ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma St

TOMCATS1990

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2019
The team will be wearing helmets this season with QR codes on the back of the helmet. You scan the code and it takes you to their NIL collective to make a donation. Personally I hate it but its a solid idea that I’m sure others will follow.

Set up QR codes on the turnstiles on the way out after a big home win.

Lock the turnstiles and make people scan the QR code and donate to leave after a bad loss.

????

Profit

Despise NIL. It has ruined college sports. Not at all what it was intended to be.
It'll even out.

As far as QR codes just being out and about, that likely won't work unless safeguards are put in place. Could be as simple as a plexiglass box over the codes so it's impossible to fake someone out, but if no protective measures are done, nothing is stopping a bad actor from putting up a code sticker that'll lead to malware or scams.

Helmets are a solid idea. For us, it might work on TVs around the concourse and the endzone jumbotrons too.

Reactions: satcheluk
It'll even out.

As far as QR codes just being out and about, that likely won't work unless safeguards are put in place. Could be as simple as a plexiglass box over the codes so it's impossible to fake someone out, but if no protective measures are done, nothing is stopping a bad actor from putting up a code sticker that'll lead to malware or scams.

Helmets are a solid idea. For us, it might work on TVs around the concourse and the endzone jumbotrons too.
They should put QR codes on the big screen a few times a game. Probably just before kick off, when everyone is jacked. During halftime, when many are imbibing and as the last few minutes before we win encouraging fans to rearward them for a job well done.

Reactions: JPFisher
Despise NIL. It has ruined college sports. Not at all what it was intended to be.
I feel the same but it is almost like a karmic pendulum that is now swinging the other way.

The "real" intention of college sports was to be clubs for amateurs who were building character and camaraderie while pursuing their studies. But our national love of sports turned it into a cashcow for colleges and the media, without students benefiting at the same level, which was still manageable a few decades ago where you could argue that the level of money in the sport vs the scholarship + special treatment athletes received was enough. It is probably why you didn't see successful lawsuits like those that led to NIL back in the 70s or 80s. But now in the 2000s the money has gotten so egregiously unbalanced that the concept of amateurism for the major money sports is basically laughable (not just media contracts for TV, but apparel, sponsorships, and the monetization of social media posts, etc). I hate it but I also can't look an athlete in the face and tell them they don't deserve to profit off the entertainment we are all consuming.

If the product degrades enough that the level of money drops, things may evolve again, but so far we aren't seeing that.

It'll even out.

I thought it would too, but not so sure any longer. ATM and Miami were 2 of the biggest NIL abusers when it went into effect 3 years ago, now they have came back to the masses, and others have taken their place, Oregon has Phil Knight and his 40+ billion wanting a NC in his lifetime, tOSU is spending like they are printing money because Michigan has won 3 in a row and a NC and the vols are so desperate to not have to set at the kids table they are spending more than anyone.

It wont be long before the Oline will be selling ads on their behinds . . . "EAT - AT - UNCLE - JOES - BBQ!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT