ADVERTISEMENT

OK, I get it, Allen can't play defense,

He honestly isn't that bad. No, he can't guard a quick PG worth a lick but we don't have a single guy on the team that can. We struggle with lateral quickness. That is on the coach to then figure out how THIS team has to play defense instead of forcing how he wishes they could play.

Does that mean we don't switch at all cost? Does it meant we sag as much as possible? ....I'd say 1-3-1 or 3-2 zone but Cal can't teach it well enough to be effective. Zone doesn't mean stagnant

I don’t think he’s a particularly prolific scorer to be honest. Lacks ability to consistently create his own shot.

Bingo....this nails it. Allen is a horrendous defender and mediocre offensive player. He is a great shooter but can't create his own shot, can't beat a guy off the dribble so it has to be a wide open setup three.

I like Allen but if he wasn't from Kentucky people here would not be clamoring for him to being playing.

Also I think zone in spurts is okay but there are also times we get in it and absolutely get shredded.

The issue is the lack of offensive shooting ability. Here are the shooting percentages since the 2009-2010 season.
YearTotal2 pt3 pt
2009-2010
0.478​
0.545​
0.331​
2010-2011
0.459​
0.488​
0.397​
2011-2012
0.488​
0.527​
0.378​
2012-2013
0.475​
0.529​
0.346​
2013-2014
0.454​
0.500​
0.332​
2014-2015
0.468​
0.512​
0.349​
2015-2016
0.478​
0.529​
0.366​
2017-2018
0.472​
0.512​
0.357​
2018-2019
0.477​
0.529​
0.354​
2019-2020
0.461​
0.504​
0.343​
2020-2021
0.419​
0.472​
0.284​

Stop it
Allen can't shoot. Period! 1 game doesn't make a person a shooter.

I defended him, till now. Cal is in his head so bad he can't walk with out tripping.

Reactions: willievic
I don’t think he’s a particularly prolific scorer to be honest. Lacks ability to consistently create his own shot.

He's a straight up shooter, that is what he was in High School. Cal needs to realize that and create opportunities for him. Too few screens. Also what happened to the old penetrate and kickback. Everyone on the team that penetrates takes the shot whether its a good one or not.

Reactions: KFuqua and crestcat
He can't shoot. Take away the one game, he's 26%. He's 50% free throw shooter. Cal is in his head now. He's ruined

Then a good coach, would run him off screens. A lot of good 3 point shooters cannot create their own shot if they have a good defensive man guarding them. Then the coach has to help them with double screens. Evidently Cal does not know how to teach screens. The screens we set are much to loose, allowing the defensive man to go in front of the screener, instead of behind him. Setting a screen that way. accomplishes nothing. It just like our big men trying to block out. They have no idea how to. If they know how, a 6 foot guy can block out a 6'10" guy. The big guy would have to go over his back to get the rebound, if he knows how to block out. These are basics, that most of us learned early in life, that Cal doesn't teach. He relying strictly on athletic ability, when recruiting.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Allen is the most gifted offensive player on this team. Just wait till the guy gets even more reps. He's got a knack for offense. He should be starting every game.

Steph Curry can't play a lick of defense either. Hasn't seemed to hurt his career. Obviously Allen isn't Curry. But I really don't care about his defense.

Boston can't guard either. Allen has a shorter leash with Cal. That's why UK fans clamor for Allen. Because Cal has a double standard. It's infuriating.

Hes not great, but you have to play him big minutes on this team simply because they have to respect him at the 3 pt line. I like him and Boston on the floor at the same time. He needs to have a green light whenever he has space. Not saying its particularly good basketball, but teams need to respect that he will let it fly from anywhere.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
There is one central ingredient as to why our defense is so poor. Guys haven't been made to get into a low defensive stance and move their feet. The problem is not our heart. It's lack of technique, and that can be taught. It hasn't been taught, but it can be.

Defense is the least of our concerns. Its the one thing we do halfway competently. The problem continues to be the offense. DA is one of our most consistent scoring options, and the mere threat of him out there creates spacing which should benefit a guy like BJ if A)he would take it to the basket instead of jack up shots all over Hades and B) Cal would ever play them together. Cals too busy fantasizing about the teams length and experimenting with tandem big lineups of Ware/Jackson/Sarr and it just will not work! Especially if you don't have a PG who can effectively make entry passes. Or have guys get open off screens and effectively make outside shots, which will help draw the D out. Each problem snowballs to the detriment of another area.

It all starts with the floor general. Until we solve that issue we're putting band aids on a shotgun wound.

I will use the analogy of last year's football team. Injuries forced them to use Bowden at QB. They had to adapt to his ability and and alter the offense to fit what he could do. It wasn't pretty but they still won 8 games and a bowl game.

No big fan of Gran or Stoops but I give them credit for doing that and making it work. That's coaching.

Cal just won't do that sort of thing. Keeps playing man to man defense regardless. Keeps running the same offense without players who can run it properly. Change....adapt. What you're doing isn't working Cal. Seems everyone can see it but him.

Allen has scored 25 points in his last 4 games and that is with as many minutes on the floor as anybody. After he has been scouted, coaches have figured out how to stop him.

Allen needs a playmaking PG (drive and dish) he can't get his own shot..He needs to be a catch and shoot guy . good news is he has 4 years to get better.. (follow the D Miller path) he's just not ready right now

Last edited:
Reactions: kb22stang
Allen has scored 25 points in his last 4 games and that is with as many minutes on the floor as anybody. After he has been scouted, coaches have figured out how to stop him.

All they have to do is put a fairly quick defensive man on him, that he can't get around and just worry about him getting an open shot. Been pretty easy to defend, after he hit all those 3's. Now they just limit his shots, which is fairly easy when he can't break his man down, and get to the rim. If he could, he would be one and done.

TBH defense isn't this teams problem. We were bad vs Bama but overall it hasn't been awful.

We are 97th in offensive efficiency and 19th in defensive efficiency. You can work with 19th. You can't with 97th.
I think we look better defensively somewhat because we milk the shot clock on offense, especially in the last 8-10 minutes. Cal reins them in instead of letting them play more uptempo. But, yes, we’re pretty good on defense minus the Alabama game.

Reactions: TIE543
Coach, noboby can keep their man in front of them, why not play a zone? Nope, let's keep getting beat game after game. I've seen grade school coaches make better adjustments.
They switch to zone a few times. Ga busted a 3 as soon as we did

This team should be playing zone period
Not quick enough to play man
Call is a one trick pony and being exposed as a crappy Coach when talent is not great

Stop it
Allen can't shoot. Period! 1 game doesn't make a person a shooter.

I defended him, till now. Cal is in his head so bad he can't walk with out tripping.

lol...a lot of you will blame Cal for anything. The kid is a developmental player, nothing wrong with that. If we had some good penetrators and he could catch and shoot then he'd be able to contribute something, but we dont

Allen will develop into a really good player. Give him time. But rightl now he can’t dribble (poor handle), drive to the basket, or distribute the ball. He’s just a got who can float around the perimeter and hopefully get open for a jump shot. Cats need his shooting but he’s as of now way off from being a well rounded player.

Reactions: crazy _legs
HA, I was in Allens camp but he's just a very average college shooter, nothing more. And as far as the other's they are way below average and some of these players are just going to be G league players and gone when they next batch comes through.

And to guy referencing Steph Curry to Allen....what an insult to Curry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT