ADVERTISEMENT

Observations From the 33rd Yard Line.

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
(1) The ending was what I wanted, buuut, I think everyone . . . players, coaches, cheerleaders,, fans . . . walked away with that odd feeling that we “left a lot of money on the table.” Others have said it: Stoops’ culture change is stunning when the first topic of conversation, everywhere, is we didn’t demolish them.

(2) Their Last Drive: I made the noise, etc., but when they took over after the blocked field goal, I literally asked myself if I was concerned they could do it. The internal “gut” answer came back “no.”

That Mizzou offense of quick dinks and dunks is good at avoiding the pass rush, and good at creating 3rd downs and less than 5 yards, but it eats clock. Yes, they scored in the final two minutes of the first half, but they showed us their 2 minute offense, then. All we had to do was get one big TFL or Sack, and create a need for conversion on a longer play. Mizzou just doesn’t have a consistent ability to beat a 3rd and 15, or a 4th and 15.

(3) The heavy package. I’ve never seen a real good description of it, I think some call it “22 personnel,” but when we bring in two TE’s and stack WR’s right next to the line, I expect the stadium to tilt toward our LOS. The only college teams I remember that could just overwhelm you with beef were Arkansas with Houston Nutt and Wisconsin since the 90’s. It tends to work pretty good.

(4) Liam Coen. Whenever I hear the guy interviewed, he reminds me of that real smart kid in school that had a streak of smartass and meanness . . . . you know . . . . the one that would have been voted “Most Likely to Blow Some Sh!t Up Someday.” Usually, “that kid” isn’t an athlete: Coen played high school and college football, and the rest is history. His responses post-game were classic . . . “We don’t pass the ball just to be passing the ball . . . we ran to win the game.”

(5) Walking out of the stadium, I told my brother “we passed for more than 300 yards, again,” but then I started analyzing it. I decided Wan’ Dale’s first big play was a handoff, and that we had probably rushed for 300 yards. Still, when your passes are typically longer than 20 yards, it creates a greater impression of passing yards than you actually have.

(6) CRod. How long has it been since we had a running back over 200 yards? I’m certain the question was answered somewhere in the press, today (Sunday). But like the game outcome of the game, Crod’s effort left lots of room for improvement. Maybe new gloves are in order?!?!

(7) Our Defense. That Mizzou offense is like an annoying neighbor . . . annoying and close enough to always be a nuisance, but ultimately no real threat. We got little pressure on the QB, until he actually needed time for pass patterns longer than 3 yards to develop on the final drive.

Kudos to the defense for not having a lot of late hit penalties out of frustration.

(8) Levis. I loved the running play when he tried to bait the defender as he went easily into the endzone, then strutted for the crowd. He’s a fun presence, and loves the game. I thought he got a bad spot on the play just before the blocked field goal.

(9) Wan’ Dale. He just gives an offense another gear. I scratch my head and wonder how Coach Frost had a player of those dimensions at tailback, instead of on the edge?!?! And I guess the operative word, here, is “had!”

(10) Our Crowd/Atmosphere.

We don’t have all the pregame traditions of some schools. If you’ve never seen “Mike the Tiger” or whatever they call the strutting, pregame song in Baton Rouge, or the 20 minute pregame choreography of the exhausting pregame in Columbia, South Carolina, you might not know what I’m talking about.

But our crowd noise level since the last reduction seems to have increased. That huge structure of press boxes and luxury boxes helps hold the sound in, I assume.

I noticed I could not hear my brother shouting one foot from me.

Then I noticed I couldn’t hear myself shouting back.

Last edited:
Yeah It was ROCKING LOAD that's for sure.

I knew it was going to special when I walked in with 20 minutes to go until kickoff, and it was already 70 percent full, even in the student section. Our tradition is to arrive late, compared to most SEC schools, but we are getting better.

Reactions: warrior_SW
Re CRod/200+ yards...without researching it I'd think Bowden's magical 2019 year was the last 200+ yard game, maybe vs U6?

CRod has now established himself as being fumble prone, sure the word's out. He needs to be aware, and I'm sure he is, teams will now start to attempting to strip the ball...lots of poking, grabbing, slapping in his future.

I'd think Bowden's magical 2019 year was the last 200+ yard game, maybe vs U6?

It was a trick question: I said “running back.” I think Bowden had 200+ against VPI in the Belk Bowl, and he had about 863 yards rushing against U of L . . . but at running back, I really don’t know.

Reactions: TIE543 and cat89jd
"That Mizzou offense is like an annoying neighbor . . . annoying and close enough to always be a nuisance, but ultimately no real threat."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are "mature" enough to remember, doesn't Coach Dink (no way I am spelling that) remind you of Eddie Haskell???

It was a trick question: I said “running back.” I think Bowden had 200+ against VPI in the Belk Bowl, and he had about 863 yards rushing against U of L . . . but at running back, I really don’t know.
Moe Williams vs. USCjr?

Reactions: bluecoon1
(1) The ending was what I wanted, buuut, I think everyone . . . players, coaches, cheerleaders,, fans . . . walked away with that odd feeling that we “left a lot of money on the table.” Others have said it: Stoops’ culture change is stunning when the first topic of conversation, everywhere, is we didn’t demolish them.

(2) Their Last Drive: I made the noise, etc., but when they took over after the blocked field goal, I literally asked myself if I was concerned they could do it. The internal answer came back “no.”

That Mizzou offense of quick dinks and dunks is good at avoiding the pass rush, and good at creating 3rd downs and less than 5 yards, but it eats clock. Yes, they scored in the final two minutes of the first half, but they showed us their 2 minute offense, then. All we had to do was get one big TFL or Sack, and create a need for conversion on a longer play. Mizzou just doesn’t have a consistent ability to beat a 3rd and 15, or a 4th and 15.

(3) The heavy package. I’ve never seen a real good description of it, I think some call it “22 personnel,” but when we bring in two TE’s and stack WR’s right next to the line, I expect the stadium to tilt toward our LOS. The only college teams I remember that could just overwhelm you with beef were Arkansas with Houston Nutt and Wisconsin since the 90’s. It tends to work pretty good.

(4) Liam Coen. Whenever I hear the guy interviewed, he reminds me of that real smart kid in school that had a streak of smartass and meanness . . . . you know . . . . the one that would have been voted “Most Likely to Blow Some Sh!t Up Someday.” Usually, “that kid” isn’t an athlete: Coen played high school and college football, and the rest is history. His responses post-game were classic . . . “We don’t pass the ball just to be passing the ball . . . we ran to win the game.”

(5) Walking out of the stadium, I told my brother “we passed for more than 300 yards, again,” but then I started analyzing it. I decided Wan’ Dale’s first big play was a handoff, and that we had probably rushed for 300 yards. Still, when your passes are typically longer than 20 yards, it creates a greater impression of passing yards than you actually have.

(6) CRod. How long has it been since we had a running back over 200 yards? I’m certain the question was answered somewhere in the press, today (Sunday). But like the game outcome of the game, Crod’s effort left lots of room for improvement. Maybe new gloves are in order?!?!

(7) Our Defense. That Mizzou offense is like an annoying neighbor . . . annoying and close enough to always be a nuisance, but ultimately no real threat. We got little pressure on the QB, until he actually needed time for pass patterns longer than 3 yards to develop on the final drive.

Kudos to the defense for not having a lot of late hit penalties out of frustration.

(8) Levis. I loved the running play when he tried to bait the defender as he went easily into the endzone, then strutted for the crowd. He’s a fun presence, and loves the game. I thought he got a bad spot on the play just before the blocked field goal.

(9) Wan’ Dale. He just gives an offense another gear. I scratch my head and wonder how Coach Frost had a player of those dimensions at tailback, instead of on the edge?!?! And I guess the operative word, here, is “had!”

(10) Our Crowd/Atmosphere.

We don’t have all the pregame traditions of some schools. If you’ve never seen “Mike the Tiger” or whatever they call the strutting, pregame song in Baton Rouge, or the 20 minute pregame choreography of the exhausting pregame in Columbia, South Carolina, you might not know what I’m talking about.

But our crowd noise level since the last reduction seems to have increased. That huge structure of press boxes and luxury boxes helps hold the sound in, I assume.

I noticed I could not hear my brother shouting one foot from me.

Then I noticed I couldn’t hear myself shouting back.
Nice write-up, Hack!
Very nice!!
That was a good read!

Reactions: The-Hack
Not sure how they gave CRod 4 TDs. Cox definitely had the last one.

[From UK Notes] Chris’s 331 rushing yards is a school record for a UK player in the first two games of a season. That is impressive. He also has the second longest rushing TD game streak in the history of UK, at 5. He is the first player since Benny Snell in 2018 to rush for 100 yards in each of the first two games.

Not sure how they gave CRod 4 TDs. Cox definitely had the last one.

The call on the field was a TD CRod.

The SEC reviewers were bound to have seen the fumble, but given that Eli Cox recovered, likely said, “why waste 5 minutes to confirm the touchdown, to just change the credit for who scored it.”

All linemen need to be as heads up as Cox . . . .

Re CRod/200+ yards...without researching it I'd think Bowden's magical 2019 year was the last 200+ yard game, maybe vs U6?

CRod has now established himself as being fumble prone, sure the word's out. He needs to be aware, and I'm sure he is, teams will now start to attempting to strip the ball...lots of poking, grabbing, slapping in his future.
Evidently, we only have to worry about Chris fumbling into the end zone. He carries 27 times and drags players all over the field and pushes piles from the middle of the scrum and, yet, he only wants to let it go when he get to the brink. I think we need a sport psychologist to discover his issue or someone needs to see who might be sitting in that end zone distracting him.

The call on the field was a TD CRod.

The SEC reviewers were bound to have seen the fumble, but given that Eli Cox recovered, likely said, “why waste 5 minutes to confirm the touchdown, to just change the credit for who scored it.”

All linemen need to be as heads up as Cox . . . .
Agreed, but from an official scorer’s perspective, Chris should have 20 career TDs, because if Cox was not as astute and Mizzou recovered, Mizzou is headed the other way from the 20, again.

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
Evidently, we only have to worry about Chris fumbling into the end zone.

He fumbled crossing the end line against EMU or Toledo in 2019, and a tight end recovered it . . . and then later in the same game on about the 40 . . . what are the odds that 3 out of 4 fumbles in one career are on the goal line??

Based on a comment Coach Stoops made in his post-game presser he suspected Chris was already looking ahead to what would come after the score: Celebration? Accolades? NIL deal? Whatever, a definite loss of concentration.

in his post-game presser he suspected Chris was already looking ahead to what would come

I read his remarks a little more generously: maybe that CRod was shifting the ball to cross the plain.

Admittedly, Coach’s words were very open-ended, and open to interpretation.

Look at a replay that shows how CRod carries the ball. He carries it in the crook of his arm which leaves him open to the strip. I think he likes to have one arm free to "feel" the defender.

Now look at how Benny carried the ball. He clutched it to his chest with both arms over the ball. He carried like that almost every time, like the ball was the only thing keeping him alive.

I think they will work with CRod to adjust his carry style. I just hope it doesn't mess with him mentally.

Nice write up, The-Hack. Be sure to ask my friend Kybballczy some more starting lineups from the past. 😆 He speaks highly of you. GO CATS!

Now if we can just get observations from the other 99 yards we will be set.

giphy.gif

If you are a high-Tech redneck, do a side-by-side. Wasn’t Eddie Haskell the Beav’s older brother?
---
No, that was Wally. Eddie Haskell was Wally's annoying friend......along with Clarence (Lumpy) Rutherford. Now that I've got you straightened out Hack, I'm off to the salt mines.

Hearing “I am so f——ing wasted” over and over in my ear does not make me smile for the smile camera.

I’ve never reported anyone to security, but I would have been tempted in that circumstance.

I learned a drinking lesson at Vandy in 2003: don’t drink a fifth without assistance.

I had assistance getting back to the car, and was driven home.

I’ve never reported anyone to security, but I would have been tempted in that circumstance.

I learned a drinking lesson at Vandy in 2003: don’t drink a fifth without assistance.

I had assistance getting back to the car, and was driven home.
Yeah, I left in the fourth quarter and hung with friends at a tailgate, watching the end with them. It was good, because I don’t see them enough. That said, listening for the roar in the stadium before a big play is shown on TV is either comforting or not (blocked FG).

From the 30 yard line, I thought Wallace should have had 2 INTs. One at about the thirty that got bobbled and seemed close to him, but he did not seem to see. And, then, the one at the goal line that seemed like a big soft floating feather gift that he appeared to short-arm. He is a pup, but those would have been huge.

Reactions: teli and The-Hack
From the 30 yard line, I thought Wallace should have had 2 INTs. One at about the thirty that got bobbled and seemed close to him, but he did not seem to see. And, then, the one at the goal line that seemed like a big soft floating feather gift that he appeared to short-arm. He is a pup, but those would have been huge.
Wallace didn’t drop the interception at the goal line . Pretty sure it was Geiger .

Just as an interest. On Weaver’s sack, Bembry is lined up off the left guard. Paschal is next to him. Ox is at the nose. Weaver is set out wide off the right tackle. Weaver had been banging with the left tackle earlier in the series, but he switched sides. Square is a few feet off the right tackle.

Bembry dropped into coverage with the other four rushing. The center and right guard took on Ox, while Square occupied the right tackle. Weaver was untouched.

I suspect that had the right tackle swung his hip and took on Weaver, Square would have had the path, but only if Ox occupied both the center and right guard.

While I never heard Ox’s name all night, but now on the replay saw he played a great deal (participation list was greatly lacking), I have to give him some credit for that sack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT