ADVERTISEMENT

Observations From the 34 yard line

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
1. It is Oh So Nice when a Kentucky D-lineman breaks through the line to have flashbacks to 45 years of watching SEC football, and realizing just how much Saunders, Oxendine, Weaver and company look like the bigguns at schools
like LSU, Bama and Georgia. It took Stoops a while, but he has built an SEC program with SEC players.

2. Where was Deone Walker? I haven’t watched a replay yet, but I suspect the biggun’ spent the day absorbing double and triple teams, freeing Saunders and others for their big plays.

3. I actually kind of yawned while watching special teams. Last year I was in prayer. Clean snaps, 46 yard field goals and clean punts!! Good Special teams are the foundation of teams that accomplish special things!

4. Leary. He probably wouldn’t rate this game in his top 10, but he was more
than solid and productive, and he was fairly nimble avoiding the rush.

If his first game back from near-crippling injury left you wanting more, sit tight, and yeah shall receive!

The pick on the quick slant: a beautiful defensive play of timing and execution. We might see another defense leaning inside on a future slant, and see a pump fake freeing a WR for glory!!

5. Barion Brown. I’m glad he plays for us. He could be returning kicks for Bama or Georgia, but looks great in Blue.

6. Dane Key. How many yards could this guy rack up if the offense really focused on him? He makes the pretty catches, and he makes the gritty, leaning backwards, arse-over-tea-kettle grabs.

7. O-line. A solid performance. I have read no posts, and do not know the severity of Horsey’s injury. And I have to learn more about the Ray kid who came in. Still, given total yardage, and Leary’s clean jersey, everybody on the front must have played well.

8. Davis. No, he will never have the ability to physically dominate the college game like Crod.

But he gets his a different way.

He goes down with the first solid contact. But putting solid contact on him is the problem. He has good lateral moves and is faster to top speed than Crod, Snell, etc.

9. Last Score. I didn’t think I’d live to see a Stoops team run a final play against a MAC school, instead of taking a knee.

And having lived long enough, I’m glad the first example went the distance.

10. Ball State’s QB and receivers: Hats off. An accurate thrower, who made some hay in the gaps of our zone.

11. The Two Fumbles and Returns. They screwed us on one. Stoops got a piece of the refs arse. Still watch the physical nature of the plays causing the fumbles. Each were tackles so violent that human bodies that had been dedicated to holding a football, suddenly forgot to hold onto the football.

12. Trevin Wallace. Go back to paragraph one, above. Wherever I said “SEC Defensive Lineman,” substitute “SEC Linebacker.”

1. It is Oh So Nice when a Kentucky D-lineman breaks through the line to have flashbacks to 45 years of watching SEC football, and realizing just how much Saunders, Oxendine, Weaver and company look like the bigguns at schools
like LSU, Bama and Georgia. It took Stoops a while, but he has built an SEC program with SEC players.

2. Where was Deone Walker? I haven’t watched a replay yet, but I suspect the biggun’ spent the day absorbing double and triple teams, freeing Saunders and others for their big plays.

3. I actually kind of yawned while watching special teams. Last year I was in prayer. Clean snaps, 46 yard field goals and clean punts!! Good Special teams are the foundation of teams that accomplish special things!

If his first game back from near-crippling injury left you wanting more, sit tight, and yeah shall receive!

The pick on the quick slant: a beautiful defensive play of timing and execution. We might see another defense leaning inside on a future slant, and see a pump fake freeing a WR for glory!!

5. Barion Brown. I’m glad he plays for us. He could be returning kicks for Bama or Georgia, but looks great in Blue.

6. Dane Key. How many yards could this guy rack up if the offense really focused on him? He makes the pretty catches, and he makes the gritty, leaning backwards, arse-over-tea-kettle grabs.

7. O-line. A solid performance. I have read no posts, and do not know the severity of Horsey’s injury. And I have to learn more about the Ray kid who came in. Still, given total yardage, and Leary’s clean jersey, everybody on the front must have played well.

8. Davis. No, he will never have the ability to physically dominate the college game like Crod.

He goes down with the first solid contact. But putting solid contact on him is the problem. He has good lateral moves and is faster to top speed than Crod, Snell, etc.

9. Last Score. I didn’t think I’d live to see a Stoops team run a final play against a MAC school, instead of taking a knee.

10. Ball State’s QB and receivers: Hats off. An accurate thrower, who made some hay in the gaps of our zone.

11. The Two Fumbles and Returns. They screwed us on one. Stoops got a piece of the refs arse. Still watch the physical nature of the plays causing the fumbles. Each were tackles so violent that human bodies that had been dedicated to holding a football, suddenly forgot to hold onto the football.

12. Trevin Wallace. Go back to paragraph one, above. Wherever I said “SEC Defensive Lineman,” substitute “SEC Linebacker.”
Thanks for the observations! There was a lot of good and some bad, but when you win by 30 what’s to complain about? Maybe our pass defense.

Well done Hack! Your post was spot on.

Pretty sure Deone Walker injured one of Ball State's players. He's a bad man who plays hungry. I noticed on the TV screen that Deone's helmet has dimples in it like a golf ball. Maybe that's where his speed comes from – aerodynamicism....

One thing I can’t figure out is why do they not get brown the ball in space more, they send him on a lot of deep routes, when they should just be getting him the ball in space

Last edited:
Great post Hack. I had to keep up on radio and Yahoo sports. Hoping Horsey is okay but it didn't sound promising. O line depth is gonna be a hard pill I'm afraid. Time will tell on Leary...coming back from a bad bad injury and a bunch of time off with a whole new team, o line and on and on showed.
Special teams was a real pleasing change. I was crossing my fingers every kick and return last year.

Reactions: cathouse
I was there and share some similar observations as OP but also noticed a few other things…

Why we didn’t involve TE more in the play calling surprised me. We have a dearth of talent there but only made that a focus on a couple of plays. I also noticed that Leary threw to spots and led receivers more than Levis who seemed to throw behind receivers and squeeze into tighter spaces. The timing was off but you can see how this could really become a positive in weeks ahead.

Im glad we have EKU and Akron and to iron out some kinks before SEC play begins in earnest.

Vandy won’t be some walk over game. UK will have to show up and focus that day!

I was there and share some similar observations as OP but also noticed a few other things…

Why we didn’t involve TE more in the play calling surprised me. We have a dearth of talent there but only made that a focus on a couple of plays. I also noticed that Leary threw to spots and led receivers more than Levis who seemed to throw behind receivers and squeeze into tighter spaces. The timing was off but you can see how this could really become a positive in weeks ahead.

Im glad we have EKU and Akron and to iron out some kinks before SEC play begins in earnest.

We went to them a decent amount of time.

We only had like 51 plays. Of that was probably 30 passes. Huge rpo to Bates. Threw deep to Cummings (tough catch but dropped). Threw back of the end zone to Bates, who didn't really challenge for the ball. Tried dingle on a route where there was a pressure.

That's just from the top of my head. Probably missed one or two. Unfortunately, unless the game specifically provides the opportunity, doubt there will be many more balls for that room per 50 snaps.

Dingle was wide open on the 3rd down that ended the first drive. Unfortunately Horsey didn’t get a hand on a guy and then Davis blocked him too late so Leary had to throw it early.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

Spot on.. good on ya mate!

Pretty sure Deone Walker injured one of Ball State's players. He's a bad man who plays hungry. I noticed on the TV screen that Deone's helmet has dimples in it like a golf ball. Maybe that's where his speed comes from – aerodynamicism....
On the Ball State touchdown pass, Walker was an inch away from the QB destruction. Surprised me with how quickly he moves.

Well said. I heard Freddie M say the interception was a miscommunication that the WR was supposed to sit rather than slant. Can't say for certain if that was true, but he knows a lot more than I do. Also, with Leary, I loved how he didn't get happy feet. He seems to have a knack for knowing, down to an inch, how much room he has and side steps just enough to parry any blows while keeping his eyes downfield.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
One thing I can’t figure out is why do they not get brown the ball in space more, they send him on a lot of deep routes, when they should just be getting him the ball in space
He dropped the easy swing pass in the first quarter that looked like it would have been a TD and he probably got put in the dog house a bit as punishment.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23

It's a fair point, but I would also point out that we had two TDs without the offense and essentially a third score from a short field, so we only had 51 offensive snaps which means every position group got less attention than desired. They probably want to have 65-70 snaps.

We went to them a decent amount of time.

We only had like 51 plays. Of that was probably 30 passes. Huge rpo to Bates. Threw deep to Cummings (tough catch but dropped). Threw back of the end zone to Bates, who didn't really challenge for the ball. Tried dingle on a route where there was a pressure.

That's just from the top of my head. Probably missed one or two. Unfortunately, unless the game specifically provides the opportunity, doubt there will be many more balls for that room per 50 snaps.
Typed my response before I got down to yours, but similar thoughts.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Dingle was wide open on the 3rd down that ended the first drive. Unfortunately Horsey didn’t get a hand on a guy and then Davis blocked him too late so Leary had to throw it early.
Horsey effed that one up. They rushed four against our five and had three on his side of the center and he chose to block down and double team the DT and let the DT he was supposed to block run free. Davis was running to the right to key on their LB and luckily saw the **** up which kept Leary from winding up on a stretcher. Not sure how anyone, especially given his experience, could mess that up.

I love these post-game posts. Worthy successor to the old UKERIK posts. Hard to disagree with any of it. I was least impressed with Ray Davis, seems smaller than I remember and didn't get many yards after contact. I remembered him as more of a CROD type of back, but that's not what he seems to be.

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack and Davae9
I love these post-game posts. Worthy successor to the old UKERIK posts. Hard to disagree with any of it. I was least impressed with Ray Davis, seems smaller than I remember and didn't get many yards after contact. I remembered him as more of a CROD type of back, but that's not what he seems to be.
whatever happened to UKErick?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT