ADVERTISEMENT

Now THAT’S a tattoo

Almost all of my friends and immediate family have at least one tattoo, and a few are covered up everywhere except their heads and hands. I've never even considered getting one (or a piercing, or anything at all like that) but if that's your thing, go for it. XD

Here's what I never understood about the tattoo crowd. They say they do it because they "don't care about what people think about them." Ah, yes you do. If you didn't, you wouldn't spend the time and money to "express your individuality."
Oh, and for most those of you with the tribal tattoos. I bet you don't belong to a tribe.

I don't have any artwork, but don't care that anyone else does. Lamb certainly has the money to do as he damn well pleases with it. What I don't understand are people like the kid (he was probably in his 20's and still a kid to me) who was working with the roofing crew that was putting new roofs on the complex where my mom lived. I stopped by after work to check on her and this guy was getting a snack out of his lunch box in his truck when I pulled in. he was driving a rusted out S-10 with 4 bald tires, two of which had cords showing through, and he probably had $1K worth of artwork on him as he was covered from his neck down. Again, I didn't care that he had them, I just don't understand why you'd spend the money for that when you couldn't buy tires for your truck?

Here's what I never understood about the tattoo crowd. They say they do it because they "don't care about what people think about them." Ah, yes you do. If you didn't, you wouldn't spend the time and money to "express your individuality."
Oh, and for most those of you with the tribal tattoos. I bet you don't belong to a tribe.
I belong to the military tribe

I have a sleeve to my pec, you wouldn’t even know unless I wore short sleeves or shirtless. Everyone belongs to a tribe actually, sports, politics, church, gym, etc. being in a tribe is a natural human experience. Although I don’t like “tribal” tattoos as in random images and big swoops on the arm, but the ones the rock has Māori or Samoan tattoos are pretty dope. Native American tattoos are nice too.

My sleeve is all things I love. Flowers, the favorite flower of the most important women in my life, nautical symbols like anchors, compass, lighthouse representing my decade in the Keys and my pec is the state flower of Florida and Kentucky. Getting a thunderbird(not the car, nerds) on my abdomen next month.

Not huge on “scary” things like skulls, snakes and demons but if you want demons and skulls on you, have at it.

I’ve never said I don’t care what people think, I mean I don’t care but that’s not WHY I got them. I got them because they symbolize important people and times of my life. Most people get them for themselves in my experience, but there are some that get them to be “different” although these days NOT having a tattoo is more different probably.

I have a sleeve to my pec, you wouldn’t even know unless I wore short sleeves or shirtless. Everyone belongs to a tribe actually, sports, politics, church, gym, etc. being in a tribe is a natural human experience. Although I don’t like “tribal” tattoos as in random images and big swoops on the arm, but the ones the rock has Māori or Samoan tattoos are pretty dope. Native American tattoos are nice too.

My sleeve is all things I love. Flowers, the favorite flower of the most important women in my life, nautical symbols like anchors, compass, lighthouse representing my decade in the Keys and my pec is the state flower of Florida and Kentucky. Getting a thunderbird(not the car, nerds) on my abdomen next month.

Not huge on “scary” things like skulls, snakes and demons but if you want demons and skulls on you, have at it.

I’ve never said I don’t care what people think, I mean I don’t care but that’s not WHY I got them. I got them because they symbolize important people and times of my life. Most people get them for themselves in my experience, but there are some that get them to be “different” although these days NOT having a tattoo is more different probably.
When I was your age my momma told me not to get a tattoo of Roy Orbison. But what Mama don't know won't hurt her.

Glenn's take on tats. Ha

I don't think anyone is arguing for you to get one or sees tats as being rebellious these days. It's simply art and symbolism to the individual with the tattoo. Some are dumb, some are cool.

Reactions: roguemocha
I had a buddy that would run out and get whatever tattoo I said I was going to get before me. Now he’s stuck with a bunch of dumb ass tattoos that made sense when we were kids and I don’t have any.

• Haha
Reactions: J_Dee and blubo
Nothing like a good tattoo....or a bad one.

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Freetaxreturn
I would say when I have sat in on interviews the hiring principal(s) would automatically disqualify prospective attorneys due to seeing a tat peek thru the wrist area of men’s shirts/jacket and women alike. They would never say it but we all knew why and I agree with it, who would be taken seriously in court and representing a client or corporation with tats ? It’s not those for sure and the judges sure as hell don’t like it 🍺

Y’all is screwed.

youshallnottattooyourself_c6cd2f_5447014.jpg
You shall not trim and round off the side-growth of [the hair on] your heads, nor mar the edges of your beard. You shall not make any cuts on your body [in mourning] for the dead, nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves; I am the LORD.

Thats verses 27-28

If we're going OT, you dudes better have long hair and beards or you're going down with the tatted crowd.

You shall not trim and round off the side-growth of [the hair on] your heads, nor mar the edges of your beard. You shall not make any cuts on your body [in mourning] for the dead, nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves; I am the LORD.

Thats verses 27-28

If we're going OT, you dudes better have long hair and beards or you're going down with the tatted crowd.
Yeah old testament stuff was never meant for gentiles. That was part of the covenant between God and the Jews. Or so I'm told. And the Jews couldn't keep the covenant because that stuff was never realistic. Nobody could do it. That's when he sent Jesus and you're into the new testament. If I'm remembering correctly.

Also says you can’t wear clothes made of differing cloths too so we’re all headed to hell for our wardrobe.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix

Thats verses 27-28

I actually had an old man rant about tattoos and long hair being against God. I was curious how he got the long hair thing but I didn’t want to get another amateur sermon going.

• Haha
Reactions: Saven and chroix
I remember seeing a line out the door for $13 tattoos on Friday the 13th once at a shop in Lexington. $13 but you didn’t get to pick the design. A bunch of people I worked with at the time went and got one.

Never understood that

• Wow
Reactions: roguemocha
I don't have any artwork, but don't care that anyone else does. Lamb certainly has the money to do as he damn well pleases with it. What I don't understand are people like the kid (he was probably in his 20's and still a kid to me) who was working with the roofing crew that was putting new roofs on the complex where my mom lived. I stopped by after work to check on her and this guy was getting a snack out of his lunch box in his truck when I pulled in. he was driving a rusted out S-10 with 4 bald tires, two of which had cords showing through, and he probably had $1K worth of artwork on him as he was covered from his neck down. Again, I didn't care that he had them, I just don't understand why you'd spend the money for that when you couldn't buy tires for your truck?
Unless they were prison tats I would think they would have cost more than 1K but what do I know I don't have one and have no idea how much they cost. I'm just basing it on the fact it cost me, by wife and my daughter $150 to go eat at Texas De Brazil. 😂

Reactions: J_Dee
Tattoos are self-esteem issues kind of like plastic surgery starter kits.

Damn, I wonder how long that took. Whoever did it is obviously talented, but it seems a little busy.

I don’t judge based on tattoos unless they’re face tattoos. Or occasionally neck tattoos.

Tattoos are self-esteem issues kind of like plastic surgery starter kits.
Are you against teeth whitening, plucking ear/nose/eyebrow hair, shaving, hair styles, braces, exercising, etc? They’re all ways to make yourself look different than how you “normally” would look?

Are you against teeth whitening, plucking ear/nose/eyebrow hair, shaving, hair styles, braces, exercising, etc? They’re all ways to make yourself look different than how you “normally” would look?
No, I am for expressing yourself in any way that makes you happy about yourself including all the above. That is kind of my point. I don't see a big difference in tattoos than any of these things. You have a reason why you want to change something about yourself and the most common reason would be self-esteem. Pretty basic concept.

People seem to think if you offer an opinion on something that means you hate and want to fight to the death over the alternative. No, just a preference and a benign one at that.

No, I am for expressing yourself in any way that makes you happy about yourself including all the above. That is kind of my point. I don't see a big difference in tattoos than any of these things. You have a reason why you want to change something about yourself and the most common reason would be self-esteem. Pretty basic concept.

People seem to think if you offer an opinion on something that means you hate and want to fight to the death over the alternative. No, just a preference and a benign one at that.
But you’re saying it’s a self-esteem issue. That’s not true for everyone. You’re saying everyone that does anything to change their appearance is a self esteem issue. So literally EVERYONE has self esteem issues because EVERYONE changes their appearance.

I would say I do these things to be appealing to females(not the tattoos but the other aesthetic things). I whiten my teeth because no one says look at his beautiful yellow teeth! I workout because most gals like a person that’s in shape. I pluck my eyebrows because very few women would probably be like, “man I want to run my hands through that unibrow.” I keep my whole neck trimmed up because not many people are like, “Shewee that’s some nice neck hair.”

You’re painting with way too broad a brush and saying literally everyone besides unshaven, unkempt people are having self esteem issues.

How does "most common" mean "everyone" to you? Just curious.

Obviously I haven't conducted a scientific poll. Just my passing opinion on something. I want to look good, too. If I thought tats were attractive I'd get one. Especially if I was younger then almost certainly. My age, my era, never even dated a girl with one. Never dated a girl that smokes, either. Those would almost be unicorns, now. Not tats or smoking for me either, BTW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT