ADVERTISEMENT

Odds on the first coach that gets fired

I agree with this. Unless you know for a fact you have your guy lined up, maybe even signed, it's a big risk to get rid of a coach. Just look around the SEC at teams who have hired short lived coaches. I am not 100% on this but wasn't MSST's coach there for 1 year? AU got rid of 1 about 1 and a half season in. Even a successful coach from somewhere else might not have the success expected when jumping in the SEC.

You're right about jumping to the SEC and I'll even say the BIGPAC now as that conference is loaded with top programs and coaching. I hate to say it, but some of the best most entertaining football will be the new match ups coming from that merger. USC, Oregon, Wash, UCLA, Penn, Mich, OSU. They may even win the ratings battle thanks to the PNW and Coastal markets. But I digress, market demographics/ratings are another discussion for another thread and time.

If you are a coach who's hot to trot, making a name, rising up some call lists, you're probably seriously looking at B12, ACC. Money and resources are just as good. Exposure via endless sports TV/streaming/media is good, road to play offs easier, not quite the overall pressure cooker.

Go to the SEC or BIGPAC...get fired or just get lost down the depth chart of talented programs and coaches or go to one of the other conferences, make just as much money, have just as many resources, as much exposure, and sniff playoffs?

That's why it'll be hard to hire. The up and commers in the ACC and B12 that SEC and B10 could poach at will in eras past...they're going to stay put.

You're right about jumping to the SEC and I'll even say the BIGPAC now as that conference is loaded with top programs and coaching. I hate to say it, but some of the best most entertaining football will be the new match ups coming from that merger. USC, Oregon, Wash, UCLA, Penn, Mich, OSU. They may even win the ratings battle thanks to the PNW and Coastal markets. But I digress, market demographics/ratings are another discussion for another thread and time.

If you are a coach who's hot to trot, making a name, rising up some call lists, you're probably seriously looking at B12, ACC. Money and resources are just as good. Exposure via endless sports TV/streaming/media is good, road to play offs easier, not quite the overall pressure cooker.

Go to the SEC or BIGPAC...get fired or just get lost down the depth chart of talented programs and coaches or go to one of the other conferences, make just as much money, have just as many resources, as much exposure, and sniff playoffs?

That's why it'll be hard to hire. The up and commers in the ACC and B12 that SEC and B10 could poach at will in eras past...they're going to stay put.

Can't disagree with any of that, but 4-5 years down the road I think the gap between the Big2 conferences payouts and the other 2 P4 programs is going to get to a point that the ACC and Big12 won't be able to match what the Big2 are paying and will lead to the top coaches in the smaller 2 conferences jumping ship. But the other side of that is, 10m is alot, is it worth another 5-7m to jump to the big leagues. But right now, I am not sure there is an ACC coach anyone would want to grab, Big 12 or 20 or whatever it is, has 3-4 that would get some interest.

Dieon isn't getting fired. He's the ONLY reason anyone even mentions the word Colorado. Cristobal and Dabo aren't getting fired either, unless big scandals pop up at those schools.

Napier? He's prob getting canned mid-season if the losses pile up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT