ADVERTISEMENT

Observations on the Cats and some others

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
1. After the first couple of series, OL looked pretty good - opened up some good holes, no penalties, gave Brock time to throw. I know it was So Miss, but OL play was encouraging.
2. Defense clamped down and smothered SM. Gave up a few 3rd and longs early, then not much. Still not seeing much QB pressure from the edge, mainly from DL. Didn't see Fearby have even a QB pressure and that surprised me a bit.
3. Raymer, the kicker, is automatic. I never even consider that he's going to miss when he trots on the field. Didn't see the punting much so jury is still out.
4. Still need a RB to pick up tough yards. The 3 who played last night all looked good but small. Trayanum will still need to get some carries as the competition improves.
5. Did not see any passes to the RBs last night which surprised me. Only one target that I remember to TE which was a beautiful play for the last TD to Dingle. For all their hype, didn't make much impression last night.

Georgia - powerhouse, again (still?); maybe not as overwhelming as previous years but you can write them down as a playoff team with a high seed right now
Vandy - much better than expected; their QB is a baller but takes way too many hits; my guess is their season craters if he goes down
So Carolina - bad win; should have significantly more talent than ODU but was lucky to win; have some good athletes, though; QB is not very good other than running
Florida - a mess; Miami dominated them; defense got gashed; offense was lackluster and Mertz is still Mertz; didn't seem like either line was very good, either; if they don't improve quickly, Napier is gone; oh yeah, have a Murderer's Row schedule

Great observations!

With nearly every snap on offense, I would look to see if we had a TE, and whether he was “covered,” and hence ineligible for a reception. And we often had two TE’s, opposite sides, both of who were “covered” by the next receiver in the slot being lined
up on the LOS, and not a yard behind it.

I found it curious that we would frequently signal to the defense that we would not be throwing to our TE’s, by covering them. Still, as the game wore on and we went heavy, we began to dominate them on the ground, and our film showing covered TE’s might serve as fool’s gold, as the slots can simply back up a yard, and the TE’s magically become eligible.

And those heavy run sets with two TE’s can serve as equally heavy passing sets, simply by having the slot guys back up a yard.

Miami received tons of accolades yesterday and perhaps rightfully so but that wasn’t a Florida team as we have known them through the years. I certainly don’t see 6 wins on floridas schedule at the moment, 4 at best.

Reactions: ACT ONE
Lot of talk by myself and others in the off season about the transfer portal just gutting lower level teams. Jimbo Fisher was quoted in a recent article that a lot of lower level teams will be like JUCOs. In a very small one week sample, seems like that may well be the case.

There were a LOT of total mismatches this weekend resulting in 40, 50, 60 point blowouts. And it was not just the top level teams, even Iowa, Illinois, and Purdue posted 40+ point shutouts. If that trend continues, it won't be long until we see a push towards schedules that only include P4 (or whatever you want to call it) opponents. No one will be interested for long in continuing to schedule 69-3 games.

Actually, that's a good point that didn't occur to me as being the reason. I thought a lot of these scores are just completely lopsided. I know a lot of programs are playing FCS cupcakes first week for an automatic win but I don't think I have seen as many 40,50,60-point blowout wins in a single day ever. Portal and NIL must be ravaging these smaller schools.

Lot of talk by myself and others in the off season about the transfer portal just gutting lower level teams. Jimbo Fisher was quoted in a recent article that a lot of lower level teams will be like JUCOs. In a very small one week sample, seems like that may well be the case.

There were a LOT of total mismatches this weekend resulting in 40, 50, 60 point blowouts. And it was not just the top level teams, even Iowa, Illinois, and Purdue posted 40+ point shutouts. If that trend continues, it won't be long until we see a push towards schedules that only include P4 (or whatever you want to call it) opponents. No one will be interested for long in continuing to schedule 69-3 games.

I thought that would be the case but its going both ways. Just look at the former sec guys on the southern miss team.

South Carolina struggled with ODU and should have lost, but the other 10 SEC vs G5/FCS teams had a combined score of 592-16. 😲

Yeah barring a total collapse they should sleepwalk into this 12-team playoff

And even if they go 12 and 0 they won't get a bye. Silly IMO. Top 4 teams deserve the byes. All conferences are clearly not created equal (ND obviously not n any conference but point remains on best 4 getting bye).

The funny thing is, I think a and m may have won that game last night if Stoops had been hired. The Duke guy was a bizarre hire to me and in no way a better hire than Stoops would have been.

On the OPs point, I agree with pretty much everything.

The sec is going to be brutal this year and a bigger war than ever before.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
And even if they go 12 and 0 they won't get a bye. Silly IMO. Top 4 teams deserve the byes. All conferences are clearly not created equal (ND obviously not n any conference but point remains on best 4 getting bye).

The funny thing is, I think a and m may have won that game last night if Stoops had been hired. The Duke guy was a bizarre hire to me and in no way a better hire than Stoops would have been.

On the OPs point, I agree with pretty much everything.

The sec is going to be brutal this year and a bigger war than ever before.
ND forfeits the opportunity for a bye by remaining an independent. Their choice.

They didn't forfeit it, they had a chance to achieve it and failed to

The playoff rules at present are stupid. The acc and big 12 champ (or any champ) should not be guaranteed a bye unless they are one of the top 4 ranked teams. Look for this dumb rule to be changed asap when it expands..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT