ADVERTISEMENT

Ok if HD stays in the draft....

Is it anyone's dying wish to go to a game with a loved one who bitches constantly about a highly successful system that produces a contender almost every year?

The system is great, we just don't need any more mid-season enrolees that are projected one and done's. Not worth the hasstle and I'm confident we don't do it again.

The system is great, we just don't need any more mid-season enrolees that are projected one and done's. Not worth the hasstle and I'm confident we don't do it again.
This decision should be left to the one guy who actually has to deal with the hassle.

Is it anyone's dying wish to go to a game with a loved one who bitches constantly about a highly successful system that produces a contender almost every year?

Come on. You know what I meant. Even though it does seem a little strong there are a lot of older fans that take in a game with a son or daughter in their later years and treasure it. Say what you like but it's true. I'm not saying Cal should recruit around that or a player should stay just to please the BBN but damn man our fans are pretty special. Every sportscaster on the planet acknowledges that.

Reactions: Cawood86
Well if he used anybody it was the University of Kentucky, not "us". Yeah, he used the facilities and coaching staff to better himself, but the last I checked UK was doing just fine financially and won't go bankrupt from this. You're upset because he didn't give anything back to "you" by scoring points and winning games next year if he doesn't come back. This kid doesn't owe "you' anything and if he can go pro this year I wish him the best.

Oh, give me a break and take that self righteous shit down the road. Using words like "us" and "our" is just a figure of speech and if you're too dumb to figure that out then you shouldn't be here. I think I've given that school and that program enough of my money that I can use that figure of speech any time I want and if you don't like it, I really don't give 2 shits. Diallo doesn't owe me anything and I never said he did. Maybe you should read some of my other posts on this before making yourself look like an idiot.

This decision should be left to the one guy who actually has to deal with the hassle.

Uhhh, who said it wasn't Cal's decision? Do you pray at night to God, nobody or Cal? I bet that Cal never does a Diallo deal again.

I trust Cal in recruiting. Please don't put words in my mouth.
I just think the agreement was a bad one. Diallo used UK to help himself, but what did UK get in return? He may return and I hope he does because he is a dynamic player.
I highly doubt he does if he has improved as much as Cal says he has.
It should be a two way street. This is not an unreasonable request. Cal and UK have helped this kid tremendously, especially if he is a 1st round pick.
Your employer affords you a job and benefits. They provide with the ability to help yourself and your family. All they ask in return is for you to do your part to help them. Still haven't showed me what Cal or UK got in return?

You are not using the real world in your statements. Until you do you are going to continually be disappointed. At the end of the day HD does not owe UK a thing. You may think he does or even want him to owe UK but it doesn't work that way. If a student gets a full ride scholly what is his obligation to UK? If he flunks what is his obligation? If they quit what are there obligations? See how that works. You cannot talk about a two way street when students or athletes are only going one-way (However long that journey takes). You can do your best to conduct yourself honorably and in the end it will work out.

He will be back and have a great year here. This is just UK. Cal encourages kids to do this so we shouldn't be surprised when they do what Cal tells them to do. Cal is masterful at his craft. Good luck, Hami and we'll see you next year. Basically, we know he's gone next year for sure. He's not the first "none and done" as it is being reported on Sporting News.

Reactions: Cardsstink
Diallo is not even projected lottery in the 2018 draft he is projected 22 and we honest honestly think we fixed his shot in 4 months? This is to get feedback. If anyone pays attention to what Cal says he encourages a player to get the free feedback. He would have to blow up to not come back

Reactions: EclipsingYou
You are not using the real world in your statements. Until you do you are going to continually be disappointed. At the end of the day HD does not owe UK a thing. You may think he does or even want him to owe UK but it doesn't work that way. If a student gets a full ride scholly what is his obligation to UK? If he flunks what is his obligation? If they quit what are there obligations? See how that works. You cannot talk about a two way street when students or athletes are only going one-way (However long that journey takes). You can do your best to conduct yourself honorably and in the end it will work out.
I don't think I behaved dishonorably. If you think I did, that's your opinion. You have your opinion, I have mine. The reason he wanted to come to UK is because it would benefit him. He knew Cal and UK are the biggest names in the sport right now and coming here gave him great exposure and coaching. He didn't flunk out. If that had happened then he did it to himself. He wanted help and Cal and UK offered it to him.
There's a reason alumni like Davis, Wall, cousins, etc, come back to UK and Cal. It's because they benefited from their time here and they want to acknowledge that. UK and Cal also greatly benefited from them. It is a two way street. Diallo, if he stays in the Draft, will do all the reaping and no sowing. I understand why Cal did. I truly do.
Will you be ok if future recruits agree to come but refuse to play because it may hurt their draft status?

I trust Cal in recruiting. Please don't put words in my mouth.
I just think the agreement was a bad one. Diallo used UK to help himself, but what did UK get in return? He may return and I hope he does because he is a dynamic player.
I highly doubt he does if he has improved as much as Cal says he has.
It should be a two way street. This is not an unreasonable request. Cal and UK have helped this kid tremendously, especially if he is a 1st round pick.
Your employer affords you a job and benefits. They provide with the ability to help yourself and your family. All they ask in return is for you to do your part to help them. Still haven't showed me what Cal or UK got in return?

Best post I've read in a long time. For some reason a large segment of posters on this board don't think the fans have any skin in the game. When people's dying wish is to go to a UK game with a loved one (and it happens all the time whether you like it or not) posters gush with UK pride. But when threads like this pop up a huge amount of posters say 'screw the loyal fan teenager and get the heck out of Lexington whether you can play pro ball or not. Don't wait a few more months. Hell, you're 18 years old so you need to hurry up.

Both of these post are disingenuous.

Cawood - apparently Cal and Diallo had some sort of agreement.

And even though you have no idea what it was you think it was bad one?

I think Cal has proven to be a pretty good recruiter, so second guess him all you want.

We have no idea what the arrangement was.

I do know that if he stays we have a great SG and many people will look silly.

If he goes Cal thought it was worth the risk then so be it. I'll add again, if goes knowing he isnt 1st round then it was either a terrible arrangement or Cal ill be upset...

Champ: THIS IS NOT TRUE FOR THE MAJORITY:

"posters say 'screw the loyal fan teenager and get the heck out of Lexington whether you can play pro ball or not. Don't wait a few more months. Hell, you're 18 years old so you need to hurry up"

The vast majority realize and understand the 1st rounder's decision and for the most part we all gripe and complain about the ones who leave that are not 1st rounders.

Not sure why you would even say this?

I don't think I behaved dishonorably. If you think I did, that's your opinion. You have your opinion, I have mine. The reason he wanted to come to UK is because it would benefit him. He knew Cal and UK are the biggest names in the sport right now and coming here gave him great exposure and coaching. He didn't flunk out. If that had happened then he did it to himself. He wanted help and Cal and UK offered it to him.
There's a reason alumni like Davis, Wall, cousins, etc, come back to UK and Cal. It's because they benefited from their time here and they want to acknowledge that. UK and Cal also greatly benefited from them. It is a two way street. Diallo, if he stays in the Draft, will do all the reaping and no sowing. I understand why Cal did. I truly do.
Will you be ok if future recruits agree to come but refuse to play because it may hurt their draft status?
I honestly think if this situation ever happens again with Coach Cal then he should be fired immediately. First time shame on you, second time shame on me! If you want to run a program like a D-league team, go coach a D-league team.

Reactions: Jim Sauer
This is a opinion board and that's my opinion . Why do some of you get so dead dog butt hurt when opinions don't align with yours? It's not healthfy for you at all.
I don't mind other opinions. But what you said isn't an opinion. It is a wild ass guess.

I honestly think if this situation ever happens again with Coach Cal then he should be fired immediately. First time shame on you, second time shame on me! If you want to run a program like a D-league team, go coach a D-league team.
That's a bit much or sarcasm I guess.

Look at it. It's just beautiful.

That's a bit much or sarcasm I guess.
I don't think it's a bit much, he gets paid "8 million" a year to coach and lead this program. I don't think it's too much to ask that the coach, making 8 million + a year , to care just as much about putting our program in the best chance to be successful as helping a player reach their dreams.

Who cares anymore?

Why even have college basketball?

Let high school players be evaluated by the NBA, then if they're good enough they can get drafted and play.
If they're borderline, then just have those high school players go and play in a 351 team developmental league.

There's no longer any reason to have college basketball. Just do away with it. There's no longer any point to it.

I don't mind other opinions. But what you said isn't an opinion. It is a wild ass guess.

No, it's an opinion on what I think will happen. If you can't live in reality and understand that this is a message board for opinions and that of course me nor nobody can predict the future, then I feel sorry for you.

No, it's an opinion on what I think will happen. If you can't live in reality and understand that this is a message board for opinions and that of course me nor nobody can predict the future, then I feel sorry for you.
Seems to me that your opinion is grounded in the speculation that Cal didn't expect this. Buy whatever. No big deal.

I think Cal has proven to be a pretty good recruiter, so second guess him all you want.

If he goes Cal thought it was worth the risk then so be it. I'll add again, if goes knowing he isnt 1st round then it was either a terrible arrangement or Cal ill be upset...

"posters say 'screw the loyal fan teenager and get the heck out of Lexington whether you can play pro ball or not. Don't wait a few more months. Hell, you're 18 years old so you need to hurry up"

The vast majority realize and understand the 1st rounder's decision and for the most part we all gripe and complain about the ones who leave that are not 1st rounders.

Disingenuous means insincere / dishonest and my post was sincere and honest unless I didn't come across clearly to you. I'll try to re-state it. I see a lot more posters than ever before that would take a bullet for Cal's recruiting and jump up on their bully pulpit saying that these kids should run to the money and live their dream and say these kids don't owe UK or UK fans anything. They act offended that any member of the BBN would want to hang another banner if it means that a player (every now and then) would stick around. They're eighteen years old for God's sake and next season will be OVER in less than eleven months. I don't expect these guys to be invested like Derek Willis and Dom but those two guys at least understood the BBN and actually thanked them. I realize they aren't Lottery picks but some posters (NOT ALL. I REPEAT- NOT ALL) want to watch our guys in the NBA more than they want to follow their college career. It's almost like they think these kids are doing us a favor to come to UK and 'get it'. I didn't intend for that to come out as if I'm an ass. I just see the shift in priorities and don't understand it or agree with it.

Oh, give me a break and take that self righteous shit down the road. Using words like "us" and "our" is just a figure of speech and if you're too dumb to figure that out then you shouldn't be here. I think I've given that school and that program enough of my money that I can use that figure of speech any time I want and if you don't like it, I really don't give 2 shits. Diallo doesn't owe me anything and I never said he did. Maybe you should read some of my other posts on this before making yourself look like an idiot.

I'd say your huge contributions to the UK program probably equal about .0000001% of the athletic budget so Diallo probably owes you a nickel for his 4 month stay. You know you don't care about any of that, you're just mad because you're afraid this great player won't help UK win games next year. That's all that this is about. And I'm starting to hope that he does keep his name in the draft and one of the reasons he gives is that he was reading all the idiotic comments by Kentucky fans bashing him for putting his name in the draft and decided to leave.

This was a unique situation and if it happened again why would you fire Cal for it. What did it hurt. Who replaces him. There are many reasons to fire a coach but taking a benign risk isn't one of them.

This was a unique situation and if it happened again why would you fire Cal for it. What did it hurt. Who replaces him. There are many reasons to fire a coach but taking a benign risk isn't one of them.
I'd fire him for being an idiot that can't learn from his mistakes. I would expect more from someone I am paying 8 million + per year. Requiring a little common sense should be expected.

Wow. Ok. Spare me the I know what's true and what isn't act. So you can use the word arrangement but the word agreement is wrong? Get off your high horse today brother.
For goodness sake, I am not second guessing Cal's recruiting. You are the one being disingenuous when you say that. I have said numerous times on here I do not question Cal in recruiting. This is not about recruiting. I don't care if Cal recruits a whole roster of OAD's.
I would, however, like for the recruit at least play in a game.
You ok with future recruits agreeing to come to UK but not willing to play in any games for fear of hurting their draft status?

Reactions: brianpoe
Disingenuous means insincere / dishonest and my post was sincere and honest unless I didn't come across clearly to you. I'll try to re-state it. I see a lot more posters than ever before that would take a bullet for Cal's recruiting and jump up on their bully pulpit saying that these kids should run to the money and live their dream and say these kids don't owe UK or UK fans anything. They act offended that any member of the BBN would want to hang another banner if it means that a player (every now and then) would stick around. They're eighteen years old for God's sake and next season will be OVER in less than eleven months. I don't expect these guys to be invested like Derek Willis and Dom but those two guys at least understood the BBN and actually thanked them. I realize they aren't Lottery picks but some posters (NOT ALL. I REPEAT- NOT ALL) want to watch our guys in the NBA more than they want to follow their college career. It's almost like they think these kids are doing us a favor to come to UK and 'get it'. I didn't intend for that to come out as if I'm an ass. I just see the shift in priorities and don't understand it or agree with it.
Well said.

It seems we have a number of so called UK fans that seem more concerned that a recruit becomes a millionaire at age 19, then actually cares about the uh....UK team.

I'd say your huge contributions to the UK program probably equal about .0000001% of the athletic budget so Diallo probably owes you a nickel for his 4 month stay. You know you don't care about any of that, you're just mad because you're afraid this great player won't help UK win games next year. That's all that this is about. And I'm starting to hope that he does keep his name in the draft and one of the reasons he gives is that he was reading all the idiotic comments by Kentucky fans bashing him for putting his name in the draft and decided to leave.
Why come here in the first place if he didn't want to EVER play in a game? He could have worked out with other folks and still do what he is doing right now.

Well said.

It seems we have a number of so called UK fans that seem more concerned that a recruit becomes a millionaire at age 19, then actually cares about the uh....UK team.

Thanks man. I get hammered repeatedly for feeling this way. I think posters feel like I don't like Cal or the players. Not true at all. I just think UK and the fans are part of this whole equation too while others think 'the first kid to a billion dollars wins'.

Cal has allowed Diallo a place to safely protect his draft position in exchange for an elite practice participant and the possibility of returning. If Diallo is drafted immediately it helps Cal's goal of NBA players and if he returns then it is potentially even better.

I never had expectations of Diallo returning but I hope he does.
Cal has FLIPPED THE SCRIPT. The players no longer rely on the university to make a name, the university now relies on the players for success.
Lets just hope he gets Bamba/Knox/Johnson and or Diallo returns.
#9 won't be won on the court but rather on the recruiting trail.

I'd fire him for being an idiot that can't learn from his mistakes. I would expect more from someone I am paying 8 million + per year. Requiring a little common sense should be expected.
You'd be a terrible athletic director.

Cal has allowed Diallo a place to safely protect his draft position in exchange for an elite practice participant and the possibility of returning. If Diallo is drafted immediately it helps Cal's goal of NBA players and if he returns then it is potentially even better.

I never had expectations of Diallo returning but I hope he does.
Cal has FLIPPED THE SCRIPT. The players no longer rely on the university to make a name, the university now relies on the players for success.
Lets just hope he gets Bamba/Knox/Johnson and or Diallo returns.
#9 won't be won on the court but rather on the recruiting trail.
Thats fine as long as Cal remembers its UK paying his salary, not the kids he is recruiting. If he wants to put the university and fans best interest on the back burner, like most politicians do to their voters then it is time for him to move on.

Wow. Ok. Spare me the I know what's true and what isn't act. So you can use the word arrangement but the word agreement is wrong? Get off your high horse today brother.
For goodness sake, I am not second guessing Cal's recruiting. You are the one being disingenuous when you say that. I have said numerous times on here I do not question Cal in recruiting. This is not about recruiting. I don't care if Cal recruits a whole roster of OAD's.
I would, however, like for the recruit at least play in a game.
You ok with future recruits agreeing to come to UK but not willing to play in any games for fear of hurting their draft status?

I never intended to chastise you for using the word "agreement"????

What are you talking about?

Agreement/arrangement who cares?

They obviously had some type of pact.

And yes, you said it was a bad decision, that seems to be questioning Cal's decision making regarding recruiting...?

But again, every coach would take the #1SG with the risk of leaving if it did not have a bearing on another recruit.

First it hasn't happened but even if it did what he has accomplished is so much greater than an error or two in judgement. PS you are not paying him anything but for those who are they have more than got their money worth.

ADVERTISEMENT