ADVERTISEMENT

Observations last night

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Just to add on to what has already been posted.....

Andrew Harrison is becoming a totally different player. All year his A/T ratio has been better than last year. That's only part of the story. I think more than ever we are seeing an extra bounce in his step. He just seems to be playing more nimble and fleet footed lately. More than just decreasing the body fat and improving his muscle tone in the offseason, the two years of college experience is showing up and he's a confident, comfortable point guard. He is really starting to pick his spots and with purpose and poise. He's shooting expecting to make it and he's answering the bell at key moments in the game. Really becoming a big asset. Not just looking to draw fouls but looking to find holes in the defense even on the perimeter.

IMO, UK's best "clutch" players are, right now, Andrew Harrison, Lyles and Towns. Not just one or two games. I mean more of a trend line. When UK needs something those are the guys that have stepped up, to my recollection. Maybe just a big rebound but also big baskets and energy. I think in tight games those three players need to be on the court.

Towns reminded me last night of Julius Randle against Michigan State. Though UK lost that game, if you'll remember there was a stretch in the second half when he was just unstoppable. Towns is slowly realizing that he cannot be stopped at the college level when he wants to take over. The really scary thing about Town -- who is, IMO, one of the two most impressive offensive big men I've ever seen at Kentucky as a freshman (the other was Cousins) -- is that he can pass so effectively. I think that's why Cal got so upset when he picked up his fourth. It was a little out of character for Towns to overlook an open man.

One of UK's best offensive sets is when they let Towns have it just above the free throw line facing the basket. He's a 7-footer that you have to run out at guard, and he is skilled enough to take the big running out to him off the dribble and get to the rim. He either hits the jumper, scores/fouled inside, or creates a perfect offensive rebound opportunity.

Lot of people last night were tweeting about UK's defense being non-existent. Georgia scored 64 points. Yeah, they shot 47-percent, but they can be a tough team to defend. Two things stand out about Georgia. They can hit enough from three to space you out, and when you're spaced out they're well coached--they cut, they pass well, they play well together, they attack the basket. Their bigger guys are not especially impressive athletically but even if they don't go up vertically very well, they have wide bodies, use their pump fakes, don't freak out when an 8'5 wing span runs at them, and they use the rim and their body to protect against the block. In short, not many teams are as disciplined in their half court sets although that efficiency has not been there all year for them.

The biggest shot of the game, IMO, was Andrew Harrison's three from the corner when they were down nine. It looks like fate because this team keeps winning but in reality it's the law of averages. Extremely tall, long team can play with focus for 18 of 20 minutes in a half because everyone's always fresh and they're now playing for perfection. Most teams, including UGA at home, cannot sustain that level of focus with UK's length bothering shots, bothering passes, etc.

This game was good practice for a team like Wisconsin or Virginia. Those teams are much better than Georgia and they are different in many respects. But there are some similarities and coupled with it being a road game, it was a great win.

Ulis did not play very well. He even made a couple of somewhat errant, lackadaisical passes. Booker forced things and did not play up to his standards. Lyles was somewhat non-existent for stretches. WCS made a couple of bad "pick your spots" moments trying to put it on the floor - at least one that stands out. Aaron Harrison played okay but not great. The game belonged to Towns and Andrew Harrison. Marcus Lee gave some good timely plays, too. When you have nine guys that are so good the chances are that 3-4 of them will play good enough to step up and win most all the time. You don't need all nine playing well. You don't even need six playing above average. You can deal with one or two playing poorly.

Here are some more positives that I've observed recently:

-- The whole team is really impressive on outlet passes. I'm trying to pinpoint one or two guys, but it's really rare to see so many guys throwing accurate, timely outlet passes that are so consistently leading to points. Normally these are relatively modest success rate plays with a healthy share of out of bounds tosses, overthrows, interceptions, etc. But UK's run outs lately have been resulting in points. That means this team has a lot of great passes and they're also playing with a chemistry because they know who's going to be where.

-- Guys are playing with great body control and awareness. Consider: 6-foot-8 Lyles likes to attack the paint from the corner, and how many charges is he being called for? Towns did charge once last night, but he is normally striking an awesome balance between initiating contact and giving the old wide receiver push-off/separation and not extending so as to avoid the charge. And on top of that, WCS and Towns are both doing a great job of not pushing off on rebounds and just letting their size and length lead to boards even when they're not in great position.

-- Marcus Lee is not one of the more heralded players on the roster but I cannot think of one player that has (1) sacrificed more, (2) consistently brings such reliable energy, (3) makes more timely plays as a % of his overall plays, and (4) plays within his given role and strengths.

-- On the flip side, Dakari has regressed. I said it earlier this year. This is coming from a person (that's me), mind you, that was extremely high on Dakari last year. Higher on him than most. Even when he was just so-so as a freshman I saw in him a potentially awesome back to the basket traditional offensive force that moves his feet nimbly and uses the backboard. Lately it has become obvious to me that he is not nearly the asset Kentucky's other bigs are. This isn't really a knock on his effort or what he's doing so much as a statement as to the limitations of a traditional center in the way Kentucky is playing. When he gets the ball he is not going up with it or passing quickly enough to sustain the offense's flow. It is getting stuck with him and he's ultimately forcing shots that are of a high degree of difficulty. He's also having more trouble getting clean looks and even getting his shot off because I think opponents know they can come at him hard and create problems.

I think he would be well served to return for another year. Next year's team will have a very different make up and character and may be more of a high-low team that plays in the half court. Maybe. He could actually help his stock if that's how things turn out.

Going into the postseason here are the 'danger' areas for UK, IMO. And I am stretching it here because this team is outstanding, as you know I believe.

-- If a guy is not feeling it, he needs to give it up. This team is unselfish, but at times, if we're really stretching to critique, Booker can say, "OK, tonight's not my night. I'm just going to spot up in the corner and wait 'til I'm wide open," rather than forcing something.

-- WCS needs to stop putting the ball on the floor. I'm probably making too big a deal of this but it's just as glaring to me as Aaron Harrison's habit earlier this year (not so much anymore) of shooting way off balance jumpers.

-- Once in a while on switches guys are getting lost on backdoor cuts near the basket and they just have to tighten up the awareness on that, because one or two oversights in a close game late can be the difference.

And frankly, guys, I really can't think about anything else. That's pretty scary.
This post was edited on 3/4 7:07 AM by JRowland

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News