ADVERTISEMENT

Of all the things about Donovan that give me pause

Wonky

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
And there are many (college game is different animal now, zero experience with NIL, zero players coming with him), the biggest thing is what would his sales pitch to recruits be?

Kids today weren’t alive when Billy won his titles. So it’s kind of hard to pitch that. What they will see is “this dude just coached in the NBA for years… he knows what it takes to get me there ASAP!”

I’m sorry but we just canned a guy for relying on that system until it ran our program into the ground. After the last decade I don’t want anything related to the NBA to be honest.

How about, 'I've coached in the NBA for years and I know what the NBA is looking for'.
That’s been the problem… NBA. Surely you think that shouldn’t be a UK sales pitch? That worked great for the past several years, right?

I agree with the OP. The NBA will come if the player is worthy. We all should have a plan but why do preach NBA when they are still in high school. Give them a dang year or two at least!

That’s been the problem… NBA. Surely you think that shouldn’t be a UK sales pitch? That worked great for the past several years, right?

I agree with the OP. The NBA will come if the player is worthy. We all should have a plan but why do preach NBA when they are still in high school. Give them a dang year or two at least!
Not talking about pushing a one and done factory, but let's face it, players want to go where they have the best chance to get to the next level. You and I would do the same.

And there are many (college game is different animal now, zero experience with NIL, zero players coming with him), the biggest thing is what would his sales pitch to recruits be?

Kids today weren’t alive when Billy won his titles. So it’s kind of hard to pitch that. What they will see is “this dude just coached in the NBA for years… he knows what it takes to get me there ASAP!”

I’m sorry but we just canned a guy for relying on that system until it ran our program into the ground. After the last decade I don’t want anything related to the NBA to be honest.

UK isn't winning a damn thing without some NBA caliber players. Donovan would do amazingly well here and give UK its only legit chance to win 2 national titles the next 10 seasons IMO.

Goodman said that with Donovan he is the type that will focus on his job till season ends, so that would be 7-10 days. Then he said Donovan is the type that would call 100 people getting their advise, so it would probably be at least a couple of weeks if you wait.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Goodman said that with Donovan he is the type that will focus on his job till season ends, so that would be 7-10 days. Then he said Donovan is the type that would call 100 people getting their advise, so it would probably be at least a couple of weeks if you wait.
It can’t be a couple of weeks. They need a answer rather quickly

Reactions: dl51344
Don't think it matters if they remember Joakim Noah, Al Horford etc and I don't even think Billy D has to rely on previous success to recruit tbh. He was always a good recruiter even before the titles. Give him top assistants and top NIL and he'll be able to close. And if recruits still need recent history - tell them SGA was averaging 10 points a game until Donovan coached him. Coached Westbrook during his MVP season. Developed Bradley Beal in college. Has coached KD, Chris Paul, and Paul George - who all had good seasons under him.

Well, you've got recruits choosing IU because of Woodson's NBA connections .... or so they say .... I think Donovan would do just fine in that regard.

Pitino flopped in the NBA but Jamal Mashburn only came to Kentucky because he wanted to play for the Knicks coach. I think Donovan would be a slam dunk hire. His first season might be tough. After that I thnk he will recruit really well also I think he will hire people that understand the transfer portal and NIL and handle that just fine.

Reactions: AJG-15
Not talking about pushing a one and done factory, but let's face it, players want to go where they have the best chance to get to the next level. You and I would do the same.
Sure, I would as a player. I sure don’t need a coach for UK to push one and done, ever again! Hell, that’s why we are discussing this. Let’s get someone who values the Jersey first.

If you, the player, are good enough, play as a team, be a player/servant… the best is yet to come. If you play for UK, you are already ahead of the rest by proxy. That’s the kind of coach I think most of us would appreciate.

its hilarious that guys think college basketball is followed by high schoolers. Nba is way more popular and they are only going to college at all becasue they have too. they know about billy d more than any college coach.

Aka Goodman is scared Donovan to Kentucky is a reality and doesn’t want it to happen 😂😂🤪

its hilarious that guys think college basketball is followed by high schoolers. Nba is way more popular and they are only going to college at all becasue they have too. they know about billy d more than any college coach.
Yeah for god sake Mike Woodson got a recruiting boost from being “an NBA guy”

Billie Donovan for damn sure will have the respect of recruits being a national champion and a long time head NBA coach.

Next thing I know you are gonna be telling me Students go to college to get a job in what they studied, crazy.

He's also the kind who has backed out of jobs he already agreed to as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT