ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic: Mitch Troubles

Sounds like a situation where plantiffs say UK should have known and stopped it. Remains to be seen if there is evidence that UK and/or Mitch did actually know.

It is really bad. I read the story and was shocked. This dude raped multiple women associated with UK swim team. Mitch and others athletic department staff were warned of the man's past and fielded complaints that went unanswered.

Reactions: Fox2monk
This is worse than pitinos assistants and the hookers. This swim coach is alleged by multiple people to have raped them. If Mitch didn’t know what was going on then he wasn’t doing his job. There’s no playing the plausible deniability here. His first job is the safety and security of all student athletes. This is disgusting if true and will take the entire admin down.

---
Why do you think he made the coaching hire so fast? He knew what was coming.

no way to know that. He’s not in speed dial of attorney’s while they feed him timing. He knew it was coming but probably not when. If you’re just talking timing this might not apply to you but I’ve seen this situation linked to the hire so it needs to be said.

People need to quit connecting this to our new hire. It’s not connected it looks like it was time to hire a guy like pope to reconnect with our 90’s brand. If it doesn’t work we always move on and find the right guy, but it was needed. I don’t think people fully understand how bad Calipari torched our brand. We needed something big to reconnect with real Kentucky basketbwll. We’ve got fans in their 20’s who think Calipari IS Kentucky basketball it’s made me sick to my stomach. The Pitino era is back and I also think this was a move to make that happen instead of hiring Pitino himself. It’s got nothing to do with the swim team. Our brand was broken and in real trouble.

Calipari created a non family oriented mercenary development league of our entire PROGRAM. He had cut off many former players and did nothing to promote them inside of our basketball department. We were bleeding out and losing prestige, everyone knew us for all the wrong reasons. (Gave Duke the family angle and they pounded it). Calipari is fine in the immediate when he wins but I personally watched the Memphis program turn to ash when he left and that’s what was going to happen here. His programs are set up on a yearly system. In hindsight we really needed a coach like this to re-Connect Kentucky basketball for fans and people that, because of Calipari, knew nothing about it. Thats why Mark Pope was hired and people in the ADt were aware of it.

The hire was coming as a backup plan to resurrect what Calipari had broken. Why do people think the choices were Drew and Pope? Look at the type of guys they are, we had to go in the opposite direction of Calipari to return Kentucky basketball to the family program that it always was. This is the states team, there’s no reason why he would allow Duke to have that mantle. They aren’t even the most followed team in their own state.

Last edited:
It is really bad. I read the story and was shocked. This dude raped multiple women associated with UK swim team. Mitch and others athletic department staff were warned of the man's past and fielded complaints that went unanswered.
I’m still confused if that’s what it is saying the allegations are. I can’t tell if the article is saying sexual assault happened while he was at UK or that UK was made aware of allegations by another university that did not happen at UK and they were being complicate by having such a person on staff?

EDIT:, Nevermind. Just saw this report that talks in more detail about the allegations, which happened at UK:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: sambowieshin
I’m still confused if that’s what it is saying the allegations are. I can’t tell if the article is saying sexual assault happened while he was at UK or that UK was made aware of allegations by another university that did not happen at UK and they were being complicate by having such a person on staff?

EDIT:, Nevermind. Just saw this report that talks in more detail about the allegations, which happened at UK:

It wasn’t clear to me either. Some of those articles are poorly written. But yeah it looks like it happened at other schools and UK was notified of his past but hired and kept him on anyway. Appears it happened for a good part of his time here too. This ain’t good.

It wasn’t clear to me either. Some of those articles are poorly written. But yeah it looks like it happened at other schools and UK was notified of his past but hired and kept him on anyway. Appears it happened for a good part of his time here too. This ain’t good.

Thanks for sharing. This isn’t good…at all. First, I feel for the victims if the allegations are true. Second, this will get an AD and potentially university president fired in a heartbeat (as it should) if true.

Nobody is covering up rape for the damn swim team.

Ole activist swim girl who fights against boys playing/swimming with girls, Riley Gaines was on the biggest platform in the world, Joe Rogan, not too long ago had glowing reviews for UKAD and MB. If something was amiss, I reckon she probably would have said something then.

We're talking about a guy who thinks OAD and NIL are a bit much...and he's going to allow rape!

Nobody is covering up rape for the damn swim team.

Ole activist swim girl who fights against boys playing/swimming with girls, Riley Gaines was on the biggest platform in the world, Joe Rogan, not too long ago had glowing reviews for UKAD and MB. If something was amiss, I reckon she probably would have said something then.

We're talking about a guy who thinks OAD and NIL are a bit much...and he's going to allow rape!
Something happened. From the information that has come out, it appears that he preyed on women utilizing his power as a coach at multiple stops in his career. What that entailed will be settled in court. The question is, how much did Mitch know?

I read it and don't think Mitch will get in trouble at all. People need to read and consider wording and also what isn't being said.

But I know there's a faction that's literally drooling to call for Mitch to be fired every chance they get.

Something happened. From the information that has come out, it appears that he preyed on women utilizing his power as a coach at multiple stops in his career. What that entailed will be settled in court. The question is, how much did Mitch know?
I appreciate your thoughts on this. It's digusting, and as a UK grad I'm a little sick to my stomach this morning. One of the first questions I have is at the beginning. Did the guy from Toledo tell UK in 2012 that he had seen Jorgensen having sex with an incapicated girl swimmer on the Toledo university video? That isn't clear. But if he told UK he saw the video in 2012, our AD is done I believe. Did UK do any kind of investigation at all in 2012 after receiving the email? If so, who did UK talk to?

Last edited:
According to the Athletic article, the timeline looks like:
  • 2012 - UK is alerted by former Toledo assistant that Jorgenson had an inappropriate relationship with an athlete. UK’s head coach at the time spoke with the woman Jorgenson had the relationship with, and she said the relationship began after she was no longer a student
  • 2014 - those same Toledo allegations were referenced in a lawsuit by a former Toledo softball coach
  • 2019 - San Diego State’s Title IX office informs UK’s Title IX office of an alleged sexual assault. Jorgenson denies it and the alleged victim refused to speak with UK’s Title IX office when they started looking into the allegation.
  • 2023 - UK becomes aware of more serious allegations as women start coming forward during the school’s investigation of Jorgenson for NCAA violations
It seems inappropriate for UK’s former head coach (Connelly) to have spoken with the Toledo woman in 2012, rather than someone from UK’s Title IX office. However, if UK’s Title IX office had spoken with her and she told them the same story, then I’m not sure there’s much UK could’ve done based on the Toledo complaints.

Which means the first allegation UK might’ve acted on was the notification in 2019 by San Diego State. Again, based on the article, it seems like it might be tough for UK to do anything there. They received a second hand report, they looked into it and the alleged victim declined to speak with them.

Last edited:
According to the Athletic article, the timeline looks like:
  • 2012 - UK is alerted by former Toledo assistant that Jorgenson had an inappropriate relationship with an athlete. UK’s head coach at the time spoke with the woman Jorgenson had the relationship with, and she said the relationship began after she was no longer a student
  • 2014 - those same Toledo allegations were referenced in a lawsuit by a former Toledo softball coach
  • 2019 - San Diego State’s Title IX office informs UK’s Title IX office of an alleged sexual assault. Jorgenson denies it and the alleged victim refused to speak with UK’s Title IX office when they started looking into the allegation.
  • 2023 - UK becomes aware of more serious allegations as women start coming forward during the school’s investigation of Jorgenson for NCAA violations
It seems inappropriate for UK’s former head coach (Connelly) to have spoken with the Toledo woman in 2012, rather than someone from UK’s Title IX office. However, if UK’s Title IX office had spoken with her and she told them the same story, then I’m not sure there’s much UK could’ve done based on the Toledo complaints.

Which means the first allegation UK might’ve acted on was the notification in 2019 by San Diego State. Again, based on the article, it seems like it might be tough for UK to do anything there. They received a second hand report, they looked into it and the alleged victim declined to speak with them.
I found this video very helpful too.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. It's digusting, and as a UK grad I'm a little sick to my stomach this morning. One of the first questions I have is at the beginning. Did the guy from Toledo tell UK in 2012 that he had seen Jorgensen having sex with an incapicated girl swimmer on the Toledo university video? That isn't clear. But if he told UK he saw the video in 2012, our AD is done I believe. Did UK do any kind of investigation at all in 2012 after receiving the email? If so, who did UK talk to?
Watch this video…it helped me better understand.

If all UK did was reach out to the female in 2012, while they were alerted to video, that isn't good enough. The email in the news video doesn't say anything about video evidence existing at Toledo. If there was a video at Toledo, why wasn't he fired at Toledo? Plus the email clearly said the girl he had "relations" (not sure what to call it at this point) with at Toledo hadn't graduated. Does that mean she was still on the team? If she said it was consensual and didn't start until she was no longer on the team, and UK didn't know about a possible video, that's a different story.

Last edited:
Like others I find it very odd that Riley has never spoken about this issue. She has a huge platform and audience and lines up pretty well with what she’s against (men taking advantage of women).

I would definitely wait until the dust settles and everyone has their day in their court before slinging judgment. There’s a reason one of America’s foundational legal principles is that you are innocent until prove guilty.

Reactions: FtWorthCat

What that guy did or didn't do will be hashed out in court like you said, and that's how it should go.

What UK title ix knew or didn't know is next. Seemingly dealing with a lot of secondhand knowledge and accusations from other places at this point.

Then there is UKAD/MB and what they were made aware of.

Reactions: Wally2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT