ADVERTISEMENT

Oats was interested in UK job

I’ve been under the assumption this entire time that the only actual offer he made was to pope.

That’s what your athletic director did for you

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Name the college coaches in any sport you would pay over $10 million for a buyout? Nick Saban? That may be it for me.

I myself love the Pope hire and think he was outside Hurley the best choice. If and when Pope retires it may be 5 -10 years from now there will be some good candidates to take the reins.
That's the trend among top teams anyway. Established coaches are getting old, and/or carrying baggage. Time to build up an up and comer. Oats recruits Crips and Bloods. Hard pass.

Reactions: awf
Oats would have been the next Pitino, he’d have been a mercenary coach here for the $ and he would have mad 1-2 final fours in a 3 year stint and immediately taken an NBA job for less money.

Pope isn’t a mercenary. He’s the person who wanted to be the coach of Kentucky.

Exactly man I just don’t get why this was even dug up….. Who cares if Oates wanted the job he’s not our coach and we will get the pleasure of beating him next year also!

Our chances of beating Alabama next year are very slim. Things are going to be rough for a while for UK basketball. Big reason so many were initially in an uproar over the Pope hiring.

• Sad
Reactions: MathUK and awf
Its beginning to look like Pope was the only coach Mitch really wanted. He only offed guys that wouldn't take the job. I'm ok with it for now

If you are interested in a job, you tell the prospective business you are interested. You don't beg, you don't make them beg....especially when your prospective new employer is facing deadlines...like getting players.

Nate Oats would more than likely have faced the Sam deal as Pope. As would Hirley....who if you remember is NOT a name on the back of the jersey guy, or Donovan, who ended up being at least 9 days or more behind

This thing about whining about who didn't take the job needs to stop. It's not condusive to anything, recruiting, donations, support...nothing.

I swear there are people praying for Pope to fail so he and Barnhart will be fired. I sure hope these are trolls or opposing fans trying to stir the pot. I would hate to think Kentucky fans wish bad things on their own team.

Pope will be able to be judged soon enough, and his results over the next three years or so will be enough to determine his and Barnharts future.

Give it a rest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT