ADVERTISEMENT

O-line: Worst pass blocking I've seen with Kentucky

The o-line still should have been able to protect Brock better than it did. We have two super seniors and two that started last year for Florida and UT and Burton who’s started a lot in three years. That should be a good o-line but they were terrible and we never made any adjustments, SC is not even the best D line we will see, far from it. The coaching staff looked lost and stunned at what was happening. The penalties were outrageous, I’m glad I didn’t go, until they do better, I won’t go. It’s to far to drive from western Kentucky for more of the same after all of these years.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Yes. There did not seem to be any adjustments of any kind in the passing game. That one drive where they abandoned the passing game entirely and had a dozen or so runs back-to-back picked up nice yardage but could not get them into the end zone. Piecoro said a couple of times, the QB should just step up in the pocket instead of retreating backwards.
I remember one possession in particular. He had blockers to his sides and instead of staying in the pocket or stepping up, he goes backwards right into the defender. He didn't play well, but I'd probably have happy feet to after the poor protection he was receiving. There was another possession where 5 offensive linemen, a tight end, and a running back were blocking and he got pressured immediately. It was 7 blocking 3. There are major problems on the homefront.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
can't Pass block a 3-line rush, god awful.

Run blocking looks good as usual but we don't have a back that can tote the rock every down, nor have the heft to really push the line a few yards.

The O-line is why Brock is playing so rattled
Just strange how you can have good players at most positions and some two deep but the OL so pathetic. Not just the OL in blocking, our number 0 will not block for the QB. As good as he ran the ball his blocking was atrocious. I thought our experience on the OL would be a big plus but if the heart and toughness is not that we saw that experience doesn't matter. You would think out of 15 OL on the roster three or four would be decent bad boys.

When Wolford was here the first time our O Line was a shell of it's former self under Schlarman. When he left for Bama everyone was happy other than the fact he did it while on a recruiting trip for UK. There didn't seem to be anyone upset he was gone based on the job he had done and for some, including Freddie Maggard, they were celebrating like the monks when Ace Ventura left the monastery. Then he goes to Bama and their O Line was not up to the standards they had. It seems they also were celebrating when he left. What am I missing? This guy has done nothing with the O Line anywhere he has been and yet we hired him again?

I am surprised Kentucky has not sprinkled in some screens. this would help counter the rush
We tried one early and took about a four yard loss on it. Brock was pressured the second he took the snap. it was obvious the OLine wasn't going to protect him. In that situation we probably should have went with Wimsatt earlier because he was more effective running the ball than Brock.
We are obviously going to have to work in some short quick hitting passing routes if we want any semblance of a passing game. Will have to get the Tight ends more involved. regardless, we are likely in for a long season and our streak of eight straight bowls is on the line already.

Ok everyone is right / Oline was very poor in pass blocking
Vandergriff instead of stepping up in pocket and making decisive decisions he was exact opposite- retreating and panicking- missed several opportunities
Offensive coordinator was very poor - not having tight ends helping with stud defensive end
Not having a screen game ready or a short crisp route package installed
ALL SYSTEMS FAILURE

Reactions: secrules3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT