ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, why is Barney a great AD?

1 of the 3 is in better shape than when he took over. Football, that's it.
Do wut? Basketball is in far better shape than when he got here. Football and basketball are the only things that really matter. The rest is just window dressing. He's knocked that out of the park after two spectacularly bad hires.

Who cares about baseballsucka?

Reactions: BigBlueTom1
Did you even read the article? He is far from last in that link. He has a B- with multiple other SEC ADs ranked well below him.

He has a C+. And is the LAST ranked AD in the SEC. There are some listed below him, but they aren't on the list. They were given NA, because they were new AD's. Out of all SEC AD's he was LAST.
You need to re-read it.

". After Currie wasn’t allowed by UT officials to hire Greg Schiano or Mike Leach to replace the fired Butch Jones, Fulmer came on board and landed Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt. Pruitt had a rough start, losing 12 of his first 19 games with the Vols. However, Tennessee ended strong last season as the Vols closed the year on a six-game winning streak."

yep Fulmer made a great football hire. Should def be ranked over Barnhart

Do wut? Basketball is in far better shape than when he got here. Football and basketball are the only things that really matter. The rest is just window dressing. He's knocked that out of the park after two spectacularly bad hires.

Who cares about baseballsucka?

In the 6 years before Mitch got here, we had 2 national championships. In the 19 years Mitch has been here, we have had 1. That's not better. Good grief Hank.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
In the 6 years before Mitch got here, we had 2 national championships. In the 19 years Mitch has been here, we have had 1. That's not better. Good grief Hank.
If you only gauge performance by championships, no one will ever meet your expectations. Mitch made two bad hires in Joker and BCG however he rectified them both quickly. At the time, both were thought to be good hires. They just didn't pan out. Show me an AD that hasn't made a bad hire in his tenure. They all do it. Post BCG, the basketball team sits atop many lists like final 4s, tourney wins, etc. The basketball team has been as good as it ever was as far as championship wins and even better in regards to being in contention for the championships. I love that you pick the 6 years prior to Mitch. Why not go back further to 78 when we had won the other most recent championship? Manipulating your time frame to suit your argument makes your argument look weak.

Yes, Dick Pipe, the UK basketball program under a rejuvenated Calipari is in better shape than it was under Tubby in 2002.

Last edited:
If you only gauge performance by championships, no one will ever meet your expectations. Mitch made two bad hires in Joker and BCG however he rectified them both quickly. At the time, both were thought to be good hires. They just didn't pan out. Show me an AD that hasn't made a bad hire in his tenure. They all do it. Post BCG, the basketball team sits atop many lists like final 4s, tourney wins, etc. The basketball team has been as good as it ever was as far as championship wins and even better in regards to being in contention for the championships. I love that you pick the 6 years prior to Mitch. Why not go back further to 78 when we had won the other most recent championship? Manipulating your time frame to suit your argument makes your argument look weak.

Ok take whatever time period you want, Barnhart has been here 19 years, has 1 national championship. Take the previous 19 years, he still has half the National championships of his predecessor. That's just fact.

Yes, Dick Pipe, the UK basketball program under a rejuvenated Calipari is in better shape that it was under Tubby in 2002.

Horseshit. I'm happy where our program is at, but he has 1 national championship in his 19 years. That's not better. For our history that's below average. I don't know of an AD that has less in that time period of being AD.

Ok take whatever time period you want, Barnhart has been here 19 years, has 1 national championship. Take the previous 19 years, he still has half the National championships of his predecessor. That's just fact.
He’s still the best AD we’ve ever had by a long shot. He is one of the best AD’s in the nation, if not the best.
That doesn’t mean he hasn’t made mistakes, and won’t in the future.

The beer issue at games, football will be what drives the contract with a provider. When will UK be in the best position to negotiate? After a year when the stadium will have a higher attendance or after a couple of years low averages?

Horseshit. I'm happy where our program is at, but he has 1 national championship in his 19 years. That's not better. For our history that's below average. I don't know of an AD that has less in that time period of being AD.

Cliff Hagan had one title and his hires managed to implode 2 programs

If Cal and his NBA all stars did not melt under pressure in huge tournament games Mitch would have more than 1 national title. So, it’s hard to place blame on him on that alone.

He’s still the best AD we’ve ever had by a long shot. He is one of the best AD’s in the nation, if not the best.
That doesn’t mean he hasn’t made mistakes, and won’t in the future.

The beer issue at games, football will be what drives the contract with a provider. When will UK be in the best position to negotiate? After a year when the stadium will have a higher attendance or after a couple of years low averages?

This is where you lose all credibility, saying he is the best AD in the country. I just showed you a list where several journalist ranked AD's in the SEC , and he was ranked LAST.
By the way, our football coach made another snide remark about support for the football team today. Thats two comments in two days, but nothing to see here.

Just fyi, when ranked, he was ranked absolutely LAST, when ranking SEC AD's.

These rankings are based solely on men’s football and basketball and don’t just include the AD’s current school but all schools they have worked at. So it doesn’t rank the AD’s total performance and it doesn’t look at it based on their tenure at their current school. So MB’s performance at UK isn’t even being evaluated in what you posted.

These rankings are based solely on men’s football and basketball and don’t just include the AD’s current school but all schools they have worked at. So it doesn’t rank the AD’s total performance and it doesn’t look at it based on their tenure at their current school. So MB’s performance at UK isn’t even being evaluated in what you posted.
Football and men's basketball are the only sports that matter. The rest is cool and all, but I give zero shits about the rifle team if our basketball or football teams suck.

That simply shows you don’t know our history. UK played it’s first basketball game in 1903. In our 118 year history, we have won 8 championships or 1 every 14.75 years. We have one under Mitch in 19 years. He is only 4.25 years into his second average stretch, so we only need to win one title in the next 10.5 years to only be average. If we win one before then, he is well above average. That doesn’t even bring into discussion the repeated trips to the final 4 since Cal got here as well as the runner up finishes. The basketball program is in much better shape today than it was at the end of Tubby’s tenure. Mitch deserves credit for that even you don’t want to admit it. At this point, you are acting like Mitch stole your GF in high school and you just can’t get over it. All your posts of a personal vendetta in which you simply refuse to acknowledge facts presented. It’s fine to be that way. It just weakens your credibility and makes you look petty.

This is where you lose all credibility, saying he is the best AD in the country. I just showed you a list where several journalist ranked AD's in the SEC , and he was ranked LAST.
By the way, our football coach made another snide remark about support for the football team today. Thats two comments in two days, but nothing to see here.

Actually it was two journalists, one of whom was Jeff Goodman.

The people who actually run college athletics know better. Most consider Barnhart to be the most influential AD in the SEC. There’s a reason so many SEC schools seek out his assistants to be their AD.

His stance on the beer thing is bizarre, but he is unquestionably one of the best and most influential ADs across all of college athletics.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Who cares what they say? The results say otherwise. The accolades say otherwise, the progress in all sports say otherwise.

I didn’t say he was the best, I said he was one of, if not the top AD in the country, and he is.

Football and men's basketball are the only sports that matter. The rest is cool and all, but I give zero shits about the rifle team if our basketball or football teams suck.
That's why your opinion on this subject doesn't matter. You don't realize what all the AD's job is about.

That simply shows you don’t know our history. UK played it’s first basketball game in 1903. In our 118 year history, we have won 8 championships or 1 every 14.75 years. We have one under Mitch in 19 years. He is only 4.25 years into his second average stretch, so we only need to win one title in the next 10.5 years to only be average. If we win one before then, he is well above average. That doesn’t even bring into discussion the repeated trips to the final 4 since Cal got here as well as the runner up finishes. The basketball program is in much better shape today than it was at the end of Tubby’s tenure. Mitch deserves credit for that even you don’t want to admit it. At this point, you are acting like Mitch stole your GF in high school and you just can’t get over it. All your posts of a personal vendetta in which you simply refuse to acknowledge facts presented. It’s fine to be that way. It just weakens your credibility and makes you look petty.

Dude, the NCAA championship didn't start until 1939. Lol at you counting years in your equation that didn't even have NCAA championship.
I had to walk you through the link that you couldn't read correctly, and now this. Dude, step back and let the adults talk about this. You've obviously short upstairs.

Actually it was two journalists, one of whom was Jeff Goodman.

The people who actually run college athletics know better. Most consider Barnhart to be the most influential AD in the SEC. There’s a reason so many SEC schools seek out his assistants to be their AD.

His stance on the beer thing is bizarre, but he is unquestionably one of the best and most influential ADs across all of college athletics.

You just gave me a list that included Kirk Herbstreit. And Paul Finebaum was ranked ahead of Mitch. Come on.

That's why your opinion on this subject doesn't matter. You don't realize what all the AD's job is about.

I think Mitch has done a tremendous job on the second and third tier sports. But most fans could care less about the rifle team.
I would be all for Mitch handling all sports outside of the big three. Let Mitch handle those sports and bring somebody in to handle football, basketball and baseball.

Dude, the NCAA championship didn't start until 1939. Lol at you counting years in your equation that didn't even have NCAA championship.
I had to walk you through the link that you couldn't read correctly, and now this. Dude, step back and let the adults talk about this. You've obviously short upstairs.
You want to have a discussion or throw out juvenile insults. Funny you say let the adults talk but all you do is act like a petulant child. Do everyone a favor. Just take your ball and go home. We are all dumber for having read your nonsense. If I’m short upstairs, it’s from having read your inane nonsense and acting worse than a elementary school child. Get if the school computer. It’s time for recess. At least you are ok at kickball.

I think Mitch has done a tremendous job on the second and third tier sports. But most fans could care less about the rifle team.
I would be all for Mitch handling all sports outside of the big three. Let Mitch handle those sports and bring somebody in to handle football, basketball and baseball.
And the proper phrase is couldn’t care less. You just said they could care less which means they care about them. Tell me again who’s short upstairs when you don’t even know basic commonly used phrases.

You want to have a discussion or throw out juvenile insults. Funny you say let the adults talk but all you do is act like a petulant child. Do everyone a favor. Just take your ball and go home. We are all dumber for having read your nonsense. If I’m short upstairs, it’s from having read your inane nonsense and acting worse than a elementary school child. Get if the school computer. It’s time for recess. At least you are ok at kickball.

I think you need to go back and see who started the childish stuff first.
Just say, "oh damn, I look pretty silly averaging 118 years to compare national championships when national championships have only been around for like 80 years"
Lol

Reactions: Hank Camacho
I think you need to go back and see who started the childish stuff first.
Just say, "oh damn, I look pretty silly averaging 118 years to compare national championships when national championships have only been around for like 80 years"
Lol
I didn’t throw out any personal attacks. I simply said you werent nearly as knowledgeable about our history. You’ve proven that with your ridiculous assault on Mitch who has been the best AD top to bottom UK has ever had.

I didn’t throw out any personal attacks. I simply said you werent nearly as knowledgeable about our history. You’ve proven that with your ridiculous assault on Mitch who has been the best AD top to bottom UK has ever had.

You called me petty multiple times and then said Mitch stole my girlfriend in highschool. It's the paddock, I'm fine with it. Just don't cry when it gets dished back to you.

Didn’t cry. I said you were petty because you were being petty. I said you were acting like he stole your girlfriend cause you were. That is very different than personal attacks like calling someone stupid which you did me.

Whatever, when a guy signs a drunken basketball coach to a napkin contract you gotta give credit where it's due, shew sure got lucky on that one!

Reactions: UKRob 73
Whatever, when a guy signs a drunken basketball coach to a napkin contract you gotta give credit where it's due, shew sure got lucky on that one!
At the time BCG was considered a great hire and was a candidate for many openings. Hindsight is always a fickle thing. Looking back, it wasn’t a good hire but there was no way to know that at the time. If you are going to hold that hire against Mitch, fine. You also need to give him credit for firing him after 2 seasons when many were saying that BCG should at least get a 3rd year. You can’t hold BCG against Mitch without giving him credit for ending BCG quickly.

Reactions: kyeric
I credit Mitch Barnhart with changing the culture at a predominately basketball school. He took over an athletic department culture which suffered under "basketball first" athletic directors (Cliff Hagan 1975-1989, CM Newton 1989-2000, Larry Ivy 2000-2002), two of whom played for Coach Adolph Rupp. His results with non-revenue producing sports have been notable during his tenure. Three of his proteges now lead SEC athletic programs, and five are ADs at P5 programs. See my earlier post regarding results.

Regardless of his detractors, he's been the best for UK and scandal-free.

Last edited:
Not ragging on Mitch necessarily or disagreeing with your overall point but this very untrue. Just a little bit of due diligence would have uncovered a lot of his skeletons.
I disagree. There was no hint of those skeletons at the time. He was a hot commodity in coaching at the time.

I disagree. There was no hint of those skeletons at the time. He was a hot commodity in coaching at the time.

You're making stuff up again. He had two DUI's prior to the one he had in Ky. He was a drunk, everybody in Texas new it. A simple vetting would have told anybody that. It was a huge blunders by Mitch.

You're making stuff up again. He had two DUI's prior to the one he had in Ky. He was a drunk, everybody in Texas new it. A simple vetting would have told anybody that. It was a huge blunders by Mitch.
As a devoutly religious man, do you honestly think Mitch didn’t vet him and those past issues. Previous DUIs don’t mean people change. Past mistakes dont mean current problems or they are skeletons (they are hidden). If so, Cal never wouldve been hired. No one would ever have opportunities to redeem themselves based on past mistakes. Not even you. So you still are looking at this with some sort of clouded judgement.

Lost my quote but this is for UKRob73

Are you self aware at all?? Everyone in this thread disagrees, I guess you're just smarter than everyone else lol

Your big article that's your defense here, you've lies about it several times. Mitch isn't the lowest ranked, he is mid back with a B-, not a C as you say. And it wasn't done by several journalists, it's a Goodman article, it's his list.

Do you realize am AD is in charge of all athletic teams, not just football and basketball and baseball. If you can't look at facts and see we are worlds better in most sports, than you have some personal issue with Mitch clouding your judgement.

Honestly, when everyone disagrees, you're probably wrong. Btw there is a legit way to get an answer here. Look at Gov. Cup standings before Mitch and with Mitch. No debating those facts and they say you're dead wrong 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT