ADVERTISEMENT

***** Official Game Thread Kentucky vs. Penn*****

People hate it but you absolutely run clock there.

Only way they can come back is if possessions end early. Only way that happens if it the team takes quick shots or the other team forces turnovers.

We actually extended the lead late on, even playing stall ball.

People hate it but you absolutely run clock there.

Only way they can come back is if possessions end early. Only way that happens if it the team takes quick shots or the other team forces turnovers.

We actually extended the lead late on, even playing stall ball.
If someone can't see how well we ended that game, not sure what they're watching.

Even if you don't get a good shot, you still have ran a full 30 seconds off the clock.

Just take care of the ball at the end of games and it's a W.
Problem is against a team like Penn, you can't afford to come up empty handed and them go nail a three. We did fine today. Just have to play smart in those situations.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Problem is against a team like Penn, you can't afford to come up empty handed and them go nail a three. We did fine today. Just have to play smart in those situations.

I think the bigger issue this game anyways was we did have three straight possessions in turning the ball over. That can't happen either. Luckily they missed some shots and they missed some free throws and so it didn't hurt us but yeah. This team did so well first 7 games of the season taking care of the ball. Last two games not so much.

Reactions: bbncal02
Overall I thought this was a good game.

There's two ways of looking at this. One would be like well we extended this lead to 16 why do we keep letting back teams into the game.

The other way to look at it would be well we were up 16, they came back and we still won big in the end. We were good enough to not only extend the lead once, but twice.

Clearly you don't want to let teams back into games but honestly 9 games into this season despite the head scratching loss to UNC Wilmington I think this is a pretty good team we got this season.

Reactions: BC_Wader
Offense starts with defense. Biggest thing freshmen have to learn is you have to bring everything you got every second your feet are on the floor. You can’t take time off. When you do, the d breaks down and the o gets less effective. That’s generally why Cal yells half the game.

Reactions: University-6
Offense starts with defense. Biggest thing freshmen have to learn is you have to bring everything you got every second your feet are on the floor. You can’t take time off. When you do, the d breaks down and the o gets less effective. That’s generally why Cal yells half the game.
Yeah, just thought our group of "Dawgs" were better than that this year. Guess not.

At that point in the game with the 3 point shooters Penn had, any smart team will be playing "stall ball," right? Is the goal at that point to entertain or to win?
We are more than capable of matching anyone who wants to play the 3 game. Had we done so, it would have forced Penn to have to defend the perimeter which would have opened up the low post for Bradshaw and Mitchell. We can't piss around and rob our shooters of their confidence.

Now I got no fight with any man who does what he's told, but when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down.

Reactions: Seakat311
Cal motto in full force

Maybe. But a bad shot with 1 second on the shot clock at that point in the game is still better than a bad shot with 25 seconds on the shot clock or an early possession turnover.

Henry posts the stat every time we are up double digits. What we are like 339-15 under Cal with a double digit lead.

I'd venture to guess if we were to compare that with any top tier coach in college basketball, it would be similar. In other words I don't think Cal does any worse than any other coach in that situation. All coaches go into stall ball mode. Every one of them.

I don't know why would we have scheduled this game
We can play just cupcakes at home all year if we want to have any kind of tournament OOC resume plus a better NET. Just have to stop letting these kind of teams hang around like we did with UNCW and it cost us there. Luckily today Kentucky decided to play some D in the final 10 mins and it carried us to the win.

Maybe. But a bad shot with 1 second on the shot clock at that point in the game is still better than a bad shot with 25 seconds on the shot clock or an early possession turnover.

Henry posts the stat every time we are up double digits. What we are like 339-15 under Cal with a double digit lead.

I'd venture to guess if we were to compare that with any top tier coach in college basketball, it would be similar. In other words I don't think Cal does any worse than any other coach in that situation. All coaches go into stall ball mode. Every one of them.
Know of a couple it costs them greatly. Wisc is one.

We are more than capable of matching anyone who wants to play the 3 game. Had we done so, it would have forced Penn to have to defend the perimeter which would have opened up the low post for Bradshaw and Mitchell. We can't piss around and rob our shooters of their confidence.
Using the entire clock at the end of the game was absolutely the correct thing that any competent coach would have done. To be looking to jack up 3s early in the shot clock with that lead against a very good 3pt. shooting team would have been the height of idiocracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seakat311
Kentucky could have won by 20+ if they hadn't rushed some shots and getting mugged by the Pennsylvania player's didn't help much either.

The refs didn't want to see Kentucky beat them by double digits. I hope Edwards can get his confidence back. He's not allowing the game to come to him, so instead, his insecurities are showing by his play.

Reed has gone MIA the last two games, but it's expected with him being a freshman. Better early in the season then come March.

I really do see this team making a deep run come March, but we need our team healthy and clicking at the right time. I know I get critical at times, but damnit, I know their better than what is shown on the court.

If they can get it together, then they'll be very dangerous in March. I won't hold my breath because Calipari always shits the bed in crucial moments if the game is on the line.

I'm excited about this season, but they have to stop leaving the three point line wide open.

Didn’t get to watch the game today but I have enjoyed the highlights and most importantly the Win!

Kentucky could have won by 20+ if they hadn't rushed some shots and getting mugged by the Pennsylvania player's didn't help much either.

The refs didn't want to see Kentucky beat them by double digits. I hope Edwards can get his confidence back. He's not allowing the game to come to him, so instead, his insecurities are showing by his play.

Reed has gone MIA the last two games, but it's expected with him being a freshman. Better early in the season then come March.

I really do see this team making a deep run come March, but we need our team healthy and clicking at the right time. I know I get critical at times, but damnit, I know their better than what is shown on the court.

If they can get it together, then they'll be very dangerous in March. I won't hold my breath because Calipari always shits the bed in crucial moments if the game is on the line.

I'm excited about this season, but they have to stop leaving the three point line wide op

Reed scored like 25 points in the last game didn't he?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT