ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma guy visiting

happy kyle busch GIF by NASCAR on NBC
It’s omeir from Miami

This one could Go Oweh IMO (get it? get it? Pretty clever huh?)

But yeah I am not overly thrilled with this one BUT I did read he's supposed to be a killer defender so maybe that part is good- if he's okay being a bench piece.

Those are solid pieces for sure.

Toss a McNeely or another real STUD into that mix and I'll feel better.

Not sure thoe 3 being our "big 3" is enough to win us an SEC title or have us compete for a FinalFour.
In my opinion, those three alone are more talented and capable, top to bottom, than any given member of Pope's team from last year. The only caveat MAY be Jaxson. The talent and experience we'll get to watch on the court this winter could be something really, truly special.

Yes, it'd be nice to have some stars, but there are still supposedly some big names not yet in the portal that, if they came out to transfer, would have UK high on their list.

Reactions: BassProCat
For a complete roster you need some good complementary and role players. I would think he definitely fall into that category and if he can be more even better. At this point we need players and he would be just fine!

Reactions: BassProCat
We aren't going to sign 10 players who averaged 10+ points per game with 40+% 3 point shooting with a sizeable number of attempts. Those players are in high demand.

1-2 of those type of players is much more realistic and then we have to fill out the roster.

Oweh had 55.5 TS% and had an obscene steal rate as a freshman, 5.9%, and a pretty good one last year, 3.4%. He rebounds well for his size. His shooting doesn't stand out at the moment, but he does bring other skills to the table.

I have a bad habit of generalizing and directly relating FT Pct to work ethic. Unless it is Shaq or Wilt impact. 64 percent doesn't move the needle but I trust Pope's instincts and role visions.
It's easy to forget that Pope isn't just looking at what a guy has done, but a guy's character as well. Can he be molded into someone who WILL have a work ethic? Calipari wasn't known to mold guys. He just went for every guy with a 5* beside their name, and rolled the dice. If they didn't have a work ethic, he hid them behind other guys on the court.

It's easy to forget that Pope isn't just looking at what a guy has done, but a guy's character as well. Can he be molded into someone who WILL have a work ethic? Calipari wasn't known to mold guys. He just went for every guy with a 5* beside their name, and rolled the dice. If they didn't have a work ethic, he hid them behind other guys on the court.
I suppose work ethic was revealed in the Pitino days when the players were puking in the garbage cans. Not sure if that will work today. I guess the work ethic goal posts have shifted. Since Pope was from that era maybe he has a keen eye for those that have the will to prepare.

I know we need to cast a wide net but I'm not sure about this one if he comes to UK.

Pope has to land one or two big time guys and this guy isn't one of those.
We have TEN open spots. Not all of them can be starters / superstars. We have to have depth. This guy has two years left, is a 6-4 / 6-5 combo guard who averaged over 11.4 points per game and 3.8 rebounds 1.5 steals and 50% shooting / 38% from 3. He made a huge improvement from freshman to sophomore year. Only a sophomore, has 2 years left, started 28 games for Oklahoma, played in the best conference (Big 12), what's not to like ?
Against UNC he had 23 points / 5 rebounds / 2 steals. Went 10/11 from the free throw line ( plays physical and gets to the line) 6-10 from the field (1/2 from 3.)

Had 12 points / 10 rebounds / 5 steals against WVU. I mention this game because of the TEN rebounds and five steals. He is more than a scorer, he plays tough, definitely doesn't shy away from contact, and will get down and dirty. Toughness is the most important thing recent teams have lacked. They can't all be guys who just sit back and launch 3's and play soft. this kid brings a attitude and fight, all while being a solid shooter, 38% from 3 is nothing to stick your nose up to. I will take all the 2 way players we can get, we already know what a bunch of score only guys on a team can do. It is fun to score 90-100 in a game (last year), but not if you give up more than you score because you have a team who can't guard a fence post, and scared to get after it.

I suppose work ethic was revealed in the Pitino days when the players were puking in the garbage cans. Not sure if that will work today. I guess the work ethic goal posts have shifted. Since Pope was from that era maybe he has a keen eye for those that have the will to prepare.
Like the old Pitino stories before he started landing great talent. We aren’t going to have the most talent on the floor but we dam sure will be the best conditioned team out there.

Reactions: Festivus Miracle
He's a pass for me, but Pope is the HC so whatever he says I guess.

2023-2024 Big 12 conference

8.9 FGA scored 8.2pts.....shot 36.8% from the field and 20.6% from 3. 64% from the FT line. If he's willing to come off the bench then sure, maybe. If not, no way.
20 percent from 3! Oouch

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT