things that make them difficult. But, obviously, one of the things that makes your job tougher than some is the expectations that surround Kentucky. As you mentioned, the number of things that probably went your way to still lose, is there a sense of — or do you empathize with the sense of frustration that I’m sure some Kentucky fans feel right now about kind of where things are?

JOHN CALIPARI: I have empathy. I understand what this program is about. I think, again, that’s what makes it what it is, and that’s why I tell players, this isn’t for everybody because the expectations are so high.

The same with coaching. It’s not for everybody. This thing is — there’s a high expectation level, and it is Kentucky. You put that on. The other team is going to play out of their minds, and they’re going to play like they have nothing to lose.

That means you’ve got to play that way. So, yeah, I understand it, but, you know, my concern are these kids, and I tried to keep what you are saying off of them. Obviously, with a couple maybe I didn’t do as good a job as I thought I did. I wanted them to just play, have fun, enjoy the experience. You know, make the plays you make, take what they give you.

And therein lies the problem: if you are not about winning championships - SEC and NC - then you don’t have the same rigorous approach at game preparation, in game adjustments and motivating these players in a way that promotes an atmosphere of excellence. UK continues to slide closer to a middle of the pack relevance - despite the historical context of a winning prominence.

I appreciate all that Calipari has accomplished while coaching here but do not believe he is the right coach for the future. I know he will be here one more year, but truly hope if he underachieves next year he elects to leave.

Reactions: BIG BLUE GURU
I was talking about his comment about understanding the negativity around the state of the program but his focus was protecting these kids. Takes no blame or responsibility but deflects to these kids. Bull *ucking crap

He Coaches scared KSt coach left Johnson in with 2 fouls
Fouls are like timeouts use them up it a game if this importance

Check this one out. Man doesn’t care about wins and losses. He thinks his mission is bigger than winning games.

Q. John, you have talked a few times this week about how every job is tough, and they come with their own things that make them difficult. But, obviously, one of the things that makes your job tougher than some is the expectations that surround Kentucky. As you mentioned, the number of things that probably went your way to still lose, is there a sense of — or do you empathize with the sense of frustration that I’m sure some Kentucky fans feel right now about kind of where things are?

JOHN CALIPARI: I have empathy. I understand what this program is about. I think, again, that’s what makes it what it is, and that’s why I tell players, this isn’t for everybody because the expectations are so high.

The same with coaching. It’s not for everybody. This thing is — there’s a high expectation level, and it is Kentucky. You put that on. The other team is going to play out of their minds, and they’re going to play like they have nothing to lose.

That means you’ve got to play that way. So, yeah, I understand it, but, you know, my concern are these kids, and I tried to keep what you are saying off of them. Obviously, with a couple maybe I didn’t do as good a job as I thought I did. I wanted them to just play, have fun, enjoy the experience. You know, make the plays you make, take what they give you.
Oh no. He does care about wins and losses but right now he has losses so he will talk about something else to deflect from the losses. Oh, he cares but Cal is a salesman and he will also deflect or make it sound like his goal is the greater good. You can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. There's coaches speak and then there is Cal speak.

Reactions: Jumpercat
He and his every team is going to play out of their mind BS. K state was 0-12 from 3 the first half and led by 3 damn points. The only out of their minds is cal. He is a straight dumbass!!! I honestly don’t think I can take another year with him. I might just sit next year out if his clueless ass is still here. Just bad basketball with maybe a handful of games per year that end up being fun to watch but most are like a trip to get a root canal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT