ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Play Calling

The sad part is we're calling the plays we're most confident in and they've pretty much limited us for the most part.

It's Grann calling the plays. I'm wondering what happened to the motion in the wildcat. I feel like it can keep another defender out of the box to guard against the sweep. At least give an option other than straight ahead run every time.

Took our opponent (who beat us last year) too lightly. Very vanilla game plan and a whole off-season to create ways to get Conrad involved and he only gets 2 touches. Snell fumble and SJ sack late in first half took 6-10 points off the board also.

Best plays were read-option handing it to Snell and 2 play action passes to Conrad.

What didn't work...Snell wildcat with no motion before the snap to at least hide it and create numbers ...and straight drop back passing.

A lot has to be on the o-line play...can't be too creative when your getting whipped on 1st down all day in the trenches.

Defense and special teams where very good...minus about 10 minutes of bad tackling in the second half.

Reactions: Jazzycat and Wvvrn
Did Gran run the Wildcat this much before he came here? Looked like we missed Boom and Badet. Going to have to find someone to make a big play.

Reactions: rye48
Did Gran run the Wildcat this much before he came here? Looked like we missed Boom and Badet. Going to have to find someone to make a big play.

This sums it up. An amazing lack of speed on the offensive side of the ball. Only guy who showed any ability to separate all day was our TE. That tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: UKWinsAgainYep
They had 8 in the box. We have one in the backfield and the whole stadium knew what was coming.

Hard to execute no matter who you are.

SJ missed one or two throws but other than that he looked pretty good. Pretty disappointed In offense.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Took our opponent (who beat us last year) too lightly. Very vanilla game plan and a whole off-season to create ways to get Conrad involved and he only gets 2 touches. Snell fumble and SJ sack late in first half took 6-10 points off the board also.

Best plays were read-option handing it to Snell and 2 play action passes to Conrad.

What didn't work...Snell wildcat with no motion before the snap to at least hide it and create numbers ...and straight drop back passing.

A lot has to be on the o-line play...can't be too creative when your getting whipped on 1st down all day in the trenches.

Defense and special teams where very good...minus about 10 minutes of bad tackling in the second half.
I think you're dead on. Play calling was about as conservative as it gets. There's no point in having SJ in the game if you don't let him actually use his legs or throw it a little bit on 1st down. They'll probably play a very similar style against EKU because they know they can win with it but if they don't open it up a bit more against SC it will be ugly. The D is gonna be good enough to win some games but this O needs major work (OL specifically).

It seems like we can never get our talent lined up on both sides of the ball at the same time. I can still see a lot of potential in this O group but it will have to be run radically different than it was today.

1. I wish on read option SJ would keep 3-4 times a game to use his feet and keep defense honest on the RB keep action. We need that to keep defense off of keying all over Benny.
2. Going to wildcat so much was a mistake we made at times last year as well. I'm fine with in short yardage situations and goal line....but we started drives with it at least 4 times and it just bogs down at times.
3. I know many will call it knee jerk reaction....but King isn't a legit RB. He goes down with a sneeze and isn't as explosive/fast as many make him out to be (not even close to Boom's explosion). It needs to be Rose as backup to Benny.

Reactions: rye48 and catben
You can't run your offense to win the time of possession battle if you're going to lose it by 10-15 minutes against teams like So. Miss. Our best offensive plays in the second half were penalties on the other team.

I'm so sick of being boring, UK football is BORING and it has been for a very long time. There's no reason for such a long period without a decent, fun to watch offense. Maryland put up 51 on Texas today, WVU scores a million points every year and we look like a high school team running the most basic stuff imaginable.

My kingdom for Mike Hartline

Gran is a good OC. That being said his last two games have me scratching my head. If there is no motion in the Wildcat, the defense knows what is coming and will sell out to beat it, and they did.
I do believe that Johnson's legs aren't 100%.

I like Gran overall, but if he has a weakness it's overthinking things. Last year showed us that he knows how to make adjustments throughout the season so I'm hoping he does that. I just hope he doesn't continue to overthink the player rotation. Got to make AJ Rose the #2 behind Snell and start getting Lynn Bowden some touches in one form or another. Maybe some jet sweeps, something like that.

On offense, Do we have SEC speed at any skill position? Snell is fast enough for the type runner he is , but I don't know if we have a receiver or runningback with game breaking speed . Can King catch the ball out of the backfield? Cause that kid needs space to play to his skill set.

Reactions: thepip
I am hoping that the staff does not want to use much of the offense for the first two games. Like others, I am sick of boring and unimaginative football. What happened to the Gran who had such high powered offenses? GO CATS!!

O-line did not have a good day, ran a little too much wildcat formation. SJ did take several shots down field, but missed them, his 3 passes to Conrad showed he has improved that aspect of his game. Juice needs more catches.

Reactions: 55wildcat
Seems to me like we were in the mindset of being in practice and running the Wildcat until it worked

I'm so sick of being boring, UK football is BORING and it has been for a very long time. There's no reason for such a long period without a decent, fun to watch offense. Maryland put up 51 on Texas today, WVU scores a million points every year and we look like a high school team running the most basic stuff imaginable.

My kingdom for Mike Hartline

Better get used to it. I think it's more of a Stoops thing than the OC. He wants to keep the defense off the field and his philosophy is to play it conservative on the other side of the ball. Gran and Dawson both averaged 80+ snaps a game at the previous stops and both of them average less than 70 under Stoops. I just hope we can win that way with slightly inferior athletes in the SEC.

The Wildcat ain't going to work...nobody else is running it except Texas and they lost.
Snell not elusive enough and line was whipped

Staff obviously has no confidence in Johnson or receivers

Staff is very Tubby Smith like...I will watch at home..no fun paying for tickets and watching Coaches play not to lose

It's Grann calling the plays. I'm wondering what happened to the motion in the wildcat. I feel like it can keep another defender out of the box to guard against the sweep. At least give an option other than straight ahead run every time.
Yes. The Snellcat wasn't working. We've used motion in the past, so the only thought is they were possibly holding it back. I expected Bowden to be the motion guy, picking up where Timmons left off. Benny and the Jets..... :)

[QUOTE="UKCatnNC, post: 6098793, member: 4072"What happened to the Gran who had such high powered offenses? GO CATS!![/QUOTE]

1Os5_T_v.jpeg

One common thing between Gran, Dawson, and Brown is that they were all hired because of their high powered offenses. Yet everyone of them have ran vanilla conservative versions of offenses with less snaps per game upon coming here for the most part. Early on I could see things not being up to full speed due to the players we had, but this is year 5 now. These are all the players Stoops and his coaches have brought here.

There should be no excuse to look this bad or play this conservative. I understand you don't want to give away much of the playbook this early, but you also need repetitions to make those saved plays effective. It's time to open up the offense and play the guys who are best suited for it. If Johnson can't make the throws give Barker or one of the other QB's a shot. This next game is the last opportunity to tune things up before we start playing better opponents.

Gran is a very good football coach, he will get things figured out and have us in a position to be productive. He admitted himself that he stuck with the WC too much yesterday, I appreciate that he's willing to admit he was being stubborn on that. We had some issues on the OL that prevented success but I'm confident he and Schlarman will retool and make adjustments and get things going on the right track. I'm thankful we've got this EKU game to iron out the kinks and figure out who our best unit is going to be before conference play. This O still has the potential to be very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT