ADVERTISEMENT

Observations from the 34 yard line

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
(1) Miami played a small/fast D-line game plan to near perfection. When someone ends up
In your quarterback’s lap that often and that quickly, you moan and bitch (at least I do,) but you would like to see it, again, in slow motion to see how they came so clean.

And like good “slight-of-hand” card tricks, really good “stunts and twists” need to be seen in slow motion to be understood. Without seeing a replay, I think the guy/position getting to Levis the most should have been the responsibility of our left guard. I think it was the DE on that side cutting in behind his DT and pulling it off quickly and smoothly, and catching our left guard flat-footed.

I assume there were blitzes up the gut mixed in that got home, too.

I stand to be corrected after watching the replays.

Yeah, and several of our players will be watching those replays A LOT. We weren’t being pancaked; we were literally being tricked, and kudos to those capable of doing it.

(2) The Naked Boot Leg. Yeah, they had a safety, corner or end crash it every time. Kudos to their prep. I don’t think we can say there were missed assignments, as it typically is “naked,” or without a blocker to clip that speed rusher: instead, he’s supposed to be fooled into crashing down.

We got hurt with naked bootlegs last year, too.

Maybe our alignment signals it? Or maybe we have encountered 20 coaches in a row who have schooled the guy sealing the edge on the left of the defense TO NEVER GET FOOLED BY THE NAKED BOOTLEG?

And maybe we run it against Georgia, and suck the edge setter 20 yards to the inside?

Sometimes it’s just a football thang.

(3) Newcomers’ Night at Kroger. I expected a Sophomore from Frederick Douglas High School to score our last TD, or at least that”s the only way our youth movement could have been any more stunning. Sure, we all knew Barron Brown, Tavion Robinson, Dane Key and Alex Afari would play . . . but to look mid-season sharp?!?!?

I did not expect either of the twins to play, but damn, he’s a year and a half ahead of where Josh Allen was as a true frosh (and don’t misinterpret what I just said).

(4) Oh, The Biggun. Yeah, I look down early in the game and notice that Justin Rogers and Octavious Oxendine look like safeties standing next to Deone Walker. They doubled him, they doubled him and chipped a back into him at times. And even though they came to the mountain, the mountain kept coming to them.

Let’s just say that (1) God is Great, (2) beer is good, (3) people are crazy, and (4) we have Deone Walker and no one else does.

We’ll be able to say it this year and two more, max.

ENJOY HIM.

(5) Ruffalo. He’s still perfect from inside 35 for his career, and his 50 yarder would have been good from 55/60. You can tell he has his teammates respect. But he’s older than half the coaching staff, so there’s that . . . .

(6) Levis. He’s tough. He showed more dedication to checking down before running, absorbed multiple hits from beautifully executed stunts, had a top 50 All-Time UK football game at QB, and I’m sure he would say it was just “so-so.” And for his abilities on special nights, it was just “so-so.”

Hence his value.

(7) Barion Brown. Yep. He’s all that, and more. When he turns a corner, he turns a corner. The kicker had him squared up against the sideline with “the angle,” dove, . . . and caught nothing but the air recently stirred by Brown’s brief presence.

Damn.

(8) Chauncey Magwood. I cannot imagine the difficulty in transitioning from high school to college football. Even for the most talented, there have to be frustrations and moments of self-doubt. So, it is really cool to see a guy you know has worked hard standing so alone, and grabbing such an “easy” throw for his first TD. Maybe it’s God’s way of showing appreciation for the tougher moments of development. And at this point in his career, CM is “up one” on Lynn Bowden for TD receptions!!

(9) The Defense. They put it all together after the first drive, holding a quality MAC opponent to lesser points than we have averaged surrendering to our OOC opponents during our nation-leading winning streak against OOC opponents (16.6). It’s a long season, but this performance might just be the beginning of a top 10/15 national ranking in scoring defense.

And nobody better bad-mouth Carrington V. Sure, he had two PI calls on one drive! But how many TD’s did they score on that drive? A good corner is like George Washington: he can lose battles while winning wars!

(1) Miami played a small/fast D-line game plan to near perfection. When someone ends up
In your quarterback’s lap that often and that quickly, you moan and bitch (at least I do,) but you would like to see it, again, in slow motion to see how they came so clean.

And like good “slight-of-hand” card tricks, really good “stunts and twists” need to be seen in slow motion to be understood. Without seeing a replay, I think the guy/position getting to Levis the most should have been the responsibility of our left guard. I think it was the DE on that side cutting in behind his DT and pulling it off quickly and smoothly, and catching our left guard flat-footed.

Yeah, and several of our players will be watching those replays A LOT. We weren’t being pancaked; we were literally being tricked, and kudos to those capable of doing it.

(2) The Naked Boot Leg. Yeah, they had a safety, corner or end crash it every time. Kudos to their prep. I don’t think we can say there were missed assignments, as it typically is “naked,” or without a blocker to clip that speed rusher: instead, he’s supposed to be fooled into crashing down.

Maybe our alignment signals it? Or maybe we have encountered 20 coaches in a row who have schooled the guy sealing the edge on the left of the defense TO NEVER GET FOOLED BY THE NAKED BOOTLEG?

And maybe we run it against Georgia, and suck the edge setter 20 yards to the inside?

(3) Newcomers’ Night at Kroger. I expected a Sophomore from Frederick Douglas High School to score our last TD, or at least that”s the only way our youth movement could have been any more stunning. Sure, we all knew Barron Brown, Tavion Robinson, Dane Key and Alex Afari would play . . . but to look mid-season sharp?!?!?

I did not expect either of the twins to play, but damn, he’s a year and a half ahead of where Josh Allen was as a true frosh (and don’t misinterpret what I just said).

(4) Oh, The Biggun. Yeah, I look down early in the game and notice that Justin Rogers and Octavious Oxendine look like safeties standing next to Deone Walker. They doubled him, they doubled him and chipped a back into him at times. And even though they came to the mountain, the mountain kept coming to them.

Let’s just say that (1) God is Great, (2) beer is good, (3) people are crazy, and (4) we have Deone Walker and no one else does.

ENJOY HIM.

(5) Ruffalo. He’s still perfect from inside 35 for his career, and his 50 yarder would have been good from 55/60. You can tell he has his teammates respect. But he’s older than half the coaching staff, so there’s that . . . .

(6) Levis. He’s tough. He showed more dedication to checking down before running, absorbed multiple hits from beautifully executed stunts, had a top 50 All-Time UK football game at QB, and I’m sure he would say it was just “so-so.” And for his abilities on special nights, it was just “so-so.”

Hence his value.

(7) Barion Brown. Yep. He’s all that, and more. When he turns a corner, he turns a corner. The kicker had him squared up against the sideline with “the angle,” dove, . . . and caught nothing but the air recently stirred by Brown’s brief presence.

Damn.

(8) Chauncey Magwood. I cannot imagine the difficulty in transitioning from high school to college football. Even for the most talented, there have to be frustrations and moments of self-doubt. So, it is really cool to see a guy you know has worked hard standing so alone, and grabbing such an “easy” throw for his first TD. Maybe it’s God’s way of showing appreciation for the tougher moments of development. And at this point in his career, CM is “up one” on Lynn Bowden for TD receptions!!

(9) The Defense. They put it all together after the first drive, holding a quality MAC opponent to lesser points than we have averaged surrendering to our OOC opponents during our nation-leading winning streak against OOC opponents (16.6). It’s a long season, but this performance might just be the beginning of a top 10/15 national ranking in scoring defense.

And nobody better bad-mouth Carrington V. Sure, he had two PI calls on one drive! But how many TD’s did they score on that drive? A good corner is like George Washington: he can lose battles while winning wars!
Well freakin said... I agree with every word.. usually do..

ENJOY HIM.

Hence his value.

Damn.

The first PI on Valentine was pure BS. The second, not so much.

Kentucky got off to a slow start but outscored the Redhawks 30-6 over the last 3 quarters. That gives me hope heading to UF which my be our toughest road game of the season all things considered.

Damn man. I love your write up. Good shit.

Haven’t had time to watch again but was hoping it was missed assignments on the line and not physical.

Bootleg not fooling anyone and yes the true Frosh delivered!

ENJOY HIM.

Hence his value.

Damn.

(9) The Defense. They put it all together after the firaugh st drive, holding a quality MAC opponent to lesser points than we have averaged surrendering to our OOC opponents during our nation-leading winning streak against OOC opponents (16.6). It’s a long season, but this performance might just be the beginning of a top 10/15 national ranking in scoring defense.

1. Jager and Wohlbaugh were both a complete mess most of the entire night. Yes the stunts were a struggle for them but Wohlbaugh simply isn't quick enough (maybe he is thinking instead of just playing). But thy got beat on stunts...and then they go beat directly by their man straight up. We're going to need to cover the left side with a TE a ton more to help them out. I'd also point out the RB (Smoke in particular) gave up at least 2 sacks/hits on Levis.
2. I don't know why any Josh Allen Keaton Wade comparison is made......but you see what you see.. I'd just be happy with a Boogie Watson edge rusher comparison
3. I agree the young skilled spots really shined out there....this last class is going to be better than even the high rating was
4. I get the D held the score down better in 2nd half...and credit to them. But I just wasn't impressed with the unit to be honest. Not terrible but I don't see a better D than last year and I see some getting torched this year. I don't see a power/burst from Rogers like we did at times with Bully and Bohanna. I think Rybka/Saunders is a step back from Paschal. I'd like to see Deonne Walker at NG, Ox is really good DT and we figure out DE. Still no edge pass rush either. I love the LB core though...really good unit.

ENJOY HIM.

Hence his value.

Damn.

The only person who saw the first PI on Carrington was the official who called it. The Ball had crossed the boundary long before it got the receiver. Should have been ruled uncatchable.

ENJOY HIM.

Hence his value.

Damn.

Bro, you are like a magician with your word play. I absolutely love reading your posts. Lol

Not only is your post a good evaluation of football, it's well-written! I'm just not sure there's a place for that kind of thing in social media!
Seriously, great write up! Go Cats!

Reactions: The-Hack
Horsey definitely in at LG next week. Wonder if this performance will get Burford a 2nd look at L tackle.

I saw a D that got marched on for 1st drive, then the coached recognized the O scheme and what they were trying to do, adjusted. Only surrendered 2 field goals next 3 1/2 quarters. Now we add Wallace & Wright.

Jager and Wohlbaugh were both a complete mess most of the entire night.

Agree. They couldn't pick up stunts and wohl was solidly beaten straight up at least three times. Once being a bull rush that drove him back into Levi's causing a sack. Maybe they can clean up stunts, but LT is an issue for us. Kid just isn't ready. He's just a freshman so that's ok but it's scary to think he might be the best option

Reactions: wildcatwelder
The Naked Boot Leg. Yeah, they had a safety, corner or end crash it every time. Kudos to their prep. I don’t think we can say there were missed assignments, as it typically is “naked,” or without a blocker to clip that speed rusher: instead, he’s supposed to be fooled into crashing down.

Pretty obvious they wanted to take away that boot. Kudos to them for doing it. Also kudos to scang for getting away from it.

Scang called a nice game imo indicative of who he is. Really solid calls but nothing that really jumps out. Also saw only one action that was solely to put on film and we'll come back to later in the year. It was the weird looking jet action early. He's really solid but he isn't coen. I hope people realize how truly elite coen was at not only calling games but putting stuff in tape to take advantage of down the road. Maybe scang was holding back to let it rip vs Florida? Doubt it but we'll see

Oh, The Biggun. Yeah, I look down early in the game and notice that Justin Rogers and Octavious Oxendine look like safeties standing next to Deone Walker. They doubled him, they doubled him and chipped a back into him at times. And even though they came to the mountain, the mountain kept coming to them.

He's definitely a player. Defense needs to send a lbr though on passes because those guys don't get a rush at all. Honestly I think walker and Rogers need to switch positions.

Barion Brown. Yep. He’s all that, and more. When he turns a corner, he turns a corner. The kicker had him squared up against the sideline with “the angle,” dove, . . . and caught nothing but the air recently stirred by Brown’s brief presence.

Truly an elite athlete. Busted at least two angles on that run. Has good vision. Kid's special. We haven't seen an athlete at UK like that in a long time.

He's definitely a player. Defense needs to send a lbr though on passes because those guys don't get a rush at all. Honestly I think walker and Rogers need to switch positions

This all day long

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Great write up Hack! I never read posts that long, but I read yours, may read it again. Man, can Brown run or what. I figured he'd get shoved out of bounds turning the corner, couldn't get it done! I can't wait to see that other kid that's faster. Speed kills!!!
Brown's a burner for sure. I hope Stoops makes him run a few stadium stairs for almost spiking the ball on the one yard line.

He's definitely a player. Defense needs to send a lbr though on passes because those guys don't get a rush at all. Honestly I think walker and Rogers need to switch positions

This all day long
You do realize our defense a 3-4 , 3-3-5 those big guys up front are there to occupy space and blockers. Your pash rush is going to have to come from LBs.

You do realize our defense a 3-4 , 3-3-5 those big guys up front are there to occupy space and blockers. Your pash rush is going to have to come from LBs.

In some years we had some special players like Calvin Taylor or Josh paschal that could still get pressure. Even bully was really disruptive with his explosion off the line. We just don't have that. We'll need to rush 4 to get any pressure at all.

afari is a player. With he and Geiger, we should be much more aggressive at coming up on the catch. Big change from dort.

Add in vito and you'll have a really aggressive bunch next year.

I still think Rogers is playing out of position.

I think the staff wanted to reward smoke but imo he was noticably the least productive which is why they kept moving on from him even as injuries stacked up

Upshaw was passed up which tells you the talent of that room

For those worried about twists & stunts - Stoops blatantly said in the post-game they wanted to focus on drop back passing game yesterday. To season and get experience for freshman and transfer Tavian.

The offensive game plan and script is going to be MUCH different next week. Coach Scan coming from San Fran & Shanahan has running game concepts that CFB simply has zero experience handling.

Concerning Levis the radio guys says he is still locking in on one receiver at times. Said the interception he had his mind made up where he was going and didn't look anywhere else. And the one TD pass was lucky not intercepted because the defender was there but the pass was so fast couldn't react to it. Two passes to the TE's should have been caught and that would have added to his stats.

Walker catching people from behind at that size, going to be hard to keep him off the field. Same for Afari and Wade, they are just more talented and football savy than some older guys. Stoops mad about the soft zone on the backside and the OL. A couple of things he seemed irate about. Would like to see Wright (strength) and Drennen (speed) getting more carries. But having to pass from the one yard line instead of just pounding it in is concerning.

Obviously we held back a lot for Florida. A week of practice under these coaches after that, we should be better Saturday. The OL can only go up from here.

Reactions: The-Hack
For those worried about twists & stunts - Stoops blatantly said in the post-game they wanted to focus on drop back passing game yesterday. To season and get experience for freshman and transfer Tavian.

The offensive game plan and script is going to be MUCH different next week. Coach Scan coming from San Fran & Shanahan has running game concepts that CFB simply has zero experience handling.

If so that's even worse imo because stunts and blitz pickups should've been a focus.

Concerning Levis the radio guys says he is still locking in on one receiver at times. Said the interception he had his mind made up where he was going and didn't look anywhere else.
He was supposed to lock in on that play, it was a pick to get TE open at front corner of the end zone. Will hesitated- if he stands up and throws high to the spot it is an uncontested TD. The DB read his eyes and broke hard on the play that took way to long to deliver.

Levis will learn from it, as you said the throw to Key in the 2nd half was so hard it was impossible for the DB to get.

Yeah, we knew they could not go head to head with OL outweighing them so much. Two more smaller programs to go, better get it fixed.
Someone said Florida would twist is to death.

Not necessarily. Programs with bigger, stronger D-lines usually play more “straight up” in the 3-4, letting backers, safeties and corners blitz from unpredictable angles.

I think UF will play 3-4.

Reactions: maroon79

ENJOY HIM.

Hence his value.

Damn.

Well done

Pretty obvious they wanted to take away that boot. Kudos to them for doing it. Also kudos to scang for getting away from it.

Scang called a nice game imo indicative of who he is. Really solid calls but nothing that really jumps out. Also saw only one action that was solely to put on film and we'll come back to later in the year. It was the weird looking jet action early. He's really solid but he isn't coen. I hope people realize how truly elite coen was at not only calling games but putting stuff in tape to take advantage of down the road. Maybe scang was holding back to let it rip vs Florida? Doubt it but we'll see

He's definitely a player. Defense needs to send a lbr though on passes because those guys don't get a rush at all. Honestly I think walker and Rogers need to switch positions.

Truly an elite athlete. Busted at least two angles on that run. Has good vision. Kid's special. We haven't seen an athlete at UK like that in a long time.
Since like Lynn Bowden Jr.
Dane Key brings outstanding hands to the table. Kid makes some circus catches. Gonna be fun to watch.

Since like Lynn Bowden Jr.
Dane Key brings outstanding hands to the table. Kid makes some circus catches. Gonna be fun to watch.

If lynn had this kid's wheels, he would've been a first rounder. Brown's field speed is elite especially at that size.

Tayvion reminds me much more of lynn than wandale. Wandale was so sudden and quick. Tayvion and Lynn were just so patient and have a great feel; while also lacking top end speed.

Reactions: vhcat70
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT