ADVERTISEMENT

Now the SEC teams' records vs ranked teams outside conf. (Surprising)

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
Ok, so yesterday I did the ranked B-12 teams. I looked at the currently and formerly ranked teams outside their conference that they played. Since I only did the B-12 teams that were ranked, and the SEC only has 1 ranked team, I looked at SEC teams that have beaten currently ranked teams. Since none of them besides us are ranked, there isn't much value in their records against formerly ranked teams. Anyway, we found that the SIX ranked B-12 teams had a record of 3-3 vs currently ranked teams outside the B-12. The FIVE SEC teams below have a record of 8-3 vs currently ranked teams outside the SEC, and 4 of those wins are against the B-12. Overall, the SEC's performance is pretty weak, but the top 5 performing teams have a much better record than those 6 ranked B-12 teams given the parameters of this exercise.

UK - 4-0 vs currently ranked teams. (KU 15-3, UL 15-3, UNC 14-4, Texas 14-4)

LSU - 1-0 vs currently ranked teams (WVU 15-3)

USC - 1-1 vs currently ranked teams (beat ISU 13-3, lost to Baylor 13-4)

Georgia - 1-1 vs currently ranked teams (Seton Hall 13-4, Gonzaga 18-1)

Arkansas 1-1 vs currently ranked teams (Dayton 15-2, lost to ISU 13-3)

I did not expect these results. I half bought in on the commonly held wisdom that the SEC hasn't beaten anybody.

This post was edited on 1/20 11:38 AM by SilentsAreGolden

This post was edited on 1/20 11:40 AM by SilentsAreGolden

This post was edited on 1/20 11:41 AM by SilentsAreGolden

I half bought in on the commonly held wisdom that the SEC hasn't beaten anybody.

The sad part that notion is possibly worse on this board than in the national media.

Don't share those records with Zipp. He would probably commit suicide. Well on second thought go ahead and share them.

So, other than Kentucky, the entire SEC has all of 5 total wins vs. ranked teams and we're supposed to be impressed by this?

Originally posted by Vandalayindustries:
So, other than Kentucky, the entire SEC has all of 5 total wins vs. ranked teams and we're supposed to be impressed by this?
I think you're missing the point. Those unranked SEC teams have nearly twice as many victories against ranked teams as all of the ranked teams in the Big 10 do.

Originally posted by Seth C:

I think you're missing the point. Those unranked SEC teams have nearly twice as many victories against ranked teams as all of the ranked teams in the Big 10 do.
The Big 10 ranked teams (Wisconsin, Maryland and Indiana) have 5 wins against ranked teams. Maybe you meant Big 12? Their ranked teams (Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa State) also have 4 wins vs. ranked teams. The SEC unranked teams have done better vs. ranked teams than other conferences ranked teams - if that is the overall point, I agree. But they also have terrible losses - if the SEC were just a little more consistent, particularly against the bad teams, they could be very strong.

What does surprise me is how weak the Big 12 OOC schedule is, especially other than Kansas.

The SEC overall is 9-14 vs. ranked teams.
The Big 12 is 4-6 vs. ranked teams.

So the SEC has played over twice as many games vs. ranked teams than the Big 12.

I wouldn't expect you to be no. And my point wasn't that the SEC is THAT impressive anyway. But it is significant that even taking UK out of it, those 4 other UNRANKED SEC teams have a better record against currently ranked teams outside it's own conference than the 6 RANKED B-12 teams do.

The fact that a few teams other than Kentucky have a decent record against the top 25 just means their losses are even worse as they are mostly outside the top 25.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:

I wouldn't expect you to be no. And my point wasn't that the SEC is THAT impressive anyway. But it is significant that even taking UK out of it, those 4 other UNRANKED SEC teams have a better record against currently ranked teams outside it's own conference than the 6 RANKED B-12 teams do.
Why are you cherry picking and including South Carolina and not Tennessee? Tennessee also beat a ranked team - maybe it's because they lost to 2 ranked teams and would negate your argument?

South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU Georgia (the 4 teams you picked)
4-3 (.571) vs. ranked OOC teams43-15 (.741) vs. unranked OOC teams
Top 6 teams from Big 12
4-4 (.500) vs. ranked OOC teams78-19 (.804) vs. unranked OOC teams
So when you take Kentucky and Tennessee out of it, the SEC has 1 more win vs top 25 teams, basically because they played 1 more game. And they have a significantly worse record vs. non-ranked teams.

So, good job on that.

This post was edited on 1/20 4:04 PM by Vandalayindustries

Ugh Vandal you are dreadful but trying to argue with you would be like arguing with a UL fan . You beleive what you want despite all the facts showing otherwise. Anyways as all the metrics , records ect show the SEC is a very good but not great conference as i have said. Last year we were like the 6th or 7th best conference , this year we are 3rd or 4th IMO at the very worst. Next year with the huge influx of talent we are getting i believe we will be as good as anyone .

ADVERTISEMENT