ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma guy visiting

Like the old Pitino stories before he started landing great talent. We aren’t going to have the most talent on the floor but we dam sure will be the best conditioned team out there.
I think that is one of the things that sticks in craw of some of us more, uh, aged fans. Pitino's teams came in swarms. Score off turnovers with relentless defensive pressure. It just seemed like the 23-24 Cats were made for such an approach. Instead we were really a poor defensive squad. Thus the craw sticking.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
I suppose work ethic was revealed in the Pitino days when the players were puking in the garbage cans. Not sure if that will work today. I guess the work ethic goal posts have shifted. Since Pope was from that era maybe he has a keen eye for those that have the will to prepare.
Pope cares a lot more about accountability and work ethic than the guy who left UK to go swim in the mud with other pigs. It also helps that we're finally going to see an offense that forces guys to keep working as part of something greater. In Cal's system it was basically a couple of guys doing the work, while the rest just stood around. That encourages guys taking off plays, conserving energy, not being fully engaged.

Pope cares a lot more about accountability and work ethic than the guy who left UK to go swim in the mud with other pigs. It also helps that we're finally going to see an offense that forces guys to keep working as part of something greater. In Cal's system it was basically a couple of guys doing the work, while the rest just stood around. That encourages guys taking off plays, conserving energy, not being fully engaged.
Give us an example (instead of just babbling) about how Pope cares more about accountability and work ethic than Cal (or any other coach)?

Does he care more? Maybe, but (as always) you have no freaking clue what you are talking about.

• Sad
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
if there are better players in the portal or they feel they are better, they arent going to be scared away by Oweh so this isnt going to push a big time talent out if thats what you guys are worried about

I rather have stojakovic if I’m being honest
Why ? He showed NOTHING all year, the Oweh kid had some very goo games. 23 points / 5 rebounds / 2 steals against UNC. He was 10/11 from the free throw line, meaning he doesn't just camp out at the 3 line, he can score at the rim, not scared of contact. Stojakovic is a one way , one dimensional player (offense / 3 point shooter only), with bad shooting numbers in a terrible Pac 10. Oweh played in the best conference in college basketball (Big 12). Even if he did not shoot it great in conference, he can at least play defense when his shot is not falling. 38% from 3 is 38% from 3.

Stojakovic's #s :
7.8 points / 3.4 rebounds (at 6-7, lol) / 40/32/52 shooting splits. Not a damn one of those is acceptable, actually piss poor. Doesn't score, rebound, play defense, and can't shoot. Yeah, he is a better option.

Oweh's #s
11.4 ppg / 3.8 rebounds (6-4) / 1.5 steals per game 50% / 38% / 65% (made 10-11 from the line v/s UNC)

boom smile GIF

He's a pass for me, but Pope is the HC so whatever he says I guess.

2023-2024 Big 12 conference

8.9 FGA scored 8.2pts.....shot 36.8% from the field and 20.6% from 3. 64% from the FT line. If he's willing to come off the bench then sure, maybe. If not, no way.
I am not sure why you'd use conference stats only....but on the season

11 pts, 3.8 boards, 1 assist, 1.8 TO, 1.5 steals....49%FG 37%s3pt and 64%FT as a true sophmore.

But the kid is 6'5 215 lbs...so he's a huge guard size wise....he looks like he's a nightmare on defense. His stats looks solid but the assist to TO ratio is absurdly bad.

Reactions: BassProCat
Why ? He showed NOTHING all year, the Oweh kid had some very goo games. 23 points / 5 rebounds / 2 steals against UNC. He was 10/11 from the free throw line, meaning he doesn't just camp out at the 3 line, he can score at the rim, not scared of contact. Stojakovic is a one way , one dimensional player (offense / 3 point shooter only), with bad shooting numbers in a terrible Pac 10. Oweh played in the best conference in college basketball (Big 12). Even if he did not shoot it great in conference, he can at least play defense when his shot is not falling. 38% from 3 is 38% from 3.

Stojakovic's #s :
7.8 points / 3.4 rebounds (at 6-7, lol) / 40/32/52 shooting splits. Not a damn one of those is acceptable, actually piss poor. Doesn't score, rebound, play defense, and can't shoot. Yeah, he is a better option.

Oweh's #s
11.4 ppg / 3.8 rebounds (6-4) / 1.5 steals per game 50% / 38% / 65% (made 10-11 from the line v/s UNC)
Stojakovic was in a bad situation, surrounded by bette players he will perform better, I would still welcome oweh. He isn’t a bum by any means, there are just players I like better. I like poplar better than oweh and stojakovic

Reactions: qwesley
Oweh and Osobor, along with Williams would give us three grown men that would not be pushed around. Not just big and thick but a lot of talent among them. Looks like Oweh would match up well with a guy like Davis that is going to AR. Just saying having one big strong talented guard would make a difference. Also, having a guy like Smith at the one looks like it would be huge for a lot of the athletic type of players we are going to be facing. Duke has two good size guards that a guy like Oweh would be able to check size wise. Just a couple of examples of having a good diverse team of different sizes and skills.

Reactions: BassProCat
Give us an example (instead of just babbling) about how Pope cares more about accountability and work ethic than Cal (or any other coach)?

Does he care more? Maybe, but (as always) you have no freaking clue what you are talking about.
i will give you an example, multiple players missing several weeks of playing time over injuries they could have played through.

That will go away now under Pope

"Is a tough, physical defender with versatility to guard the top non-center scorer on the opposition." - Jerry Meyer, 2021

"He still finished the season with the best defensive rating among all Oklahoma players, allowing 98.4 points per 100 possessions when on the floor and averaging a team-best 1.5 steals per game." - 247Sports, 2024

Pope's BYU team actually played Oklahoma. They know what he does as an opponent. It was BYU's worst loss of the season (16 points - Box Score). It was Saunders' worst shooting performance of the season (minimum of 5 shots). Jaxson Robinson was 28.6% in that game.

I wonder who Oweh guarded?

"Is a tough, physical defender with versatility to guard the top non-center scorer on the opposition." - Jerry Meyer, 2021

"He still finished the season with the best defensive rating among all Oklahoma players, allowing 98.4 points per 100 possessions when on the floor and averaging a team-best 1.5 steals per game." - 247Sports, 2024

Pope's BYU team actually played Oklahoma. They know what he does as an opponent. It was BYU's worst loss of the season (16 points - Box Score). It was Saunders' worst shooting performance of the season (minimum of 5 shots). Jaxson Robinson was 28.6% in that game.

I wonder who Oweh guarded?
That backs up my 2 way player with toughness post. We HAVE to have guys who can defend. MOST of the posters here when a player in the portal is mentioned, ALL they look at is the PPG and 3FG%. Not every players needs to average 20 per game and be a 40% 3FG shooter. All though he does shot 38%, he is a big, physical, guard who can defend any player on the other team that is a non center. He had TEN rebounds FIVE steals against WVU. Shot 10-11 from the free throw line and scored 23 against North Carolina. I can't get these guys to understand, you can't have a whole team full of guys who only want to camp out at the 3 point line and jack 3s, but can't / will not fight for a rebound or defend to save their life. We already know what a team full of scorers and no defenders looks like, just watch last years team.

Reactions: fatguy87

I did see Cal start guys who were clearly being outworked and outplayed while in game situations at least. Just this year I saw DJ and Justin continuously be rewarded with starts even though their game production suggested players on the bench were better. Maybe they outworked them in practice and that is why. I can’t speak on that.

Also, can't use the "Cal didn't coach defense, blah, blah, blah" excuse for the team last year having only scorers and no defenders. BYU was the EXACT same. They could put up points, but they couldn't stop anybody. I do NOT want to see another BYU or UK team from last year. With MOST of the posters on here's preference in types of players they want to come, that is EXACTLY the type of team we will have. We do have to have scorers, BUT we also have to have toughness and physical players who can defend and rebound. If you can't get stops or rebound misses, it doesn't matter how many scorers you have, you will not go far.

I did see Cal start guys who were clearly being outworked and outplayed while in game situations at least. Just this year I saw DJ and Justin continuously be rewarded with starts even though their game production suggested players on the bench were better. Maybe they outworked them in practice and that is why. I can’t speak on that.

He admitted he started them not to hurt feelings. He sold his soul. F him.

Those are solid pieces for sure.

Toss a McNeely or another real STUD into that mix and I'll feel better.

Not sure thoe 3 being our "big 3" is enough to win us an SEC title or have us compete for a FinalFour.
That’s how I feel, I want them for sure but I want some surefire I know they can play like Reeves type dudes. Omier/Wooga/the Seton Hall guard Kadary Richmond. Guys who are top flight big conference players and been to an elite 8 or better. I know Reeves was a smaller school so I know they can be great. I’d feel confident in a Johnell Davis type commit to feel really good about next year right away.

It looks as if Coach Pope likes big, physical players. Williams, Oweh, and Osobor is the start of a badass team
I’ve heard he definitely will change how he recruits here because he knows the athleticism and size needed to compete at this high levels. I’m sure he will look for the best skilled of those guys as well in the future but right now he kinda need a whole team lol.

I like his game, Strong, good hands, good motor , good work ethic , improved shooting every year and has two years of eligibility. His brother plays for the Baltimore Ravens so has the family athletic genes and is not desperate to go to nba like the former Uk freshman.

I would take him over Wagner or Thiero.

Would be like a 5 star experienced get IMO. As would Osobor. Those two along with Williams and Smith would be as good a core to build around as we could have hoped for.

I think that is one of the things that sticks in craw of some of us more, uh, aged fans. Pitino's teams came in swarms. Score off turnovers with relentless defensive pressure. It just seemed like the 23-24 Cats were made for such an approach. Instead we were really a poor defensive squad. Thus the craw sticking.
I said the same thing. If you can't play half court defense at least try pressing and getting turnovers and easy transition points. What is the worst thing that could happen they beat the press and score? I mean it's not like they aren't scoring at will in the half court.

I know we need to cast a wide net but I'm not sure about this one if he comes to UK.

Pope has to land one or two big time guys and this guy isn't one of those.
The truth is, he has to land the RIGHT guys - they don't have to be "big time" guys. Cal landed a ton of "big time" guys, and didn't work out so well.

UCONN lands the RIGHT guys
Purdue lands the RIGHT guys
Alabama has been landing the RIGHT guys

i will give you an example, multiple players missing several weeks of playing time over injuries they could have played through.

That will go away now under Pope
Let's go ahead and add....
DJ and Edwards starting despite hard evidence to the contrary of Reed/Rob being more deserving
BJ Boston continuing to start and get a longer leash than anyone else
Lack of diving for loose balls, taking charges, being more physical than opponents, etc. these last few years

Our defense was a surprise to me as well. Cal’s teams were typically solid on the defensive end just because we have always been so athletic and the effort was there. Some of his teams were elite defensively. This past season was unlike any other team he has had. It looked like they never practiced defense once all season and were always unprepared come game time.

As fans we can look at stats of a player. How hard and physical he plays, etc and decide whether you think he would be a good player or not. But the thing that might be a deciding factor for a coach is one we can't see. What is he attitude? Would he be a good team player instead of just thinking about himself. Team chemistry? Cal had all lot of faults as coach, but that was an important area I thought he did well at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT