ADVERTISEMENT

Ok if HD stays in the draft....

I trust Cal in recruiting. Please don't put words in my mouth.
I just think the agreement was a bad one. Diallo used UK to help himself, but what did UK get in return? He may return and I hope he does because he is a dynamic player.
I highly doubt he does if he has improved as much as Cal says he has.
It should be a two way street. This is not an unreasonable request. Cal and UK have helped this kid tremendously, especially if he is a 1st round pick.
Your employer affords you a job and benefits. They provide with the ability to help yourself and your family. All they ask in return is for you to do your part to help them. Still haven't showed me what Cal or UK got in return?[/QUOTE]

To me the question is not that...it is: What did we lose? so far nothing...he did not "take' a scholly from anyone; and since Cal probably knew this was a possibility, I'm confident he has been shopping for a 2, or he is not as worried about that position as many of our posters

Disingenuous means insincere / dishonest and my post was sincere and honest unless I didn't come across clearly to you. I'll try to re-state it. I see a lot more posters than ever before that would take a bullet for Cal's recruiting and jump up on their bully pulpit saying that these kids should run to the money and live their dream and say these kids don't owe UK or UK fans anything. They act offended that any member of the BBN would want to hang another banner if it means that a player (every now and then) would stick around. They're eighteen years old for God's sake and next season will be OVER in less than eleven months. I don't expect these guys to be invested like Derek Willis and Dom but those two guys at least understood the BBN and actually thanked them. I realize they aren't Lottery picks but some posters (NOT ALL. I REPEAT- NOT ALL) want to watch our guys in the NBA more than they want to follow their college career. It's almost like they think these kids are doing us a favor to come to UK and 'get it'. I didn't intend for that to come out as if I'm an ass. I just see the shift in priorities and don't understand it or agree with it.

Forgive the poor vocabulary.

You are very sincere in your posts, and I respect that.

The comment about fans wanting kids to leave that shouldn't was mendacious as far as I am concerned, because I have yet to see anyone yearn for kids to leave, even the elite ones.

Not to say that posters dont make excuses or defend the kids once their decision has been made, especially when all that is left is to do is to accept it or whine about it.

I would love them all to stay.

I'm for the 2AD.

I'll be upset if Diallo stays in the draft.

I'll be pissed if he knows he is not a 1st rounder and stays in the draft anyway.

I'd fire him for being an idiot that can't learn from his mistakes. I would expect more from someone I am paying 8 million + per year. Requiring a little common sense should be expected.

Mindnumbingly ignorant.

Who would you replace him with genius?

Honestly I'll be shocked if he's not a first rounder. Look at the last few shooting guards projected in the first round. He may not be a better player than them right now but he's certainly a better pro prospect because of his length and explosiveness. And he actually is a pretty good ball player too.

Well said.

It seems we have a number of so called UK fans that seem more concerned that a recruit becomes a millionaire at age 19, then actually cares about the uh....UK team.

Thanks man. I get hammered repeatedly for feeling this way. I think posters feel like I don't like Cal or the players. Not true at all. I just think UK and the fans are part of this whole equation too while others think 'the first kid to a billion dollars wins'.

How do you two smart guys totally miss the substance of the conversation?

I dont care about Diallo being in the NBA.

Saying Cal should have never recruited him or "made him play this year" is the issue.

Thats fine as long as Cal remembers its UK paying his salary, not the kids he is recruiting. If he wants to put the university and fans best interest on the back burner, like most politicians do to their voters then it is time for him to move on.
well, you, Z and a couple of others need to start that petition...quit bitching and do something about it. That is the true American way.

Reactions: brianpoe
First it hasn't happened but even if it did what he has accomplished is so much greater than an error or two in judgement. PS you are not paying him anything but for those who are they have more than got their money worth.
He has already had 1 error being the NIT season, if Diallo stays in the draft that is #2. Coach Cal is a good coach, he's not a 8 million a year good coach though. He's been paid more than a fair wage for what he does for this program, not to mention when you throw in facilities, fan support, national exposure on top of that. How much a year is that worth on top of the salary he gets? So yes, if it happens again he should be fired.

Thats fine as long as Cal remembers its UK paying his salary, not the kids he is recruiting. If he wants to put the university and fans best interest on the back burner, like most politicians do to their voters then it is time for him to move on.

And hire who genius?

There is no way you are not trolling today.

Not even @ZaytovenCat or any other poster that doesnt like Cal would say the dumb things you have today.

He has already had 1 error being the NIT season, if Diallo stays in the draft that is #2. Coach Cal is a good coach, he's not a 8 million a year good coach though. He's been paid more than a fair wage for what he does for this program, not to mention when you throw in facilities, fan support, national exposure on top of that. How much a year is that worth on top of the salary he gets? So yes, if it happens again he should be fired.
I tried logic but obviously you are a hard headed, entitled moron with a Cal agenda.

Reactions: Blueaz and brianpoe

OBVIOUS TROLL IS OBVIOUS

I feel dumber for falling for it.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
And hire who genius?

There is no way you are not trolling today.

Not even @ZaytovenCat or any other poster that doesnt like Cal would say the dumb things you have today.
nope...he hate Cal...wants that man gone.
Check his history...lots of ill will toward a lot of different people
I will be adding a new one to ignore

So, Noels injury is on Cal? Interesting.

How do you two smart guys totally miss the substance of the conversation?

I dont care about Diallo being in the NBA.

Saying Cal should have never recruited him or "made him play this year" is the issue.
What's with the name calling? We're all UK fans.

Look, Cal's whole recruiting pitch is I will get you to the NBA faster than anyone. That's great and all, but some of us old timers, (I'm 50) would like to see some guys take pride in being a Wildcat, and not being in such a damn hurry to leave. It's one thing to be a sure fire first rounder, but now we're losing guys that haven't played, or guys that won't even sniff the first round.

Lexington is a pretty damn nice place, and being in a hurry to grow up isn't as much fun as some kids think.

I don't think I behaved dishonorably. If you think I did, that's your opinion. You have your opinion, I have mine. The reason he wanted to come to UK is because it would benefit him. He knew Cal and UK are the biggest names in the sport right now and coming here gave him great exposure and coaching. He didn't flunk out. If that had happened then he did it to himself. He wanted help and Cal and UK offered it to him.
There's a reason alumni like Davis, Wall, cousins, etc, come back to UK and Cal. It's because they benefited from their time here and they want to acknowledge that. UK and Cal also greatly benefited from them. It is a two way street. Diallo, if he stays in the Draft, will do all the reaping and no sowing. I understand why Cal did. I truly do.
Will you be ok if future recruits agree to come but refuse to play because it may hurt their draft status?

Most of what I posted was in general sorry you took it personal. I did quote your post...

What's with the name calling? We're all UK fans.

Look, Cal's whole recruiting pitch is I will get you to the NBA faster than anyone. That's great and all, but some of us old timers, (I'm 50) would like to see some guys take pride in being a Wildcat, and not being in such a damn hurry to leave. It's one thing to be a sure fire first rounder, but now we're losing guys that haven't played, or guys that won't even sniff the first round.

Lexington is a pretty damn nice place, and being in a hurry to grow up isn't as much fun as some kids think.

I called you smart...

???????

I'd say your huge contributions to the UK program probably equal about .0000001% of the athletic budget so Diallo probably owes you a nickel for his 4 month stay. You know you don't care about any of that, you're just mad because you're afraid this great player won't help UK win games next year. That's all that this is about. And I'm starting to hope that he does keep his name in the draft and one of the reasons he gives is that he was reading all the idiotic comments by Kentucky fans bashing him for putting his name in the draft and decided to leave.

Um, where did I say that Diallo owes me anything? You should probably brush up on your reading comprehension rather than going around preaching your narrative. I never said Diallo owed me a single thing and yeah, as a FAN, I am afraid he won't be around to help our team next year. What's so bad about that? If you're not, whether you have a problem with this or you don't, you're not much of a fan if you don't want him on the team next year.

And don't compare me to the idiots that have left dumbass comments toward Diallo. I've never said a single derogatory word towards Hami, nor would I ever. So, go take your preachin ass over to someone that fits your narrative cause I'm not your guy. You're just making yourself look like an idiot quoting my post with your comments. I'm not that guy.

Calm down, guys ...

AGAIN, HD is projected as the #22 pick in NEXT year's draft which is BY FAR weaker than this year's.

Him "declaring" this way was ALWAYS a part if the plan. So NBA scouts can tell him exactly what they want to see out if him next year and Calipari makes that the focal point of his improvement.

HD will be our starting 2G and lead the team in scoring.

Johnson and Bamba are still solid to UK.

Calipari has a plan. Like every year. We will all be EXTREMELY happy with the results.

In my worthless opinion as always.

Reactions: Dablueman
Disingenuous means insincere / dishonest and my post was sincere and honest unless I didn't come across clearly to you. I'll try to re-state it. I see a lot more posters than ever before that would take a bullet for Cal's recruiting and jump up on their bully pulpit saying that these kids should run to the money and live their dream and say these kids don't owe UK or UK fans anything. They act offended that any member of the BBN would want to hang another banner if it means that a player (every now and then) would stick around. They're eighteen years old for God's sake and next season will be OVER in less than eleven months. I don't expect these guys to be invested like Derek Willis and Dom but those two guys at least understood the BBN and actually thanked them. I realize they aren't Lottery picks but some posters (NOT ALL. I REPEAT- NOT ALL) want to watch our guys in the NBA more than they want to follow their college career. It's almost like they think these kids are doing us a favor to come to UK and 'get it'. I didn't intend for that to come out as if I'm an ass. I just see the shift in priorities and don't understand it or agree with it.
I don't know one UK fan, not one, who cares more about watching them in the NBA. Not one. Nor do I believe there is one. Not hundreds. One. Because they wouldn't be a UK fan. There is no shift in priorities. Doing right by these kids is the exact reason all of the top players want to play for Cal. The days of Richie from Clay County are over. Period.

No meltdown yet. I will hope he comes back but his twitter announcement makes it sound like he won't. If he does go, he took our help and gave us nothing in return.
Where do you get "our" from? Did you personally pay for him to attend UK this semester? What was he supposed to give "us" in return? You're ignorance is showing itself with each post.

I don't know one UK fan, not one, who cares more about watching them in the NBA. Not one. Nor do I believe there is one. Not hundreds. One. Because they wouldn't be a UK fan. There is no shift in priorities. Doing right by these kids is the exact reason all of the top players want to play for Cal. The days of Richie from Clay County are over. Period.

Yes the Richie days are over. You and I just see UK basketball differently. That's just the way it is. There's an active thread that's basically about the fans that are happy with the early departures and who are NOT happy with our current system. It's showing roughly 100 people for the way Cal's doing it and roughly 80 that don't like the way things are going. Overall that's pretty evenly split. I think that poll pretty much sums up that there's fans that feel both ways. I can't say either opinion is wrong, all I can do is say how I feel and let the chips fall where they may. Regardless, Cal's the coach and things are going to be done his way. So those fans that like the way things are going should feel really good and relax. They're getting what they want.

I never intended to chastise you for using the word "agreement"????

What are you talking about?

Agreement/arrangement who cares?

They obviously had some type of pact.

And yes, you said it was a bad decision, that seems to be questioning Cal's decision making regarding recruiting...?

But again, every coach would take the #1SG with the risk of leaving if it did not have a bearing on another recruit.
My issue was not Cal taking Diallo. I have probably not worded it the way I should. I wanted Diallo. He is along the lines of Monk imo. Maybe a little better athlete even.
I think the rule is what really needs changed. Either go straight to the NBA or stay 2 years. This way the kids get to make a choice and the school gets a little more sustainability.
What Cal did was the right move. My issue was whether Diallo ever truly intended to play at UK. When I said bad decision, I meant that Cal trusted the kid and maybe got taken advantage of in the process. Diallo is not bad kid that have read about. Just seems this whole thing was very lopsided in his favor and not much benefit to UK.

Reactions: brianpoe
Yes the Richie days are over. You and I just see UK basketball differently. That's just the way it is. There's an active thread that's basically about the fans that are happy with the early departures and who are NOT happy with our current system. It's showing roughly 100 people for the way Cal's doing it and roughly 80 that don't like the way things are going. Overall that's pretty evenly split. I think that poll pretty much sums up that there's fans that feel both ways. I can't say either opinion is wrong, all I can do is say how I feel and let the chips fall where they may. Regardless, Cal's the coach and things are going to be done his way. So those fans that like the way things are going should feel really good and relax. They're getting what they want.
And your way brought 3 titles in 52 years. Congrats on the success.

Blame the NBA if he takes from us and doesn't give ANYTHING in return? Ummmm, no.
What exactly did he take from you..or any of us for that matter? This is part of UK basketball now, so fans either get used to this or disassociate from the team. Diallo owes us nothing. That being said, I think he plays for UK next season.

And your way brought 3 titles in 52 years. Congrats on the success.

None of this is 'my way' but you have to be a smart ass. That's fine. As I said, the jury seems pretty evenly split between fans that like the current system and those who feel differently. I've never said I don't like Cal (I do like Cal), I just think his current routine could be tweaked a little. He doesn't have to do it my way (I don't have a way). I realize things have changed but he's a smart guy and a HOF coach and I think he could make an adjustment or two. Why do you want to argue. If you like the state of the program you're getting exactly what you want. Be happy about it.

None of this is 'my way' but you have to be a smart ass. That's fine. As I said, the jury seems pretty evenly split between fans that like the current system and those who feel differently. I've never said I don't like Cal (I do like Cal), I just think his current routine could be tweaked a little. He doesn't have to do it my way (I don't have a way). I realize things have changed but he's a smart guy and a HOF coach and I think he could make an adjustment or two. Why do you want to argue. If you like the state of the program you're getting exactly what you want. Be happy about it.
I'm happy Cal is taking advantage of the system to make UK successful. Like Coach K is. If the system changes, I know Cal will adapt and keep UK in the hunt. That is what great coaches do.

My issue was not Cal taking Diallo. I have probably not worded it the way I should. I wanted Diallo. He is along the lines of Monk imo. Maybe a little better athlete even.
I think the rule is what really needs changed. Either go straight to the NBA or stay 2 years. This way the kids get to make a choice and the school gets a little more sustainability.
What Cal did was the right move. My issue was whether Diallo ever truly intended to play at UK. When I said bad decision, I meant that Cal trusted the kid and maybe got taken advantage of in the process. Diallo is not bad kid that have read about. Just seems this whole thing was very lopsided in his favor and not much benefit to UK.

If Diallo leaves without 1st Round guarantee you are absolutely correct.

I think Cal took the 1st round risk but not anything more, imho.

Reactions: Cawood86
What exactly did he take from you..or any of us for that matter? This is part of UK basketball now, so fans either get used to this or disassociate from the team. Diallo owes us nothing. That being said, I think he plays for UK next season.

The players owe the fans nothing. Zip, zilch. But if they are gonna enroll, use U.K. Facilities for 4 months, gain access to Cals coaching for that long, etc. then they should give UK one year. I hope he does. Many people agree with me and I could care less if you don't.

Reactions: Bkocats
The players owe the fans nothing. Zip, zilch. But if they are gonna enroll, use U.K. Facilities for 4 months, gain access to Cals coaching for that long, etc. then they should give UK one year. I hope he does. Many people agree with me and I could care less if you don't.

Even more people think you are a troll who should be banned.

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
Now...now. Come on, didn't your Momma and Daddy teach you to respect your elders?

Show some respect to your fellow UK fans. And, lighten up a little.
It's all good. People have different views and opinions.

How boring would this board be if everyone agreed on everything?

Why do you keep adding me to your quotes Kev?

ADVERTISEMENT