ADVERTISEMENT

On a 1 thru 5 Star scale. Rate each UK coach from Rupp to Calipari. For their entire coaching career

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Mine would be
Rupp - 5 Star Hall of Fame
Hall - 4.5 Star Coached for only 16 years Regis & UK combined. Had he coached an additional 7 or 8 years at UK. He would probably have 2 or 3 more Final Fours on his coaching resume. And would more than likely be in the Hall of Fame.
Sutton - 4 Star Over 800 career wins & 3 Final Fours & I believe he might be 1 of only 3 coaches along with Pitino & Calipari to take 3 different school to the Elite 8. Like him or not he belongs in the Hall of Fame.
Pitino - 5 Star Hall of Fame
Tubby - 3 Star A great guy, a mediocre coach
Gillispie - 1 Star Still can't believe UK hired this guy
Calipari - 5 Star Hall of Fame

Reactions: jrm693 and d2atTech
UK head coaching career, total career:

Coach Rupp: 5, 5
Coach Hall: 3, 4
Coach Sutton: 1, 3
Coach Pitino: 4, 2
Coach Smith: 3, 3
Coach Gillispie: 1, 1
Coach Cal: 5, 5

Last edited:
Reactions: notelvis
UK head coaching career, total career:

Coach Rupp: 5, 5
Coach Hall: 3, 4
Coach Sutton: 1, 3
Coach Pitino: 4, 2
Coach Smith: 3, 3
Coach Gillispie: 1, 1
Coach Cal: 5, 5

I agrre with you straight down the line but I'd be inclined to consider a 4 overall career for Tubby based on the success he had at Tulsa and Georgia before coming back to UK. It would be a close, split decision for any panel though.

Mine would be
Rupp - 5 Star Hall of Fame
Hall - 4.5 Star Coached for only 16 years. Had he coached an additional 7He would probably have 2 or 3 more Final Fours on his coaching resume. And would more than likely be in the Hall of Fame.
Sutton - 4 Star Over 800 career wins & 3 Final Fours & I believe he might be 1 of only 3 coaches along with Pitino & Calipari to take 3 different school to the Elite 8. Like him or not he belongs in the Hall of Fame.
Pitino - 5 Star Hall of Fame
Tubby - 3 Star A great guy, a mediocre coach
Gillispie - 1 Star Still can't believe UK hired this guy
Calipari - 5 Star Hall of Fame
Not to quibble, OK maybe a little, but Joe B coached 13 seasons, 1973-1985 unless your counting his stint here at Regis. His last game was in March of 1985 in the Sweet 16 here in Denver vs St Johns. I was there. I agree with your rating of him. I think it was under appreciated the pressure he faced following Rupp. He delivered with 3 F4’s, a runnerup in 1975, a title in 1978, and an NIT title in 1976 when it was still somewhat relevant. I would rate Rupp, Pitino and Cal 5 star, and Tubby 4. Sutton and Billy G 1. Sutton was a drunk who oversaw us getting put on probation. Nothing else he did matters to me.

You propose an impossible task........no one knows how long Cal will coach so there is no way to judge his "entire career".....wouldn't that require that he retire?[cheers]

Rupp , Pitino and Cal are all time greats . I mean all 3 would have to be in the top 20 of greatest cbb coaches ever . Cal is in the top 3 of the last 25 years and Pitino is probably right there too. From 88-97 he was the best for sure along with K . Cal's numbers at Memphis , UK and UMass can't be argued against . No one is better . He might have 1-2 peers but no one is better. Billy was horrible . Tubby was great in his hayday but when he got tired of recruiting he became an average coach . Sutton was average for the most part and Hall was good but never follow a legend.

Rupp, Pitino, Cal - 5
Hall- 4
Tubby - 4
Sutton - 2
BCG - 1

Rupp - 5-The man, the myth, the legend. He built UK and is still the only coach with more than one title.

Hall - 3.5-Tough spot after Rupp.

Sutton - 2.5-Probation plus Sean Sutton.

Pitino - 5- He did get us back on track and to the top of the mountain again. Was really close to a 3peat in 96,97,98 which is dam near impossible to do these days. (Assuming he wins it in 98 like Tubby since it was his players.)

Tubby - 3-Great guy, good coach, just the wrong man for the job. The UK coach needs to be bigger than life and Tubby just seemed like an odd fit at times.

BCG - (-2)-I was in shock when they hired him. All I knew about him was he beat U6 in the Tourney. I thought for sure Cal was coming and kept saying it's so obvious. BCG sent us backward. Gardner Webb will always be in my mind and it shouldn't be. He was a train wreck and really turned us into a joke for a while. Even though I am not a fan of Sutton no one is close to BCG and that should be scrubbed from the history books. What a horrible hire.

Calipari - 5-Like him or not he is the perfect man for the job. He gets it on every level and through the refs and the FBI scandals he has kept us out of the mud like most of our blueblood brothers. He not only brings in amazing talent, but almost all of them seem to be an amazing young man. Sure I miss not getting to know the players for longer. Sure we should have at least another title in his time, but he was made for this job. When he is gone one day I think even those that weren't his biggest fans will sorely miss him. There have been 3 guys at UK that seemed as good as it gets while they were here.

I'm just glad we have not been defined by one coach like some schools. I think they all did something for Uk in their own way except for Sutton and BCG who sent us backward.

How soon people forget Billy averaged an SEC coach of the year award 50% of the time he was here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyone giving Pitino less than a 5 didn't pay attention to what he did at Kentucky during the rebuild or what he did at Providence.

Those two stints alone put him at a 5. He was still outstanding at Louisville (4.5), even before the scandal. Additionally, he did win the 2013 title in much the same way Cal led UMass and Memphis to Final Fours - by actually coaching real games.

I agrre with you straight down the line but I'd be inclined to consider a 4 overall career for Tubby based on the success he had at Tulsa and Georgia before coming back to UK. It would be a close, split decision for any panel though.
Didn't Tubby inherit both those teams...and then the championship team with UK?

Anyone giving Pitino less than a 5 didn't pay attention to what he did at Kentucky during the rebuild or what he did at Providence.

Those two stints alone put him at a 5. He was still outstanding at Louisville (4.5), even before the scandal. Additionally, he did win the 2013 title in much the same way Cal led UMass and Memphis to Final Fours - by actually coaching real games.
I know a lot hate Pitino on these threads, but the man did restore the glory to UK. Anyone watching from 1991-1997 saw some tremendous basketball. In every game I felt we have a very good shot at winning and felt we were going to make a run in the tourney. I do miss those days.

I'll give Billy G a 0.5 because he at least made recruiting interesting again. Not good, mind you, but interesting.
Excellent point. He was not boring.

I'd give him a 0.20 though, as that matched his average BAC during games he coached.

Reactions: funKYcat75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT